PDA

View Full Version : Psionic Question

shadow_archmagi
2010-04-04, 11:34 AM
I know you can only augment up to your manifester level, but does that mean

1. I am a 5th level psion. I am using a 1st level power, which costs 1 point. Since I am 5th level, I will add 5 more points, for a total of 6 points and a lovely bonus.

2. I am a 5th level psion. I am using a 1st level power, which costs one point. That means I can add another four points, since 4+1=5, and 5 is my limit.

jokey665
2010-04-04, 11:36 AM
(you can’t spend more power points on a power than your manifester level)
If your manifester level is 5, guess how many power points you can spend...

Hint: It isn't more than 5.

Zergrusheddie
2010-04-04, 11:36 AM
2. I am a 5th level psion. I am using a 1st level power, which costs one point. That means I can add another four points, since 4+1=5, and 5 is my limit.

The limit is base + augments.

alisbin
2010-04-04, 11:39 AM
the max total pp you can spend on a single power is equal to your ML, note that this includes both augmentations AND pp spent on metapsionics.

Yora
2010-04-04, 11:51 AM
There are a number of things you can do with power points, but no matter what combinations of feats and augmentations you use, the number of power points you can spend can never be higher than your class level.

The wilders wild surge ability could be seen as somewhat of an exception, as it allows you to get the same effect as if you had spend more power points. But even then, the number of actually spend power points is still limited by class level.

tyckspoon
2010-04-04, 11:59 AM
There are a number of things you can do with power points, but no matter what combinations of feats and augmentations you use, the number of power points you can spend can never be higher than your class level. manifester level.

Not the same things. Wild Surge, Overchannel, and caster-level boosters (transparency!) like Orange Ioun Stones increase your manifester level, which increases your PP-spent cap.

Yora
2010-04-04, 12:09 PM
Ideed, it seems I've been mistaken.

Overchannel does increase the effective manifester level.
Wild surge does as well, but also pays pp of an equal amount.

Does this improve things like range and duration as well? By RAW it seems so.

Yuki Akuma
2010-04-04, 12:10 PM
They increase your manifester level, so yes, the range, duration and so on are increased along with your PP cap.

Optimystik
2010-04-04, 12:20 PM
In case it wasn't clear OP, the second scenario is the correct one.

This is why 9th-level powers tend to cost 17 PP. At the level you learn them (17), that's all you can spend.

sonofzeal
2010-04-04, 04:23 PM
Indeed, it's the second one. To be even more clear, here's an extended example...

"I am a 5th level psion. I am using an Empowered 1st level power, which costs one point for the power and 2 for "empowered". That means I can add another two points, since 2+2+1=5, and 5 is my limit."

Sucks, but that's how it works.