PDA

View Full Version : [3.5/PF] Shield Specialization/Focus and Block Arrow

EpicEvokerElf
2010-04-04, 06:31 PM
I've been looking at shield-related feats lately, and I spotted one in Complete Warrior that struck me as odd in one respect: Block Arrow. This feat, which essentially functions as Deflect Arrows (but with your shield, and with different requirements), is rather nice, but not quite worth a feat (at least, for a non-fighter). Likewise, Shield Specialization (or Shield Focus in PF, +1 to AC bonus from one shield type) is handy, especially as a prerequisite for Shield Ward (shield bonus to touch AC when not flat-footed), but not amazing.

Would it be unreasonable to grant the benefits of Block Arrow as part of Shield Specialization (or of Shield Ward, for flavor synchronization) when wielding your chosen shield type?

Harperfan7
2010-04-05, 12:02 AM
No.

Many feats shouldn't be feats.

Eloel
2010-04-05, 12:42 AM
No.

Many feats shouldn't be feats.

This. Power Attack, Combat Expertise, 'Reckless Offense', Weapon Finesse, Block Arrow/Deflect Arrow. They should be options, not feats.

Fizban
2010-04-05, 03:49 AM
Shield Ward is a good feat, Shield Block is a good feat, Shield Specialization is a bad feat. If don't think Shield block has any feat prerequisites, so make it the new prerequisite for Shield Ward. Done and done.

EpicEvokerElf
2010-04-05, 12:36 PM
Options? So if you're wielding a shield, you should automatically have the option to deflect the first (mundane) ranged attack that hits you every round? That seems a bit much - every wizard will have a darkwood buckler in his offhand to block arrows. And some of the feats you mentioned (ie. Combat Expertise) are options - in this case, fighting defensively. The feat just gives you a more favorable ratio (although it ought to be better, for something that takes a feat; perhaps make it -1 attack to +2 AC).

On the original topic, I do like the +1 AC from Shield Spec., which is why I want to tack Block Arrow onto it rather than cut it. I'm glad I'm not the only one to whom this seems entirely reasonable.