PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] The most slams?

Flickerdart
2010-04-04, 06:36 PM
The Gravewight (Standing Stones) template is the easiest way to give a monster the energy drain ability, costing only +1 CR and adding on a whole bunch of goodies such as a fear aura to a Humanoid, Monstrous Humanoid or Giant of your choice. It gives a slam attack, and its slam attacks deal negative levels. However, unlike the standard Vampire template, there is no restriction listed for how many times per turn this is done, it merely says that "Living creatures hit by a gravewight’s slam attack receive one negative level." The template grants a single slam attack if the creature did not already have one.
Now imagine this template sitting on something that can do two slams per round. Or four. Or six. Scanning the MM, I can only find multiple slams on Giants, Constructs (which can be Awakened into Giants) Outsiders and Plants (which are not eligible). All of these have only two slams. This is not very exciting, as we're merely doubling the level drain.
I imagine there's some splat-monster with a bag of slams, though, and probably a chakra bind that gives you a handful. How high can we get this sucker?

AslanCross
2010-04-04, 06:44 PM
The Geriviar (MM3) is a giant with eight slams. It's CR 19, though.

Last Laugh
2010-04-04, 06:55 PM
On a different note:
Lets say
Gravewright Dragonborn monster with slam
Warblade 1/Spirit Lion Barb1/whatever x/ Kensai 4 (aptitude and speed)
Pick up Rapid strike/Improved Rapidstrike
And lightning mace + Improved critical

I have very little experience with Tome of Battle or how these feats are usually utilized, consider this a skeleton
If you can find a monster with 4 slams pick up Rapidstrike again

deuxhero
2010-04-04, 07:13 PM
Warforged have one at LA+0

Last Laugh
2010-04-04, 09:07 PM
Warforged only have a single slam tho, if you can pick up another you qualify for rapid strike...
Lhosk from MMIV has +3 LA and 8 RHD, making it grave...thingy gives you 8 levels to toy with. (also comes with a tasty bite attack)
If you alter it's feats you can start off with
Warblade 1/Spirit totem barb1/Fighter 2/Kensai 4
1-Weapon focus (slam)
B-Two weapon fighting
B-Combat expertise
3-Lightning mace
6-Rapid strike
9-INA(slam)
12-Improved Critical (slam)
15-Improved Rapid Strike
18-Improved ini/multiattack/whathave you
This is very rough, I'm not a good optimizer. consider this a skeleton.
Aptitude slams of Speed, pounce, and on every threat you get another slam
giving you a base of
3 slams + 4 slams (rapid strike) +3 slams (speed) :11 slams total on a charge/full attack
Every Crit gives you another slam
You also have 2 bite attacks, all of your natural attacks can be enhanced by Greater Mighty Wallop

Keld Denar
2010-04-04, 09:19 PM
Warforged are Living Constructs. When a "construct" is large size or larger, it gains an extra slam attack. Would a 'forged who was large gain a 2nd slam? Could you then (Improved) Rapid Strike for 4+ slams?

Last Laugh
2010-04-04, 09:21 PM
costing only +1 CR and adding on a whole bunch of goodies such as a fear aura to a Humanoid, Monstrous Humanoid or Giant of your choice. It gives a slam attack, and its slam attacks deal negative levels.
I do not have this book, but if this is correct than warforged do not qualify.

deuxhero
2010-04-04, 10:04 PM
That's what Incarnate Construct is for. You even get a free +1 out of it (Or was the slam lost when making something an Incarnate Construct?)

Last Laugh
2010-04-05, 06:39 AM
That's what Incarnate Construct is for. You even get a free +1 out of it (Or was the slam lost when making something an Incarnate Construct?)

I don't know where that is either ^^ but if this is true then a gravewright warforged with the second slam feat and improved rapidstrike works nicely.

Amphetryon
2010-04-05, 07:14 AM
Make the Incarnate Construct Gravewight Warforged a Duskblade. Add Fell Drain and Arcane Strike. Laugh hysterically.

EDIT: From what I can tell, Rapidstrike has the following prerequisites: Dex 9, one or more pairs of natural weapons, aberration, dragon, elemental, magical beast, or plant type, base attack bonus +10. How are you qualifying at 6th, with a Warforged?

Last Laugh
2010-04-05, 12:14 PM
The order was screwed up. I was sorta rushed and messed up a lot in that, The Gravewright Lhosk doesn't even get the level 18 feat
Lhosk Warblade1/fighter2/kensai 4
Taking Rapidstrike at 12 HD and Improved Rapidstrike at 15 HD should work. (Lhosk are monstrous humanoids) at 16 HD you are ECL 20 (+3 lhosk, +1 Gravewright)
Initially you have 2 slams (Lhosk) +1 (gravewright) you get +4 from Improved Rapidstrike and +3 from the Speed Enhancement
8 Slams, 2 bite attacks. Slams threaten on a 19-20 and each crit gives you another slam.
16 BAB, Limited Maneuvers, Blood in the Water would be a good choice for a stance.

Glimbur
2010-04-05, 12:19 PM
You only get one extra attack from the Speed property, no matter how many Speed weapons you have. It's like Haste in that respect.

Eldariel
2010-04-05, 02:03 PM
Warforged have feat "Second Slam" that, as you might expect, gives them a Second Slam. In Races of Eberron. Combined with Rapid Strikes and such, it can lead to a decent number of Slams.

Last Laugh
2010-04-05, 04:54 PM
Thank you Glimbur, I knew that deep down.
Is second slam compatable with Rapid Strike? I got the impression that it let you use one slam twice in a round, not two slams once. (this is irrelevant because Gravewright gives another slam) Could someone post a potential warforged build?

nedz
2010-04-05, 06:59 PM
Does the Gravewight's level drain only apply to its slam attacks ?
Its not clear from your description if this is the case.
If the energy drain applies to all natural touch attacks, and the template just happens to also give a slam attack, then the field of options is somewhat wider.

Last Laugh
2010-04-05, 09:27 PM
Like Thri-keen sporting improved rapidstrike twice :D

true_shinken
2010-04-05, 10:04 PM
I do believe constructs, giants and humanoids do not qualify for Rapidstrike.

Flickerdart
2010-04-07, 10:35 PM
Does the Gravewight's level drain only apply to its slam attacks ?
Its not clear from your description if this is the case.
If the energy drain applies to all natural touch attacks, and the template just happens to also give a slam attack, then the field of options is somewhat wider.
Only slam attacks, which is why I'm trying to get more.

Rapidstrike won't work with this because you can't qualify for Gravewight and Rapidstrike at the same time, and Undead can't Rapidstrike anyway. So Lhosk (which is apparently MMIII) gets two slams. Gravewight doesn't add another one because it already has slams. Is there really nothing with more than two?