PDA

View Full Version : D&D beginners' game

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Savannah
2010-04-04, 06:10 PM
I'll repost all the character sheet links sometime....

A quick note: I’m going to be spoilering things I don’t want you to know, so if it doesn’t have your name or “all players” on it, don’t read it!

OOC thread is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147860).

~~~~~~~~~

You are all standing around the main square of Alderstown, a small farming village, minding your own business when Atton, the son of the mayor, comes running into town. He spots his father and sprints over to him, shouting as he runs:
“Kara! She fell into a hill! We were playing outside of the town and she fell in! I couldn’t find her; she’s really scared!”

Kara is the mayor’s younger child, a girl about 5 years old.

The mayor looks around frantically, and you decide to offer to find Kara. He accepts gratefully; with his lame leg, he would not be able to rescue her himself. Atton starts pulling you towards the hills behind town.

When you arrive at the hillside, Atton says:
“We were playing hide and seek on this hill and I heard her scream. I couldn’t find the hole where she fell in, but she said she was underground and scared when I shouted to her.”

You are not surprised that Atton couldn’t find whatever hole Kara fell into; the hillside is covered in dense undergrowth.

You can question Atton further or roll Search checks to find the hole, or anything else you think will be useful.

Dada
2010-04-04, 06:26 PM
As soon as Atton is finished talking, Telim shouts.
Kara, can you hear me? Are you hurt?
He keeps his eyes peeled for the hole - or anything out of the ordinary - as he listens for a response.

Spot: (1d20+3) [roll0]
Listen: (1d20+3) [roll1]

OOC:

Disregard the rolls if they are irrelevant or wrong. I hope nobody minds me snagging the blue color for Telim?

Kumo
2010-04-04, 06:42 PM
Jorkan stayed silent, then pulled his dual-bladed sword off of his back. Well, Atton, you said she fell into a hole, so...

There was a flash and a woosh of air as Jorkan swung his blade through one of the shrubs. This'll help us keep track. KARA! WE'VE GOT CANDY!! He called as he made his way to the next shrub. Nobody's mad, just wanna make sure you're safe...

Spot
[roll0]

Listen
[roll1]

-=If needed =-
Attack
[roll2]

Damage
[roll3]

Savannah
2010-04-04, 07:37 PM
Atton squeaks and jumps back when Jorkan cuts down the bush. There is no reply to either of your calls.

Also, you'll want to be rolling Search, not Spot. (Spot is to notice something, like a hidden creature; Search is to actively look for something, like a hidden door.)

Dada
2010-04-04, 07:45 PM
"Easy there, Jorkan, we don't wanna hit her". Telim then turns to Atton. "Where were you, when you heard your sister?

OOC:

I am not rolling the search check yet, since Telim is not actually searching the area, just looking around.

Turk Mannion
2010-04-05, 01:39 AM
Another lost child - the thought kept running through Jess's mind as he followed the others up the hillside. He watched as the others ran headlong up the hillside, Jorkan even swinging his blade to clear the brush. Jess stood still for a moment, half-listening to the question posed by Telim while examining the hillside for any clues as to the girl's location. He then moved deftly along to search on his own...careful to remain clear of Jorkan's weapon.

Search [roll0]

Savannah
2010-04-05, 02:08 AM
"Where were you, when you heard your sister?

"I was over there, behind that rock," he points to a boulder. "I had my eyes closed while she hid, but then I heard her scream from that direction," he indicates slightly further up the hillside, "and when I looked I couldn't see her. When I shouted for her, she said she fell in a hole, but I couldn't find it anywhere so I told her to wait while I went and got help."

Jess, following Atton's indication, finds a narrow fissure in the ground, maybe 8' long and no more than 2 1/2' wide at its widest, in a dense patch of shrubbery. The bushes look a bit damaged, as if someone had fallen on them or grabbed hold of them.

Strawberries
2010-04-05, 02:21 AM
That is a nasty fall for a child. I hope she is all right Pryia had followed the other in silence till then, keeping her eyes open. When she sees the hole she flattens to the ground, trying to hear possible movements from underground

"Kara, sweetie, can you hear me? Are you all right? Priya shouts in the hole, then stops to listen

[roll0]

Dada
2010-04-05, 04:56 AM
Telim kneels near the fissure, trying to catch a glimpse of either Kara or the bottom.
He frowns slightly, trying to make sens of his thoughts and worries. Why isn't she answering? She was supposed to stay and wait for us. Atton didn't seem to think she was seriously hurt - I hope he is right.

Savannah
2010-04-05, 11:12 AM
You do not hear any reply from the hole.

Derjuin
2010-04-05, 11:58 AM
Miralynn casts a worried glance down into the fissure, then kneels next to it, trying to make out anything inside of it - the bottom, something inside, maybe Kara.

Strawberries
2010-04-05, 12:22 PM
Priya glances again down the hole, worried about the lack of answers, then gets up, dusting herself off, before fishing out something from her backpack

"Very well, looks like we're going to have to go down there" she says, pulling out a coiled rope "Can anyone lower me down?"

Turk Mannion
2010-04-05, 01:36 PM
Jess steps forward and holds his hands out for the rope. "Why don't you let me go down or even the goblin. I hate to see another youngster get stuck down there...or hurt."

Kumo
2010-04-05, 03:24 PM
Jorkan grabbed onto one end of the rope. Wish me luck. He jumped into the hole, yelling WHEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Strawberries
2010-04-05, 04:10 PM
Priya bristles a little to Jess implications I assure you, I can handle myself. Then, seeing Jorkan jumping down the hole before even waiting the rope is ensured to something "Now that is one crazy goblin. I'm going to follow him, make sure he doesn't do anything stupid. We could tie the rope to something, I suppose"

Search [roll0] for a place to hook the rope to

Turk Mannion
2010-04-05, 04:27 PM
"No insult intended, lass....old guys like me are just here to keep an eye on the youngsters. If you are intent on following the goblin, although at a slower rate, I can brace the rope up here until you get down."

Jess's face displays honesty, both for his apology and his willingness to help.

strength check to hold the rope if she accepts [roll0]

Dada
2010-04-05, 04:38 PM
Telim glares at the goblin as he jumps down the hole. "I really hope he doesn't land on top of her.." He then turns to Jess. "You want me to lend you a hand there, Jess?" Telim will be assisting Jess with the rope, if he accepts.

OOC:

Updated my background on the sheet to include Alderstown.

Strawberries
2010-04-05, 04:39 PM
She relaxes a bit, nodding "Thank you for the offer. I do intend to follow the goblin, yes. Are you sure you wish to stay up here? "

Dada
2010-04-05, 04:57 PM
"Well, we just have to get her up from that hole, right? No need for everyone to clutter down there." He pauses. "On the other hand, my skills might come in handy down there if she's hurt. But I'm sure I'll find a way down, if the necessity arises. You just go ahead." He flashes Priya an encouraging smile, then picks up the rope.

Savannah
2010-04-05, 08:53 PM
Priya finds a sturdy shrub to attach the rope to. Meanwhile, Jess holds the rope steady for Jorkan, who discovers that the fissure remains narrow for about 10' before widening into a cave.

Anyone in the cave can read this:
The cavern looks like this (the grey outline is the shape of the fissure):
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/3908/fissurecave.png

The cave is dark; just enough light filters down from the fissure above for you see dimly. The air is cool and damp. The floor is rocky and uneven and, around you, you can see many stalactites and stalagmites, some of which have formed columns. Kara is nowhere to be seen.

Strawberries
2010-04-06, 08:08 AM
"No need for anyone to stay here" Priya attaches the rope to the shrub she found, giving it an experimental tug to see if it gives way, before nodding, satisfied. "I'm going to ensure that crazy goblin doesn't scare Kara more than she already is" she says, before carefully lowering herself in the hole.

EDIT: OOC
It just occurs to me that maybe I needed to make a "Use rope" check. If it's possible, I'll just say I took my time to tie a firm knot.

Dada
2010-04-06, 08:49 AM
Well, I can't really leave a child and a lady alone in a dark hole with "that crazy goblin" now, can I? Telim climbs down the rope, once Priya has reached the floor safely.

Climb roll:

I guess it is not possible to take 10 here, since there would be a consequence for failure. If I am wrong, I will probably just take 10.
[roll0]

OOC:

It would be a kind of boring adventure, if this was just a fissure with Kara laying on the bottom. Telim however, has not yet realised that we are probably entering a dungeon.

Edit: And it seems that Jorukan has already earned himself a nickname :wink:

Savannah
2010-04-06, 12:34 PM
You can take 10 as long as you aren't being distracted or threatened, even if there is a consequence for failure, because that represents an average roll. However, you can't take 20 if there is a consequence for failure, because that represents trying repeatedly.

If Priya takes 10 on her Use Rope check and her Climb check and Telim takes 10 on his climb check, you both get down safely. (See earlier spoiler for cave description.)

Dada
2010-04-06, 12:56 PM
"Well, standing around down here won't help anything. I guess we ought to go look for her."
In the cave, I guess:

Telim lights his Lantern, and moves closer to the tunnel, trying to see for how long it
continues.

"Jess, Miralynn, you might want to come with us down here."

OOC:

Not sure how much of the action I should spoiler. Better safe than sorry, so I decided to spoiler everything.

When do I remove one flask of oil from my sheet? Now, or when 6 hours has passed, and it has been burnt out?

Edit: Added quotations marks to the speaking parts.

Strawberries
2010-04-06, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the explanation, Savannah!

In the cave

Priya lights a torch as well, looking around the cave, trying to get a sense of her surroundings

[roll0] [roll1]

Kumo
2010-04-06, 02:40 PM
Jorkan whistled as he stood up. Big cave.

(Pressed for time)

Turk Mannion
2010-04-06, 06:05 PM
Jess sighed. "When are these kids going to learn....."

He grabbed the rope and began to lower himself down. "At least wait until we all get down."

Take 10 to climb down = 12

Derjuin
2010-04-07, 09:40 AM
"Alright, be right down." Miralynn waits for Jess to descend, then grabs the rope and climbs down.

Take 10 = 8

OOC:

Sorry I haven't been able to post a whole bunch, end of semester stuff is keeping me rather busy in my free time...*grumble*

Dada
2010-04-07, 09:51 AM
Telim searches the cave for a clue as to what happened to Kara. Then, assuming everyone got down safely, he heads for the tunnel. "We'd better hurry before she gets too far, guys."

Search: [roll0]

OOC:

Derjuin, Kumosabe, no worries with the time. We can't all spend 10-12 hours a day in front of the pc, working on a project for the final grading :tongue:

Savannah
2010-04-07, 10:49 AM
I think everyone is inside now.

Telim:
You find what appears to be the tracks of a small humanoid on the cave floor.

Dada
2010-04-07, 11:13 AM
"I think I found some tracks here. They're probably from Kara."

Savannah:

I assume the tracks leads down the tunnel?

Savannah
2010-04-07, 12:09 PM
Technically, without the Track feat, you can't follow tracks. Priya can roll a Survival check to attempt to track (as can anyone with the Track feat, but rangers get it for free so I know she has it).

Dada
2010-04-07, 12:49 PM
OOC:

Fair enough.

"Priya, you might want to take a look at this. I can' really figure out where the track leads."

Strawberries
2010-04-07, 01:41 PM
"Let me see" Priya crouches down, taking a closer look to the tracks. Well, at least she could move, which means she is not seriously hurt

One ranger coming right up! [roll0]

Savannah
2010-04-07, 06:09 PM
The tracks are everywhere; as near as you can tell, Kara started wandering without any clue where to go. However, you find a trail leading out the tunnel and no trail leading back in.

From above, Atton shouts, "I'll tell Da that you are following her," and runs back towards town.

Dada
2010-04-07, 06:24 PM
"Tell him we'll have your sister back safely in no time, and don't worry." He then turns to Priya. "Do you wanna lead the way?"

Telim will follow Priya down the tunnel if she accepts. He will, however, stop and wait for the others about ten feet down the corridor, if they don't follow.

Kumo
2010-04-07, 07:12 PM
Jorkan looked up at the fissure, his eyes narrowed. Then he calmly stepped forward and stood behind Priya, arms folded as he thought.

Sense Motive
[roll0]

(ye gods.)

Savannah
2010-04-07, 07:25 PM
Kumosabe:
Is that sense motive aimed at Priya or at Atton?

Derjuin
2010-04-07, 07:29 PM
To Savannah:

How dark is it in here? Can normal humans see in the cave-hole?

Kumo
2010-04-07, 07:31 PM
Kumosabe:
Is that sense motive aimed at Priya or at Atton?

Atton. doesn't matter, it was a 3 =P

Savannah
2010-04-07, 07:52 PM
Derjuin (and everyone else): humans can barely see by the light coming down from the fissure. Once you leave this cave, only those with darkvision will be able to see without a light source.

Kumosabe:
Normally, that's a skill I roll for players since I don't want them to know how well they did. :smallbiggrin: Would you like me to reroll it for you?

Kumo
2010-04-07, 08:00 PM
Derjuin (and everyone else): humans can barely see by the light coming down from the fissure. Once you leave this cave, only those with darkvision will be able to see without a light source.

Kumosabe:
Normally, that's a skill I roll for players since I don't want them to know how well they did. :smallbiggrin: Would you like me to reroll it for you?

Yes please. =P

Savannah
2010-04-07, 08:03 PM
Kumosabe:
I'm rolling it here, and will edit in just a second with the results. He seems sincere. Very worried, but probably just about his sister being missing.

No peeking:
[roll0]

Strawberries
2010-04-08, 01:02 AM
"Do you wanna lead the way?"

"Of course. Follow me.". Priya takes the lead, torch held high. She turns for a moment to consider the entrance, then decides against taking the rope, since it provides a reliable mean of exit.

Savannah
2010-04-08, 03:57 PM
The tunnel is not terribly long and opens into a new cave.

Map + description (all players):
http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/1421/centralcavesmall.png

In addition to the three natural exits, the southeast side of this large cavern has caved in, creating a large rubble pile. Beyond it, you can just glimpse worked stone. A faint scent of rotting meat permeates the air.

The footprints you are following lead north.

Dada
2010-04-08, 04:48 PM
"Wow.. these caves are much bigger than I expected. And we are apparently not the only ones down here." He glances towards the worked stone, then wrinkles his nose. "And whatever's down here is either dead, or not huge on this whole "cleaning thing". I don't like this one bit. We'd better hurry on.

Kumo
2010-04-08, 04:56 PM
Jorkan drew his blade and made his way through the cave with the others, keeping his eyes open for anything that seemed like a threat. He snarled a bit at the rank smell of dead meat. Oh, the Mayor's not gonna like this at all.

Strawberries
2010-04-09, 12:30 AM
Priya stops for a moment to consider the cave, then turns her attention to the tracks she is following "She apparently went that way." Hearing the sound of Jorkan's blade being drawn, she turns, seems to think for a moment, then unsheathes her rapier as well "Better be careful, here"

And because I guess it can't hurt, and it stands to reason that she would be aware of her surroundings [roll0] [roll1]

Derjuin
2010-04-09, 05:15 PM
Miralynn looks deeper into the cave nervously, her eyes unable to perceive the darkened areas ahead. Hearing the others drawing their weapons, she draws her crossbow, and casts Light on it. As she enters the next room of the cave, her nose curls up and she furrows her brow.

"What a horrid smell..." She mutters, hoping that whatever is making the smell has nothing to do with the little girl.

Dada
2010-04-09, 07:53 PM
As the party moves north through the cave, Telim likewise draws his weapon. "I really hope we find her sooner rather than later."

Turk Mannion
2010-04-09, 10:55 PM
Muttering a silent prayer for the young girl's safety...as well as his companions', Jess drew out his crossbow and nocked a bolt. He dropped back a bit from the light spell, sticking to the shadows.

No need to walk straight into trouble without an ace-in-the-hole

If possible, hide and move silently. I know everyone else is making noise, but I am trying to remain a bit discrete.

Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]

Savannah
2010-04-10, 01:18 PM
Are you all following the tracks north?

Strawberries
2010-04-10, 01:22 PM
For my part yes, I guess. Also, does Pryia see/hear anything?

Dada
2010-04-10, 01:36 PM
It seems like everyone are following the tracks.

Savannah
2010-04-10, 07:12 PM
OOC: I realized I forgot to mention when you first entered the cave that the floor is extremely uneven, so you are forced to move at 1/2 speed.

As you move north, you hear a young girl scream in fear from further ahead. The tunnel eventually opens out into the following cave:
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/3058/northcave.png

The smell of rotting meat is stronger in this cave, and you can see Kara ("K") huddled back against the wall, cowering away from the largest centipedes you have ever seen. Two are the size of dogs ("SC") and the third is nearly the size of a pony ("MC")! When you reach the mouth of their cave, the centipedes turn towards your light.

Centipede initiative: [roll0]

Dada
2010-04-10, 08:38 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

"Oh, by the light of the Shining One.."

Turk Mannion
2010-04-10, 10:45 PM
"Everyone be careful!" Jess calls out as he moves toward the front.

Initiative [roll0]

Kumo
2010-04-10, 11:02 PM
Jorkan gripped his blade tighter and snarled. "Defend yourselves!"

(where are we in the cave?)

[roll0]

Strawberries
2010-04-11, 01:00 AM
[roll0] Edit: gaaah!

Priya holds her rapier in front of her, preparing to attack.

Derjuin
2010-04-11, 10:23 AM

Miralynn gasps at the sight of the large creatures harassing the girl. She looks to her crossbow and sighs, having forgotten to load the thing with a bolt.

Savannah
2010-04-11, 12:47 PM
Just so you know, the dots on the map are stalagmites or columns. They all provide a cover bonus: +2 AC and +1 Reflex if you are standing in their square. Also, each square is 5'.

You are standing just below where the map begins. Because you are not actually fighting anything there, I'm going to assume that you can push past each other without trouble, so everyone effectively starts their movement in D8.

Initiative:
{table]Jess | 23
Miralynn | 22
Centipedes| 20
Telim | 11
Jorkan | 10
Priya | 4[/table]

Jess is up.

Turk Mannion
2010-04-12, 01:33 AM
Eager to end this before someone got hurt, especially the innocent child, Jess slid past the others, heading for the closest beast and sliced at it with his rapier.

"Someone get the child out of here quickly!"

Move Action:
Move 25' to C3.

Standard Action:
Rapier [roll0]
Damage if hit [roll1] + sneak attack (since they are flat footed) [roll2]

Derjuin
2010-04-12, 10:28 AM
Miralynn moves forward and left, behind the stalagmite at C5. She hesitates with her crossbow, and instead begins to sing a song, one that hopefully inspires both Kara and her comrades.

(Inspire Courage +1)

"Fear nary a fright,
And show them your might,
Our courage, it shines so bright!

Rescue that girl,
For she's no churl,
Rather, the prettiest pearl!"

Bah, it took me forever to come up with that song...:smalltongue:

Savannah
2010-04-12, 07:39 PM
Unfortunately for Jess, you are all moving at 1/2 speed due to the extremely uneven floors. Do you want to move to C3 and wait until next round to attack, or end your movement somewhere else?

Derjuin - You actually came up with a song for this situation! I'm really impressed. (The lag time in pbp actually came in handy for once!)
Everyone gets +1 attack, damage, and saves against charm/fear.

The centipedes will attack when I know where Jess is.

Turk Mannion
2010-04-12, 11:28 PM
Seeing the rough ground and fearful of taking a spill before reaching the creatures, he positions himself in a strategic place and readies his weapon.

Sorry, I missed that in your post.

He will move to D5 to bottle neck things and ready an action to attack the first bad thing to come within reach.

Savannah
2010-04-13, 11:50 AM
The centipedes all turn and move towards you.

MC moves to B4 and bites at Miralynn:
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
If it hits, you need to make a Fortitude save.

The SC at B3 moves to C4 and bites at Jess:
Attack: [roll2]
Damage: 1

The SC at B3 moves to D4 and bites at Jess:
Attack: [roll3]
Damage: 1

Telim's turn.

Dada
2010-04-13, 01:01 PM
"Don't worry Kara, we'll have you out of here in no time!" He places his lantern on the rugged cavefloor, then advances to D6 with mace in hand.

Edit: Jorkan is up.

Savannah
2010-04-14, 11:43 AM
As Dada pointed out, Jess gets to use his readied attack against one of the centipedes. They all moved at about the same time, so your pick of either one that bit at you.

Kumo
2010-04-14, 02:47 PM
Jorkan ran forward and slashed his blade at the centipede, snarling as he brought the other side around for a second blow.

Moves from D8 to D4 and attacks the monster at D5 with his sword, dual wielding.

Attack
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Turk Mannion
2010-04-15, 12:33 AM
As Dada pointed out, Jess gets to use his readied attack against one of the centipedes. They all moved at about the same time, so your pick of either one that bit at you.

Jess watched as the two centipedes wiggled there way toward him, the legs undulating over the rocky surface. As they reached him, Jess slashed with his rapier, hoping to kill it before it could attack. His lunge left him open to the other vermin, as it stretched out and sunk its teeth into his exposed leg above his boot. Jess quickly shook it loose as he wondered what foul poison might course through the centipedes mouth.

Fort Save: [roll]1d20+1[roll]

Attack Centipede at C4: [roll0]

Turk Mannion
2010-04-15, 12:34 AM
screwed up the fort role:

[roll0]

Savannah
2010-04-15, 01:28 AM
Jess's blade slides across the centipede's thick scales without effect. He does not feel any effect from the poison.

Jorkan can't move all the way to D4 and attack, as he has to move at 1/2 speed (it takes him 2 move actions to reach D4, and he can move there without attacking).

Priya is up (I think Strawberries should be back now).

Strawberries
2010-04-15, 09:05 AM
"Stay there, Kara, don't move!" Priya runs forward, past Jess and attacks with her rapier the centipede who bit him.

Moving to E5 and attacking the centipede in D4
EDIT=messwd up the code, see next post

Strawberries
2010-04-15, 09:06 AM
Attack [roll0] Damage [roll1]

Savannah
2010-04-15, 12:26 PM
Priya plunges her rapier in a gap the in centipede's exoskeleton. It convulses and dies.

Kara scrambles further back into the cave now that the centipedes do not surround her.

End of round 1 (all players):
Jess D5
Miralynn C5
MC B4
SC C4
Telim D6
Jorkan D4
Priya E5
Kara C1

DM only:
Jess makes another fort in 1 min
Both centipedes full health

Jess is up again.

Turk Mannion
2010-04-15, 01:03 PM
Have to protect the girl

Taking a deep breathe, Jess tumbles past his comrade, scraping his shoulder across the rocky ground, but ignoring the pain, as he moved into a flanking position with Miralyn. This also placed him between Kara and the two centipedes. Again, he lashed out with his rapier.

Tumble check
Moving from D5 to D7, through Jorkan and trying to avoid any AaO from SC with the tumble check. Then moving to C3. 15' feet of total movement, due to tumbling and rough terrain.

Rapier Attack (adding +2 for flank) [roll1]
Damage if hit (with sneak) [roll]1d6+1d6

Turk Mannion
2010-04-15, 01:05 PM
OH, that tumble check is not going to do me any good.....

messed up on the damage roll:

[roll0] + [roll1]

Savannah
2010-04-15, 03:53 PM
The centipede snaps at you as you move past it.
Attack [roll0]
Damage 1
Fort save if hit

OOC: For the record, I did not know your character history when I made this adventure. I did :smallbiggrin: when I saw your history, however. Gotta love perfect plot hooks!

Miralynn is up.

Derjuin
2010-04-17, 12:08 PM
Miralynn continues her song (this is a free action since it doesn't require concentration, right?), threads a bolt onto her crossbow, and fires it into the the centipede at B4.

Eep, messed up the roll

(Spoilered above in case the song actually takes up my ability to attack).

"Give 'em hell!
And save the belle,
Now sound their death-knell!"

Savannah
2010-04-17, 01:30 PM
I don't see anything in the inspire courage description about it requiring concentration, so you should be able to attack. However, both loading a crossbow and making a ranged attack provoke attacks of opportunity, so you may not want to do those while you are next to the centipede (each centipede would only get one attack of opportunity, but there are two in position to make an attack of opportunity against you).

I don't think there is anyone in D6 at the moment, so you could take a 5' step back, then load and fire your crossbow. Never mind, Telim is there.

Derjuin
2010-04-17, 02:50 PM
Ah, okay, I think I'll do something else instead of load and fight then...

As she sings, Miralynn keeps her eyes on the centipede between herself and Jess.

(Fighting defensively vs. that centipede, -4 attack to get +2 AC vs. it)

Savannah
2010-04-17, 05:29 PM
If you are not attacking, may I suggest total defense? No attack and +4 AC.

The centipede in B4 bites at Miralynn again:
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
If hit, roll Fortitude.

The centipede in C4 bites at Jorkan:
Attack [roll2]
Damage 1
If hit, you know the drill :smallwink:

Telim is up!

Derjuin
2010-04-17, 05:32 PM
Yeah, total defense is better...where's that rule at?

With total defense, my AC is 19, do I keep that number for this turn?

Dada
2010-04-17, 06:00 PM
With one of the centipedes down, Telim presses the advantage and brings down his mace on the monster in C4. His lack of combat practice shows, however, as he swings wide and lose his footing on the rough ground.

Assuming it is my go - if more things need to be cleared up, just disregard this post.

Attack: [roll0] (+1 str, +1 inspire courage) Edit: *Swears*
Damage: [roll1] (see above)

Note: Telim does not wield his shield, and recieves no AC bonus from it.

Savannah
2010-04-17, 06:13 PM
Derjuin: Yes, you keep that AC as for this round. Total defense is on page 142 of my player's handbook, or try searching the SRD.

Dada: Roll your attack again to see if you have a critical failure.

Dada
2010-04-18, 04:35 AM
Eep!

Confirm: [roll0]

Savannah
2010-04-18, 12:52 PM
Fortunately for you, Telim manages to recover from his mis-swing without hurting himself or his allies.

Jorkan's turn.

Kumo
2010-04-18, 12:56 PM
Jorkan snarled at the centipede that just attacked him (despite the fact that it didn't work) and slashed his blade back at it.

Attack
[roll0]
[roll1]

Damage
[roll2]
[roll3]

Savannah
2010-04-18, 01:05 PM
Jorkan's attack is far more effective than that of the centipede, and he chops it into several pieces.

Next would be Priya.

Strawberries
2010-04-18, 01:19 PM
With a last look to make sure Kara is alright, Pryia advances towards the last centipede, slashing at it with her rapier.

[roll0] [roll1] OOps, I forgot to add: moving to C4

Savannah
2010-04-18, 01:29 PM
And Priya kills another one!

With the centipedes dead, Kara runs towards you with her arms outstretched.

Strawberries
2010-04-18, 01:44 PM
Pryia kneels down to Kara's level, looking for injuries "Are you hurt, sweetie? Don't worry, we'll get you back to your brother in no time"

Savannah
2010-04-18, 01:47 PM
Kara throws her arms around Priya and shakes her head to indicate that she is not hurt. You can see that she is bruised and scraped, but she does not appear to have been bitten.

Dada
2010-04-18, 02:01 PM
Once it is confirmed that Kara is relatively well, Telim turns to the others. "Is anyone hurt?" He then adds: "We'd better get out of here as soon as possible."

Turk Mannion
2010-04-18, 02:36 PM
Jess nods in agreement with Telim, a smile on his face that the little girl is unharmed.

Strawberries
2010-04-18, 03:13 PM
Priya picks up the child, then turns to the others "Let's go back, then. My rope should still be at the entrance"

Do I need a strenght check to pick up a child? If so [roll0]

Derjuin
2010-04-18, 03:23 PM
Miralynn sighs happily knowing the child is safe.

"Hurry, now, let's get her back to her home." She holds her crossbow up, letting the light flood back into the room behind them.

Dada
2010-04-18, 03:29 PM
Telim turns around, picks up his lantern from the cave floor, and leads the way back towards the entrance with the mace in one hand and the lantern in the other. "Let's hope we don't run into more of those creeps."

Telim will continue all the way back to the rope, if everyone else follows, and nothing else happens.

Turk Mannion
2010-04-18, 05:51 PM
Jess takes a quick look around the cavern to ensure there is nothing interesting left there before following.

I know it is a pretty big area and he is just making a cursory search. If you want to use spot instead, since he is not focusing on any one area for long, that is fine.
Search: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]

Savannah
2010-04-18, 06:06 PM
The only thing of note that Jess finds is a nest, presumably from the centipedes, containing the partially eaten bodies of several bats. The seems to be where the smell of rotting meat is coming from.

Nothing happens on the way to the rope.

Dada
2010-04-19, 04:17 AM
OOC:

How difficult would it be to climb the rope while carrying Kara?

Savannah
2010-04-19, 02:15 PM
It would be a pain to climb while carrying Kara, but you could probably convince her to climb up with your help.

Strawberries
2010-04-19, 02:59 PM
Pryia puts the child down, then addresses her in what she hopes is a calming tone: "Kara, sweetie, we need you to climb up that rope. Your daddy and your brother are waiting for you upside. Can you be brave just a little longer?" She looks at the others "It's probably a good idea if one of us climbs first, wait up to catch her. We could tie the end of the rope to her waist, make sure she doesn't fall"

Kumo
2010-04-19, 03:24 PM
Jorkan nodded. "I'll head up and find something to tie it on to." He said calmly, looking between the party members. "Any objections?"

Dada
2010-04-19, 03:27 PM
"Go ahead. Oh, and maybe we should knot the rope to make the climbing easier?"

Edit: OOC:

That might take a bit long. I can't seem to find the relevant rules for this.

Turk Mannion
2010-04-19, 05:19 PM
As the conversation continued, Jess watched behind them for any other sign of vermin or other attacks. He doubted there was anything else there, but one did not become an old adventurer by assuming often.

Dada
2010-04-22, 08:36 AM
As soon as Jorkan is done, Telim ties the rope to Kara's waist, making sure that it isn't long enough for her to hit the floor if she falls. "There, now you're getting up safely Kara."

His voice then grows stronger and deeper:
"Know that the light of Pelor shines upon you and guides you to safety. He will not let any harm come to you."

Actions:

Take ten on Use Rope check, for a result of 10. DC for to tie the rope firmly to Kara should be 10, as I understand the entry.

Casts guidance on Kara, giving her +1 to her climb check.

This is of course assuming that Jorkan encounters no problems.

Kumo
2010-04-22, 02:36 PM
((Can i take 10/20 on the climb check to get her out? i don't trust my luck...))

Savannah
2010-04-23, 11:53 PM
Yes, you can take 10 on the check. You get Kara up safely, and all manage to climb out yourselves if you want to.

Atton is waiting up top and Kara immediately runs up to him and hugs him. He looks up at you: "You got her! You're amazing! Da couldn't get up here,* but he said if you want to come down to the house, he'll give you a reward for rescuing Kara."

*If you've been in the village for even a short while, you know that the mayor is missing a leg.

Turk Mannion
2010-04-24, 12:02 AM
Jess responded with a warm smile, "That is very kind of you, but a reunited family is more than enough reward."

Strawberries
2010-04-24, 08:48 AM
Priya, who had climbed out just after Kara, shakes her head as well. "Tell your dad..." she starts, then "Actually, maybe it's for the best if we go with you all the same - just to make sure you don't get in any more troubles." she looks at the other seeking for confirmation.

Kumo
2010-04-24, 09:22 AM
Jorkan chuckled. Enough talking, let's get home. He said cheerfully.

Derjuin
2010-04-24, 11:42 AM
Miralynn climbs up last and, after hearing Priya's suggestion, nods in agreement. She places her crossbow in its strap and pulls out a harp.

Savannah
2010-04-24, 02:31 PM
Anyone who was bitten by the centipede make another Fortitude save.

Assuming that Telim doesn't have any objections to taking Kara home:

Atton leads you to the mayor's house. When you reach the door, an elderly gnome woman comes running out: "Kara! You're safe! Your father is in his office, why don't you go and see him and then I'll get you a nice bath and some bandages." The gnome turns to you as Kara scampers off, "Thank you so much for getting her! I'm Ellywik, Mayor Gilmer's housekeeper. If you would follow me, please?"

When you reach the mayor's office, Kara is sitting in his lap, giving an animated retelling of your fight against the centipedes. After she finishes, Ellywik takes her out of the room to get her cleaned up.

The mayor addresses you, "I cannot thank you enough for what you have done. I was so afraid that she would encounter that monster that's been attacking the farmers before she could be rescued. Although, from what she told me, she found some other monsters entirely. Please, take these," he hands you each a leather pouch, "and if you have need of healing I will summon one of the priests. You are welcome to stay in the spare bedroom if you need a place to stay and join us for dinner if you want. Is there anything else I can do for you?"

Dada
2010-04-24, 05:16 PM
Relieved that the family has been reunited, Talim smiles warmly and bows slightly. "Thank you very much for your hospitality and generosity, Mayor. I am just happy, that we arrived in time to avoid a tragedy."

Recalling the events in the cavern, Telim decides to add: "Or perhaps I shouldn't speak for the group. After all, the actions of my friends were far more instrumental in saving your girl, than anything I managed to accomplish myself. I regret that I have but done so little to deserve this reward. You must not hesitate to tell me if I can be of further assistance."

He then addresses the party: "Perhaps we ought to go back to the cave tomorrow, to make sure that it doesn't hide any other nasty surprises."

Savannah
2010-04-26, 02:46 PM
"I take it you will be staying the night then?"

Kumo
2010-04-26, 03:37 PM
Jorkan shook his head. That is not neccesary, Mayor. Gratitude is enough - for me anyway, i cannot speak for the group.

Turk Mannion
2010-04-26, 11:21 PM
He then addresses the party: "Perhaps we ought to go back to the cave tomorrow, to make sure that it doesn't hide any other nasty surprises."

"I gave it a pretty good look before we left, but it can not hurt to search a bit more. However, I am a bit more curious about this monster that the mayor just mentioned." Turning back to him and not wishing to discuss anything too scary in front of his daughter, he raised his eyebrows and said, "Perhaps that is something we might discuss later this evening?"

Strawberries
2010-04-27, 12:46 AM
Priya nods, waiving away the offer of a reward as well. "I'd be interested in hearing more. After dinner, perhaps?"

Savannah
2010-04-27, 12:53 AM
Kara has already left the room, so the mayor is willing to talk about it.

"I'm not sure exactly what the monster is; the reports I've gotten have been rather limited. It is usually described as a wolf-like creature with a skeletal head. It prefers to prey on humans, unfortunately, so we just put out a reward for killing it as so far no one has been able to find it. The children weren't supposed to be out today, given the situation, but apparently they managed to sneak past Elly."

Derjuin
2010-04-28, 07:22 PM
"That sounds like quite a scary beast..." Miralynn says, furrowing her brow. "Do you perhaps have any more information on it? Or, do you know of anyone that does know more?" She says, trailing off as she lists various aspects of it: size, sounds, how it leaves its victims...

Savannah
2010-04-28, 09:05 PM
"Unfortunately, I do not know much more. It's probably the size of a wolf, and it seems to be attempting to hunt and eat humaniods, but other than that, I don't know."

Turk Mannion
2010-04-28, 11:09 PM
"By its methods, would it seem to be intelligent in some way or simply a wild animal of some sort?"

Savannah
2010-04-28, 11:19 PM
"It seems to be little more than an animal, although it is quite cunning when it comes to evading capture."

Dada
2010-04-30, 03:48 PM
Telim confirmed that he would be staying overnight, when the mayor asked.

Now, upon hearing of the monster, he frowns slightly. "Is there any pattern in the attacks? Does it strike during the night or the day?"

Savannah
2010-04-30, 03:51 PM
"The attacks that I know of have all taken place mornings or evenings."

Dada
2010-04-30, 04:35 PM
"Hmm, this is most distressing. Perhaps we should investigate some more? I don't really know where to start though. Maybe we should ask around abit?"

OOC:

What time is it currently?

Savannah
2010-05-01, 03:55 AM
Midafternoon. You've got about 3 hours until dinner.

Dada
2010-05-01, 02:57 PM
Telim stopped for a moment. He had never been good at gathering news and rumors.

"Miralynn, perhaps you would like to assist me in finding out more about this.. thing? I think you are better at this stuff than I am myself."

Strawberries
2010-05-02, 09:59 AM
Pryia shifts a bit on her feet, looking thoughtful. "I would be interested in lending a hand as well" she says "I wouldn't know where to ask, but I'm decently skilled at following tracks....if we do find tracks to follow

Dada
2010-05-02, 10:07 AM
"Well, I guess we could leave the questions to those who know how to ask, and go look for something more.. direct, I guess." He then decides to add: "Not that I am much good at tracking either."

He then adresses the mayor: "Do you know where and when the creature was last seen? Or where it comes from?"

Kumo
2010-05-02, 10:09 AM
Jorkan sat on the ground and sighed, elbow on his knee and hand on his chin, looking bored. Well, I could just go looking for it in street clothes and shout 'here ugly ugly ugly' until it attacks me.

Strawberries
2010-05-02, 10:21 AM
"I bet you would too, you crazy goblin" listening very carefully, you could even hear a small hint of fondness in Pryia's voice. The goblin was indeed crazy, but seemed to be a decent sort "But that wouldn't be very helpful, I'm afraid"

Savannah
2010-05-02, 01:04 PM
So what are you guys going to actually do?

Dada
2010-05-02, 02:24 PM
It seems like Priya, Jorkan and Telim will be heading out to wherever the monster was last seen, to try and do some tracking.

Turk Mannion
2010-05-02, 09:35 PM
Turk follows, willing to do what he can to help out.

Derjuin
2010-05-02, 09:37 PM
"I'll check with the townsfolk to see if anyone knows a bit more, or might be able to point us in a more defined direction." Miralynn says. She tilts her head to the side for a second, then follows it up by asking the Mayor, "Is there anyone in town that you know of that would know more about this beast?"

Savannah
2010-05-02, 10:03 PM
"Probably not; everyone usually brings me their problems."

Derjuin
2010-05-02, 10:06 PM
Miralynn snaps her fingers, somewhat dismayed. "Drat; I guess I'll go with the others to try to track the thing."

Savannah
2010-05-03, 12:37 AM
The mayor directs you to a local farm where one of the farmhands reported spotting the creature.

The farmhand is happy to chat, and explains that he was out feeding the pigs after dark two nights ago when he felt like he was being watched. When he started to investigate, he saw a large wolf-like creature, and he immediately backed away and went to his house. He heard something prowling around for a couple of hours, but hasn't seen or heard anything since.

He points you towards where he spotted the creature.

Dada
2010-05-03, 10:30 AM
Telim thanks the farmhand for his help, then starts looking around for anything out of the ordinary.

[roll0]

Strawberries
2010-05-03, 12:57 PM
Pryia joins him in the search, carefully looking around

[roll0]

Savannah
2010-05-04, 04:03 PM
Pryia finds some large tracks, although she's not sure what type of animal they are from. Based on the location and approximate shape, she suspects that they are the tracks you are looking for.

Turk Mannion
2010-05-04, 10:40 PM
"Well, finding this thing may be the easiest part....dealing with it is another story. Careful everyone."

Saying that, Jess looks around to make sure everyone is ready, his own weapon in hand.

Dada
2010-05-05, 03:49 PM
"Yeah, we'd better be careful. But lets at least see if we can track it down before darkness falls." Telim draws his weapon too, and waits for Priya to lead the way.

OOC:

I'm fine with waiting for her to come back from her trip.

Derjuin
2010-05-05, 07:39 PM
Miralynn follows the others to the farmstead, and upon hearing that tracks are found, she draws her crossbow and remembers to load it with a bolt.

Kumo
2010-05-05, 08:27 PM
Jorkan drew his blade and stands next to Priya, keeping his eyes and ears open for an enemy of any sort.

Spot
[roll0]
Listen
[roll1]

Savannah
2010-05-05, 09:52 PM
Priya examines the tracks. Survival [roll0]

She concludes that they are heading back into the hills. She can follow them, if you want to.

Dada
2010-05-06, 08:31 AM
It seems like we're all fine with following the tracks.

Savannah
2010-05-06, 12:52 PM
The tracks lead back into the hills where you found Kara. Eventually, they lead to a cave mouth in the hillside. You are pretty sure that this is the same hill that Kara had fallen into.

It took you long enough to follow the tracks that you should head back now if you still want to take the mayor up on his offer of dinner. Do you want to go back or go into the cave?

Dada
2010-05-06, 12:54 PM
Would it be difficult to locate the cave again at a later time, with no tracks to follow?

Savannah
2010-05-06, 01:11 PM
No, you have a pretty good idea of where it is.

Dada
2010-05-06, 01:13 PM
"It seems darkness is falling, my friends. I suggest that we return to the Mayour and report our findings. We can return here tomorrow. Oh, and nice job Priya."

Derjuin
2010-05-06, 01:40 PM
Miralynn nods, showing her agreement. A second later, her belly also shows its agreement with a small rumble. "I think we ought to take him up on his offer to dinner," she says with a smile.

Turk Mannion
2010-05-06, 11:28 PM
"I would agree that we keep the dinner appointment. I hate to waste any good will we have created. And, if the information is accurate, the creature comes out at night, which might give us a chance to observe it later."

Strawberries
2010-05-07, 01:24 PM
"I hope "observe" isn't your polite way to say "be eaten"" Pryia says "But I agree, dinner wouldn't go amiss"

I'm back, everyone :smallsmile:

Dada
2010-05-08, 06:01 AM
"Well, I intend on having dinner, not becoming it."

It seems like we're all heading back.

OOC:

Welcombe back!

Savannah
2010-05-08, 02:11 PM
You head back to the house, where Elly greets you at the door and "suggests" that you make use of the mayor's bathhouse before dinner.

After you are cleaned up, you make your way to the dining room, where the mayor and Kara are already seated at a long table. Shortly after your arrival, Elly and Atton appear, carrying serving dishes. After they have served everyone, they both join you at the table.

Dinner consists of roasted venison and potatoes, ale or cider, and apple pie with cream. Elly is an excellent cook.

Turk Mannion
2010-05-08, 04:46 PM
Jess ate his fill and contentedly pushed himself back from the table.

"It has been far too long since I had a home-cooked meal.....almost makes me feel like I am back with my family. Thank you for your generousity and for inviting us into your home."

Derjuin
2010-05-10, 12:14 AM
Miralynn sniffs the air at the table, then tries a bit of everything on her plate. "This is delicious!" she says, pointing to the collection of food before eating her portion (and a little bit more). Afterwards she pushes her plate back. "Thank you very much for the meal, it was wonderful." She says with a smile.

Dada
2010-05-11, 05:34 AM
As they finish the delicious meal, Telim is all business, and reports their findings to the mayor. "We found tracks, likely from the monster, leading to a cave in the samme hill that your daughter was caught in." He ponders the situation for a moment, then adresses the rest of the party: "While a good rest would be nice, I think we ought to go back to the cave, and maybe set up a trap of some sort. How does that sound to you?"

Derjuin
2010-05-12, 07:17 PM
Miralynn nods, and adds "That sounds like a good idea to me. The sooner we can catch or kill it, the better for everyone."

Savannah
2010-05-13, 09:34 PM
"If you are able to destroy this creature, that would be wonderful."

Unless you want to do anything more with dinner, you spend a restful night in a nice bed and have a good breakfast in the morning. Now what?

Kumo
2010-05-13, 09:58 PM
Jorkan yawned as he strapped his blade to his back and locked it in place. He turned to look at the others around him. Shall we go?

Dada
2010-05-14, 10:04 AM
"Yes, lets have a look at that cave, shall we?"

Strawberries
2010-05-14, 10:42 AM
Pryia nods wordlessly, adjusting her weapons and checking that her quiver is well stocked with arrows "I'm ready."

Savannah
2010-05-15, 02:32 AM
You head back to the cave mouth where you found the tracks yesterday.

Priya and Telim:
As you approach the cave mouth from the side, you think you can hear something moving inside.

Do you want to do anything before heading in?

DM
Priya: L [roll0]
Miralynn: L [roll1]
Jorkan: L [roll2]
Jess: L [roll3]
Telim: L [roll4]

Dada
2010-05-15, 03:55 AM
Telim quietly raises his hand. "Ssh, I think I hear something inside. We'd better be prepared." he whispers. He then draws his trusty mace, and continues forward.

Strawberries
2010-05-15, 11:59 AM
Pryia nods, unslinging her bow "I hear something, too." she says curtly. "Be ready"

Derjuin
2010-05-15, 12:27 PM
Miralynn reaches for her crossbow, and remembers - again - to load it with a bolt before following. She tries her best to keep quiet, not wanting to alert the thing to the group's presence.

Kumo
2010-05-15, 12:29 PM
Jorkan drew his blade and calmly followed his allies, holding it in one hand.

Turk Mannion
2010-05-15, 05:20 PM
Jess draws his rapier at the other's warning, and quietly slips to the side of the group, looking for a place to slide out of sight or into the shadows.

Move Silently [roll0]
Hide [roll1]

Use as applicable, when he can find an appropriate spot, as soon as possible.

Savannah
2010-05-15, 06:18 PM
You're approaching from the side, and you can get a peak in (hopefully) before whatever is inside can see you. Anyone who wants to try, roll hide and move silently and then spot.

(Jess has already done the hide and move silently, so you just need spot if you want to try to peak in.)

DMK: S- [roll0] L- [roll1]

Strawberries
2010-05-16, 01:02 AM
Pryia tries to move without making any noise, simultaneously trying to get a look to whatever is inside the cave. She keeps her bow and an arrow at the ready.

[roll0] [roll1] [roll2]

Dada
2010-05-16, 07:21 AM
Telim is satisfied with leaving the scouting to the more sneaky members of the party. He stands guard, expecting the.. thing.. to make a move at any point.

Savannah
2010-05-16, 12:29 PM
Anyone else want to try for a look before I post the results?

Derjuin
2010-05-16, 12:33 PM
Miralynn tries her best to creep up closer, to get a peek. Not wanting to alert the thing, she moves as quietly as possible, keeping to the shadows if at all possible.

Move Silently [roll0]
Hide [roll1]
Spot [roll2]

Turk Mannion
2010-05-17, 10:52 PM
Remaining in the shadows, Jess chanced a quick peek around the wall.

Spot:[roll0]

Savannah
2010-05-17, 11:02 PM
Jess and Miralynn aren't able to get a good look, but Priya is more lucky. She sees the following:

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/5056/exitcavernsmall.png
"K" is a shaggy creature that looks like a cross between a wolf and a hyena, with a spotted coat and a bristling mane running down its spine. It is currently lying down and munching on a large, meaty bone.

As you peak in, it looks up from the bone and sniffs the air.

Strawberries
2010-05-18, 12:39 PM
Pryia retreats quickly, so as to avoid to be noticed Did you see it? she whispers to the others, then elaborates for Telim's benefit " It's a large cave. I could see only one creature, but I can't recognize what it is."

Dada
2010-05-20, 10:33 AM
"Do you think it's the one we're looking for?" Telim responds excitedly. "Is everyone ready to head in?"

Strawberries
2010-05-20, 12:53 PM
Oh, damn, I thought I said what and where the creature was, but I probably changed some wording and lost it. My apologies :smallredface:.

Pryia nods "Might very well be. It looked like a sort of wolf...well,a cross between that and a hyena, I suppose. It was on the right, gnawing on something. "

Savannah
2010-05-21, 09:33 PM
Are you all going to go into the cave?

Strawberries
2010-05-24, 12:59 AM
Without another word, Pryia advances to the entrance of the cave, her bow trained on the spost where she last saw the creature

Let's say I move to D8, if I can

Derjuin
2010-05-24, 01:06 AM
Miralynn enters the cave behind Priya, though she leaves a little room for a fighty-type to squeeze by. She tries peeking around again, her curiosity getting the better of her for a moment, while remaining as silent as she can be.

Move silently: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]

Savannah
2010-05-24, 02:05 AM
Everyone:http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/5056/exitcavernsmall.png
"K" is a shaggy creature that looks like a cross between a wolf and a hyena, with a spotted coat and a bristling mane running down its spine. It is currently lying down but sniffing the air suspiciously, a large, meaty bone forgotten between its front paws.

As you enter the cave, it springs to its feet with a snarl. Initiative: [roll0]

Remember that you have to move at 1/2 speed in the cave, due to the rough floor.

Dada
2010-05-24, 06:59 AM
Telim clenches his teeth as he moves forward with mace and shield ready.

[roll0]

Do I enter the cave before we switch to rounds? If yes, I'll move to E7 if possible - else, I'll wait for my turn.

Savannah
2010-05-24, 11:12 AM
Given that it needs a chance to jump up, I'll let you get to wherever you want in the cave (within reason!) before we switch to rounds.

Derjuin
2010-05-24, 11:33 AM
Initiative - [roll0]

Miralynn keeps her crossbow handy and moves into the cave, keeping to the wall near the entrance. (I'll move to C8)

Savannah
2010-05-24, 11:39 AM
Current initiative order:
{table]Miralynn|20a
Telim|20b
Monster|13
Pryia|12
Jorkan|2
Jess|[/table]

Strawberries
2010-05-24, 11:55 AM
Guess it's better I roll for initiative as well

[roll0]

Kumo
2010-05-25, 05:22 PM
[roll0]

Jorkan snarls and readies his weapon (he already had it in his hand.) Trouble.

Savannah
2010-05-25, 10:30 PM
I've PMed Turk Mannion, since he hasn't posted here in a while, but I don't see any point in waiting for him to turn up, so Jess will sit this battle out unless Turk shows up soon.

You can start your turn in D7, E7, F7, D8, E8, or F8. Miralynn is first.

Turk Mannion
2010-05-25, 11:11 PM
Jess shook his head and realized he had been daydreaming about his family. With an angry scowl, more at himself than at the creature, he pushed as far back toward the wall as he could and readied himself for battle.

Sorry about the delay, work and home just smacked me around for a few days.

You can put me at the bottom of the initiative order. I will start in D8 since I had been trying to hide in the shadows.

Savannah
2010-05-28, 07:01 PM
Miralynn has appearantly already moved to C8 (failed my Spot check there), so that makes it Telim's turn.

Dada
2010-05-28, 07:18 PM
Standing in E7, Telim spends a move action to put his mace away. He then spends his standard action to cast Shield of Faith on himself (+2 ac for one minute).

"Like I protect others, so too shall The Shining One protect me!"

Savannah
2010-05-28, 08:13 PM
The creature snarls again and its skin seems to peel back from its face, exposing the bone and muscle beneath! It gives an unearthly shriek, and heads towards Telim, stopping in E6.

Everyone make a Will save.
13+: You are shaken by the creature's shriek for 1 round (-2 attack, saves, and checks).
<13: You are frightened of the creature and flee (on your turn) for 3 rounds.

Pryia is next.

Current positions
Miralynn - C8
Telim - E7
Monster - E6

Dada
2010-05-29, 04:01 AM
Telim gasps as the creature transforms and shows its true nature.

[roll0]

Strawberries
2010-05-29, 04:31 AM
Will save [roll0] Edit:figures....

Pryia tries to draw her bow, but the creature's sudden trasformation is too much for her to bear. She takes a couple of steps back, before turning completely and running.

I can't specify a direction or a destination, can I?

Derjuin
2010-05-29, 10:21 AM
Will Save:

[roll0]

Savannah
2010-05-29, 01:45 PM
Strawberries, you can't really specify direction as your main goal is 'away', but you do try to avoid other dangers. (Where were you wanting to run?)

Jorkan is next.

Turk Mannion
2010-05-30, 12:05 AM
Reaction will take place on my turn

Will save:[roll0]

Strawberries
2010-05-31, 01:46 PM
OOC

@ Savannah: I guess I don't have many options, as the only "away" path is outside the cave (to venture inside means to go nearer the creature). Could I stop just outside the entrance, in a place I consider "safe"?

Savannah
2010-05-31, 02:27 PM
It's been plenty of time, so I'm going to roll Jorkan's will save; if he passes he will delay until Kumo shows up. [roll0]

Jess' turn.

Strawberries:No, you can't stop running, sorry. (It might be behind you! :smalleek: Run!)

Kumo
2010-05-31, 04:20 PM
Jorkan snarls as the creature and charges angrily. He can feel fear prickling at his insides, but that was what being a warrior was about anyway.

((He can't reach it in one turn))

Savannah
2010-05-31, 04:59 PM
The creature has moved to E6, so you should be able to make it easily.

Jess can also act.

Turk Mannion
2010-06-01, 11:13 PM
A sudden terror took hold of Jess, a feeling he had not experienced in combat, much less in life, in over thirty years. All rational thought fled his brain, all intentions of protecting his young companions were instantly forgotten, as he turned and weaved through the others, fleeing with all his speed.

Move directly out of the cave, 120' (run speed). Sorry guys, looks like Jess is sitting this one out for a while. :smalleek:

Savannah
2010-06-01, 11:27 PM
End of round 1 locations:
{table]Miralynn| C8
Telim| E7
Monster| E6
Pryia| fleeing (2 rounds remaining)
Jorkan| D7
Jess| fleeing (2 rounds remaining)[/table]

Miralynn is up! (You'll need to move if you want to shoot.)

Derjuin
2010-06-05, 08:39 AM
Meep, it's still the same day isn't it...

Miralynn moves to her left to avoid shooting her friend, and takes aim at the creature with her crossbow.

Attack with crossbow:

BLaH, can't roll in edits...

Derjuin
2010-06-05, 08:43 AM
((Apologies for double post...))

Attack with crossbow:

[roll0]
[roll1]

Savannah
2010-06-05, 12:40 PM
The bolt flies past the creature, barely grazing it.

Telim is up.

Dada
2010-06-05, 01:35 PM
"Unholy abomination, you shall take never take a life again!"

Telim grabs his mace and takes a swing at the creature.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Savannah
2010-06-05, 01:56 PM
Telim's swing goes wide. The creature snarls and bites at him:
Attack: [roll0]

Pryia is still running.

Jorkan's turn.

Savannah
2010-06-09, 11:55 AM
I don't know where Kumo is; I've seen him on other threads, but he's not here :smallconfused:

Jorkan swings at the creature with both blades.

Attack: [roll0] for [roll1]
Attack: [roll2] for [roll3]

Jess is still running.

End of round 2 locations:
{table]Miralynn| C6
Telim | E7
Monster | E6
Pryia | fleeing (1 round remaining)
Cevian | ?
Jorkan | D7
Jess | fleeing (1 round remaining)[/table]

DMhp 6

Miralynn's turn!

NegativeFifteen
2010-06-14, 02:29 PM

Savannah
2010-06-14, 11:31 PM
I'm rolling for Miralynn, as it has been quite a while since her turn came up:
Shooting at the creature: [roll0] for [roll1]

Telim's turn.

Dada
2010-06-15, 12:05 PM
Seeing the attacks of his comrades hit their mark, Telim takes another swing at the beast.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Dada
2010-06-15, 12:07 PM
Telim once again proves that good intentions does not a hero make. His swings with so much force that he loses the control and aim.

Confirming crit. fail:
[roll0]

NegativeFifteen
2010-06-15, 05:50 PM
Cevian moves to D8 to start off, having just entered the cave. (Sorry for not clarifying)

Savannah
2010-06-17, 12:09 AM
Telim fumbles his weapon, nearly dropping it.

The creature attacks Jorkan furiously, biting and clawing.
Bite: [roll0] for [roll1]
Claws: [roll2] for [roll3] and [roll4] for [roll5]

Pryia is still fleeing.

Cevian - you have been searching for a sign of the monster when you hear the unmistakable sound of fighting from ahead.

Everyone else - as you fight, you notice an elf in robes entering the cave, looking like he has been running recently.

NegativeFifteen, you are in C8 and can act.

NegativeFifteen
2010-06-17, 05:20 PM
'That's enough.'

Cevian moves to C7 and casts magic missile at the creature.

[roll0]

Savannah
2010-06-17, 09:04 PM
Nice! The newcomer's missile hits the creature in the face, and it slumps over, clearly dead.

Both Pryia and Jess feel their fear leave them, and quickly return to the cave.

XP: 60 each

Strawberries
2010-06-20, 02:19 AM
Priya stops in her tracks, shaking her head as if to clear it, before heading back to the cave, where she takes a moment to look at the scene "I'm not sure what happened. It seemed - " and then, as she notices the newcomer "Hello, friend." she says, a bit hesitant.

I didn't see your last edit....sorry!

Savannah
2010-06-20, 01:06 PM
Jorkan looks around the group. "Well, this has been fun," he says, holding his wounded side, "but I think its time I struck out on my own. Farewell." He heads back towards town.

Sorry, I was debating whether to edit that in or doublepost.

Dada
2010-06-22, 08:37 AM
Telim turns to the newcomer. "Thank you for your assistance, stranger. I am Telim, a cleric of the Shining One. How may I address you?"

Yay, first exp. Also, sorry, been busy with IRL. Finals and stuff.

NegativeFifteen
2010-06-22, 11:24 AM
After pausing to catch his breath, Cevian turns to address the others in the cave. 'I am Cevian Amakiir, practitioner of the arcane arts. is everyone alright?'

Savannah
2010-06-22, 12:28 PM
Yay, first exp.

Err...did I forget to give you XP for the centipedes?

Dada
2010-06-22, 01:15 PM
"I think everyone except for Jorkan are all right, if a little shaken by the appearance of this.. thing.. He looks towards the leaving goblin: "As for Jorkan, he seemed to be doing okay even though was wounded. We'd better make sure he gets treatment though."

Err...did I forget to give you XP for the centipedes?
Either that, or I missed you giving it out. *goes back to check*

Edit: Nope, I don't see any exp for the centipedes.

Savannah
2010-06-22, 01:41 PM
I can't find it...in either thread. Check the OOC. :smallwink:

Strawberries
2010-06-22, 02:57 PM
Pryia nods. "I'm sorry for having left you like I did" she says "I don't know what came over me. I'm Pryia, I helped the other following the tracks here, then that thing changed and I lost my mind.". Then, taking a couple of steps in the directon of the dead creature, with a certain reluctancd "What was that thing, by the way?" she asks, half to herself and half to the others, bending to examinate it.

Savannah
2010-06-23, 12:40 PM
I realized I didn't make this clear earlier: both Jess and Pryia get XP from the monster. Just in case there was any confusion.

What are you going to do now? (I've PMed our two players who haven't responded yet.)

Strawberries
2010-06-23, 03:23 PM
OOC

Priya was going to examinate the creature (I should probably have rolled a spot check - doing it now [roll0]) and I was hoping in some character interation. After that, and barring big discoveries...back to the major?

Dada
2010-06-24, 05:05 AM
"Don't worry about it Priya, Pelor knows that I was close to turning my tail too. I guess we'd better return to the Mayor and report our success. Maybe we should bring this thing back, for further examination?"

He approaches the dead creature, to see if he recognizes it

Roll, if appropriate:

[roll0]
[roll1]

Strawberries
2010-06-24, 08:07 AM
Pryia crouches down as well, helping Telim with the examination "That would probably be wise. Do you recognize it at all?"

How could I miss that the roll didn't show? :smalleek: Re-rolling [roll0]
[roll1]

Savannah
2010-06-24, 12:15 PM
Sadly, neither of you are able to identify it. It appears to be a normal animal - aside from being able to pull the skin off its face.

Looking around, Pryia spots a nest in the back of the cave, presumably from the creature.

Strawberries
2010-06-24, 12:57 PM
"I've never seen anything like it, we should probably bring it to someone who could identify it" Priya says, mentally berating herself. She takes pride on her knowledge of the wilderness, how is it that she can't tell what the creature is? "But there seems to be its nest over there" she adds, moving closer to examinate it, keeping her rapier handy just in case.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Dada
2010-06-25, 05:29 AM
"I do not know this beast either. For some reason, the thought of bringing it back creeps me out, though. Let's hope we get no further surprises from this thing."

He follows Priya to the nest, when she spots it, mace drawn in case the beast wasn't alone.

OOC:

Leaving for Roskilde Festival tomorrow, so I won't be able to post reliably (if at all) until June 5th. Feel free to play Telim, Savannah.

Savannah
2010-06-25, 12:09 PM
The nest does not contain any other creatures, but it does contain what looks suspiciously like human remains. Searching through them reveals [roll0] silver pieces in various pouches and pockets.

Sheesh, do I need to recruit even more replacements?

Have fun at the festival and thanks for the heads-up!

Edit: those two statements are unrelated. Just realized it could look like I'm trying to replace you, but that's not the case :smallwink:

NegativeFifteen
2010-06-25, 06:32 PM
Cevian approaches the nest cautiously, eyes widening at what he sees.

'I knew this beast had been a terror here, but I was incorrect in my analysis of how much damage it had caused!'

Strawberries
2010-06-26, 09:12 AM
Priya takes the money with the intention of splitting them later, and then looks at Cevian curiously: "Do you know something more about that beast?" she ask. Then, bending down to try to pick the carcass up "I cn carry it, if it's not too heavy"

If needed [roll0]

NegativeFifteen
2010-06-26, 01:13 PM
'I know little about this creature apart from rumors, and those could have been easily made up. There is likely an expert who could identify it for us back in town.'

Savannah
2010-06-26, 03:22 PM
Pryia can carry the beast.

NegativeFifteen, roll any knowledge checks you have ranks in if you want to see if you can identify the creature.

NegativeFifteen
2010-06-26, 05:33 PM
Knowledge (arcana)- [roll0]
Search- [roll1]

Savannah
2010-06-26, 05:53 PM
Cevian:
The creature is called a krenshar. It is able to peel the skin back from its face, which it combines with a shriek to frighten its foes. Beyond that, you don't know much about it.

NegativeFifteen
2010-06-26, 08:46 PM
Upon closer examination, Cevian's eyes light up, something coming to him.

'I believe it is called a krenshar. I know little about them, but I believe I read about it in my studies.'

Cevian shuts his eyes trying to remember his readings.

'All I remember is how it peels back its skin to intimidate foes. I know little else.'

Strawberries
2010-06-27, 04:41 AM
Priya picks up the creature with a certain distaste. She is used to carry carcasses, but she still feels a lingering discomfort in being near the creature. She nods in acknowledgement at Cevian's words "Maybe someone in town will know more about it" she says "We should head back, unless you think of something I'm missing". She gives one last look to the cave.

I just realized maybe I made a mistake. I was operating under the assumption the cave was just one big empty space, but looking again at the map, I see there is maybe a tunnel in A1. In that case, Priya would want to take another look.

In any case [roll0] to give a better look at the cave .

Savannah
2010-06-27, 12:06 PM
There is indeed a tunnel leading out at A1. You suspect it's the same cave system you were in before, when you were looking for Kara, based on its location.

Strawberries
2010-06-27, 04:11 PM
Priya was turning to go, but then stops, looking towards the north-west side of the cave
"That entrance, there" she says, pointing "I had almost missed it. I think it might lead to the same caves we were in before. Do you think it might be worth taking a look? "

NegativeFifteen
2010-06-27, 06:52 PM
After a brief period of thought, Cevian looks towards the tunnels, then turns back to Priya.

'I believe you would be the best judge of that. You say you were in the caves earlier, was there anything in them that would be worth investigating?'

Strawberries
2010-06-28, 12:55 AM
"There was a system of caves...we didn't check it out very thoroughly, we were saving a child at that moment" Pryia answers "There was some worked stone corridor...might be worth a look" she cautiosly puts the carcass on the floor "Anybody else want to come?"