PDA

View Full Version : Drizzt weapons

Duskranger
2010-04-04, 03:31 PM
Everyone that has read the books about Drizzt Do'Urden knows what I'm talking about. At least if you did read the Transitions series. The question is as following: What would be the stats of Athrogates weapons. I mean, what can you make of his glassteel morningstars (or flails as they are actually). And what would Taulmaril be. Or Aegisfang (oke, returning warhammer at least, but there is more right?).

Dusk Eclipse
2010-04-04, 03:40 PM
I think in wikipedia they stated up them for aegis fang a throwing returning giantbane(?) war hammer.

Temotei
2010-04-04, 03:42 PM
Here's (http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/drizzt-35.htm) something.

Duskranger
2010-04-04, 03:52 PM
Indeed, there are almost al the weapons except for Athrogate, which is in my opinion one of the coolest characters in the complete series. Oke Pwent is also cool, but he's more of a no brainer.But off course Pwent also has weapons, what are those?

hamishspence
2010-04-04, 03:54 PM
In Silver Marches Aegis-fang is statted out as a +4 throwing maul of returning.

Dragon 359 (Sepetember 2007) stats out Charon's Claw as a minor artifact (+4 keen smoking longsword) with the ability to disintegrate wielders if they aren't strong-willed enough.

Harperfan7
2010-04-04, 04:51 PM
Aegisfang definitely has distance and probably giantbane too (in addition to throwing and returning).

Icingdeath isn't a frost weapon. It's a frostbrand outsider (fire? evil?) bane weapon.

Charon's claw has to have wounding (3.0 version).

Athrogates flails: one has the rusting ability (I don't know where I've seen that, but its basically rusting grasp on your weapon x/day), and I don't know if oil of impact stats have ever been made, but you could just use force or collision and knockback.

Taulmaril is definitely a force weapon, probably collision too (if that can be put on projectiles). Maybe shock/burst or screaming/thundering. Some of this might be the quiver and not the bow.

Also, Drizzt wears the silk shirt under his armor, its just a torso slot item that grants DR or fortification.

EDIT: Over a year ago, I found a site where somebody gave all the drizzt characters stats that were actually accurate. I have no idea where that is, though. Wulfgar had that template where you have +2 to an ability and +4 to checks with it (for strength). Guen was a dire panther of correct size (600lbs and all). Drizzt had higher dex and scout/dervish levels and all the items made sense.

elonin
2010-04-04, 05:18 PM
At the risk of being a bit off topic for this thread title isn't Drizzt a bit weakly built?

I stopped reading those books just after he chased Artimis Entrari in the underdark. Or was it when he defeated that demon again.

Harperfan7
2010-04-04, 05:22 PM
They gave him those stats at the start of 3.0 when the developers had even less an idea of what they were doing than now.

Eldariel
2010-04-04, 05:28 PM
At the risk of being a bit off topic for this thread title isn't Drizzt a bit weakly built?

The FRCS-version? Yeah, he's horrible; level 16 Drow (marked as CR 18, prolly for over-NPC gear) that wouldn't really challenge a level 9 party. His AC is 23, his To Hit is +17/+16/+12/+11/+7/+2, his HP is 124 and his damage is 1d6+6+1d6 for mainhand and 1d6+4 for the offhand. He can Rage for bit extra, but that's about it.

And yeah... His overall capabilities (outside SR and saves) are about equivalent to a CR 10 MM Fire Giant. Only his skills are above par. He's really an example of every way NOT to build a character in 3.X; and to consider his AD&D 2e build was actually excellent *shudder*

Smiling Knight
2010-04-04, 05:42 PM
What was his 2e build, out of curiosity?

Eldariel
2010-04-04, 05:51 PM
What was his 2e build, out of curiosity?

Drow Ranger 16. Basically, Drow wasn't really meant for a Player-race back then so this resulted in a fairly strong build (though now that I check it, it wasn't as good as I remembered; he still ran with only 13 Str, though his Int and Wis were immense).

Still, 5 attacks, 1d8+7 & 1d8+5 damage respectively (with AD&D HP, that's actually pretty impressive especially being able to strike after movement), 82% magic resistance, AC -8, 92 HP. THAC0 5 is pretty meh though; you'd expect THAC0 0 or so on those levels. I guess his lack of Str really hurts him there.

Also, he has some spellcasting (from Ranger), nice stealth skills (courtesy of Ranger again) and yeah. See here:
http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/drizzt-2nd.htm

AslanCross
2010-04-04, 07:04 PM
http://ww2.wizards.com/Books/Wizards/?doc=fr_lonedrowstats

Here's a bunch of stats for the characters that Wizards came up with.

EDIT: Well that's fantastic. The link is dead. <_< It had Taulmaril as a +3 force keen elvencraft longbow.

Eldariel
2010-04-04, 07:26 PM
http://ww2.wizards.com/Books/Wizards/?doc=fr_lonedrowstats

Here's a bunch of stats for the characters that Wizards came up with.

EDIT: Well that's fantastic. The link is dead. <_< It had Taulmaril as a +3 force keen elvencraft longbow.

Web Archive to the rescue (http://web.archive.org/web/20080424060219/http://ww2.wizards.com/Books/Wizards/?doc=fr_lonedrowstats).

elonin
2010-04-04, 07:37 PM
Drow Ranger 16. Basically, Drow wasn't really meant for a Player-race back then so this resulted in a fairly strong build (though now that I check it, it wasn't as good as I remembered; he still ran with only 13 Str, though his Int and Wis were immense).

Still, 5 attacks, 1d8+7 & 1d8+5 damage respectively (with AD&D HP, that's actually pretty impressive especially being able to strike after movement), 82% magic resistance, AC -8, 92 HP. THAC0 5 is pretty meh though; you'd expect THAC0 0 or so on those levels. I guess his lack of Str really hurts him there.

Also, he has some spellcasting (from Ranger), nice stealth skills (courtesy of Ranger again) and yeah. See here:
http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/drizzt-2nd.htm

A better build would have more levels of dervish, dumping the levels of rogue for scout and fighter levels for scout or ranger levels. Then take swift ambusher for some more synergy.

Eldariel
2010-04-04, 07:40 PM
A better build would have more levels of dervish, dumping the levels of rogue for scout and fighter levels for scout or ranger levels. Then take swift ambusher for some more synergy.

He was published before any of those existed. Still, better build would've involved even just higher Str, full Weapon Focus-line (lol, better!) and 3.X-useful magic items. And yeah, even better build would use Rogue. With just Core-stuff at any rate.

Runestar
2010-04-04, 08:53 PM
His stats were a holdover from 2e, where he had only 13str but 20 dex. 17int and wis as well.

Which such a high dex-str disparity, he really should find some way of finessing his weapons. Dervish seems like a good fit. I seem to recall some feat called graceful edge from the age of worms adventure which does a similar thing as well.

Duskranger
2010-04-05, 04:24 AM
I actually thought Drizzt would be epic, just like Bruenor. Catti-Brie and Wulfgar would be behind them around lvl 18 or so.

Gorbash
2010-04-05, 04:51 AM
I actually thought Drizzt would be epic, just like Bruenor.

Erm... Bruenor is a lvl 13 Fighter.

Duskranger
2010-04-05, 04:53 AM
I find it strange though. What are the tats of Entreri in that case. Lvl 15 rogue?

I expected them to be more epic. But that's probably my mistake.

Gorbash
2010-04-05, 04:58 AM
Rogue 4/Ranger 1/Fighter 12/Assassin 1

Duskranger
2010-04-05, 04:59 AM
While we're bizzy can you stat Athrogate and his weapons :smallbiggrin: Especially the weapons by the way.

Sholos
2010-04-05, 05:29 AM
Rogue 4/Ranger 1/Fighter 12/Assassin 1

Who is that supposed to be? If that's Entreri, someone has failed massively. There's no way the majority of his levels are not Rogue/Assassin.

On another note, I think there's a reason that none of these characters were ever given character sheets by Salvatore.

Zombimode
2010-04-05, 05:39 AM
THAC0 5 is pretty meh though; you'd expect THAC0 0 or so on those levels. I guess his lack of Str really hurts him there.

Thats his BASE THAC0 (for beeing a fighter class level 16). His effective THAC0 would be 5-0, depending with which weapon he slashes and how much of his +5 defender sword he would convert to AC bonus.

Gorbash
2010-04-05, 05:42 AM
Who is that supposed to be? If that's Entreri, someone has failed massively. There's no way the majority of his levels are not Rogue/Assassin.

Why? Drizzt is a Ranger, yet most of his levels aren't Ranger levels. Entreri is good at sneaking, diguising and assassinating people, but usually by beating the crap out of them. He's an assassin, but not Assassin. Also, Assassins are spellcasters and Entreri doesn't cast spells.

While we're bizzy can you stat Athrogate and his weapons

Sorry, but nobody stated him officially or unofficially (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19846694/Realms_NPC_Characters_II) yet.

Fallbot
2010-04-05, 05:48 AM
4E Drizz't is statted out in the character builder up to level 21, for those that care. I don't have it myself, but my horrified DM told me he's at -10 on the point buy system with starting scores of 16, 13, 16+2, 13, 15 and 9+2. :smallannoyed: Apparently his feat progression is retarded (no scimitar dance until level 20???), and his swords are a brilliant energy weapon +5, and some kind of frost weapon.

Runestar
2010-04-05, 05:57 AM

Entreri fights way too well be just be a pure-classed rogue (too little bab), and I believe he would be an assassin in name (ie: a person who kills for money) and not an assassin in class (he doesn't really display any of the abilities of the assassin prc, such as death attack or using poison). Heck, he doesn't even cast spells!

I am tempted to replace his sole lv of assassin with a 2nd lv of ranger, which grants him free TWF. Plus, ToB is a godsend with shadow blade, which lets him add his dex mod to damage with short sword and dagger (which he incidentally favours), gloom razor and assassin's stance (adding another +2d6 SA). PHB2 has melee weapon mastery and 2-weapon rend.

Though it seems a little funny that he would actually have more class lvs than drizzt, who has trained much longer than him. :smalltongue:

Gorbash
2010-04-05, 06:22 AM
Though it seems a little funny that he would actually have more class lvs than drizzt, who has trained much longer than him.

That had to be done because they have to be same CR. That's the mechanics.

Fluffwise, it's been described time and again that due to short lived nature of the humans, they tend to be more ambitious and faster in their progression, while the long-lived races tend to take it slow (that's why not every Elf Wizard is lvl 30).

But Entreri is a Quasi-Shade now, so we'll see how it goes. Although I dislike the new Faerun with great intensity, so I don't think I'll be reading Drizzt series past Transitions. Or any other Faerun novel, for that matter, except Erevis Cale...

elonin
2010-04-05, 04:07 PM
What happened to Entrari to make him a shade? Last book I read left him with flying off unconscious. Assassin spells remind me of ranger spells, few of which would lead anyone as being spells except for showcasing the personal abilities. Entrari doesn't strike me as someone who should have much in the way of non-sneak attack progressing levels. I'd give him some fighter variant that progresses sneak attack at the cost of bonus feats, then trade out the extra armor and weapon proficiency for the stealth and observing skills as class.

BTW Drizzt doesn't cast spells or have an animal companion (gwen?) either so calling those levels ranger is odd except for his selection of who to worship.

lightningcat
2010-04-05, 04:59 PM
Both Drizzt's and Entrari classes where selected back in either 2e or 3e when core was the only options. If they were being built now they would be very different.

herrhauptmann
2010-04-05, 05:59 PM
That had to be done because they have to be same CR. That's the mechanics.

Additionally, I'd swear that their 3.0 stats are nearly identical as well. Equal levels and stats makes characters who should be roughly equal in power, especially since neither was powergamed.
And since almost since his inception, Drizzt has been equal to Artemis, with them generally swapping victory in each fight.

Bruennor is level 14 fighter.
Wulfgar is a level 9 or 10 barbarian.
I know that 2nd Ed Regis was a level 5 rogue or thereabouts.
Catti-brie? A level 12 Mary Sue. Or maybe she's gestalting herself. First fighter, then starting over as a ranger (archery), then starting over again as a wizard. (I've read up to Orc King...)

herrhauptmann
2010-04-05, 06:02 PM
I don't think I'll be reading Drizzt series past Transitions. Or any other Faerun novel, for that matter, except Erevis Cale...
This. I'm interested in reading the story of how Cale and Riven put down the Cyricist priest they keep mentioning at the start of the first book in the EC trilogy. A friend of mine also has met Kemp, says that Kemp runs an awesome game.

Has a 'shade' type race been released somewhere for 4.0 yet?

Gorbash
2010-04-05, 06:18 PM
Bruennor is level 14 fighter.

Check Silver Marches, you'll see that he's a 14th lvl Fighter. :smallwink:

I think both Cattie Brie and Regis are lvl 7 Fighter and Rogue, respectively.

What happened to Entrari to make him a shade?

He killed a shade with his soul sucking dagger so now he ages slower and something else. Probably a plot trick in order to keep him alive for a trliogy or two more. :smalltongue:

This. I'm interested in reading the story of how Cale and Riven put down the Cyricist priest they keep mentioning at the start of the first book in the EC trilogy. A friend of mine also has met Kemp, says that Kemp runs an awesome game.

You started out with Twilight War? Bad idea. The original trilogy (Erevis Cale trilogy) is better, albeit less epic.

herrhauptmann
2010-04-05, 06:24 PM
You started out with Twilight War? Bad idea. The original trilogy (Erevis Cale trilogy) is better, albeit less epic.
But where did I say I started out with Twilight War? Various times in the EC trilogy, Cale and Riven make references to working well together to kill a priest of cyric. By the time of Shadowbred, they don't bother with that explanation, because they know it, and have come to terms with their respective status.

Ahh, I remember the partial shade thing now. It was mentioned in Promise of Witchking, wasn't it? As something that happened between books.

Gorbash
2010-04-05, 06:32 PM
Cale and Riven make references to working well together to kill a priest of cyric

Can't remember which one they're refering to. The only priest of Cyric they killed (and not even together) was the Righteous Man, and I can't even remember whether he was a priest or no. They worked together against the Slaad but really not one priest springs to mind...

Ahh, I remember the partial shade thing now. It was mentioned in Promise of Witchking, wasn't it? As something that happened between books.

Yeah, it was a short story published in Realms of ...something book. Shade comes after Jarlaxle and Artemis because Charon's Claw is an ancient Netherese weapon yada yada.

herrhauptmann
2010-04-05, 06:50 PM
Can't remember which one they're refering to. The only priest of Cyric they killed (and not even together) was the Righteous Man, and I can't even remember whether he was a priest or no. They worked together against the Slaad but really not one priest springs to mind...

The righteous man was a priest of mask, and that was Cale and Fleet. Furthermore, it wasn't even in the EC Trilogy, it was that 7 book series by the different authors which came before EC trilogy.
EC book one was a wizard who followed Cyric, and was a shadow adept.

Bah, those "realms of " anthologies generally suck. Thanks for the reminder though.

Gorbash
2010-04-05, 07:18 PM
The righteous man was a priest of mask, and that was Cale and Fleet.

Not really. He just worshiped him. And also, Riven killed Righteous Man, but Cale and Jak killed the Shadow Demon that was possessing his body.

Furthermore, it wasn't even in the EC Trilogy, it was that 7 book series by the different authors which came before EC trilogy.

And once again, no. I read Halls of the Stormweather a few days ago, and in that story (Resurrection) Jak and Cale are fighting against Riven.

So, I don't really know which Priest of Cyric are they refering to...

herrhauptmann
2010-04-05, 08:48 PM
Not really. He just worshiped him. And also, Riven killed Righteous Man, but Cale and Jak killed the Shadow Demon that was possessing his body.
And once again, no. I read Halls of the Stormweather a few days ago, and in that story (Resurrection) Jak and Cale are fighting against Riven.

So, I don't really know which Priest of Cyric are they refering to...
First off, Halls of Stormweather is an anthology of 7 stories. This is "Shadow's Witness" book two of Sembia: Gateway to the Realms.

I'm rereading the books right now. You can nitpick and say that Riven killed the Righteous man, while Cale and Jak killed the demon. But! Afterwards, Cale speaks to the Righteous Man.

His body was home to the demon, but his body and soul both continued to live. One to provide a shell for the demon, the other to give the demon something to snack on/talk to when he felt like it.
If it were otherwise, the Righteous Man would've been unable to speak to Cale at the end of the book when the demon had been defeated.
Second, it is stated repeatedly that the Righteous Man is a priest of Mask. Not a wizard or other layman who worships Mask. "Religion turns men into zealots, Ansril and Jak were exceptions to the rule" -Cale. Note that Cale specifically clerics, not someone like Thamalon who prays before Tymora and Waukeen but is unable to cast spells.

If you're unsure which Cyric priest I was referring to originally, reread book three of the Erevis Cale trilogy. It's just after the first fight, while they're on the Shadow Plane.

edit: Yes in the Cale short story in "halls of stormweather" Cale and Fleet fight Riven. But that has nothing to do with the conversation we were having.

Amiel
2010-04-10, 12:11 PM
Drizzt Do’Urden, of House Daermon N’a’shezbaernon
Barbarian 1/Fighter 10/Ranger 6 of Mielikki
Medium Humanoid (Drow, Elf)
Hit Dice: 1d12 + 10d10 + 6d10 + 34 (137 hp)
Initiative: +10 (+6 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: 80 ft. (16 squares)
Armor Class: 27 (+10 armor, +6 Dexterity, +1 dodge), touch 17, flat-footed 21
Base Attack/CMD: +17/+18; Combat Maneuver Bonus: 24
Attack: Icingdeath +24 melee (1d6+6 + 1d6 cold/15–20/x2 + 1d6 cold) and Twinkle +26 melee (1d6+8/15–20/x2)
Full Attack: Icingdeath +24/+19/+14/+9 melee (1d6+6 + 1d6 cold/15–20/x2 + 1d6 cold) and Twinkle +26/+21/+16 melee (1d6+8/15–20/x2)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./ 5 ft.
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities, spell resistance 28, spells
Special Qualities: Ambidexterity, animal companion (Guenhwyvar), armor training, bravery, drow traits, fast movement, favored enemy (goblinoids +4, magical beasts +2), favored terrain (cold), hunter’s bond (Guenhwyvar), rage, track, weapon training, wild empathy
Saves: Fort +16, Ref +15, Will +8 (+11 against fear)
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 22, Con 15, Int 17, Wis 17, Cha 14
Skills: Acrobatics +20, Climb +10, Escape Artist +8 (+10 with ropes), Handle Animal +9, Intimidate +5, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +8, Knowledge (geography) +3, Knowledge (nature) +12, Perception +21, Ride +10, Sleight of Hand +12, Stealth +21, Survival +18, Use Rope +12
Feats: Agile Maneuvers, Blind Fight, Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Daylight Adaptation, Deft Hands, Dodge, Double Slice B, Endurance B, Greater Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Initiative B, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Mobility, Quick Draw, Spring Attack, Two-Weapon Defense, Two-Weapon Fighting, Two-Weapon Rend, Weapon Focus (scimitar), Weapon Swap B
Environment: Mithral Hall or Icewind Dale, the Sword Coast North
Organization: Unique (solitary) or pair (Drizzt and Guenhwyvar) or party (Companions of the Hall)
Challenge Rating: 19
Treasure: Standard plus Icingdeath, Twinkle, bracers of blinding strike, onyx figurine of wondrous power, +4 mithral chain shirt
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Advancement: ––
Level Adjustment: +2

Combat

Armor Training (Ex): Drizzt gains added protection from the armor he is wearing. While wearing his mithral chain shirt, he benefits from a further +2 armor bonus to armor class and a -2 reduced armor check penalty.

Drow Traits: Drizzt receives a +2 bonus on sight- and sound-based Perception checks. Drizzt is immune to magic sleep effects and gets a +2 racial saving throw against spells and spell-like abilities. He has darkvision out to 120 ft.

Favored Terrain (Ex): Whenever Drizzt is within tundra or otherwise glacial environments, he receives a +2 bonus on Knowledge (geography), Perception, Stealth and Survival skill checks. Likewise, he gains a +1 bonus on initiative checks when in this terrain. These benefits have not been factored into the statistics block above.

Rage (Ex): With shimmering fires in his lavender eyes, Drizzt may draw upon his primal ferocity and call upon his alter persona of the Hunter. During his rage, Drizzt gains a +4 bonus to his Strength and Constitution, a +2 morale bonus on Will saves, and a -2 penalty to Armor Class. While raged, Drizzt cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills or any ability that requires patience or concentration.
During his rage, Drizzt has the following statistics instead of those given above; hp 171; AC 25, touch 15, flat-footed 19; Full Attack Icingdeath +26/+21/+16/+11 melee (1d6+8 + 1d6 cold/15–20/x2) and Twinkle +28/+23/+18 melee (1d6+10/15–20/x2); SV Fort +18, Will +10; Str 17, Con 19; Skills: Climb +12.

Ranger Spells per Day: 1st – calm animal. Drizzt casts spells as a 3rd level caster. Save DC = 13 + spell level.

Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day – dancing lights, darkness, faerie fire. Caster level 16th. Save DC = 12 + spell level.

Weapon Training (Ex): Drizzt’s tutelage and training under Zaknafein and his tenure within Melee-Magthere means his proficiency with weapons greatly exceeds the norm. He receives a +2 bonus on attack and damage rolls while wielding heavy blades and benefits from a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls while wielding light blades.

Bracers of Blinding Strike: Taken from the deceased House Baenre Weaponmaster, Dantrag, this powerful magic item confers different abilities depending on the body slot it occupies.
When worn as bracers, these bracers of armor +5 give the wearer free access to the Improved Initiative feat. In addition, the wearer may, as part of a full attack option, make additional attacks at the wielder’s full base attack bonus. This benefit does not stack with cumulative effects, for example, wearers with the bracers will not additionally benefit from weapons of speed or a haste spell.
When occupying the boot slot, these anklets effectively double the speed of the wearer. It likewise grants Improved Initiative as a virtual feat but disallows additional attacks. In addition, wearers gain a +1 dodge bonus to Armor Class and Reflex saves.

Icingdeath: Cold forged to a diamond edge from hard-packed ice taken from a glacier, this beautiful weapon has a silvery blade and gem-encrusted pommel. Its hilt is crafted from adamantine and is sculpted into the likeness of the toothed maw of a great hunting cat. Icingdeath is a +3 evil outsider bane keen frost band scimitar that constantly protects Drizzt from fire, extinguishing fires in its radius and hungering for more flames to absorb.

Twinkle: Presented to Drizzt from Malchor of the Harpells as a replacement for a lost scimitar, this priceless gift was forged by elves in the magic of the powers of starlight, moonlight, the mysteries of elven souls, rainbows and imbued with everything they hold dear. This +5 defending keen scimitar has a single star-cut stapphire set in its pommel and glows a softly blue when it detects danger nearby. Calling Twinkle by its name elicits a radiant sapphire shine from within, this glow trails light when Drizzt wields it in combat.

SoC175
2010-04-10, 02:57 PM
About the killing of the priest of Cyric, it was a short story in Dragon Magazine