PDA

View Full Version : Speeding Up Craft Checks

mr.farche
2010-04-04, 02:32 PM
So, I'm trying to make the Dwarven Stone Armor that is in the arms and equipment guide for my character and I was wondering if there was anything that could possibly give me a better bonus on the check. Currently with my level of skill and rolling fairly high consistently it would take my character around 30 weeks of in game time, and I'm looking to decrease this time. I already have the +2 on craft checks for stone (and metal) items for being a dwarf, +2 for masterwork artisans tools, and an additional +2 bonus that my DM gave me for "practicing" by shaping (or sculpting) armored plates out of stone. Are there any rules for decreasing the time on craft checks, such as hiring a helper, getting a better set of tools, or cheap items or spells that can help this along?

Edit:
Unless I roll at least an 18, adding the +10 is not a very viable option for me. The DC for stone armor is 19, and with my current bonus (+11) that still leaves any roll under 4 a drastic failure, and with so much room for error (30+ weeks) I also want to reduce this window.

Starbuck_II
2010-04-04, 02:35 PM
So, I'm trying to make the Dwarven Stone Armor that is in the arms and equipment guide for my character and I was wondering if there was anything that could possibly give me a better bonus on the check. Currently with my level of skill and rolling fairly high consistently it would take my character around 30 weeks of in game time, and I'm looking to decrease this time. I already have the +2 on craft checks for stone (and metal) items for being a dwarf, +2 for masterwork artisans tools, and an additional +2 bonus that my DM gave me for "practicing" by shaping (or sculpting) armored plates out of stone. Are there any rules for decreasing the time on craft checks, such as hiring a helper, getting a better set of tools, or cheap items or spells that can help this along?

Helper each=aid another
They add +1 to your check.

mr.farche
2010-04-04, 02:37 PM
Hmmm... that does seem like a viable option, and a hireling could do that? Isn't there also a max number of people that can help you, or does the DM decide what is appropriate?

olelia
2010-04-04, 02:39 PM
This is in the craft skill under special at the bottom...should be what your wanting.

Special

A dwarf has a +2 racial bonus on Craft checks that are related to stone or metal, because dwarves are especially capable with stonework and metalwork.

A gnome has a +2 racial bonus on Craft (alchemy) checks because gnomes have sensitive noses.

You may voluntarily add +10 to the indicated DC to craft an item. This allows you to create the item more quickly (since you’ll be multiplying this higher DC by your Craft check result to determine progress). You must decide whether to increase the DC before you make each weekly or daily check.

To make an item using Craft (alchemy), you must have alchemical equipment and be a spellcaster. If you are working in a city, you can buy what you need as part of the raw materials cost to make the item, but alchemical equipment is difficult or impossible to come by in some places. Purchasing and maintaining an alchemist’s lab grants a +2 circumstance bonus on Craft (alchemy) checks because you have the perfect tools for the job, but it does not affect the cost of any items made using the skill.

mr.farche
2010-04-04, 02:44 PM
Unless I roll at least an 18, adding the +10 is not a very viable option for me. The DC for stone armor is 19, and with my current bonus (+11) that still leaves any roll under 4 a drastic failure, and with so much room for error (30+ weeks) I also want to reduce this window.

olelia
2010-04-04, 02:49 PM
Well..see..now we know what your bonus is :smallbiggrin:

Edit: to elaborate..it wasn't stated in the OP..so was going off assumption it was very high.

mr.farche
2010-04-04, 02:53 PM
I'll include that in the OP

olelia
2010-04-04, 03:15 PM
In the same book on pg 63 it says to hire an armor smith is 3 sp per day. You could always ask if instead of assisting you if the Armorsmith could add his craft check to yours each week. This could represent working on different pieces at the same time.

AdalKar
2010-04-04, 03:18 PM
Nothing that is in the rules as far as I know but maybe you can talk with your DM to rent a magic hammer of crafting +X.
You would have a better bonus and you wouldn't need to buy a magic item for a thing you only want to do one time.
I did that sometimes in my campains, so you can craft it faster and don't waste too much additional money on it.

mr.farche
2010-04-04, 03:27 PM
In the same book on pg 63 it says to hire an armor smith is 3 sp per day. You could always ask if instead of assisting you if the Armorsmith could add his craft check to yours each week. This could represent working on different pieces at the same time.

In which book? The Players Handbook? Also, does it tell me what an armor smith's bonus is?

Starbuck_II
2010-04-04, 03:34 PM
In which book? The Players Handbook? Also, does it tell me what an armor smith's bonus is?

Arms and Euipment Guide I assume is what he means.

deuxhero
2010-04-04, 03:37 PM
Borrow the wizard's shiny headband (or get one yourself).

edit:wait, you want to speed things up so you have less of a chance to screw up? If you have the time to craft you can take 10 you know...

mr.farche
2010-04-04, 04:39 PM
Borrow the wizard's shiny headband (or get one yourself).

edit:wait, you want to speed things up so you have less of a chance to screw up? If you have the time to craft you can take 10 you know...

Take 10?!?!? Where does it say that??? Also how much does it cost to get magic items that increase skill checks?

deuxhero
2010-04-04, 05:05 PM
Under skills. See Taking 10 and taking 20.

mr.farche
2010-04-04, 05:50 PM
Hmmm... yes I see, that helps A LOT. Now I can calculate exactly how long it will take to make items.:smallbiggrin:

Shalist
2010-04-04, 06:04 PM
In Races of Stone (pg 167) there's two forges that might help, if you're a dwarfy type who could get access to them:

Forge of Sustenance: Allows you to work without eating, sleeping, or even breathing, allowing you to make three checks / week instead of one.

Forge of the Armorsmith: Provides a +20 competence bonus to your craft (armor) checks...combined with adding 20 to the DC, this could do wonders for trimming down the time. Combined with the other forge, it could really do wonders in trimming down the crafting time.

On a side note, 'magic of Faerun' has a 'hammer of the weaponsmith' for a +10 (edit) competence circumstance (/edit) bonus to that craft for 2500g...it certainly seems reasonable that a fairly similar 'hammer of the armorsmith' might be floating around. Combined with the other 2 suggestions...+30 to your check, 3 checks per week...

(Or you could just lend the +10 hammer to a wizardly type, and have him 'fabricate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/fabricate.htm)' the armor in a single round :P )

edit:
(1750 g => 17500 s)
If nothing else, get a masterwork tool (+2), 3 assistants (+6) => +19 to your check...combined with 'taking 10,' you'll be guaranteed to hit DC 29 exactly with every check, which trims it down to (17500 / (29 * 29) 21 weeks.

Or if you kiss a bit of dwarven rump to earn some time with those forges, you and your hirelings could add 20 to the DC, and always get a check of 57, allowing you to finish in (17500/(39*57) => 8 checks; 3 checks/week) 3 weeks, though you might have to pay your hired help a bit of overtime.

edit 2:

All magic aside, a trained hireling will always hit 19 with help (+0 stat +1 skill +2 tool + 6 helpers => 'take 10' for a 19)...so just hire 3 armorsmiths and 9 apprentices to work on the armor in shifts, and it'll be completed in (17500/(19*19)) just over 16 weeks without any fancy magic, or any real effort on your part. The help would cost ~400g, but it'd be worth it.

mr.farche
2010-04-05, 12:22 AM
You know I could just fabricate it but that wouldn't be cool or personal at all would it... :smallamused: Thanks for all those tips too, my friend told me about that spell in magic of faerun but he didn't remember the name. Thanks for all the help!!

Edit: I'm also a dwarf, so kissin' ass probably wouldn't be as hard :smallbiggrin: