PDA

View Full Version : Rule Interpretation help-Freedom of Movement and Mind-affecting effects.

Oslecamo
2010-04-04, 12:48 PM
Ok, playground, I need your opinions on a rules matter that will probably be needed soon for me.

Freedom of movement allows you to ignore any effects that would restrain your movement, and then gives some examples, but leaves open the option for more stuff it could ignore.

Stuff like death, solid walls and armor certainly fall on the field where freedom of movement won't help you.

But what about mind-affecting effects?

-Hold person shouldn't work, as it says it paralyzes the target.
-Ray of dizzyness looks awfull similar to Slow, allowing only one partial action per turn. But it doesn't actualy say the creature is slowed, and the fluff is diferent.
-Charm effects? Dominate?

Basicaly, does freedom of movement protects you from effects that make your mind work wrong whitout actualy restricting your body?

Your opinions on the matter? Thank you for your time.

Note: one should also take in acount balance as well. If freedom of movement, a 4th level spell, is shuting down several schools of magic at once, that probably isn't very right.

Zergrusheddie
2010-04-04, 12:56 PM
I don't think it would stop Mind-Effecting spells. That's what Mind Blank is for.

Yora
2010-04-04, 01:03 PM
This spell enables you or a creature you touch to move and attack normally for the duration of the spell, even under the influence of magic that usually impedes movement, such as paralysis, solid fog, slow, and web.
All the listed examples are physical effects. Either there is an external substance that limits your movement, or you can't move your body because the muscles don't work. No mind-effecting effects are listed, so I say RAI is that it doesn't protect against them.

And as said, there's another spell that is explicitly meant to counter such effects, and it's four levels higher.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-04-04, 01:32 PM
Dominate in no way inhibits your movement. Just your choices.