PDA

View Full Version : D&D beginners' game - OOC

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Savannah
2010-04-04, 06:08 PM
This thread is going to be shared by both groups. Feel free to chat and ask rules questions. However, it would probably be best to talk strategy in your respective IC threads, so that you donít give anything away to the other group.

Current IC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276625). Old IC thread here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147861)
Strawberries: Priya ( http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=183263)
Priya Ammon became a ranger to help the family business, and then became an adventurer because she was sick and tired of the family business, and it seemed like a good idea at the time. She is a good person, if a bit on the silent side.

Dada: Telim Daysong (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=197575)
Telim Daysong is a good cleric of Pelor. He believes that its better to prevent a wound from being inflicted instead of merely healing it, and this proactive stance has led him to become an adventurer instead of staying in a temple. He is very talented at fighting the undead.

Devmaar: Chariam (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=219539)
Chariam is a Halfling who worked for a clandestine government organisation until a 'regime change' led to the entire operation being declared criminals. He fled the country and became an adventurer to make a living.

Janus: Jairus Soland ( http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=187491)
Jairus Soland is a human paladin of Heironeous. He takes a somewhat more restrained interpretation of the paladin code, rather than the "smite first, ask questions later" approach of others, causing others to label him as either misguided, divinely inspired, or a complete heretic.
He is a generally quiet man, but also dependable and chivalrous.

Binks: Marlon Salas (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=196739)
Marlon was just a normal kid until he discovered his magical talents. Apprenticed to a older wizard, who forced him to work long hours before he could receive training as soon as Marlon was freed from his apprenticeship he set out to become an adventurer and do good in the world with his new-found abilities.

Ranger Mattos: Kelsan (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=8163)
Kelsan is an elven ranger that protected his village from enemies. That is, until there wasn't a village anymore: it was overrun by orcs. Since then, Kelsan has been working to hunt down orcs with a vengence, and trying to discover if any of the other members of his village escaped.

Janus
2010-04-04, 07:26 PM
You probably don't want us peeking at each other's IC threads either, huh?

Savannah
2010-04-04, 07:30 PM
That'd be great, thanks!

EDIT: now that I think about it, if you are curious how the other group does stuff, I can let you know here when both groups are finished with a given adventure and you can read what the other team did.

Janus
2010-04-04, 07:49 PM
That'd be awesome, thanks!

Ranger Mattos
2010-04-04, 08:25 PM
And the first natural 20 of group B's game goes to...*drum roll*

Binks! Lets all give him a hand! *clap clap clap*

Turk Mannion
2010-04-05, 01:41 AM
Question: Do we know each other when the adventure starts?

Savannah
2010-04-05, 01:57 AM
I'm assuming that everyone has been in the town for a while (probably lives there; I don't remember anyone's backstory ruling that out) and so you all know each other on sight, although not necessarily very well.

I believe that Binks gets the first natural twenty for both groups, actually. *applause*

And while we're on the subject of firsts, Kumosabe wins 'first to make the DM laugh' ("KARA! WE'VE GOT CANDY!!"). Of all the approaches possible, that was not one I was expecting...

Binks
2010-04-05, 10:34 AM
I think the roller was just trying to make amends for my attribute rolls :P.

Ranger Mattos
2010-04-05, 04:28 PM
I just wanted to know, how far are you planning to go with this game? Level 5? 6? 4?

Savannah
2010-04-05, 08:33 PM
I'll go as far as everyone wants to go. I'm working on another advanture to follow this one, and it leads into another scenario...

Ranger Mattos
2010-04-06, 01:04 PM
Janus, you didn't need to make a Use Rope check. I just had to because I needed to see if the rope would stay.

Janus
2010-04-09, 02:54 PM
Thanks for letting me know.

Strawberries
2010-04-10, 10:08 AM
Hey, everybody, I'm just letting you know that I'll be on a business trip for the next couple of days (Sunday evening-Tuesday), and I will be unable to post. If my character is needed for something, I'm ok with Savannah taking control of it when I'm gone. I wouldn't want to slow you down. See you all on Wednesday!

Janus
2010-04-10, 05:56 PM
Savannah, is there any problem with my character clipping his lantern to his belt, so that he can keep it out while using his sword and shield?

Savannah
2010-04-10, 07:05 PM
I guess it could work, but if you take damage there is a chance that your lantern will be damaged as well and spill burning oil on you.

Dada
2010-04-11, 11:27 AM
Slightly related question. Would dropping a lantern risk breaking, if dropped as a free action? If yes, then I assume it can be put down safely as a move action?

Savannah
2010-04-11, 12:36 PM
I'm going to say yes to both points. (My characters usually upgrade to everburning torches as soon as they can, to avoid this exact situation!)

Dada
2010-04-11, 12:40 PM
Everburning torches are immune to "falling damage" from being dropped because they are magic items, right? Just making sure I understand your post correctly.

Savannah
2010-04-11, 01:04 PM
Everburning torches are magic items that burn continually without producing heat. You can throw own on the ground and it will not go out or set anything around it on fire, unlike a lantern or normal torch.

Dada
2010-04-13, 01:09 PM
A question and some verifications:

Group A only, I guess. Savannah should be able to tell if this contains spoilers or not:

Shouldn't Jess have been able to take the attack he readied on his turn?

Verifying i understand the rules correctly:
The cave is difficult terrain, which means I can move at half my armored speed. That should be ten feet or two squares. Also, we are unable to take five-foot steps. Correct?

Bless and Inspire Courage does not stack, right?

Turk Mannion
2010-04-13, 01:20 PM
Good catch, Dada, you beat me to the punch.

Dada
2010-04-13, 01:20 PM
I'm useful!

Dada
2010-04-17, 04:02 PM
Can we take five-foot steps in the cave, or is it not possible because it costs double move?

Savannah
2010-04-17, 04:17 PM
You can still take 5' steps in the cave. The only times you can't take a 5' step is if you are completely immobilized, have a speed of 5', or are moving that round (other than the 5' step, of course). Or not.

EDIT: Hmm, just went and reread the 5' step rules AFTER posting (never a good idea; you'd think I'd have learned this by now :smalltongue:), and it does say that you can't take 5' steps in difficult terrain, like a cave floor.

Dada
2010-04-17, 05:20 PM
Aww, why did you have to look it up :smallwink:

Dada
2010-04-18, 01:07 PM
*Cheers as Jorkan makes mincemeat of the monster*

Edit: *Cheers at Priya too!*

Savannah
2010-04-18, 01:32 PM
Congrats to both groups for surviving their first battle! (Now remind me never to set it up again so that I'm running the same battle simultaneously for both groups.)

Strawberries
2010-04-18, 01:35 PM
YAY!

Why? Was it too confusing to DM?

Savannah
2010-04-18, 01:41 PM
Mostly because I didn't have a good way to keep track of where everyone was and I was always afraid that I would call on someone from the wrong group or mis-remember which group had killed which centipede. So, yeah, too confusing. (But I did it without any major mishaps!)

Turk Mannion
2010-04-18, 03:13 PM
I think it worked out fine and the grid with labels is the perfect tool.

Savannah
2010-04-23, 11:48 PM
Sorry I haven't been posting much; I've been sick. I'm feeling much better now, so I'm off to update both threads.

Turk Mannion
2010-04-24, 12:03 AM
No worries, hope you feel better.

Binks
2010-04-27, 08:38 PM
Well I'm now sure the dice hate me :P. Nat 1 on an aid another...I have honestly never seen that before in any games I've played in.

Strawberries
2010-05-03, 01:00 PM
I'm letting you know I won't be able to access the forum for the next 3-4 days (again...stupid business trips...:smallannoyed:) As usual, if my character is needed for something and my absence is preventing the others from going on, feel free to take control of the character. :smallsmile:

Savannah
2010-05-03, 02:02 PM
That sucks. I'll be happy to play her if necessary.

Binks
2010-05-09, 11:15 PM
I hope you don't mind my very short introduction. It wouldn't really be in character for Marlon to say that much about himself...

Savannah
2010-05-09, 11:51 PM
It's up to you what you want to say. I've got a very busy week ahead, so if you are content to talk amongst yourselves for a while, that would be lovely. (If not, that's fine too, but don't expect frequent updates!)

Binks
2010-05-16, 06:35 PM
Janus - Is that a reference to something or just a hilarious joke :smalltongue:. I enjoyed it, very amusing.

Janus
2010-05-18, 03:52 PM
It's a reference to two things:
1) Batman: Year One (which OotS actually parodied once: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0560.html)
2) The term "Batman wizard."

Sorry, Group A: Batman is on our side. :smallcool:

Dada
2010-05-18, 03:54 PM
Well, we've got Green Goblin, so nyah! Or.. That Crazy Goblin, at least.. :smalltongue:

Savannah
2010-05-18, 03:58 PM
It's a good thing I wasn't drinking anything when I read that exchange! *starts laughing again*

Savannah
2010-05-23, 07:54 PM
So where is group A? No one has posted on that thread, other than me, for three days. Group B is still moving along, but A seems to have dropped off the face of the earth. :smallfrown:

Strawberries
2010-05-24, 12:42 AM
I'm here. Sorry, real life in the way (stupid real life :smalltongue:).

Derjuin
2010-05-24, 12:59 AM
Sorry, I've got a lot going on and I'm trying to balance it all - it should be known that I am not terribly good at doing so :smallfrown: I will try to keep up though. (One problem might be that I have like, 18 subscriptions, hehe...)

Savannah
2010-05-24, 02:08 AM
It's fine; I just found it interesting that, of 10 players split between 2 threads, there were just 4 still posting frequently, all from the same thread.

Strawberries
2010-05-24, 12:25 PM
Hey all!

I recognize this is probably the worst possible time, but I'll be without Internet access for a couple of days starting tomorrow (another business trip...they will be the death of me :smalltongue:). Savannah,as usual, could you please play my character if needed? I'll be back on Friday!

Savannah
2010-05-24, 03:43 PM
No problem. (But really, putting your job ahead of your D&D? :smallsigh: You've got to get your priorities right!)

...OK, not really :smalltongue:

Strawberries
2010-05-24, 05:21 PM
(But really, putting your job ahead of your D&D? :smallsigh: You've got to get your priorities right!)

You know what, you're right! I'll talk to my boss immediately! :smalltongue:.

Jokes aside, thanks and see you on Friday!

Janus
2010-05-24, 08:52 PM
Meh, I could/should have posted several hours ago to keep Group B moving, but Mario Galaxy 2 and Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People got in the way.

MG2 gameplay spoilers:
Mario kicks meteorites into Bowser's face! HECK YEAH!!!

Turk Mannion
2010-05-25, 11:18 PM
Sorry, Jess from Group A is back in action and ready to rock.

Binks
2010-05-26, 10:12 AM
*Slaps forehead* Whoops. Forgot that. Edited accordingly (and now I've got a nice rollcount doesn't match message :P)

Savannah
2010-05-30, 02:46 PM
Have begun work on a follow-up adventure. *Rubs hands and laughs evilly*

Will you be interested in continuing? (Neither group is near the end, but it always takes me a while to write an adventure, so I thought I'd start early and save you from having to wait while I write.) Any inputs on things you'd like me to do differently? There will be orcs in the next one, in case all you orc haters are wondering.

Janus
2010-05-30, 03:26 PM
I'd like to see larger groups of enemies, personally. I feel kinda useless in a fight at the moment, seeing as how in each fight, I either haven't been able to overcome the monster's AC, or the monster was dead before I could even get in range.
I think it'd be cool if we had 4e style "minions" in the game (monsters that have only 1hp, but attack in large numbers and grant less xp).

EDIT
Wouldn't mind some chances to use non-combat skills like Diplomacy, Bluff, etc., either.

Dada
2010-05-30, 04:14 PM
I would love to play the follow up, keep up the good work. As for feedback, I'll give it some thought.

Savannah
2010-05-31, 02:30 AM
More mooks, check.
More non-combat stuff, check.

And now, an important question. Have I said what time of year it is yet? ('Cause I'm hoping not.)

Ranger Mattos
2010-05-31, 09:19 AM
Minions and non-combat skills? Sure.

Orcs? *strings bow*

Strawberries
2010-05-31, 01:47 PM

Will you be interested in continuing? (Neither group is near the end, but it always takes me a while to write an adventure, so I thought I'd start early and save you from having to wait while I write.) Any inputs on things you'd like me to do differently? There will be orcs in the next one, in case all you orc haters are wondering.

Of course, count me in! As for feedback, I'll think about it and let you know. :smallsmile:

TruorTupnm
2010-05-31, 04:24 PM
I am entirely up for continuing adventures. Towards whether you've mentioned what time of year it is, I don't think that you have, but even if you have, ah, change it to whatever you want?

Turk Mannion
2010-06-01, 11:15 PM
I am game as well.

Binks
2010-06-01, 11:58 PM
I'm up for another adventure, assuming nothing else comes up between now and then.

Ranger Mattos
2010-06-02, 03:34 PM
Sure, I'll go for another. Exactly how long are you planning to take this game?

Kumo
2010-06-02, 04:08 PM

More roleplaying, personally. Also: Bigger hordes of monsters =3

But meh. it's your game.

Savannah
2010-06-02, 06:16 PM
It's not much of a game if no one else wants to play it, though. I'm planning on including both of those points, especially since others have mentioned them.

I don't know how long I'm planning to take the game. As long as everyone is interested, I guess?

(By the way, it's now officially fall, near the end of the harvest season.)

Janus
2010-06-03, 10:00 AM
*poke* Absolutely no Leaf Raking checks, Savannah.

Can anyone explain why the dice are trying to kill me?

Savannah
2010-06-03, 12:31 PM
Because the dice hate everyone. Try swearing at it next time it does that; it worked once for me!

(No, no Leaf Raking checks. Profession (gardener) would be what you'd have to roll.) None of those either. Probably.

Binks
2010-06-03, 12:59 PM
(No, no Leaf Raking checks. Profession (gardener) would be what you'd have to roll.)

One word. Prestidigitation :smalltongue:.

Dada
2010-06-04, 03:33 AM
You want to master the arcane arts, know ubearable secrets and wield power not meant for mortal hands.. to avoid gardening?

Strawberries
2010-06-04, 03:52 AM
You want to master the arcane arts, know ubearable secrets and wield power not meant for mortal hands.. to avoid gardening?

Why not? It's a good motivation as any. Mine would be more along the line of not having to do the dishes... :smalltongue:

Dada
2010-06-04, 04:03 AM
Why not? It's a good motivation as any. Mine would be more along the line of not having to do the dishes... :smalltongue:

Oh, I totally agree! Woe unto me for the many nights spent with hands i hot water, fighting foodstuff which have been left alone for far too long, and now fights back!

But personally, I would solve the problem by taking up plumbing and make the drain needed for a dishwasher in the kitchen..

Binks
2010-06-09, 03:45 PM

There's another reason?

Also, listen fail :P. Rolled a 1 on a listen check, probably hearing something grumbling frighteningly...that turns out to be my stomach or something :smalltongue:.

Savannah
2010-06-09, 03:54 PM
I'm thinking about putting on some kind of time limit for posting in battle, as some of these fights are being drawn out way long. What would you all think of 48 hours to post after I call your turn, and then I'd act for you? Would anyone not be able to make that consistently?

Also, if anyone decides that they need to drop the game, please let me know. That way I can find a replacement player. (Hopefully this won't come up, but just in case.)

Kumo
2010-06-09, 04:30 PM
Can i drop out? i'm just not interested anymore and this game will go faster w/o me =/

Savannah
2010-06-09, 04:33 PM
No problem. I'll play Jorkan until I get a replacement. (So if you don't mind leaving his character sheet where it is, that would be great!)

TruorTupnm
2010-06-09, 05:22 PM
At the moment, I'd have no problem being here for the fight scenes.

Janus
2010-06-09, 05:43 PM
48 hours is more than enough for me.

Dada
2010-06-09, 07:11 PM
48 hours sounds like a good idea to me. Also, seems like I'm in the minority concerning the application of arcane power in the gardening business :smalltongue:

Binks
2010-06-09, 07:16 PM
48 works for me as well.

Savannah
2010-06-09, 09:12 PM
Everyone say hi to NegativeFifteen! He (she?) posted in the player recruitment thread a couple of days ago asking for a beginners game, and so will be replacing Jorkan. (So there will be some stat rolling in this thread soon.)

Ranger Mattos
2010-06-09, 09:48 PM
48 hour time limit for battles sounds fine. Also, I will be gone from Friday afternoon to next Friday while I'm at camp. Can you play Kelsan for me duing that week?

Savannah
2010-06-09, 09:51 PM
No problem. Have fun at camp!

Turk Mannion
2010-06-09, 11:24 PM
48 hours is more than fair.

Strawberries
2010-06-09, 11:51 PM
48 hours is okay for me.

Also, hi NegativeFifteen! Welcome!

NegativeFifteen
2010-06-10, 03:33 PM
Hi everyone. Just posting a quick question: Are there any other regulations to my character other than I'm making a fighter? (Level, age, backstory, species?)

Dada
2010-06-10, 03:37 PM
Welcome aboard!

I don't think you have to make a fighter unless you want to? Haven't talked this over with Savannah so I might be wrong though. Apart from that, lvl 1 and able to work in good'ish party. You might want to take a peak at our backstorys, there is a link to Telim in my sig.

Again, this is just my guesses and not official. Hopefully still usefull though :smalltongue:

NegativeFifteen
2010-06-10, 03:40 PM
And another question: How do I use this forums dice roll system?

Dada
2010-06-10, 03:42 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100917 probably explains the die roller better than I'm able to.

Savannah
2010-06-10, 03:44 PM
Your character doesn't have to be a fighter, but if you wanted to make a fairly melee-focused character, that might be good, as I was trying to balance roles when I divided the groups.

You're level 1, 0 XP. Any race in the Player's Handbook is fine.

Feel free to read any of the character sheets and thread from group A to see who's already in the game. Backstory is up to you; I'll PM you one idea I had for fitting you into the game.

Unfortunately, the stat generation method I like doesn't really work well with the die roller. The best way I've found is this 4d6. Then you can reroll any ones and add up the highest three manually. (Do NOT spell-check or preview any posts with rolls in them; it will mess up the roller. Also you can't edit in rolls.)

Savannah
2010-06-10, 04:07 PM
Looking back at group A's characters, they've got some passable melee fighters already, and only a bard for arcane casting. So if you'd prefer a arcane caster to a melee fighter, that would be a useful choice as well.

For those rolls, use [ rollv]4d6[ /rollv] (no spaces of course). That will let you see all four rolls, so you can identify any ones to reroll. Then you will have to manually add up the best three. You can arrange the rolls in any order you like.

Edit: whoa, disappearing posts. (or else I'm going crazy...)

NegativeFifteen
2010-06-10, 04:11 PM
Well, I'm going to go Wizard if that's okay with everyone.

Str: [roll0] [roll1] [roll2] [roll3]
Dex: [roll4] [roll5] [roll6] [roll7]
Con: [roll8] [roll9] [roll10] [roll11]
Cha: [roll12] [roll13] [roll14] [roll15]
Wis: [roll16] [roll17] [roll18] [roll19]
Int: [roll20] [roll21] [roll22] [roll23]

Edit: wait, I think I did something wrong.

Savannah
2010-06-10, 04:14 PM
Type this (without the space): [ rollv]4d6[ /rollv]
That will give you this: [roll0]

In this case, there's one 1 to reroll. The bold numbers are the numbers you rolled on each die. Then you would add up the highest three numbers for your stat. (If you rerolled and got a 3, you would get 4+3+4 = 11)

NegativeFifteen
2010-06-10, 04:16 PM
Gotcha:

Str: [roll0]
Dex: [roll1]
Con: [roll2]
Cha: [roll3]
Wis: [roll4]
Int: [roll5]

Savannah
2010-06-10, 04:19 PM
Now count up all the ones, and roll that many dice to substitute for each one. (You might want to roll some extra, in case you get ones on your reroll.)

NegativeFifteen
2010-06-10, 04:23 PM
[roll1] [roll2] [roll3] [roll4] [roll5] [roll6] [roll7] [roll8] [roll9]

Edit: Whoops. I'll fix that.

[roll]1d6 1d6 1d6 1d6 1d6 1d6 1d6 1d61d6 1d6

Edit2: Ok, now Im confused.

Savannah
2010-06-10, 04:26 PM
You can use those rolls. (You can't edit in rolls for some reason.)

On your first set of stats, replace the first 1 with the first roll other than 1 in your second set of rolls, and so on.

So your second roll: 1, 1, 1, 4 becomes 6, 3, 2, 4. 6+3+4 = 13.

NegativeFifteen
2010-06-10, 04:29 PM
So if I did my math correctly, that make my stats, 15, 13, 17,13, 11, and 9. (ouch)

NegativeFifteen
2010-06-10, 04:36 PM
Is there anything I can do about my 9 int, or is it stuck there until I reach fourth level?

Savannah
2010-06-10, 04:37 PM
That's acutually pretty good for a wizard. You get to pick the order of your stats, so that 9 can go on Str or something that doesn't matter to you.

NegativeFifteen
2010-06-10, 04:38 PM
Alright, thanks.

Savannah
2010-06-10, 04:39 PM
Yeah, Int 9 wizard would not work :smalltongue:

NegativeFifteen
2010-06-10, 05:02 PM
Last question: (hopefully) Should I take the starting Elf Wizard package or figure it out on my own, if possible.

Savannah
2010-06-10, 05:14 PM
Personally, I'm not a fan of the starting packages. If you want to use it, you may, but I'd suggest going through it and making sure you actually like all the choices they made.

You're always free to post here or PM me with any questions if you decide not to use the package.

NegativeFifteen
2010-06-10, 05:21 PM
I think I'm going to go a different way, I'm just wondering how many feats I get. I know I get scribe-scroll right off the dot, but how many others can I choose, and what items do I get to start with?

Savannah
2010-06-10, 05:32 PM
As a first level character, you get 1 feat of your choice. If you are human, you get another feat of your choice. In addition, you get Scribe Scroll as a bonus feat because you are a wizard.

For gear, a wizard starts with 3d4 x10 gp. If you'd prefer not to take the chance of rolling, you can use the average of 75 gp. Then you get to buy items from the equipment section. Please do include a purchase log of items and their prices on your sheet, to make it easier for me to check your sheet.

NegativeFifteen
2010-06-10, 05:37 PM
Ok, another question (sorry if this is a bother) because Im not choosing to specialize in a school, does that mean I can choose spells from any school and get all cantrips?

Savannah
2010-06-10, 05:47 PM
Yep. You're not a bother; I love this game but it's a pain to learn at first! :smallbiggrin:

NegativeFifteen
2010-06-10, 07:16 PM
Another question: What do the Spell Saves DC mean? and I also can't find out where to find my HP.

Dada
2010-06-10, 07:34 PM
Your hp as a Wizard is the "hit die", found in the class entry in the players handbook, plus your constitution modifier. You get max hp at lvl one, so your hp is 4 + con modifier.

Some, but not all of your spells allow an opponent to get a saving throw, which will prevent or reduce the effect of the spell. Your "Save DC" is the number they must beat on their saving throw to succesfully save. If the DC for a spell is 15 and the opponent is allowed a reflex saving throw, they must roll a D20 and add their reflex save modifier. If the result is greater than 15, they have saved. The spell description states what happens if an opponent saves against the spell.

Savannah
2010-06-10, 07:36 PM
At first level you get the maximum hp you could roll on your hit die (4 for a wizard) plus your Constitution modifier.

A spell's save DC (difficulty class) is how hard it is to resist the spell. The victim has to roll that number or above with 1d20+their save modifier or be affected by the spell. DCs are determined by 10+the spell's level+the caster's ability modifier (for a wizard, your Intelligence modifier).

Edit: Or, you know, what Dada said.

Dada
2010-06-10, 07:38 PM
I'm a ninja.. but your explanation seems better :smallwink:

NegativeFifteen
2010-06-10, 08:05 PM
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=213936

I think hes done. Let me know if theres anything I should change.

Edit: It should work now.

Dada
2010-06-10, 08:08 PM
I can't seem to view the sheet. Make sure it is publically viewable :smallsmile:

Savannah
2010-06-10, 08:15 PM
I'm a ninja.. but your explanation seems better :smallwink:

No, you're a cleric :smallbiggrin:

NegativeFifteen: I can't see your sheet either. Looks like you have it set on private somehow.

NegativeFifteen
2010-06-10, 08:18 PM
OK try it now.

Dada
2010-06-10, 08:21 PM
No, you're a cleric :smallbiggrin:

You tell me now?!

@NegativeFifteen: The sheet works now, but I'll leave the auditing to Savannah.

Savannah
2010-06-10, 08:45 PM
OK, it looks good, but there are some changes needed.
For some reason, your ability score block does not show your -1 penalty to strength.

With your quarterstaff, you should have an attack bonus of -1 (+0 base attack bonus and -1 strength), and damage of 1d6-1

You are going to be more effective with ranged combat (better Dex bonus than Str bonus), but you don't have a ranged weapon. (In addition to the weapons listed for the wizard, you can use any of the weapons listed for the elf weapon proficiencies.)

You don't seem to have spent any skill points. At first level you get (2+Int bonus)x4 skill points to spend (maximum of 4 ranks on any one skill). In addition, you will want to mark the +2 Listen, Search, and Spot that you get for being an elf in the "Misc mod" column.

You get a bonus 1st level spell because of your high Int, which you will want to note in the spells per day area. (Under bonus spells.)

You should mark down the spells you've prepared for the day, so that you can check them off as you use them.

The quarterstaff is free.

For some reason, you've got an inkpen on your purchase log and not on your gear list.

You can definitely afford to buy more things, if you want to. I would strongly suggest a backpack and maybe some trail rations. You might also want to consider a light source. Most experienced characters carry a minimum of 50' of rope at all times. We're just paranoid that way :smallwink:

Don't forget to note your languages. You get Common and Elven for free, and then you get one bonus language per point of Int bonus, which you can pick off the list of bonus languages for elves.

At some point, if you could write a bit of backstory, that would be great.

NegativeFifteen
2010-06-10, 08:48 PM
Ill make those changes, thanks.

Edit: The changes have been made.

Savannah
2010-06-14, 12:26 AM
Sorry, didn't see your edit. Looks good. I forgot to mention the first time, but you should have a +2 base will save. If you could fix that and mark which spells Spell Mastery applies to, you're ready.

Just head over to group A's thread and roll initiative, and I'll fit you in.

Dada
2010-06-14, 10:57 AM
Just looked your sheet through, seems cool and a good fit for the party. I think you might want to put 4 ranks in both concentration and spellcraft though - I think these skills are pretty essential for a Wizard.

Dada
2010-06-15, 12:08 PM
It seems like Clerics really doesn't belong on the front lines of combat. This is my second natural one in as many battles, and this time I managed to confirm the critical failure. Lets hope I manage to avoid knocking myself out.

Savannah
2010-06-17, 12:03 AM
Ugh. Sorry about the delays, everyone, I've been nearly without internet, and no internet on the computer that has all my notes. Should be back to normal now, however.

Binks
2010-06-20, 04:42 PM
I think the RNG thinks I'm playing a fighter :P. Easily made the aid another on a strength check, but can't even get 10 on a knowledge check, despite 3 tries (different checks, obviously) and decent bonuses to all of them.

I guess Marlon's not as smart as he thinks he is :smallbiggrin:

Savannah
2010-06-22, 01:40 PM
It would appear that I neglected to give either group XP for the centipedes. :smallredface:

Medium: 30 XP
Small: 15 XP each
Total: 60 XP

If I don't announce XP in the post in which the final monster dies, would someone please slap me?

Dada
2010-06-22, 02:33 PM
Oooh, more exp. Yay! I'm doubly as experienced as I thought! :smalltongue:

Savannah
2010-06-26, 11:13 PM
Just to let group A know, Derjuin has said that she will have to drop the game, and I haven't heard back from Turk Mannion yet. He hasn't been on the boards in quite a while, and last time I PMed him he got right back to me, so I suspect that he's dropping as well. If he doesn't turn up in a day, I think I'm going to open a recruiting thread for two more players to fill in the gaps (unless any of you have any objections or other suggestions).

Why is it that group A is having all the drop outs? :smallconfused:

Strawberries
2010-06-27, 03:18 AM
No objections, unless it isn't easier for you to merge the two groups into one - I don't know if group B has had any dropouts - and run a single campaign. As you (and the others) prefer.

Savannah
2010-06-27, 07:15 PM
Group B hasn't had any drop-outs, so it'll work out best to get new players. (Besides, it's no harder to run two threads, and I kind of like seeing how the different groups react differently!)

I've opened a recruitment thread for the two open slots, here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157946), if you want to check it out (and tell them how awesome I am :smalltongue:)

Strawberries
2010-06-28, 12:49 AM
I've opened a recruitment thread for the two open slots, here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157946), if you want to check it out (and tell them how awesome I am :smalltongue:)

If I do will you grant me a super mighty sword of awesomess + 10? :smalltongue:

Savannah
2010-06-28, 12:56 AM
Well...not now that you've said it out loud... Don't you know that all bribery should be done via PM? Otherwise the others will see, and then they'll want their own super mighty sword of awesomeness +10, not to mention the fact that it hurts your credibility when you're telling the new ones that I'm awesome. :smalltongue:

Ranger Mattos
2010-06-29, 11:03 PM
So Jairus and I have same attack bonus and damage, he completely destroys the enemy while I drop my sword.

Oh mighty dice gods, why have you forsaken me??!?!?!?!?!?!??!

Binks
2010-06-29, 11:52 PM
Welcome to the nat 1 club :smalltongue:. We had cookies...till someone fumbled them on a nat 1 carry check and dropped them in the sewer...

Savannah
2010-06-30, 12:00 AM
Can I join? The die roller has apparently decided to hate me again in the neverending dungeon...

Janus
2010-06-30, 01:18 AM
So Jairus and I have same attack bonus and damage, he completely destroys the enemy while I drop my sword.

Oh mighty dice gods, why have you forsaken me??!?!?!?!?!?!??!
Hey, let's not forget that Kelsan and Marlon took out the krenshar long before Jairus (the man who volunteered to move in first, mind you) could even get to it, and that Kelsan (an elf ranger) is somehow beefier than Jairus (a human paladin). :smallamused:

NegativeFifteen
2010-07-03, 08:17 AM
If we're waiting in town until Monday, should I prepare new spells?

Savannah
2010-07-05, 06:09 PM
Group A, your new players are GreenZ, with a paladin, and Devmaar, with a rogue. Let's get this show back on the road!

Janus
2010-07-06, 04:00 PM
Hooray for more paladin!

Janus
2010-07-17, 05:26 PM
Sorry for the double post, but Group B seems to have lost its expert treasure hunter.
Anyone heard from TruorTupnm recently? He hasn't logged in since the 10th.

Savannah
2010-07-17, 05:32 PM
I PMed him yesterday, but if he doesn't reply by this evening I'm probably going to post for him again. If he doesn't reappear by the time you get back to town, I have a replacement in mind.

Devmaar
2010-07-19, 05:27 AM
Savannah, can I ask what you use to create those maps? I can see that being very useful.

Savannah
2010-07-19, 12:43 PM
Maptools for the maps. In order to get them here, I had to take screenshots of maptools and crop and label them in another program, so it's a bit of a pain. But I like the results!

Ranger Mattos
2010-07-20, 04:27 PM
I'll be gone tomorrow until Monday. Feel free to roleplay my character, Savannah.

NegativeFifteen
2010-07-24, 08:38 AM
I'm going to be gone until Wednesday or Thursday, feel free to play for me if need be.
Edit: It won't be necessary, we have wifi.

Savannah
2010-07-24, 07:10 PM
No problem.

Group B: TruorTupnm hasn't been on since the 10th, and he hasn't responded to my PM, so I'm guessing that he's dropped out :smallfrown: I PMed Silverking, who applied for the rogue spot when I was rerecruiting for group A, so he'll probably be making a replacement character. Hope that's okay with everyone.

Since I've realized that my stat generation is a pain:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

Stats for replacement rogue: 17, 9, 15, 14, 14, 17 (why can't I roll like that when I'm rolling for my own characters?)

Devmaar
2010-07-26, 02:15 PM
Group A:
I've added the book to my sheet

Hybasha
2010-07-27, 01:21 PM
holy cow i thought people stopped using this O.O since we started dang i was wrong

Savannah
2010-07-27, 01:56 PM
There hasn't been a ton of chatter, but there's some.

And, Devmaar, don't worry about telling group B about the book. They know all about the book :smallamused: (Actually, they know more than you do...)

Strawberries
2010-07-27, 02:21 PM
Okay, guys, it's a bit early, but I posted this in another ooc thread, so just to let you know as well...
...I'll be in the USA from August 7th-24th (yay for my first vacation outside Europe!). While I'll have a laptop and most of the hotels we booked have wi-fi access, I don't know how erratic my posting schedule will become. So, Savannah, feel free to take control of my character whenever should be needed. :smallsmile:

Savannah
2010-07-27, 02:25 PM
Works for me (just remind me a bit closer to the date!)

Ranger Mattos
2010-07-28, 09:06 PM
I'm going to be gone from tomorrow until Sunday.

Savannah
2010-07-28, 09:19 PM
No problem. (Psst....go post something in the IC thread.)

Savannah
2010-08-03, 05:52 PM
Both groups have a quite a few dropouts lately, which is partly my fault as I haven't been posting as often as I should be. The craziness that is my life has also prevented me from writing anything for an additional module after this. But you're all awesome, and I don't want to stop DMing for you.

Here's my proposal: Once both groups finish up with this adventure (both are very close), anyone who wants to continue playing will be combined into one group (I think that having two groups was part of what made this harder for me to keep track of) and I'll run at least one published module. (I can borrow the Sunless Citadel from my real-life DM, and I know it's fun because I've played it! If any of you have played that already, let me know and I'll find another module.) What do you think?

Dada
2010-08-03, 05:59 PM
I would be fine with joining up, and/or playing some published modules. Don't worry about the posting rate, keeping track of and DMing two groups of newbies must be quite tough. I'm just glad you're willing to continue.

Group A: Well, that was... effective. Sorry. :smallblush:

ION: I will be gone from the 11th-18th August and again 23th-30th. Might be able to post in the last period, but don't count on it. Probably won't be often, even if I'm able to.

Oh, and best of luck with that craziness Savannah, hope things will settle down for you soon.

Savannah
2010-08-03, 06:03 PM
Clerics: they make undead encounters easier. :smallbiggrin:

Binks
2010-08-03, 07:06 PM
Works for me. I'd be in for another adventure. Same characters? If so, how will you handle both groups having memories of doing effectively the same thing? Massive retcon, or just strange coincidence, or something else? :P

Btw I'm out of town from Thursday to Sunday. I should have internet, but if I don't post for a while feel free to take control of my character.

Ranger Mattos
2010-08-03, 09:10 PM
I'd be willing to combine groups.

Savannah
2010-08-03, 11:36 PM
I figured that you'd have the same characters (although if anyone wants to change, that'd be fine). As for explaining the same events, I don't really know. We could just say you've always been one group, as you've done almost exactly the same things. If someone has a better idea, that's fine too.

Binks
2010-08-03, 11:44 PM
I don't know. I'm fine with the always one group retcon...but I personally think that the 'two groups who performed suspiciously similar tasks before grouping up' offers more interesting semi-long term possibilities. Of course it could just be that when I gm I tend to throw in everything (whether it makes sense or not) and then try and make it all work together :P. Was just curious if you'd already figured out what to do.

Who's dropped from the groups? Just curious what our likely super-group makeup would be...

Strawberries
2010-08-03, 11:49 PM
Dada: that was seriously awesome. :smallbiggrin:
I'll be willing to join the groups as well and playing some published module I've never played the sunless citadel. so that's okay for me.
I'm sorry about the craziness too, Savannah. Hope you sort it out soon.

Savannah
2010-08-03, 11:52 PM
I'm not sure exactly; I've just been noticing a lot of people not post much recently, so I don't know if they've dropped officially or not. I'm pretty sure we've lost both rogues, but other than that, I don't know for sure.

Edit: pretty much whoever posts here saying they're interested is who'd be in the group.

Janus
2010-08-03, 11:56 PM
Heck, I was hoping that if enough people dropped, both groups would be combined, anyway.
But sure, a published module and other stuff all sounds good to me.

I'll be on vacation Aug 13-16, but I should still be able to post. Just don't think I'll have my PHB with me.

We really could have used a cleric in our own (three week in RL) undead encounter...

Savannah
2010-08-04, 04:43 PM
So far we've got:
Dada - cleric
Binks - wizard
Lord Mattos - ranger
Strawberries - ranger
Janus - paladin

A much pared down version of the original two groups, it would appear.

Binks
2010-08-04, 07:08 PM
This has got to be the first time I was glad for no IC posts :P. I think I figured out one of the puzzles while at work...and I was worried someone else would beat me to it, thereby continuing the trend of Marlon looking far less intelligent in game than he should be :P.

Savannah
2010-08-04, 07:37 PM
Yep, you've got it!

Janus
2010-08-04, 10:43 PM
Holy crap, good job on that one, Binks!
Nice thinking.

I just need to figure out why my paladin's version of "holy crap" would be...

GreenZ
2010-08-05, 10:11 AM
Don't count me out, I've just been fairly busy lately. My RL schedule should ease up around Monday... :smallsmile:

Savannah
2010-08-05, 12:13 PM
No problem. I was hoping you hadn't disappeared. :smallsmile:

Strawberries
2010-08-09, 06:14 PM
Ooops...that's what happens when I try to post after a day spent under the sun in central Park... I edited my post with the right character name. :smallredface:.

Dada
2010-08-11, 02:01 AM
Don't worry about that, for what its worth, I was prodded into following and enjoying the story of Kitra.

Also, I will be gone in a couple of hours, and not back until the 18th. Feel free to play my char, Savannah.

Janus
2010-08-12, 03:40 PM
Going on vacation tomorrow, and I'll be back on Tuesday. I may be able to post now and then (I have an iPhone), but if my absence holds the party back, could you play Jairus for me, Savannah?

Thanks.

Devmaar
2010-08-14, 03:26 PM
I'm still here!!! I'm really sorry for disappearing, what happened was I went on a two week holiday expecting to have wi-fi but when I arrived there wasn't any so I've had a unexplained 2-week absence from all my PbP and I'm just getting to catch up on it now.

Anyway, I like this character and joining the groups sounds a great idea. Every party needs a rogue, right?

NegativeFifteen
2010-08-18, 10:13 AM
Oh geez, I haven't checked this in a while. I'd be like to keep going after this adventure, if possible.

Dada
2010-08-18, 10:30 AM
Back, but unfortunately not for long. I will get a IC post up later today.

Janus
2010-08-18, 06:34 PM
Back now.
Devmaar, you've made me try to imagine a beholder rogue. Kinda odd, I'll admit.

Devmaar
2010-08-18, 06:52 PM
Well, if it got some way to turn invisible it can just float around sneak attacking with its eye rays. Should be effective.

Janus
2010-08-18, 07:46 PM
Heh, I got a used copy of I, Tyrant, a beholder supplement for 2e. It said that some beholders put strategically placed mirrors in their lairs, angled so that they can shoot at one, and have it bounce all the way back to you.
That's one heck of a sneak attack.

Savannah
2010-08-18, 07:55 PM
You clearly don't know Rule 362* of playing D&D: Never, I repeat, NEVER mention awesome ideas like that in the presence of a DM. :smallbiggrin: (We seriously need an 'evil grin' smiley on this board.)

*Aside from Rule 0, there are no official rule numbers, so I like to make up random, large numbers...

Janus
2010-08-18, 09:08 PM
I'm still half-expecting a philter of love trap, after seeing a post of yours some time ago.

Heh, awesome DM ideas = more fun. If I die, I hope I die to a freaking awesome/hilarious DM idea.

Savannah
2010-08-18, 09:53 PM
...what post?

Janus
2010-08-19, 07:26 AM
There was some thread about clever traps I don't know how long ago, and somebody commented on either using or being hit with a trap that sprayed philter of love on the party, and I believe you expressed an interest in using that at some point.

I'm breaking Rule 362 again by remind you of this, aren't I?

Dada
2010-08-19, 07:29 AM
How would a beholder rogue deal with traps? It's not like it has any hands to attempt to disarm them..

Janus
2010-08-19, 11:30 PM
Bites them? Mind controls a party member into setting them off?
Sets them on fire?

Savannah
2010-08-19, 11:45 PM
Beholders have a disintegrate eye ray. Lock? Gone. Trap? Gone. Annoying party member? G- wait...

Janus
2010-08-20, 11:39 AM
Heh, it wouldn't work as a PC, but I've always loved spectator beholders.
They're usually summoned to watch over a specific object for 101 years. They're either true or chaotic neutral, and are described as generally being rather benign. They like to chat, and will quickly reveal whatever it is they're guarding (they just won't let people mess with it).

The rules say that a spectator can only watch an inanimate object, but I've always been interested in a spectator being called to watch a person. Imagine waking up to find a beholder staring at you with a friendly smile.

Strawberries
2010-08-20, 08:23 PM
Imagine waking up to find a beholder staring at you with a friendly smile.

Ooooh, can I have one? I would love him, and hug him, and pet him, and call him George! :smalltongue:

Binks
2010-08-22, 08:54 PM
Beholders have a disintegrate eye ray. Lock? Gone. Trap? Gone. Annoying party member? G- wait...

Chest full of riches? Gone. :P

Dada
2010-08-23, 03:58 AM
Aaand... I'm heading out again, this time for Slovakia. I will have internet access, but my posting will be sporadic at best. I'll stay home for some time when I get back on the 30th. Promise. Savannah, feel free to play Telim, if I slow the game.

Janus
2010-08-23, 11:49 AM
Mattos, was that Tolkien Elvish you just used?

Ranger Mattos
2010-08-23, 12:59 PM
Actually, no. Chaotic Shiny's language generator. (http://chaoticshiny.com/langreplace.php) I use melodic 2 for Elvish.

Savannah
2010-08-23, 01:09 PM
Isn't 'Ranger' a bit of a step down from 'Lord'? :smalltongue:

Ranger Mattos
2010-08-23, 01:18 PM
So? I like ranger better.

Strawberries
2010-08-23, 03:37 PM
So, I know I already did this on another thread, but Savannah isn't my DM there so I can't be a shameless brown-nose there :smalltongue: I wanted to let your guys know as well.

Happy birthday Savannah (again)! :smallbiggrin:

Janus
2010-08-23, 10:16 PM
Happy birthday, DM!

Binks
2010-08-23, 10:22 PM
Happy Birthday!

Janus
2010-08-23, 11:09 PM
Ooooh, can I have one? I would love him, and hug him, and pet him, and call him George! :smalltongue:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/Janus3003/awesomebeholder.jpg

Savannah
2010-08-24, 12:11 AM
And again I say: Thanks! :smallredface:

(Now I have to remember Strawberries' birthday... :smalltongue:)

Ranger Mattos
2010-08-24, 09:34 AM
Happy birthday! (It was yesterday, though...)

Devmaar
2010-08-24, 09:37 AM
Slightly belated Happy Birthday :smallbiggrin:

Dada
2010-08-24, 01:24 PM
Happy birthday from a not very reliable wifi connection in Banska Stiavnica.

Savannah
2010-08-25, 12:41 AM
Late happy birthdays count, thanks!

Strawberries, I just had a thought: is your Priya named after the Priya from Dollhouse? I've had this nagging feeling that I've seen the name before, and I suddenly remembered where it was from.

Strawberries
2010-08-25, 03:27 PM
Late happy birthdays count, thanks!

Strawberries, I just had a thought: is your Priya named after the Priya from Dollhouse? I've had this nagging feeling that I've seen the name before, and I suddenly remembered where it was from.

Yep. You caught me. :smallredface: (Whedon fangirl through and through :smallbiggrin:)

Savannah
2010-08-25, 03:38 PM
I only figured it out because I just got Dr. Horrible for my birthday and I was thinking about his other works. (Dollhouse isn't my favorite of his, or I'd probably have gotten it earlier. :smalltongue:)

Janus
2010-08-26, 10:54 AM
Yay, Dr. Horrible!

Savannah, is Group B still under the 48 hour rule for combat?

Strawberries
2010-08-26, 12:59 PM
I only figured it out because I just got Dr. Horrible for my birthday and I was thinking about his other works. (Dollhouse isn't my favorite of his, or I'd probably have gotten it earlier. :smalltongue:)

Oh, I want to see Dr. Horrible, too! :smallsmile:
To be honest, Dollhouse isn't my favourite either. But I liked Sierra a lot (it's Echo I have a problem with, but I'm known for preferring supporting characters over protagonists).

Janus
2010-08-31, 08:59 AM
Not to be a bother or anything, but are we still playing, Savannah?

Savannah
2010-08-31, 02:39 PM
It's not a bother, yes we are, and please smack me upside the head earlier next time :smallbiggrin:

Dada
2010-08-31, 03:32 PM
*Warning: Smacking the GM is not recommended. Side effects include, but are not limited to: Memory loss, exp loss, cursed loot and/or rocks falling. Use with caution.*

Also, I'm home again!

Savannah
2010-08-31, 05:07 PM
*Warning: Smacking the GM is not recommended. Side effects include, but are not limited to: Memory loss, exp loss, cursed loot and/or rocks falling. Use with caution.*

You forgot 'being hit with the DMG'. Don't you know that all DMs have "smite player" as an at-will ability? :smalltongue: Seriously, though, I managed to completely forget to update group B's thread. Sorry. :smallredface:

How was your trip?

Dada
2010-09-01, 01:52 AM
I had a great trip. Travelling with friends is always nice. We've seen a billion castles and churches, most of them from around the 12th century. (Okay, three castles and eight churches, I think.)

I also learned that trains with sleeping cabins are always at least thirty minutes late, and that you'd better plan for it, that Slovakians aren't quite sure how a cappucino is supposed to be served and that they prefer their steaks redder than Sovjet Russia has ever been. Also, they have excellent pancakes, and everything seems cheap, since Denmark is one of the most expensive countries.

Edit: A view of Banska Stiavnica (http://img.cestovanie.sk/magaziny/images/cestovanie/stories/psk_mesta/BS/04.jpg) for those interested.

Savannah
2010-09-01, 02:14 AM
Sounds like fun! (I'm kinda jealous, living in the US means there aren't really any castles to visit :smallfrown:)

Strawberries
2010-09-01, 12:46 PM
Sounds like fun! (I'm kinda jealous, living in the US means there aren't really any castles to visit :smallfrown:)

We are waiting for you in Italy! We have castles, ancient churches, cathedrals, Roman and Greek ruins, whatever you desire.

Actually, that was the biggest cultural shock in America for me: people defining ďancientĒ something only 200 years old. My grandmaís house is 200 years old. :smallconfused:

For us the scale is something like this:

* Over 2000 years old: ancient
* 2000-1000 years old: quite ancient/very old
* 1000-500 years old: old
* 500 years onward: yesterday :smalltongue:

Janus
2010-09-01, 09:13 PM
And if you take the age of the known universe (believed to be 16 billion years) and scale it to one year, the Egyptians built the pyramids 11 seconds ago.

Yes, I'm taking an astronomy course this semester. Why?

Hybasha
2010-09-03, 06:14 AM
im game for the continued adventure so if you have room for two more :D

Savannah
2010-09-11, 06:41 PM
So both groups are heading back to town (group A having been good little adventurers and looting the place for everything, group B having this weird idea about "respecting the dead" :smallwink:).

How do you all want to handle combining the groups? Retcon so that you were always one group? Introduced by the mayor and no one talks about how similar your previous adventures were? Any other ideas?

Strawberries
2010-09-12, 02:10 AM
group B having this weird idea about "respecting the dead" :smallwink:).

Really? How...odd. :smalltongue:

Dada
2010-09-12, 02:45 AM
You sense a great disturbance, as if a thousand worlds collapsed into one. Time and reality loses all meaning for the tiniest bit of a second as every molecule in your body is torn away. Then, a flash of bright light, and as you open your eyes, you suddenly... have more friends than you remember having had before.

Nah, but I don't really care if you retcon, or we are introduced by the mayor. In either case, we're probably not going to dwell to long on it. Also.. re-spect? Whats a res-pect?

Devmaar
2010-09-12, 04:26 AM
Well the dead never respected us.

Anyway, I think a retcon works best, otherwise we end up with two of the mysterious book.

Janus
2010-09-12, 09:20 AM
Go for retcon, and if anyone asks about the inconsistencies, the gods strike them down, no saving throw.

And, meh- I'm a holy crusader of Heironeous, not a grave robber. :smallcool:

Dada
2010-09-12, 09:32 AM
As a crusader of Heironeous, it should be your duty to defile this place as much as possible..

Edit: Assuming you identified it belonging yo Hextor, that is.

Binks
2010-09-12, 10:51 AM
Personally I'm a fan of the idea of having the groups introduced...but that would be a lot more GM work and potentially more confusing (I just like the possibilities that could arise as part of it) so the Retcon's probably better.

Ranger Mattos
2010-09-12, 11:40 AM
(group A having been good little adventurers and looting the place for everything, group B having this weird idea about "respecting the dead" :smallwink:)

I tried to tell them.

I don't really care how the groups are introduced, but being introduced sounds better.

Janus
2010-09-12, 10:17 PM
As a crusader of Heironeous, it should be your duty to defile this place as much as possible..

Edit: Assuming you identified it belonging yo Hextor, that is.

Level-headed crusader of Heironeous, then. :smallamused:

Binks
2010-09-12, 10:42 PM
Level-headed crusader of Heironeous, then. :smallamused:

Those exist? :smallwink:

Savannah
2010-09-13, 12:49 AM
There's nothing wrong with not stealing everything that isn't nailed down (and in fact it can be useful if there are ghosts or something who don't like you taking their stuff), but it's quite unusual among D&D groups. One time my real-life DM misread "granite floor tiles" in one of his modules as "garnet floor tiles". You should have seen the look on his face when I asked how long it would take to pry up the entire floor....

A couple of points due to the bigger group:
For initiative, I'm going to have you go in groups. Everyone who beats the enemy's initiative, the enemy, everyone else, repeat. If someone doesn't post in their group, I'll just assume that that character is fighting defensively or whatever else is the obvious reaction (if everyone is fleeing, they won't be stuck on one spot, and so on).
I'm not going to worry too much about who is where. Just give me an approximate location when the battle starts, and I'll figure out the details when I go through each group's actions.

I think I'm going to go for a retcon due to the duplicate maps, as Devmaar pointed out (that and the fact that you all did almost exactly the same thing the entire time). Everyone head on over to what was formerly Group A's thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147861).

Oh, by the way, it's early winter. Just 'cause I have to pick the season sometime :smalltongue:

Binks
2010-09-15, 06:56 PM
Out of town this weekend, just an FYI. Will be able to post Sunday.

Savannah
2010-09-15, 07:15 PM
I remembered one more change that I wanted to make:

I'm going to give XP once per week, instead of every fight. I'm thinking Sundays. Hopefully I'll remember....

By the way, where are you all heading, now that you're back to town?

Dada
2010-09-16, 02:58 AM
I'm thinking we should report our findings to the mayor and the church. Comments?

Ranger Mattos
2010-09-16, 07:11 AM
For our group I had suggested going to the library to find out what the writing says.

Binks
2010-09-16, 08:51 AM
Either way sounds good to me. I'd prefer the library (more Marlon's style) but either way is fine, we could even split up to torment the GM :P.

Dada
2010-09-16, 10:59 AM
I'd say we go to the library - as soon as we have spoken to the mayor and the local church. Both might be very interested to know what we have found, and might be able to provide us with further information.

Also, I just read through group B's thread. A practical question: Do we have one or two of the green books now, if one, then has the trap been removed?

Savannah
2010-09-16, 12:25 PM
we could even split up to torment the GM :P.

As long as you're in a safe area, it's not that bad. The entire thread is in spoilers for a while, however :smalltongue:

Also, I just read through group B's thread. A practical question: Do we have one or two of the green books now, if one, then has the trap been removed?

Let's say one book, trap disarmed.

Strawberries
2010-09-16, 12:34 PM
As long as you're in a safe area, it's not that bad. The entire thread is in spoilers for a while, however :smalltongue:

No, please! Not again! :smalltongue:
Savannah knows what I'm talking about. :smallwink::smallbiggrin:

In another game we are playing together, we split up and...let's just say we weren't in a safe area.

Anyway, mayor then library is fine for me.

Savannah
2010-09-16, 05:37 PM
No, please! Not again!

That's why I said "As long as you're in a safe area." :smalltongue:

Dada
2010-09-16, 05:42 PM
I bet it wouldn't take long to make the town... unsafe...

Janus
2010-09-16, 06:42 PM
"You arrive at the town. It is on fire, with velociraptor-mounted bears wielding flaming axes mowing down the peasantry. What do you do?"

If the group splits up, Jairus will head to the pub church.

EDIT
I really need to stop mentioning potential TPKs around Savannah, huh?

Savannah
2010-09-16, 06:47 PM
velociraptor-mounted bears

How in Pelor's name do you expect me to pull that off?!

Oh, wait. Druids. Nevermind, I can do it :smallwink:

By the way, I'm sorta waiting on an IC post saying where you're going.

Janus
2010-09-16, 07:45 PM
Reminds me of a WAV file I heard a long time ago:
"Okay, who's the Druid with a sense of humor? That gave the deer the ability to shoot back!?"

Savannah
2010-09-17, 02:23 AM
I feel that I should mention that there was a logical* thought progression leading to the events at the mayor's door. Remind me to tell you what it was.

*I've been in a silly mood all evening, so I can't promise that it was a good logical process. :smalltongue:

Janus
2010-09-19, 08:33 PM
We're not going to sing the bath song from Fellowship of the Ring, are we?

Ranger Mattos
2010-09-19, 08:41 PM
Of course we are!

Wait. We can't have a LoTR reference before we have a Monty Python reference! So someone make one quickly!

Janus
2010-09-19, 09:10 PM
Done.
Anything else?

Also, Savannah, could you get a list of everyone in the party? I'm unfamiliar with who's playing what in Group A.
Thanks.

Savannah
2010-09-19, 09:22 PM
I believe the full list is:

Strawberries - Priya - female human ranger
Dada - Telim - male human cleric of Pelor
NegativeFifteen - Cevian - male elf wizard
Devmaar - Chariam - male halfling rogue
Janus - Jairus - male human paladin (of Heironeous)
Hybasha - Aramil - male half-elf druid (+ Runta - female wolf)
Binks - Marlon - male human wizard
Ranger Mattos - Kelsan - male elf ranger

I've also updated the first post with a link to the game thread and links to all the current players' sheets.
(8 players! I'm nuts! :smalltongue:)

Janus
2010-09-19, 09:32 PM
You rock, Savannah!

I was looking at a thread earlier, with everyone talking about what D&D class they'd want to be in real life: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168290
One guy said "Paladin of Tyranny."
Seriously? Why the heck would you choose an evil alignment?

Strawberries
2010-09-20, 03:53 PM
You rock, Savannah![//QUOTE]

Indeed, but:

[QUOTE=Savannah;9373326]I feel that I should mention that there was a logical* thought progression leading to the events at the mayor's door. Remind me to tell you what it was.

I demand to know it. Now. :smalltongue:. Please? :smallbiggrin:

I was looking at a thread earlier, with everyone talking about what D&D class they'd want to be in real life: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168290
One guy said "Paladin of Tyranny."
Seriously? Why the heck would you choose an evil alignment?

Because you have a strange sense of humor? Tyranny, bah. What's the point of being evil, if you can't be chaotic as well? :smalltongue:
For the record, lawful evil scares me the most. :smalleek:

Savannah
2010-09-20, 04:24 PM
I demand to know it. Now. :smalltongue:. Please? :smallbiggrin:

You know, you could just ask her why she attacked your knees with a broom. Won't help you with my thought process, but it'll at least tell you the IC reason.

Strawberries
2010-09-20, 04:54 PM
You know, you could just ask her why she attacked your knees with a broom. Won't help you with my thought process, but it'll at least tell you the IC reason.

Okay, now I have to do this(*). I'm heading to the IC thread.

(*)I'm considering "curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back" as my real-life motto. Just so you know. :smalltongue:

Savannah
2010-09-20, 05:32 PM
Alright, so the full story...

Pretty late at night, I was already feeling silly for most of the day...

Read Dada's comment about making the town...unsafe. Thought: Nah. I don't want to make every town have problems as soon as the PCs roll in. I mean, life goes on without them.

Hmm...life goes on without them. You know, I've already established that it's dinner time. Wouldn't it be funny if no one answers the door, and the players all think that something horrible has happened, but in reality, they're just trying to enjoy a quiet dinner?

No, that won't work. The mayor is a pretty hands-on kinda guy, he'd want to know as soon as something happened.

Oooh, wouldn't it be funny if some kids were using that against him? Playing ding-dong ditch every night at dinner time or something?

Yeah, that'd be really funny. How would they react?

Elly would totally be pissed off. Chasing them down the street with a broom, or something. Hey, what if she thought the PCs were the kids?

*snigger* So you come back to town after fighting monsters and are attacked by a gnome housekeeper with a broom. Nice.

So, yeah. Seemed logical at the time. Still works for me, but then I'm weird. :smalltongue:

Janus
2010-09-20, 05:38 PM
Heh, nice.

Dinner consists of an excellent rabbit stew with fresh bread, followed by apple pie.
Dang it, that sounds really good.

Dada
2010-09-27, 05:11 PM
We should probably decide what to do with the loot from the tomb. Telim could make use of the half-plate, but it might be more useful for others?

Devmaar
2010-09-27, 05:18 PM
As party rogue I recommend selling it all and investing in low-risk long-term bonds.

As a player I suggest give the Armour to whoever has the lowest current AC of those who can wear it without losing DEX to AC, if there's anyone who can use the axe effectively they should get it, the pouches and their contents should probably be kept for now (gems are easier to carry than their equivalent in coins)

Binks
2010-09-27, 06:20 PM
...I hate you too die rolling program that won't give me higher than a 5 on any int checks...

None of the loot would be useful to Marlon, and he's fine with whatever distribution everyone else decides on.

Savannah
2010-09-27, 06:30 PM
Since I'm nice, I'll probably use Kelsan's check as the primary check in place of yours :smalltongue: