PDA

View Full Version : Favorite gestalt build [3.5]

Lord of Syntax
2010-04-04, 04:16 PM
What are everyone's favorite gestalt builds?
Mine is a Necropolitian High Elf Spell to Power Erudite 9/Ur-Priest 1/Psychic Theurge 9/Tainted Psion 1//Warlock 1/Tainted Scholar 1/Warlock +4/Swordsage 2/Telfammer Shadowlord 4/Lion Spirit Totem Barbarian 1/Jade Phoenix Mage 7
That's right, a quadruple 9s infinite spells buckets o' attacks build.
He uses Tainted Scholar and Tainted Psion in it to essentially have every psionic power, arcane spell, and cleric spell as an at will ability due to Genesis abuse.
This has houserules.

Critical
2010-04-04, 04:23 PM
Mine is Monk 1/Spell to Power Erudite 9/Ur-Priest 1/Psychic Theurge 9//Rogue 7/Kensai 10/Pyrokineticist 3.
That's right, a triple 9s gish build.

Shouldn't this build be banned by the gestalt rules? :smallconfused:

Lord of Syntax
2010-04-04, 04:25 PM
I know of no one who uses that no PrCs on both sides rule.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-04-04, 04:26 PM

I believe he refers to dual advancement prg class.

Mongoose87
2010-04-04, 04:26 PM
I might be missing something, but, I only count two nines.

JaronK
2010-04-04, 04:33 PM

I do it. I know of no one around my area that fails to use it. And it's not really a gestalt build if it only works with a house ruled version of Gestalt.

I'm a fan of Factotum 20//Warblade 20 for a smart combatant type, or Factotum 20//Archivist 20 for raw power. If dual advancement PrCs are allowed (that part's just a suggestion as written) then Factotum 20//Binder 1/Archivist 3/Anima Mage 10/Tainted Sorcerer 1/Tenebrous Apostate 5 is the ultimate in raw power.

Lion Totem Wolf Totem Barbarian 2/Crusader 18//Feat Rogue 4/Dungeoncrasher Fighter 6/War Hulk 10 is all kinds of fun, basically combining the Smiteadin with the Bulldozer for smashy smashy goodness.

JaronK

Lord of Syntax
2010-04-04, 04:44 PM
I believe he refers to dual advancement prg class.

It is on the same side, and that was clarified by errata.

I might be missing something, but, I only count two nines.
Spell to Power Erudite lets you take any arcane spell as a psionic power.

Godskook
2010-04-04, 04:55 PM
Currently, my favorite two are the Dragonborn DFA//Dragon Shaman, and the Sorcadin+. The first has great con synergy and is a powerful blaster and battlefield controller. The Sorcadin+ picks up better spell progression and goes dip-happy on the other side.

JaronK
2010-04-04, 04:55 PM
It is on the same side, and that was clarified by errata.

Wait, which errata said that?

JaronK

Lord of Syntax
2010-04-04, 04:56 PM
The one of the book it is in, silly.

deuxhero
2010-04-04, 05:02 PM
Wizard/wizard prc//factotum 8/warblade 12 in terms of shear power.

JaronK
2010-04-04, 05:07 PM
The one of the book it is in, silly.

Do you have a link? My searches are only returning the errata for the original (first edition) book.

JaronK

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-04-04, 05:29 PM
There is no official UA errata. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a)

RAW, dual-progression prestige classes cannot be used in gestalt.
RAW, you cannot take two prestige classes side by side on the same level in gestalt.
Your build is entirely dependent on two houserules being in place. I've played in quite a few gestalt games, and I have never seen both of those things houseruled in one game.

Lord of Syntax
2010-04-04, 05:42 PM
Is this the "Favorate RAW gestalt build with the stupid rules that no one really likes" thread?

Godskook
2010-04-04, 05:54 PM
For it to be any use to people in general, we must assume the only standard that can reasonably be expected to apply to others, and that's RAW or RAI, not houserules. Hybrid PrCs on both sides of a gestalt are decidedly not RAW or RAI, and thus isn't very useful to most people, especially if not tagged with a "This is using houserules" line since that'll cause confusion to those who aren't savvy to the rules.

Trenelus
2010-04-04, 06:03 PM
I really enjoy playing this:
Fujitake Kai
LN male human monk 6/iaijutsu master 10/shou disciple 4 //
samurai (OA) 2/swashbuckler 3/ shou disciple 1/duskblade 14
Concepts: Man of Honor. Martial Artist. Swordmaster. Master Baker.
Handsome young man wearing hakama and daisho.
"Nothing is impossible to one who has mastered the sword!"

We are currently at lv 5, so only 2 more levels of sucking before it starst to pay.

Also worth mentioning that we are using normal no dual-progression prestige classes or no two prestige classes side by side on the same level -rules, but we have removed multiclassing EXP penalty rule.

Evard
2010-04-04, 07:42 PM
I like the basics :D

Monk/Fighter for a melee game

Wizard/Barbarian

Non of these have ever been optimized games

pffh
2010-04-04, 07:50 PM
I haven't played in a gestalt game but I've always wanted to try a Crusader/cloistered cleric as an ultimate holy warrior.

Full BaB, d10 hit die, devoted spirit maneuvers and stances, 6+int skill points, free knowledge devotion and cleric spells. Om nom nom.

elonin
2010-04-04, 07:54 PM
I like scout/psion (nomad) though a shaper works well with this. I'd also like to try beguiler/swashbuckler.

Soranar
2010-04-04, 07:54 PM
Druid/Barbarian

Full raging Wildshape is just funny

Chrono22
2010-04-04, 08:01 PM
I like druid/monk myself. If the GM allows me to ignore the alignment restrictions of the druid, I throw on vow of poverty.
Kung fu panda ftw.

Starscream
2010-04-04, 08:11 PM
I'm fond of Rogue//Factotum. Only problem is the low HD.

TheMadLinguist
2010-04-04, 08:24 PM
Phrenic Sharn//Factotum/sorcerer and favored soul

More seriously, spellthief//factotum.

reptilecobra13
2010-04-04, 08:32 PM
Well, the one I'd like to run is a Factotum 20/Warblade 20. That's pretty much the build I decided to use if I ever built a Link (LoZ) based character. I've got one that I'm fairly proud of that's a Doppleganger 8, Warshaper 5, Mindspy 5/Monk 18 right now, inspired by Envy of FMA. My current primary character (since my friends and I primarily play gestalt) is a half-orc Barbarian 16/Dragon Shaman 16. He worships a white dragon, and focuses on cold based weapons, but he's kind of the swiss army knife of the party. He can tank, he can heal, and with a keen icy burst scythe as his primary weapon, he can do some massive damage. The natural armor combined with the barbarian DR makes for fun times.:smallbiggrin:

Optimystik
2010-04-04, 11:48 PM
VoP Ardent//Soulbow Saint with Zen Archery and Intuitive Attack.

+ all 3 strong saves
+ Wis to everything, twice to AC
+ Full Manifesting
+ d10 hit die
+ Fast Healing 10
+ Multiple immunities, stat bonuses, and DR

Escheton
2010-04-05, 12:05 AM
Psion20 or psion some prestigepsion / warblade4 factotum3 wizard 3 jade phoenix mage 10
warforged if ya have it

raitalin
2010-04-05, 12:11 AM
Yep, Factotum//Warblade for me. Always liked the idea of an INT based badass that isn't a caster.

Kylarra
2010-04-05, 12:19 AM
Mine is a Necropolitian High Elf Spell to Power Erudite 9/Ur-Priest 1/Psychic Theurge 9/Tainted Psion 1//Warlock 1/Tainted Scholar 1/Warlock +4/Swordsage 2/Telfammer Shadowlord 4/Lion Spirit Totem Barbarian 1/Jade Phoenix Mage 7
That's right, a quadruple 9s infinite spells buckets o' attacks build.
He uses Tainted Scholar and Tainted Psion in it to essentially have every psionic power, arcane spell, and cleric spell as an at will ability due to Genesis abuse.
This has houserules.Meh, if you're going to cheese with houserules, why not just be pun-pun? It's less messy (I can't believe I'm saying that).

I've always liked Psion 20//Warblade 20

Wings of Peace
2010-04-05, 12:20 AM
Because someone has to do it (Presented out of order for simplicity):

Track A: Wizard 8/Tainted Scholar 2/Incantatrix 10

Track B: Spell to Power Erudite 19/Subverted Psion 1

Notes: Yes I like roll play, yes I like role play, and yes, I like playing characters whose worst demons are the ones in their mind and not those they fight in the Abyss.

gorfnab
2010-04-05, 12:33 AM
Warforged Artificer // Warblade
VOP Astral Deva // Unarmed Swordsage or Crusader
VOP Ghaele // Unarmed Swordsage or Crusader
Warlock (Eldritch Glaive) // Crusader
Mystic Ranger // Swordsage

PhoenixRivers
2010-04-05, 12:41 AM
Let's go one farther:

Track 1: Stp Erudite 19 / Subverted Psion 1
Track 2: Savage Bard 5 / Ur Priest 10 / Tainted Scholar 1 / Unarmed Swordsage 4

Wis to AC, Wis/Con based casting, Int based psionics, access to pretty much every spell and power ever, and Maneuvers as a Swordsage 12.

Wings of Peace
2010-04-05, 01:54 AM
Let's go one farther:

Track 1: Stp Erudite 19 / Subverted Psion 1
Track 2: Savage Bard 5 / Ur Priest 10 / Tainted Scholar 1 / Unarmed Swordsage 4

Wis to AC, Wis/Con based casting, Int based psionics, access to pretty much every spell and power ever, and Maneuvers as a Swordsage 12.

Maybe, my preference for wizard was that I like spell casting metamagic more so I purposely used a straight Arcane caster for that and Erudite for the sheer multitude of available powers.

Though we could step this up even further though depending on how strict you are with RAW it might be disagreeable.

Track 1: Beguiler 3/Rainbow Servant 10/Prestige Paladin of Tyanny 4/Tainted Scholar 2/Beguiler 1

Track 2: StP Erudite 19/Subverted Psion 1

Though this requires:

-Alternate Source Spell

-A somewhat lenient (by my standards not necessarily others) readingthat you can combo variant paladins with prestige paladins.

Side Thoughts:

-Given the sheer beastliness of Taint combined with Psionics and Spellcasting I think the only real side benefit of importance is tying manifesting and spellcasting to the same stat. After that things seem redundant. Though if there's room for them it's definitely a plus!

reptilecobra13
2010-04-05, 02:11 AM
Next build: Mind flayer 15/Factotum 5//Fighter 2/Warblade 18.

absolmorph
2010-04-05, 02:43 AM
Factotum 20//Psion 20 is pretty nice.
Or Factotum20//[Wizard build]

PhoenixRivers
2010-04-05, 02:49 AM
Do I need to break out the Wizard /Tainted scholar / Beholder Mage / Psion / subverted psion ?

Cast 9 spells in a round, a psionic power, and a schism-manifested psionic power. Heh. Twin Power Synchronicity for fun and profit.

Duskranger
2010-04-05, 05:00 AM
My build would be a rather simple one I'm afraid.

Duskblade 20//Fighter 10/some fighterish prestigeclass 10

Who wouldn't want the feats of the fighter combined with the might of a duskblade.

Wings of Peace
2010-04-05, 05:23 AM
Do I need to break out the Wizard /Tainted scholar / Beholder Mage / Psion / subverted psion ?

Cast 9 spells in a round, a psionic power, and a schism-manifested psionic power. Heh. Twin Power Synchronicity for fun and profit.

Pfft. If you're going to bring Synchronicity into the mix why not just go all out and add the Symbiotic template to fuse with your psicrystal so that you can always abuse dual Affinity Fields + Synchronicity?

On a completely unrelated noted. I am also fond of

Race: Changeling

Track A: Lion Totem Barbarian 4/Psychic Warrior 1/Feat Rogue 1/Feat Wizard 1/Warshaper 2/Scaled Horror 1/ Black Blood Cultist 10

Track B: Fighter 20

Not really optimized but if you have a soft spot for natural attacks and lots of combat feats it's really fun.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2010-04-05, 05:35 AM
Mountain Rage or Lion Totem (CC) Goliath
Build is feat intensive, but fuuuun:
Improved Unarmed Strike, Frozen Berserker, Power Attack, Intimidating Rage, Destructive Rage, and Extra Rage. If you can squeeze in Leap Attack for the lulz.

Track 1:
Barbarian/Fighter/Frenzied Berserker/Frostrager
Track2:
Swordsage

Focus on boosts for extra attacks, Stone Dragon for overcoming DR and Setting Sun disciplines. I particularly love Setting Sun for the throw maneuvers. The only thing that this character needs is flight and SR.

PhoenixRivers
2010-04-05, 05:56 AM
You can also use any creature with a tail attack (think poison dusk lizardfolk qualifies), give them cleric (hunger domain) for a bite attack, prehensile tail (serpent Kingdoms feat), and multiweapon fighting with a pounce/extra damage build... You could dual wield in your arms, get tri wield with tail, and quad wield with a mouthpick weapon.

Ahhh, fun times.

Wings of Peace
2010-04-05, 06:06 AM
You can also use any creature with a tail attack (think poison dusk lizardfolk qualifies), give them cleric (hunger domain) for a bite attack, prehensile tail (serpent Kingdoms feat), and multiweapon fighting with a pounce/extra damage build... You could dual wield in your arms, get tri wield with tail, and quad wield with a mouthpick weapon.

Ahhh, fun times.

Heheh. Don't forget the Necklace of Natural Weapons from Savage Species. Though I might have that name wrong.

PhoenixRivers
2010-04-05, 06:16 AM
Heheh. Don't forget the Necklace of Natural Weapons from Savage Species. Though I might have that name wrong.

You're not using natural weapons.

You're using oversized two weapon fighting and multiweapon fighting to have an axe in each hand, and axe in your tail hand, and an axe in your mouth hand. Quad wielding weapons.

shadow_archmagi
2010-04-05, 06:16 AM
Psion/Artificer

Sorcerer/Artificer

Factotum/Warblade

I <3 INT

Dusk Eclipse
2010-04-05, 10:42 AM
Haven't played this but it seems a fun build

Track 1: Druid 20
Track 2: Monk 2/Swordsage 3/ Master of the Many Forms 1O / Swordsage 5

You can use more swordsage but i want to use monk for bonus feats (overpowering strike variant seems the most useful since it gives Power Attack which can be used with natural weapons)

The only feats this build need are natural spell (D'uh:smallwink:) Adaptive style and MotMF pre-requisites

Edit:
Also a variant from the above one the CAD-zilla
Track 1: Druid 20
Track 2 Monk 1/Cloistered Cleric 7/MotmF 10/ Cloistered Cleric 2

Monk for Wis bonus to AC
Cloistered Cleric with Planning, animal and knowledge domains

Trade Knowledge and animal domains for knowledge & animal devotion.
Get the standard DMM set up; and persist both Divine Power and your favorite bite of the wereX, also to further buff your stats use animal devotion (Ape's Fury seems the best option though Hawks flight might beuseful for an otherwise grounded form such as ... war troll) and since the feat refers to level and not CL they scale nicely with you.

Necsesary feats: Persist Spell, Divine metamagic, extra turning and natural spell, the other are bonus (extend and animal devotion), power attack is a nice addition

Ranger Mattos
2010-04-05, 12:27 PM
I love this build:

Race: Goliath
Track 1: Barbarian 20
Track 2: LA 1/whatever 9/Warhulk 10

It's fun to be the Hulk :smallbiggrin: