PDA

View Full Version : The Arcane Asylum [IC]

Jokes
2010-04-04, 08:17 PM
The towns rumbling clock struck midnight as you were all arrested for your respective crimes. An inquisitor pressed his rod against your chest, uttered something, and then... Darkness.

Where ever you are, it is dark as pitch and silent save for your own breath and beating heart. While all this is new to you, you can't help but feel that something is amiss here. There air seems thick and warm, odd for a cold winter night.

Ryltar (darkvision)

Your vision adjusts quickly to the sudden change. You are standing in a stone room, small, probably less than 10ft10ft. There are no windows, but a sturdy looking door at one end swings freely open on it's hinges.

The rest of you cannot see at all without some form of light source.

Shadow_Elf
2010-04-04, 10:30 PM
I am telling you, I am General Sandra Anastasia, veteran of the Border Wars and .... Eleanora blinks in the darkness, suddenly absent the company of the city officials. Hello? Where am I? The pragmatic bard reaches into her bag and procures one of her two Sun Rods, whacking it on her knee to ignite its magic. Bright light floods the area for 100 feet in every direction.

Maharrg
2010-04-05, 10:31 AM
Ryltar

"...I was enjoying that fire." Ryltar thinks to himself as he summons a dark could around him. Then he stealthy moves to the door and listens.

Phase of Moon
Cloud of Darkness: Burst 2

Stealth 1d20+9+2 1d20+9+2=16 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2467606/)
Perception: [roll0]

mackejn
2010-04-05, 12:18 PM
"HEY WHAT THE HELL IS YOUR...oh %#$"
Miseed waits a few moments and asks "So is anyone ELSE here or am I dead?"

Jokes
2010-04-06, 07:59 AM
@Eleanora-
The sunrod splutters for a few moments, then bursts to life, illuminating your cell. You are in a small room 10ft by 10ft, with no windows and a sturdy looking door at one end. You hear a garbled noise from somewhere nearby.

@Ryltar-
You move toward the door. As you exit, you notice something dark on the doorframe. You touch your hand to the spot, it feels sticky and warm. You are almost certain it is blood. You see a light eminating from a nearby cell and a feint noise coming from another.

@Miseed-
Your call is met with total silence.

mackejn
2010-04-06, 10:40 AM
"Well, guess I better figure out where I am then." Miseed takes out one of his sunrods and proceeds to light it and take careful stock of his surroundings.

Shadow_Elf
2010-04-06, 03:46 PM
Perfect. Now, to get ou- Eleanora blinks. Where am I? How did I get in here? Well, if there's one thing the Red Lily does best, its opening doors she's not supposed to open!

The Red Lily slots the sunrod into the arms of her backpack, and removes the hairpin from her long brown and pink locks. She moves to the door, and attempts to open it - expecting a lock, she'll then search it for traps before trying to pick the lock.

Perception to search for traps: [roll0]
Arcana to look for magical traps: [roll1]
Thievery to open the lock: [roll2]

Aron Times
2010-04-06, 06:07 PM
"Before anything else, let me check if there are any magical wards in the area."

Detect Magic [roll0]

OOC: Do we have our equipment? If not, what do we have?

Jokes
2010-04-06, 08:05 PM
@Miseed-
The sunrod illuminates your cell. You are in a small room 10ft by 10ft, with no windows and a sturdy looking door at one end.

@Eleanora-
There is no lock on the inside of the door, however you simply pull on the handle and the door creaks open.

@Nurzhan-
You are overwhelmed by a magical presence. You cannot tell what it is, but it permeates the air around you.

[You have all your equipment.]

Shadow_Elf
2010-04-06, 08:27 PM
Carelessnes! They insult me! An unlocked cell door. Feh, I say, feh! Red Lily's eyes glaze over a second as she looks around the hallway illuminated by her sunrod. She draws her rapier and buckler, and advances out of the cell proudly, flourishing her weapon. When she hears the sounds in the other cells, the voice of Caylan Strongbreeze booms forth. HALT! In the name of Corellon, who goes there?

mackejn
2010-04-06, 09:36 PM
"Hmm well, let's see if this is a cell or a guest room." Miseed carefully examines the door and attempts to open it.

Jokes
2010-04-06, 09:42 PM
@Miseed-
The door opens easily. Outside the room stands a woman shouting at you, and a boiling cloud of darkness that your sunrod does not not penetrate.

Shadow_Elf
2010-04-06, 11:21 PM
You there! Identify yourself! Are you an orc? Because, if you're an orc, I'd be forced to- the half-elf cuts off mid sentence.

Eleanora sheathes her sword and approaches the figure. Eleanora Quicknote, professional musician and jill-of-all-trades, at your service. She extends her hand for a handshake.

mackejn
2010-04-07, 05:48 AM
Miseed raises an eyebrow and shakes her hand. "Nice to...uhh....meet you. Any idea where this is?"

Aron Times
2010-04-07, 10:26 AM
"Some call me half-human, others call me half-orc," replies Nurzhan. "Nurzhan of the Oasis, Agent of the White Lotus, at your service."

Noticing that he has all of his equipment, Nurzhan says, "This doesn't seem much of a prison, considering they didn't take our weapons. However, I don't remember exactly how I got here. Does anyone know what happened?"

Jokes
2010-04-07, 10:57 AM
[Sorry if I wasn't clear, but you are/were all in separate cells, so unless Nurzhan uses a light source or fumbles around in the dark to find the door, he's still in his cell.]

Shadow_Elf
2010-04-07, 04:31 PM
Miseed raises an eyebrow and shakes her hand. "Nice to...uhh....meet you. Any idea where this is?"

Some manner of prison, I guess? I don't know why someone like me would end up in here. She shrugs. May I have the pleasure of your name?

Aron Times
2010-04-07, 06:27 PM
[Sorry if I wasn't clear, but you are/were all in separate cells, so unless Nurzhan uses a light source or fumbles around in the dark to find the door, he's still in his cell.]
Nuzhan has a sunrod in his pack, and he lights it.

Jokes
2010-04-07, 06:52 PM
@Nurhzan-

The sunrod lights but fails to produce more than a dull glow, but with your eyesight it is enough for you to view your cell. It is a 10ft by 10ft room with no windows and a large sturdy door at one end. Though, it probably isn't the door you are interested in. Lying propped up against the cell door is a dwarf, his eyes glazed over and a pool of blood underneath him. He is lying with his back to the door, bracing himself against it, obviously trying to prevent something from entering.

[You sunrod emits only dim light, instead of bright light. How odd :smallwink:]

mackejn
2010-04-08, 07:49 AM
Some manner of prison, I guess? I don't know why someone like me would end up in here. She shrugs. May I have the pleasure of your name?

"Yeah, I can't think of a reason you'd end up here either." Miseed looks around carefully. "I'm called Miseed. We probably ought to look around and see if we can find anyone else."

Shadow_Elf
2010-04-08, 09:51 AM
Maybe there's someone in this impenetrable sphere of darkness on my left? she asks, gesturing to the place where the sunrods don't shine at her left, Miseed's right. I mean, its obviously hiding something, right? she says savvily.

Arcana, to determine the nature of the globe of darkness:
[roll0]

Aron Times
2010-04-08, 10:32 AM
"I found something," Nurzhan yells to his fellow prisoners. "Or rather, someone. There is a dead dwarf in my cell, and it looks like he died trying to prevent someone or something from getting in."

Nurzhan looked at his dim sunrod. He knows of a place where light is inhibited by the environment, and the possibility of being in that place put him on edge. Still, one way to find out...

OOC: Nurzhan tries to feel the planar signature of this place. He suspects that they are in the Shadowfell.

Maharrg
2010-04-08, 10:33 AM
Ryltar

Maybe there's someone in this impenetrable sphere of darkness on my left? she asks, gesturing to the place where the sunrods don't shine at her left, Miseed's right. I mean, its obviously hiding something, right?

Speaking from within his cloud of Darkness "Indeed it is.." As he emerges out of the cloud, shielding his eyes from the brightness. "I am Ryltar and I am very displeased with my current situation. It seems you are as well. Perhaps we can find a way out together?"

Shadow_Elf
2010-04-08, 10:36 AM
Oh, hello there! It's an honour to make your acquaintance, Ryltar. In case you didn't hear me introduce myself before, I am Eleanora Quicknote, professional musician and jill-of-all-trades. She extends her hand to shake hands.

((I think, JS, that Jokes is keeping Nurzhan in his cell away from us for a reason? I do not think you are able to make contact with us.))

Jokes
2010-04-08, 11:26 AM
@Nurzhan-
You are certain you are still on the prime material plane, however you feel... isolated, shut off from the rest of the world.

Closer examination of the dwarf reveals just how he died. Not only is there a hole in the back of his skull, but there is also a hole through the door, something having punched it's way through and into the dwarf's head.

*Insight checks*

You know what? I feel like a skill challenge!

Quest Unlock: The Dead Dwarf!
Fairly easy one, main skills are Perception, Insight and Dungeoneering. Four successes before 2 failures.

[All cells are unlocked, and I want you all together :smallamused: ]

Aron Times
2010-04-08, 01:50 PM
Nurzhan tries to put two and two together to figure out what happened to the dwarf and how they got here. Where is "here," anyway?

Insight [roll0]

mackejn
2010-04-08, 03:29 PM
Miseed ponders the mystery at hand.

Shadow_Elf
2010-04-08, 05:33 PM
Eleanora takes out her Bandore and begins to play a tune. Examine, examine, examine, examine examine the deceased dwarf! If asked what she is doing, she replies I'm inspiring competence!

Eleanora and all allies that can see and hear her gain a +2 bonus to their next perception check.

After her song, Eleanora moves over to examine the body.

Perception: [roll0] to examine the corpse, and the door. Cause of death may be obvious, but the murder weapon is yet to be determined. This roll includes the +2 from Inspire Competence.

Inspire Competence:
Your magic channels the skill of ancient experts to help with the task at hand.
Encounter Arcane
Minor Action Close burst 5
Target: You and each ally in burst
Effect: Choose a skill. Until the end of the encounter, each target gains a +2 power bonus to his or her next check using that skill.

Jokes
2010-04-08, 09:43 PM
[I've added the +2 to Miseed's perception check. That's two successes and a fail. You'll learn the outcome of the challenge when you win or fail, so get rolling. Note, however, that the DC for perception has gone up.]

Shadow_Elf
2010-04-08, 11:09 PM
((Can we get bits of the puzzle with every skill check, or are we just going to suddenly figure it out all at once?))

Hmmm, yes, I see. I've seen marks like this before, made by a device like this. Now, it requires a great deal of strength to do this... judging by the look of panic frozen on his face, I would guess something big and scary.

Insight, to intuit what he may have been so afraid of
[roll0]

((I don't want to steal anyone's thunder here, but skill monkiery is kinda what Eleanora's built to do.))

Jokes
2010-04-09, 12:36 AM
[It's going to be an "Aha!" moment. That insight is a fail, but I'll allow two others to assist to bring it over DC20.]

Aron Times
2010-04-09, 01:10 AM
Insight Aid Another [roll0]

mackejn
2010-04-09, 11:55 AM
((For the record, I'm fine with letting the skill monkey finish it.))

Insight to Aid Another as well: [roll0]

Jokes
2010-04-10, 09:37 AM
[Ok, that's three successes, one failure. One more of either and we start the fun :smallbiggrin:]

Maharrg
2010-04-11, 10:53 AM
Ryltar

Seeing the top dwellers he just met inspecting a dead dwarf. Ryltar takes a glance into the dead dwarfs glassy eyes and reads the expression there. He then looks at the hole in the door and tries to intuit what happened.

Insight 1d20+4+2+2

Shadow_Elf
2010-04-11, 11:39 AM
((Maharrg, you can only have one modifier in your roll.

To expedite things, I hope you don't mind if I perform your reroll:
Ryltar's Insight: [roll0]

Aid Another from Eleanora: [roll1]))

Eleanora peers over the drow's shoulder, trying to figure out what exactly he is examining. ((Aid Another))

Jokes
2010-04-11, 05:05 PM
[Since I'll only allow 1 more person to aid, that's a fail. ]

You notice that the dwarf has been dead for only a few minutes, it's blood is still warm. Whatever killed him obviously hadn't had the chance to move him when it was interrupted, possibly by your arrival. Which means it is probably still close by...

You come to this realisation too late, as a number of tentacles smash down at you.

[roll0] vs AC
[roll1] vs AC
[roll2] vs AC
[roll3] vs AC

[edit: add +2 for combat advantage]

[roll4] + plus slide.

You look up to see a creature (dungeoneering check to recognise) clinging to the walls above you.

Battle Map (http://www.editgrid.com/user/jokes/Asylum_fights)

Jokes
2010-04-11, 10:58 PM
[Monster won initiative so goes again.]

The creature whips it's tentacles at you again, then vanishes!

[roll0] vs AC
[roll1] vs AC
[roll2] vs AC
[roll3] vs AC

[roll4]

[roll5]

Initiative order-
Monster
Narzhan
Miseed
Eleanora
Ryltar

You need not wait for your initiative count to take your turn.

mackejn
2010-04-12, 10:53 AM
Miseed flees in abject terror.

Use Lightning Shift to shift under the desk at F-7.
Use Second Wind to bring me back up to 66hp
((and is it perception to beat the stealth check?))

Aron Times
2010-04-12, 02:27 PM
Move Action: Armathor's Step to F8
Minor Action: Double Aegis on E7 and H7
Standard Action: Burning Blade on E7

Burning Blade
Attack: [roll0] vs. AC
Hit: [roll1] fire damage.
Effect: Until the end of the encounter, Nurzhan deals 5 extra fire damage on melee attacks.

Edit:
Critical Hit: 27 fire damage + ongoing 10 damage (save ends).

HP: 82/96

Edit Again:

Oops, just realized that that is a desk I am attacking. I didn't notice the legend to the right that you have to scroll horizontally to see. Damn, wasted critical.

Shadow_Elf
2010-04-12, 07:50 PM
Minor Action - Draw Rapier (Shield is already out)

Move Action - Move to F5

Standard Action - Ready Action to Sly Flourish the creature as soon as its in reach and I can detect it

Free Action - We're not afraid of yo- Eleanora's eyes glaze over momentarily. Come out, you slimy, tentacled cur! Come and fight me like a man!

Sly Flourish
At-Will Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee or Ranged weapon
Requirement: You must be wielding a crossbow, a light blade, or a sling.
Target: One creature
Attack: Charisma vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Charisma modifier (5) + Charisma modifier (5) damage.
Increase damage to 2[W] + Charisma modifier + Charisma modifier at 21st level.

Hit: [roll1] damage.

Maharrg
2010-04-12, 08:40 PM
Ryltar

Head ringing Ryltar mumbles and becomes transparent as smoke. He then diapers in a bamf to reappear in the SE corner. He franticly searches for the monster that just nearly knocked him out.

Immediate Int: Fog Form - Insubstantial UENT
Move: Spatial Trip - Teleport to C8
Standard: Second Wind
Minor: Perception to find the beastie 1d20+4

HP: 51/73
Surges: 5/6

Encounter
Second Wind
Cloud of Darkness
Darkfire
Ray of the Moon
Swirling Stars
Demon-Soul Bolts
Blazing Bolts
Fog Form
Spatial Trip
Fate's Chaos

Daily
Blinding Bolt
Season's Malaise
Palest Flames

Jokes
2010-04-12, 10:43 PM
Round 2: Fight!

The creature reappears next to Eleanora, lashing out at her with it's tentacles.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Eleanora's extra crit damage- [roll2]

[It's a DC20 dungeoneering check to identify, by the way. I will just say that it gains CA against someone it teleports next to, and deals more damage. Hence why it took the crit.]

mackejn
2010-04-13, 11:01 AM
Miseed yells "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!? KILL IT, KILL IT NOW."

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
and I can slide the target 3 squares at the beginning of its turn as a free action (save ends)

Shadow_Elf
2010-04-13, 04:24 PM
Prepare to die, spineless scumbag!

Minor Action - Majestic Word on Me
Recover [roll0] HP and Slide myself 1 Sq to G4

Minor Action - Song of Conquest
Sandra let's loose a bellowing war cry. UENT, any ally that hits the creature gain 8 THP.

Standard Action - Practiced Dilettante
Attack: [roll1] vs. AC
Hit: [roll2]

- Spend Action Point -

Free Action (Dabbler's Action)) - Sly Flourish
Attack: [roll3] vs. AC
Hit: [roll4]

Standard Action - Charger's Call <- 'nother crit. That's 24 + 3d6
Attack: [roll5] vs. AC
Damage: [roll6] and allies within 5 squares gain a +5 bonus to charge attacks UENT.

Dungeoneering (if I can try again): [roll7]

Sly Flourish
A distracting flourish causes the enemy to forget the blade at his throat.
At-Will Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee or Ranged weapon
Requirement: You must be wielding a crossbow, a light blade, or a sling.
Hit: 1[W] + Charisma modifier + Charisma modifier damage.
Increase damage to 2[W] + Charisma modifier + Charisma modifier at 21st level.

Practiced Dilettante
You give your enemies a little something extra that they
weren’t expecting.
Encounter
Standard Action Personal
Effect: You use the power you gained from your Dilettante
racial trait (Sly Flourish). If you hit, you deal 2[W] extra damage if your
Dilettante power is a weapon attack, or 2d8 extra damage
if it is not a weapon attack.

Charger's Call
You weave a song of fearless knights and mighty chargers, encouraging your allies to throw themselves into the fray.
Encounter Arcane, Weapon
Standard Action Melee weapon
Hit: 2[W] + Charisma modifier damage, and each ally within 5 squares of you gains a +2 bonus to attack rolls while charging until the end of your next turn.
Virtue of Valor: The bonus to attack rolls equals 1 + your Constitution modifier.

Aron Times
2010-04-13, 05:32 PM
Move: Armathor's Step
Standard: Burning Blade
Minor: Double Aegis
Action Point: Greenflame Blade

Greenflame Blade
Hit: [roll1] fire damage and each enemy adjacent to the target takes 5 fire damage.

Note: Burning Blade has +2 to attack from Armathor's Step and +2 from combat advantage for flanking. Greenflame Blade has +2 from flanking.

Aron Times
2010-04-14, 06:03 AM
Burning Blade
Effect: +5 fire damage on melee attacks until end of encounter.

Maharrg
2010-04-16, 10:05 AM
Ryltar

Leveling his staff at the beast "Finally a chance to strike!"

Move: to C6
Minor: Darkfire [roll0] v. Reflex. If hit target grants CA and cannot benefit from invisibility or concealment UEMNT.
Standard: Demon-Soul Bolts [roll1] v. Fort dmg [roll2] Thunder (ill forgo the slide) if hit same attack 2 more times:
[roll3] v. Fort dmg [roll4]
[roll5] v. Fort dmg [roll6]

HP: 51/73

Encounter
ACTION POINT
Second Wind
Cloud of Darkness
Darkfire
Ray of the Moon
Swirling Stars
Demon-Soul Bolts
Blazing Bolts
Fog Form
Spatial Trip
Fate's Chaos

Daily
Blinding Bolt
Season's Malaise
Palest Flames

Jokes
2010-04-16, 10:51 AM
[Ok, Mackejn gets a free slide on the monster now.]

mackejn
2010-04-16, 09:51 PM
((Think I wanna keep it where it is for now. Unless someone has a preference.))

Jokes
2010-04-16, 10:01 PM
((Think I wanna keep it where it is for now. Unless someone has a preference.))

[Have you rolled a dungeoneering check yet? You may as well take a stab at that.

edit: Darn, I just noticed this beastie is supposed to be large. This will be taken into account next round.]

Jokes
2010-04-16, 10:43 PM
The creature takes a lot of damage from yout combined efforts. It blinks out of existance for a moment and reappears next to Ryltar [teleport from g5->d5, Nurzhan and Eleanora are dazed, creature gains CA against Ryltar and Miseed by teleporting adjacent.] It flails around with it's tentacles, attacking everyone in the room!

[roll0] vs AC
[roll1] vs AC
[roll2] vs AC
[roll3] vs AC

[roll4] + [roll5] damage!

It tries to turn invisible, but Ryltar's dark fire prevents it from doing so. Getting pissed off, it attacks again. [Action point!]

[roll6] vs AC
[roll7] vs AC
[roll8] vs AC
[roll9] vs AC

[roll10] + [roll11] damage!

[roll12]

Shadow_Elf
2010-04-16, 10:53 PM
((Is this a burst attack, or multiple single target attacks? If it is multiple single target attacks, I believe it suffers -2 against everyone but Nurzhan from the mark, but if it is a burst then the mark has no effect. Also, dazed UENT, or dazed (save ends)?))

Jokes
2010-04-16, 10:57 PM
((Is this a burst attack, or multiple single target attacks? If it is multiple single target attacks, I believe it suffers -2 against everyone but Nurzhan from the mark, but if it is a burst then the mark has no effect. Also, dazed UENT, or dazed (save ends)?))

[Close Burst 3 power. "Enemies adjacent to the [creature] before it teleports are dazed until the end of its next turn."

Edit: could everyone post their current HP in their posts please?

For those wondering, only Nurzhan's attacks and Ryltars Demon-soul bolts missed.

Oh, and if you missed it on the map, the creature is also Bloodied]

mackejn
2010-04-17, 11:24 AM
((That puts me at 27, already used my second wind. Probably will die next round at this rate. Also, do I get anything for being under cover?))
Dungeoneering to identify: [roll0]

Shadow_Elf
2010-04-17, 11:51 AM
((Only have one action while dazed, so I might as well make the most of it and save somebody's life))

Sandra's eyes glaze over, and Eleanora's peppy innocence returns, though she appears very dizzy. Miseed, my friend! Get out from under there, before it corners you! We need your magic! She turns to Nurzhan. Nurzhan, can you find a way to get Ryltar out of there?

Minor Action - Majestic Word on Miseed
Miseed recovers Surge Value + [roll0] HP, and I slide him to G8, from where he can move to a safer position.

HP: 45/80
Surges: 10/11

Maharrg
2010-04-17, 04:29 PM
Ryltar

Recovering from the shock of the giant beastie appearing before him Rylatar scrambles, nearly sliping on his own blood as he shifts and attacks. He then spews a dark cloud around him.

Move: Shift 2 to A6 into cell if I can (darkfire dancer feat)
Standard: Season's Malaise on D6 (burst 1 within 10) [roll2] v. will dmg [roll3] psychic. Ongoing 5 psychic no immediate actions or OA (save ends all) - Oh a CRIT!
Minor: Cloud of Darkness
ACTION POINT
Standard: Ray of the Moon [roll0] v. Ref dmg [roll1] cold. Cannot shift and -1 to attack rolls UEMNT

HP: 12/73 (bloodied)

Encounter
ACTION POINT
Second Wind
Cloud of Darkness
Darkfire
Ray of the Moon
Swirling Stars
Demon-Soul Bolts
Blazing Bolts
Fog Form
Spatial Trip
Fate's Chaos

Daily
Blinding Bolt
Season's Malaise
Palest Flames

Aron Times
2010-04-17, 07:27 PM
Nurzhan moves to flank the monster and strikes with Greenflame Blade.

Greenflame Blade

HP: 56/96

Edited HP to reflect damage taken.

Shadow_Elf
2010-04-17, 07:31 PM
((Nurzhan is dazed, isn't he? Can he use Greenflame Blade on a charge?))

Jokes
2010-04-17, 08:14 PM
[Yes, Nurzhan is dazed, thus cannot move and attack, nor can he flank. He also cannot charge, given that he must move 2 squares to do so. The attack will miss, however.]

[roll0]

The Balhannoth is looking very worse for wear, one more decent hit should bring it down.

Been a lot of crits this fight.

Edit: Also, Miseed knows what this thing is! Though probably not much more than you've already figured out about it.

Balhannoth, Large aberrant magical beast (blind)
"In the deep earth, a balhannoth travels along ceilings and across rocky formations. It comes to the ground only to kill prey, doing so by teleporting to within striking distance of its quarry."

Aron Times
2010-04-18, 03:59 PM
Nurzhan, dazed and unable to concentrate on his foe, swings wildly and unleashes a Flame Cyclone.

Flame Cyclone
Attack: [roll0] vs. Reflex

Aron Times
2010-04-18, 04:01 PM
[Yes, Nurzhan is dazed, thus cannot move and attack, nor can he flank. He also cannot charge, given that he must move 2 squares to do so. The attack will miss, however.]

[roll0]

The Balhannoth is looking very worse for wear, one more decent hit should bring it down.

Been a lot of crits this fight.

Edit: Also, Miseed knows what this thing is! Though probably not much more than you've already figured out about it.

Balhannoth, Large aberrant magical beast (blind)
"In the deep earth, a balhannoth travels along ceilings and across rocky formations. It comes to the ground only to kill prey, doing so by teleporting to within striking distance of its quarry."

I've changed my action, since I forgot that I was dazed. I'm throwing a Flame Cyclone instead, which will probably also miss.

Edit: Just realized that I actually have combat advantage from Darkfire, which I forgot to factor in my roll.

Jokes
2010-04-18, 04:39 PM
Edit: Just realized that I actually have combat advantage from Darkfire, which I forgot to factor in my roll.

And it'll still miss. And funnily enough, if it had hit, would have left the balhannoth with 1hp :smallamused:

mackejn
2010-04-18, 08:13 PM
Miseed yells "DIE" and holds out his palm unleashing a ball of thunder at the beast.

((Well I feel better that I managed to identify the thing at least. At least, I did something useful. :smalltongue:

Thunder Bomb
centered on the thing
Cha vs Fort
Slowed until end of next turn, or if the target is in the origin square it is immobilized.

Jokes
2010-04-18, 10:39 PM
[...Miss]
The balhannoth easily shrigs off Miseed's attack and teleports next to Nurzhan and strikes out with it's tentacles.
[roll0] vs ac.
[roll1] + [roll2]

[at work atm, so i can't update the map. Updated. S'all your turns now.]

mackejn
2010-04-19, 06:13 AM
Miseed unleashes a savage cry , points his dagger at the creature, and unleashes a wave of sound at the creature.

Thunder Slam
Cha vs. Fort
Push the target three squares if I hit.

Jokes
2010-04-19, 06:34 AM
[Another miss. Is this why they are called Strikers? One more and you're out :smalltongue:]

Maharrg
2010-04-19, 08:55 AM
((did it take its ongoing 5?))

Ryltar

Moving out of the cell to a spot with a clear line of site he says "time to die!" More hopefull than a battle cry.

Move: to C5
Minor: take out a healing pot
Standard: Acid Orb [roll0] v ref. [roll1] Acid damage

HP: 12/73 (bloodied)

Encounter
ACTION POINT
Second Wind
Cloud of Darkness
Darkfire
Ray of the Moon
Swirling Stars
Demon-Soul Bolts
Blazing Bolts
Fog Form
Spatial Trip
Fate's Chaos

Daily
Blinding Bolt
Season's Malaise
Palest Flames

Jokes
2010-04-19, 09:39 AM
[More misses. See, this is what happens when you have a great first round, the dice gods even things out.

Thanks for reminding me of the ongoing damage.

[roll0]. Fail, still taking ongoing damage and cannot make opportunity attacks.]

Maharrg
2010-04-19, 09:41 AM
((jeez a 4 and a 1))

Aron Times
2010-04-19, 12:39 PM
HP: 29/96

Nurzhan snaps out of a daze and strikes the balhannoth with a Greenflame Blade!

Greenflame Blade

mackejn
2010-04-19, 01:19 PM
((So any chance this thing accidently teleported into a wall and killed itself? :smalltongue: Since none of us can hit the blind side of a barn.))

Shadow_Elf
2010-04-19, 04:18 PM
This ends here, eldritch beast! Come, we must rally against it! Eleanora casts a minor enchantment, which enhances the group's defenses. She then circles around the beast and strikes.

Minor Action - Mantle of Unity
Everyone uses the best of each defense in the party for each of their defenses UENT.

Move Action - Move to K5. ((No AoOs, yay!))

Standard Action - Scorpion's Claw Strike
Attack - [roll0] vs. AC
Damage - [roll1] and Nurzhan can be slid to any square adjacent to it of his choosing. Additionally, Nurzhan gains +4 AC (which, because of Mantle of Unity, basically gives us all +4 AC)

Mantle of Unity
Encounter Arcane
Effect: Determine the highest AC, Fortitude, Reflex, and Will among all the targets. Until the end of your next turn, use these values for the corresponding defenses of all the targets.

Scorpion's Claw Strike
Encounter Arcane, Weapon
Standard Action Melee weapon
Hit: 2[W] + Charisma modifier damage, and you slide an ally who is adjacent to the target to another space adjacent to it.
Virtue of Valor: Until the end of your next turn, the ally also gains a power bonus to AC equal to your Constitution modifier.

Jokes
2010-04-19, 06:13 PM
The balhannoth withstands your attacks, until Eleanora's attack finds it's mark. The creature's tentacles flail for a moment, then it falls over, dead. The room is silent once again.

Quest complete: The Dead Dwarf!
Reward: 400XP

[May I please have some perception and arcana checks from each of you.]

Maharrg
2010-04-19, 06:41 PM
Ryltar

Pressing his robes against the large gash in his belly Ryltar begins to try and get a better sense of his surroundings.

Arcana: [roll0]

((in short rest? Can we burn healing surges? Any bonus to surge value Shadow_elf?))

Jokes
2010-04-19, 06:50 PM
Ryltar

Pressing his robes against the large gash in his belly Ryltar begins to try and get a better sense of his surroundings.

((in short rest? Can we burn healing surges? Any bonus to surge value Shadow_elf?))

[Yes, spend as many as surges as you like. You get a +5HP per healing surge (song of rest).

Also, sorry for not being clear (it's too early in the morning :smalltongue:) you need to also make a perception check.]

Maharrg
2010-04-19, 06:53 PM
Ryltar

Jokes
2010-04-19, 07:07 PM
[You fail to notice the Balhannoth's tentacle above your head and strike you do... Ok, yeah, that would be mean :smallwink: You simply fail to notice anything out of the ordinary, so your arcana check doesn't come in (though it will be an aid another if anyone manages to hit my pretty high perception DC). It's nothing important, so don't fret over it.]

There is a single doorway to the west leading out of this room.

Shadow_Elf
2010-04-19, 07:28 PM
Eleanora grins at the dead beast. Well, that was a piece of cake, eh? Keep your eyes peeled - I wouldn't put it past this thing to have buddies around here somewhere. She smiles and sheathes her sword and shield. She sits on the creature's corpse, using it as a bench, and pulls out her bandore, as she begins to play and sing a lively tune.

I use Inspire Competence on Perception

Arcana: [roll1]

Inspire Competence
Encounter Arcane
Effect: Choose a skill. Until the end of the encounter, each target gains a +2 power bonus to his or her next check using that skill.

Also, whether or not Jokes rules that I can use Majestic Word regularly out of combat, my Song of Rest grants +5 HP/surge during short rests.

Shadow_Elf
2010-04-19, 07:54 PM
((Okay, everyone, tell me how many Majestic Words you need. We will spend 5 x # of majestic words/2 minutes in this room. Assume each majestic word will heal Surge + 17, it may be a bit more or less since it involves some dice rolls.))

Majestic Word on Eleanora
Heals [roll0] HP, for the cost of one surge.

mackejn
2010-04-19, 08:27 PM
((Actually with your song one healing surge will top me off.))

61/85 HP
7/9 Surges
I would like to use one more surge to top off, so....
85/85 HP
6/9 Surges

Maharrg
2010-04-19, 08:28 PM
((2 please. I took a beating))

Shadow_Elf
2010-04-19, 09:48 PM
Majestic Word Miseed:
[roll0] + Surge

Majestic Word Ryltar 1:
[roll1] + Surge

Majestic Word Ryltar 2:
[roll2] + Surge

Aron Times
2010-04-20, 01:45 PM
I need two heals plox.

Nurzhan, healed back to full fighting ability by the bard, says, "Thank you, my dear. The healing magic was most appreciated."

Shadow_Elf
2010-04-20, 05:01 PM
Majestic Word Nurzhan 1:
[roll0] + Surge

Majestic Word Nurzhan 2:
[roll1] + Surge

Eleanora smiles to the half-orc kindly. You're very welcome, friend! As he looks into her face, her eyes glaze over a moment. When they return to normal, her demeanor has changed. Who are you? And what manner of ugly monstrosity am I sitting on? Last thing I remember, I was breaking out of that cell... where in the Nine am I? Eleanora seems much less cheery and childish. Her eyes dart around suddenly every one in a while, always on the alert.

mackejn
2010-04-20, 05:46 PM
"Sooooo anyone got any idea what's going on here? Or is fighting unholy terrors in the darkness normal for you guys? I'm Miseed by the way." Miseed looks around inquisitively.

Aron Times
2010-04-20, 09:11 PM
"Isn't that part and parcel of having arcane magic," replied Nurzhan with a question, "To be a magnet for all sorts of dangerous, magical creatures?" He looked at the dimly-lit environment. "We need to find a way out. Let's start searching for the exit."

Shadow_Elf
2010-04-20, 10:46 PM
Hello? Who are you people? Does no one know what is going on around here!? Why should I follow strangers I've never even met before? The half-elf seems completely unlike the woman you'd been speaking to just moments ago.

mackejn
2010-04-21, 08:26 AM
"I agree about the getting out of here. This place bothers me. Between the dark and the teleporting monstrosity of doom, the sooner we get out the better." Miseed glances around the room taking stock of his surroundings again. "Any idea on HOW?"

Jokes
2010-04-21, 08:42 AM
You find the door on the west side of the room. Through it is a long corridor stretching out in both directions.

North or South?

Aron Times
2010-04-21, 12:47 PM
Standing on the intersection, Nuzhan slashes an X to mark their progress, so they can backtrack if they need to. He grabs a coin and flips it, heads (1) for north and tails (2) for south.

"Let's go this way," he says, pointing north.

[roll0]

HP: 98/98
Surges 8/10

Edit: Just realized I have 98, not 96 HP.

Shadow_Elf
2010-04-21, 02:24 PM
The Red Lily throws her hands into the air in exasperation. Sure, treat me like I'm invisible, see if I care. She follows the half-orc into the corridor.

When he flips the coin and turns to the north, she grabs his arm. What kinda amateur are you? Here, let me go ahead, and scout for traps. Unless of course you just want to ignore me again, in which case, go ahead, get your head blown off by a trap.

If Nurzhan makes no more to forge ahead, she'll creep down the hall stealthily with her sunrod out, but covered in a cloth to dim it a bit, scouting for traps mundane and magical. She has sheathed her rapier, but her shield is out.

Stealth: [roll0]
Perception: [roll1]
Arcana: [roll2]

((EDIT: Seriously!? This has been the worst scouting endeavour of my life, I think. Curse you, Gods of RNG!))

mackejn
2010-04-21, 02:53 PM
"That way it is. Seems as good as any I guess."

Maharrg
2010-04-21, 09:14 PM
Ryltar

As Ryltar was about to thank Eleanora for the healing he noticed her demeanor change. He slips back into the shadows thinking to himself. These people are completely insane. We just got jumped by a massive tentacle beast and the Bard has no memory of the event. Best just to sulk in the background.

Not knowing what is the best course of action Ryltar follows behind the group. out of the glare of the dampened sunrod ((5 squares?)) and attempts to be as stealthy as possible.

hp: 71/73
surge: 3/6

Jokes
2010-04-22, 09:55 PM
There appears to be nothing in the halls for you to hide from. The corridors twist and turn, empty cells with their doors wide open line the wall. You finally reach the end of the cellblock, noted by the heavy metal gate that lies torn from it's hinges. The endless corridors give way to an endless row of desks. Between the cells and the offices is a set of ornate stairs, rising several floors high, like a tower.

There is a bronze sign at the base of the stairs, that simply reads. "Warden's Office."

Exits are East, West (the way you came) and Up.

Shadow_Elf
2010-04-22, 10:25 PM
This place appears... thoroughly abandoned. Something happened here... and if something happened, then I, the Red Lily, shall find out what! With that, the strange half-elf woman begins walking around the room, inspecting desks and papers, their placement, footprints in the dust, any hints she can find as to the sudden vacancy of the office space.

Perception: [roll0] to examine the scene
Insight: [roll1] to piece together any evidence she finds
Arcana: [roll2] the usual detect magic check

Also, keep in mind that anyone within 10 squares of me gets a +1 Racial bonus to Insight checks because I am a half-elf.

Jokes
2010-04-23, 12:12 AM
There is no sign of dust or anything that would indicate long term abandonment. It is most likely that whoever worked here simply went home for the night.

Aron Times
2010-04-23, 02:50 PM
"If this is the warden's office, then we might be able to find an event log for this prison, or something that can tell us where we are, how we got here, and how we can get out."

We should all Take 10 or Take 20 on our Perception checks to thoroughly search this place for clues. We are not threatened, and we (hopefully) have all the time in the world to conduct such a thorough search.

Jokes
2010-04-23, 11:25 PM
and we (hopefully) have all the time in the world to conduct such a thorough search.

This is an assumption you shouldn't be making :smallamused:

Shadow_Elf
2010-04-23, 11:29 PM
In my professional opinion - and I am a professional in such matters - we should take the stairs. As people were working here just today, it is likely that the halls above us are safe - after all, these people have desk jobs, they come and go every day. If they were getting picked off by monstrosities like that dead tentacle beast back in the cell blocks every day, they'd stop working here. She gestures towards the stairs with an inclination of her head and begins to lead the way that way, unless someone objects.

Aron Times
2010-04-24, 02:51 AM
Nurzhan nods and silently follows the strange woman.

What a coincidence, he thought, to be locked up with a group of fellow mages, all of the same level of skill. It almost feels like being in a bad play, their actions decided by an omnipotent playwright.

Jokes
2010-04-24, 03:54 AM
[I'm not sure if i should be insulted by that...]

You climb the several floors up to the warden's office. The air gets noticeably warmer and thicker as you ascend. You step out onto the final landing and into the office.

You are standing in an antechamber outside of the wardens office, probably for the wardens secretary. The room, however, is completely ransacked. The desk has been toppled over and papers are flung all about the room. The door into the warden's office is closed and locked, and gives your hand a strange tingle as you touch it.

[more to come later, i'm posting on my coffee break Ok, apart from a couple typos, I guess that is all I need to say for now.]

Aron Times
2010-04-24, 01:46 PM
Take 10 on Detect Magic: 24

Nurzhan examines the door with his arcane senses, trying to find out what it is and if he can dispel it.

Shadow_Elf
2010-04-24, 05:21 PM
((Taking 10 is not RAW in 4e, but if Jokes allows it, I'm cool with it. So, if we're spending 10 minutes here anyway...))

An important-looking door? It is no doubt far more than it seems... The Red Lily begins examining the door carefully, using her hands to pinpint things and such, but careful not to touch its surface until Nurzhan finishes his magical analysis.

Taking 10 on Perception to find mundane traps around the door: 24

((If you'd rather we roll, that's okay))

Jokes
2010-04-24, 08:54 PM
[It's taking 20 that isn't RAW.]

Eleanora fails to find any physical traps on the door. Nurzhan is once again overwhelmed by the presence of magic and finds it difficult concentrating on the door. He is able to glean that the protections aren't only arcane, but divine too.

Your probings have one unexpected result on the door. A voice begins to echo from the other side.

"Oh, back already? Thought you'd try your luck again? Go ahead, blast away. I'm not going anywhere, take your time with it."

Shadow_Elf
2010-04-24, 09:03 PM
The Red Lily's eyes glaze over, and Eleanora is obviously back to her bright, cheery self. She smiles when they hear the voice.
Hello? I'm not sure exactly what you are talking about, but we're stuck in here and would really like to get out. Would you please help us? As she says this, she makes some weird motion with her fingers.

Eleanora uses Words of Friendship, and then tries to reason with the voice, which she assumes is the Warden's.

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Words of Friendship
Encounter Arcane, Charm
Minor Action Personal
Effect: You gain a +5 power bonus to the next Diplomacy check you make before the end of your next turn.

Jokes
2010-04-24, 09:11 PM
"Oh, we are all stuck in here, my lady. You, me, all those other brats down there. Oh, you can't see them from there can you. Just not all of us are as keen to escape as you are. And if I let just you out then all the other psychotics will be free to go too. You understand the position I'm in, right?"

Shadow_Elf
2010-04-24, 09:30 PM
No, I really must say I don't understand. May I ask who you are, my good sir? I am Eleanora, and my friends are Nurzhan, Ryltar and Miseed.

Jokes
2010-04-24, 09:48 PM
"You don't understand?" The voice is silent for a minute. "Oh, I see, some of the Inquisitors must be unaware of the predicament as well and are still sending in prisoners. We are in Lock-down. Nothing is allowed to leave until the situation is handled, or the fail-safes kick in. And as the situation is not under control, there is nothing that I, the Warden, can do about it."

Shadow_Elf
2010-04-24, 09:52 PM
Oh... I see. Eleanora turns to her three companions, and in a voice low enough so that the Warden cannot hear, she asks them a question. What do you all want to do? No matter how much I honey my tongue with magic, this guy is serious - they won't let us out until whatever it is over. Maybe if we helped them resolve the problem?

Aron Times
2010-04-25, 01:01 PM
"I'm sensing an overwhelming amount of magic in this place," said Nurzhan. "Where exactly are we, anyway? And why are we prisoners? We didn't do anything wrong."

"Oh, I thought I should let you know that we encountered a monster just outside our cells, which were inexplicably unlocked. Was that monster the reason for the lockdown?"

mackejn
2010-04-26, 08:43 AM
Miseed looks around nervously. "I just want out of this place. Between the weirdness with that....THING and this guard, I REALLY don't like this. If helping them means getting out sooner, I say we do it. It seems it's either that or die down here, at least helping them we may go down with a fight."

Shadow_Elf
2010-04-26, 03:53 PM
Good sir warden! If, hypothetically, my noble companions and I, imprisoned in here without due cause, were to resolve the issue from whence your current state of panic stems, would you then agree to open the door and let us leave? I am sure for trained adventurers such as ourselves, your lockdown-worthy issue would be simple enough to remedy.

Jokes
2010-04-26, 10:47 PM
"Well, you'll have to work quickly, if the situation isn't under control 24 hours after lockdown... about sundown tonight, the failsafes will kick in and nobody will be going anywhere after that. Even so, I couldn't let you in anyway, I seem to have left the key in my other pants." The Warden bursts into laughter, which slowly fades away, indicating he is no longer anywhere near the door.

mackejn
2010-04-27, 07:02 AM
"Somehow...I just don't see this ending well for us. Something about this isn't right at all. Not just the being locked in here, but the guy behind the door. I don't like this in the least. In any case, any ideas on how we should get started on this? We apparently don't really have much time."

Aron Times
2010-04-27, 07:39 AM
"You haven't told us why this place is under lockdown, Warden. Care to tell us the whole story?"

Jokes
2010-04-27, 07:49 AM
There is no reply from the Warden. Either he isn't listening, or he doesn't want to answer.

Aron Times
2010-04-27, 04:28 PM
"Alright, this is getting nowhere," declared Nurzhan. "Let's go find the control room, if there is one, so we can lift the lockdown and get out of here."

Shadow_Elf
2010-04-27, 04:54 PM
My memory's a bit fuzzy, but if I'm remembering right, there was another passage branching off to the East back in the general worker's room. We could go back there... but I find it unlikely that whatever ransacked this room went through that room without ransacking it too. Which means its probably somewhere very nearby. Remembering the tentacle monster, she cautiously looks up to see if yet another eldritch horror is hiding on the ceiling.

Jokes
2010-04-27, 11:17 PM
[You aren't going to search the antechamber first?

Ok, so this is how I'm going to do fact-finding: Your passives will alert you that there is something in a room worth finding, which I may weave into the descriptive text to give you a hint (which won't require a roll if you say "I inspect X"). Then you may roll+aid another to see how many more clues you find.]

mackejn
2010-04-28, 08:53 AM
Miseed walks over to the desk and begins to examine it and check any drawers. "I wonder if there's anything useful left in here."

Jokes
2010-04-29, 05:47 AM
You try to pull open the drawer, but find it jammed by something inside. It may take great care to open the drawer without breaking the obstruction.

[Thievery check to manipulate the item to open the drawer]

Shadow_Elf
2010-04-29, 05:43 PM
Is it jammed? Let me take a quick look at it - I don't know how or why, but I seem to have a bit of a knack for picking locks. Wish me luck! Eleanora moves up to the drawer and very carefully tries to unjam it.
((If someone else has good/higher Thievery, please assist, since she isn't actually trained in it yet.))

Thievery: [roll0]

mackejn
2010-04-29, 07:54 PM
Miseed attempts to get it open.

Thievery: [roll0]

Aron Times
2010-04-29, 08:28 PM
While the rest of the group is busy searching the room, Nurzhan stands guard, ready to leap into action at the slightest hint of trouble.

Jokes
2010-04-29, 10:36 PM
Miseed manages to slowly coax the drawer open. Inside is a glass jar full of a strange, foulsmelling, briney liquid. Underneath the jar are a number of papers, which would probably have been ruined if the jar had smashed. They appear to be shipping manifests for several strange creatures brought into the Asylum for study. Among them is a Balhannoth. Among others on the list are Grells, Destrachans and Chuuls. It seems someone was interested in aberrations.

edit: Judging by the dates, the creatures seem to have been shipped in within the last two weeks.

Shadow_Elf
2010-04-29, 10:57 PM
Eleanora curses mildly as she reads the papers over Miseed's shoulder. Aberrations? A whole truckload? This- Eleanora lapses out again. By Bane's bootstraps, why did it have to be wizards? moans Sandra, as the grizzled veteran's personality takes hold of the half-elf's body.

mackejn
2010-04-30, 06:45 AM
"I think....that we are in a great deal of trouble. I also think the warden is lying through his teeth, the rat bastard. I don't know that we have any choice but to stop this; however, I think that we should be wary of betrayal. This whole situation just stinks." Miseed glances at his companions and around the room. "Anyone find anything else that might look like it might have more information?"

Jokes
2010-04-30, 09:32 AM
[Superdupermegaultramain Quest: Find the Warden's key! Aka: Why are they called pants when there is only one of them?]

Maharrg
2010-05-03, 05:09 PM
Ryltar

stepping from the shadows. "umm fellows?" Clearing his throat. "Did we search the dead dwarf back there? The one with the massive head wound?"

Shadow_Elf
2010-05-03, 06:00 PM
Well, we did before we knew what killed him - we didn't search him again after the balhannoth attacked, if that's what your meaning was. There is also that branching passage we passed downstairs... well men, if there's anything left you want to do in this room, do it now - otherwise, we've got a key to find, and some aberrations to slay! You know, this reminds me of a time... Sandra begins going off on a tangent, talking about her experiences in tunnel fighting back in the border wars.

mackejn
2010-05-04, 06:54 AM
"Hmmm. I don't know that the dwarf will be any help. I have a feeling what we're looking for may be deeper in this abyssmal place. It would seem too easy to just find it here. As much as I hate to do it, we probably are going to have to explore this place more before we can get out. At least we may be able to find some more inmates to help us, or at least possibly save some of the poor souls."

Aron Times
2010-05-04, 03:56 PM
Nurzhan notices the bard's radical change in behavior, but decides not to bring it up now; they have other things to worry about. "Lead the way, lady and gentlemen."

Shadow_Elf
2010-05-04, 05:18 PM
Onward, to salvation! Come on, men! Step, two three four, march! two, three, four... Sandra begins marching quickly down the stairs, so they can return to the room where they found the branching passage earlier.

Jokes
2010-05-04, 08:12 PM
[Which branching passage? The one outside of the room you teleported into, or the one just downstairs from the wardens office?]

Aron Times
2010-05-07, 08:13 PM
((The one outside our cells. We took one path and got to the warden's office, and we're going to backtrack and see where the other path takes us.))

Jokes
2010-05-08, 08:38 AM
You head back to where you began, following Nurzhan's handy chalk markers saves you from getting lost.

As you begin to head back into unkown territory, you hear faint noises up a head of you. Getting closer to the source and it sounds like... a party.

Aron Times
2010-05-08, 12:19 PM
Something is definitely wrong here. Nurzhan slowly advances, sword in hand, to investigate what sounds like a party...

Shadow_Elf
2010-05-08, 05:56 PM
Stay alert, men, whispers Sandra in a conspiratorial tone, ending her speech on her experiences (imagined, of course) in the trenches. As she hears the party, however, Eleanora's cheery disposition returns. Is that a party I hear? whispers the excited bard, once again the dominant personality in her own body.

Jokes
2010-05-10, 02:33 AM
The corridors slowly begin to gain more illumination as you head toward the sound. You finally turn the final corner and almost walk right into a heavily armoured guard! Two such guards flank a large double wide doorway, the door no longer attached to the frame. The pair cross spears across the doorway, their spear tips barely reaching each others. "Oi, what have we here?" One of the guards looks at Eleanora and grins. "Have the Sisters decided to reconsider the proposal yet?"

The room beyond is one of the easiest to recognise from the outside of the asylum. The Spire is the largest tower in the entire city and houses the majority of the prisoners, it's balconies spiralling up several hundred feet high. In the centre of the room is both the source of light and the final resting place of the large double doors. A huge bonfire burns, though with no smoke and considerably less heat than expected. On each of the balconies, people are busy prying the wooden doors from their cells and hurling them down onto the fire, each one met with a round of applause and raucous laughter.

Shadow_Elf
2010-05-10, 08:39 PM
Eleanora's eyes widen at the bonfire going on in the spire. When the guards ask their question, she gives them a quizzical look. Since when do I have a sister? Do I know you?

Insight to see if the guards are charmed somehow: [roll0]
Arcana to detect a charm [roll1]

mackejn
2010-05-11, 02:19 PM
"IIIInteresting....this is probably not good."

Jokes
2010-05-12, 12:11 AM
"You aren't from the Sisters?" He glances at the group, "No, now that you mention it, you don't look like crazy cultists. So who are you then?"

Eleanora doesn't find any trace of magical compulsion on the guards, however while trying to detect anything magical, she is overwhelmed by the presence and her head starts throbbing.

"Hehe, there's too much magic in this place for most folk to handle opening themselves to. Not many can do it without worse than a blood nose. Poor old Watt's head damn near exploded. Oengrin seems to be the only one who can do it consistently well."

Shadow_Elf
2010-05-12, 08:11 AM
Eleanora begins kneading her temples, trying to get over the quick rush of pain from her Detect Magic attempt. When the pain becomes bareable, she opens her eyes and smiles. Who are these Sisters, then? And, out of curiosity, do you work for this establishment? I'm asking because we've come with some rather dire news from the Warden, and would like some assistance finding a number of missing aberrations, she explains, taking out the order form to show them which ones if they ask.

Diplomacy /w Words of Friendship:
[roll0]

mackejn
2010-05-12, 08:22 AM
"I don't think I'm crazy. I know I'm not a cultist. And, I have no clue who these sisters are. We're not really sure WHY we're here. "

Jokes
2010-05-12, 09:29 AM
The guard takes the list and whistles softly. "Well that would explain why people keep disappearing... I'm glad I pulled guard duty instead of recon." He smiles a little too wide for your liking. "Do I work for this establishment? Well, I do now, now that it's under new management." He nods his head toward the room behind him. "We took care of the night guards pretty easily. It was fun getting a bit of revenge on those bastards."

"The Sisters are one of those crazy suicide cults. Got locked up after the Inquisition caught them trying to blow up the city. As soon as the got free they got the cabal back together and wandered off into the darker places of the asylum." The guard taps the paper. "Probably dead by now."

"So, what lies has the Warden been spreading to you then?" The other guard chimes in. "'Oh, there's no way out, trapped forever, wah wah wah.'"

Shadow_Elf
2010-05-12, 05:27 PM
So there is another way out? To think, I put on my most charming disposition, and he still lied to my face... well, voice, I suppose, him being on the other side of those giant doors. When we get out of here, boys, what d'you say we pay the good Warden a little courtesy call, hmmm? She turns back to the "guards". So, we may not be crazy, but we'd be happy to help a concentrated group escape - safety in numbers, and all that. Could we interest you and your... friends... in participating in a joint aberration hunt?

Jokes
2010-05-15, 12:58 AM
The first guard slaps the second over the back of the head. "Do you really plan on telling everyone the escape plan?" He turns back at you, studying your assortment of magical items. "Though you do seem well equipped enough... You might want to have a chat to Oengrin and Lester, it's their plan, after all." The guards step aside and allow you to enter.

Shadow_Elf
2010-05-15, 01:23 PM
Could you tell us, gentlemen, where we might find these two leader-types? We're pretty perceptive, a simple visual description would suffice, asks the half-elf charmingly, eager to get a chance to talk with someone in a position of power who actually has a plan.

Jokes
2010-05-16, 07:41 AM
"Sorry, used to people knowing where the bosses are." He points to the bonfire. "On the other side of that, centre cells, you can't miss 'em."

Aron Times
2010-05-26, 02:14 PM
"Well, let's talk to them then."

Shadow_Elf
2010-05-26, 03:41 PM
Yes, lets! agrees Eleanora, forging on ahead and letting the others keep pace. She curses silently under her breath that she wasted her eloquence spell on the guards, a spell she won't have the access to the arcane flows for to recast for another few minutes or so.

Maharrg
2010-05-26, 04:06 PM
Ryltar

Not sure of what else to do the drow follows close behind.

Jokes
2010-05-26, 09:11 PM
You edge your way around the bonfire to see two men sitting outside their cells. One is a dwarf, presumably Oengrin, who has a grey-blue beard, which is currently in the process of being braided by a younger dwarf. At the moment, his beard reaches well to the ground, probably showing just how long he's been locked up here. The other is an eladrin, though he's completely bald due to heavy scarring from what look like burns running across his face and head. He looks at you with piercing green eyes and prods Oengrin. "We have some visitors."

Shadow_Elf
2010-05-26, 09:56 PM
Eleanora puts on her most diplomatic smile, and addresses their "hosts". Hello, Oengrin and Lester I presume? My companions and I were told that the two of you head this noble operation? The four of us were wondering whether we might be able to lend our assistance to your... efforts. We have some valuable information about the nature of the lockdown, and we want out of here just as badly as you guys. So, whaddya say? The half-elf grins friendlily.

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Jokes
2010-05-29, 09:07 AM
The eladrin grins at you a little too friendlily. "Hmmm, maybe you could lend your 'efforts' in my bunk later?" He smiles, his brown teeth almost cutting into his lip and you can smell the stench of his breath from several feet away.

"Knock it off, Lester, you'll get your fill when we are out of this place." Oengrin shakes his head. "No wonder the Sister's don't come back. If you really want to help us, you will find us magical items. Lots of them. The Sisters took a few when they left, there will surely be more about in this infernal place." He doesn't mention why he wants them, nor does it appear that he thinks such information is necessary. He simply looks at you solemnly waiting for you to speak.

[Anyone is allowed a history check to recognise these two.]

Shadow_Elf
2010-05-29, 02:45 PM
At Lester's lecherous comment, Eleanora simply rolls her eyes. When Oengrin brings up hunting down magical items, she gives the dwarf a somewhat quizzical look. And why, exactly, should we give whatever items we find to you? Why not keep them ourselves and use them to escape on our own? What, exactly, is in it for us? Eleanora is careful not to reveal that she knows more about the nature of the lockdown than she is letting on.

Bluff: [roll0]
History: [roll1]

Aron Times
2010-05-29, 08:25 PM
Nurzhan makes a History check: [roll0]

If I Take 10, I get 26.

Jokes
2010-05-29, 09:56 PM
Re: Lester [DC20]
About a century ago, the city was preyed upon by a remorseless psychopath. He would kidnap people, often young women, and do unspeakable acts of depravity to them. He would then burn down the building while his victims were still alive inside. He was finally brought to the asylum when he himself was trapped in one of his fires.

Re: Oengrin [DC25]
Oengrin was a high priest of Ioun for most of his life. However, at some point he began to worship Orcus. While this tenure was only a few weeks, he'd become quite an accomplished necromancer in the time before he was caught and locked in the asylum.

Oengrin raises an eyebrow at Eleanora and shrugs. "Nothing, really, just your chance to escape, and some small protection from the other inmates under my command. We are using the residuum to blow a hole in the barrier. We don't know how long this hole will last, so your best bet is to stick with us, to ensure you get a place in line." He swats away the dwarf working on his beard and you realise that the young dwarf is quite undead. The zombie moves back a few paces and stares at you. Oengrin brings out a sheet of parchment from beside him and rests it on his lap. "It should be dawn soon, so you might have better luck going outside." He unfurls the paper to reveal a map. "You can get out through a corridor down this way, skirt around the building to get back in over here. We think the Sisters are holed up over there." He offers you the map. The map itself is just a crudely drawn line art, as if it were hastily copied and there wasn't any time to write in any key or features. It will stop you from getting lost, but unless you know where to go, it isn't a great deal of help.

Shadow_Elf
2010-05-29, 11:07 PM
Eleanora smiles, and accepts the offered map. Please, allow me to confer with my companions a moment.

She turns to the others, and speaks in a whisper, inaudible to the two leaders. So, you guys want to hunt down magic items for these guys, or take our chances with the aberrations and use this escape route? I'm personally not ecstatic about the idea of helping set that depraved madman Lester free on the world, but getting out is getting out.

Aron Times
2010-06-01, 08:55 PM
"Together we stand, divided we fall," states Nurzhan. "In this bizarre and unpredictable situation, it is wise to accept all the help that we can get."

"Also, what was your name again," he asks the half-elf. "Or rather, what name are you using right now? What's with the name-changing?"

Shadow_Elf
2010-06-01, 10:32 PM
When did I change my... oh, not you too! The guards at the gate kept calling me "Sandra", and the barkeep at the tavern where I stayed kept calling me "Caelan". So, what ridiculous name have you made up for me? Isn't Eleanora ridiculous enough? She puts her hands on her hips. And on the subject of helping them, there's also the opportunist in the back of my mind telling me that those magic items would be best served splitting aberration skulls and picking magic locks, not as fuel for some detonation. What if we cannot get enough residuum in time?

Aron Times
2010-06-03, 03:04 PM
"I don't think they meant a literal explosion," says Nurzhan, raising an eyebrow and rubbing his chin. "Or if does involve an actual one, it is secondary to bringing down the magic barrier that keeps us trapped inside."

"Anyway, I don't remember much about how I got here. All I remember is that I was captured by someone and declared guilty on some charge at midnight. My next memory is that of waking up in my cell."

"If they have the ability to modify memories, I was thinking that perhaps they also have some way to restore them. We should keep an eye out on any magic that might be able to restore our memories so we would know what exactly we are up against."

Jokes
2010-06-05, 09:57 PM
"So, what'll it be?" Oengrin calls over to you.

Shadow_Elf
2010-06-05, 10:18 PM
I think my companions and I are a bit divided, good Oengrin, but I may have a compromise. We will take advantage of the map you've got and travel towards the exit - if we stumble by some miracle on a substantial trove of magical equipment, we'll hurry back here to help with the preparations. Does that sound acceptable? she asks, both to her companions and the two leaders.

Jokes
2010-06-05, 11:15 PM
The dwarf scratches his chin. "Tiddles, eye me." Oengrin holds his hand out to the zombie beside him. 'Tiddles' reaches up to his face and presses a thumb to his eyesocket. There is a quick splurt of blood and the zombie pulls out his eye and hands it to Oengrin. "Take this with you, I'll see what it sees. Just in case you don't manage to make it back, I'll at least know where to find your corpses."

Arcana DC20:
This is obviously a modified version of the Gravesight ritual, allowing Oengrin to scry using the zombies senses, even if they are no longer attached. The eye will only transmit sight, not sound.

Shadow_Elf
2010-06-05, 11:39 PM
How... very kind of you, smiles Eleanora, accepting the eye as graciously as she can. She looks at herself, trying to find an apt place to put it, but the sphere proves too awkward. I haven't got an extra hand. Anyone care to hold this for the team? she asks her companions.

Maharrg
2010-06-07, 11:10 AM
Ryltar

"I'll be happy to carry the eye." Ryltar offers a little too quicly.

Shadow_Elf
2010-06-07, 01:32 PM
Uh, okay... great, replies Eleanora, happily obliging her eccentric drow companion. We thank you for your hospitality and understanding, sirs. I think we'll follow this map and be on our way, then!

Jokes
2010-06-11, 09:59 PM
[Since it doesn't look like anyone wants to say anything more here.]

You take the map and leave the mad wizards to their business. As you follow the map toward the outside, the sounds and lights behind you fade, but a new one grows in front of you.

You stumble outside into the dawn light. The eastern sun is rising over the city, but its light is distorted by a shimmering veil of energy about 50ft from the Asylum wall. Craning your neck, you see the barrier extends all the way above the Asylum, into a dome. So this is what is keeping everyone from escaping.

[Arcana and Perception checks. Also, your sunrods have burnt out by now, and going back into the asylum will require light.]

Shadow_Elf
2010-06-12, 09:05 PM
Well isn't that interesting...

Jokes
2010-06-13, 01:00 PM
Interesting indeed. The Barrier seems to be built using both Abjuration and Necromancy, and you surmise that nothing good can come of trying to get too close to it. You also notice that, despite being outside, the atmosphere hasn't changed, it still feels warm and stuffy.

Maharrg
2010-07-15, 04:47 PM
Ryltar

"Take it a look at this...." he holds up Oengrin eye, sowing him the dome. Tentatively taping the obviously schizophrenic bard on the shoulder "Maybe we should go back in. I can lead us in the darkness. Hand over that map."

Shadow_Elf
2010-07-15, 04:53 PM
Snapping herself out of her stupor at the amazing magical barrier, Eleanora turns to Maharrg. Oh, I'd nearly forgotten you had Darkvision! Splendid! Let us away... She turns from the wall, sure of its strength - she figures its a waster of time to try and break through, they'll have to get around it somehow.

((Good save, Maharrg. I was really enjoying this PbP, I don't want to let it die :smalltongue:. Also, I have been keeping out of her Caelan persona because Caelan is an elven crusader who hates Orcs and Drow :smalltongue:. I shall try to find a way to make her sympatico with the rest of the party when Caelan takes over. Also, if we're missing some players, Jokes, can we go into re-recruitment?))

Jokes
2010-07-15, 09:32 PM
Looking over the map, you see another, slightly more direct route through the Asylum toward where the sisters are holed up. Rather than going all the way around the outskirts, you can enter through one of the larger side buildings.

[I'd rather not re-recruit, but I'm getting better at running games for two people (I dm a weekly game for 2 people). But if Joseph steps back in, that's good too.]

Maharrg
2010-07-15, 10:36 PM
Ryltar

Pointing out the buildings entrance on the map Ryltar turns to Eleanora. "This looks like the most logical place to begin our search" Turning away from the elf he dashes at a sprint to the buildings entrance holding Oengrin's eye in an outstretched arm.

Jokes
2010-07-16, 12:02 AM
You run around toward the other entrance. This section of the Asylum looks somewhat newer, obviously tacked on to the rest of the building. It looks somewhat like a wooden barn, jutting out the side of the stone wall. A cobblestone road leads up to large double doors on one side. A smaller door is set on an adjacent wall. Next to it is a sign that reads

"All invoices to be signed and stamped by the Warden."

The word 'Warden' has obviously been altered into it's current form.

Shadow_Elf
2010-07-16, 09:38 AM
Eleanora

The half-elf peers at the sign, noting the alteration made. Hmmmm... perhaps our friend the Warden isn't all he said he was? Maybe those creatures were part of some manner of takeover? I think we need more details... Well, lets test that door! Eleanora goes up an reaches for the handle, to see if its locked.

((Also, want to say that the others decided that, having seen the barrier, they'd rather go with Oengrin's plan and look elsewhere for items? If one of them comes back, we can "bump into them" in the halls, but I'd really rather not have the RP baggage.))

Jokes
2010-07-16, 12:20 PM
The door creaks open slowly, a chill wind blowing out for a brief moment. The room inside is pitch black, and apart from the odd creak and groan of the building, is silent.

Shadow_Elf
2010-07-16, 01:12 PM
Eleanora

What do your eyes see, Ryltar? she asks, peering into the dark but seeing nothing.

Maharrg
2010-07-16, 01:25 PM
Ryltar

Slipping the eye into a pouch Ryltar peers into the darkness and relates what he sees to the half-elf

Jokes
2010-07-17, 10:54 PM
The room appears empty. There are dozens of crates and cages, all with their doors flung wide open, their contents nowhere to be seen.

You turn around to relate what you see to the bard, but you are interrupted by a soft *crack* of bone followed by a soft slurping sound coming from the far end of the room, presumably from behind a pile of crates.

Shadow_Elf
2010-07-18, 01:10 PM
Eleanora

Presumably hearing the same slurping sound that Ryltar did, but not knowing it source, Eleanora pulls out her rapier and buckler and prepares for combat. Whatever that gross thing is back there, we should lure it out into the open so I can save my sunrod, she suggests, ready to fight. Her eyes glaze over for a moment, and she assumes a street duelist's posture, instead of her typical Eladrin fencing stance. I'm not sure exactly how we came here, but if that slurping monster comes out here, it shall feel the sting of the Red Lily's blade, she thinks to herself.

Maharrg
2010-07-18, 01:17 PM
Ryltar

whispering "I'll try and get a closer look" he attempts to slip into the room without arousing the creatures attention. If he does he will quickly dash to the protection of rapier wielding half-elf

Acrobatics: [roll2] dodge and get back outside if I'm seen

Jokes
2010-07-18, 08:17 PM
You slip quietly into the dark, tip-toeing toward the sound. You peer around the pile of crates and see a man, his back toward you, wearing a drab gray suit. He is stooped over the corpse of another drow, holding half the body up while the legs splay out in an increasing pool of blood. He appears to be chewing on the drow's head, making the strange sucking noise.

Maharrg
2010-07-18, 11:28 PM
Ryltar

The Drow sees one of his own being devoured and panics. He launches a blast of cold at the beast and tries to push it away. He then runs back out the door and cowers behind Eleanora. "Its horrific and I think it coming...."

Not sure of the game mechanics but here goes:

Standard: Dragon Frost V Fort +2 surprise? [roll]1d8+14 cold and push 1
Move: Back out the door.
Minor: whimper

Jokes
2010-07-22, 01:01 AM
You blast the creature, forcing it to drop it's meal and regain it's footing. It turns to face you, blood dripping from its... tentacles?

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/jokersmods/Maps/Asylum/mindflayer1.jpg

"Ah, more meals." The voice doesn't seem to be coming from the creature, but rather it echoes in your mind.

Map (http://www.editgrid.com/user/jokes/Asylum_fights)

Roll some initiatives. Maharrg, reroll your damage.

[roll0]

Maharrg
2010-07-22, 08:19 AM
[roll0] cold
Initiative - [roll1]

Shadow_Elf
2010-07-23, 11:12 AM
Damn, what is that thing? thinks Red. Suddenly, another voice intrudes on her brain. It is an aberration, thief, and it shall die by my blade! Corellon's might shall smite this affront to beauty! As Caelan comes to the surface, another voice interrupts the mental argument. Aha! So, this explains some things... Neither of you are getting my body, and neither are any of the other ones I may or may not know about. Feel free to give me some advice, but this is my body and I'll do what I have to.

((From now on, Eleanora's alternate personalities speak only to her, in her head. She's had some sort of epiphany in the face of the illithid's psychic powers, or something. I was just tired of having to justify why Caelan and Red were not turning on the others, since one is mean and the other is self-righteous.))

Inish: [roll0]
Perception: [roll2]

Jokes
2010-07-23, 12:07 PM
The Illithid stalks calmly toward you, if it had a mouth it would seem to be smiling. It pauses directly in front of you and the room turns silent. Until that slight ringing in your ear increases in pitch and it begins encompassing your whole mind.

Close Blast 5
[roll0] vs Will
[roll1] vs Will
[roll2] psychic damage and dazed (save ends). Miss: Half Damage (7 psychic) and not dazed. If you are dazed, the Illithid is invisible to you. Also remember the room is dark, so only Ryltar can see further than where the doorway lets in light.

Shadow_Elf
2010-07-23, 12:55 PM
Heya, tentacle face, taste this! Eleanora channels Caelan's powers to draw the ire of the mind flayer away from Ryltar. Then she runs up and bops it on the head with her signature move, a feint and then a devastating attack.

Minor Action: Divine Challenge on the Illithid
Move Action: Walk to N6
Standard Action: Practiced Dilettante (Sly Flourish)

Attack:
[roll0] vs. AC

Maharrg
2010-07-23, 01:07 PM
Ryltar

Frightened and dazed Ryltar taps into the power of his amulet. Shaking off the daze. He blast the creature with Darkfire. Then fighting the urge run fires bolts of demon souls at the monstrosity

Minor: Periapt of Cascading Health. Power (Encounter): Minor Action. You end one condition that a save can end.
Minor: Darkfire V. Ref [roll0] Uent all attacks against the target have CA. Target cannot benefit from invisibility or concealment. +2 to the following attacks if hit
Standard: Demon Soul-Bolts V Fort [roll1] [roll2] Thunder and slide to O6 into the light.
Effect: Make the attack two more times
Demon Soul-Bolts V Fort [roll3] [roll4]
Demon Soul-Bolts V Fort [roll5] [roll6]

HP: 56/73
Surges: 3/6

Encounter
ACTION POINT
Second Wind
Cloud of Darkness
Darkfire
Ray of the Moon
Swirling Stars
Demon-Soul Bolts
Blazing Bolts
Fog Form
Spatial Trip
Fate's Chaos

Daily
Blinding Bolt
Season's Malaise
Palest Flames

Jokes
2010-07-23, 01:27 PM
The Illithid easily ducks under Eleanora's sword as she swings, but is hit twice by Ryltars bolts. "Tentacle Face? Oh, all the better to eat you with." The mind flayer's tentacles writhe and try to attach themselves to Eleanora's head.

Darkfire is also a miss.

[roll0] vs AC
[roll1] damage and you are grabbed (until escape)

Shadow_Elf
2010-07-23, 04:55 PM
Eleanora deftly sidesteps its squiggly beard of doom. Give him another of your signature strokes, Red... I mean, Ellie, comes Red Lily's disembodied, confused voice in her head. Eleanora nods her agreement, and grunts "Sounds like a plan" under her breath, probably to the confusion of the illithid.

Standard Action: Sly Flourish on the Illithid.

Maharrg
2010-07-24, 02:09 PM
Ryltar

Trying to give his eccentric companion aid he levels his staff and cold moonlight leaps from it a bathes the creature in cold light.

Standard: Ray of the moon V. Will [roll0] [roll1] cold and cannot shift, and -1 to attack rolls until end of its next turn.

HP: 56/73

Encounter
ACTION POINT
Second Wind
Cloud of Darkness
Darkfire
Ray of the Moon
Swirling Stars
Demon-Soul Bolts
Blazing Bolts
Fog Form
Spatial Trip
Fate's Chaos

Daily
Blinding Bolt
Season's Malaise
Palest Flames

Jokes
2010-07-24, 10:39 PM
The illithid is hit by your attacks, but still continues fighting. It moves to line up it's mind blast again, allowing Eleanora to strike at it.

Move: N5 (provokes AoO)
Standard: Mind Blast, close blast 5
[roll0] vs Will *hit*
[roll1] vs Will *Miss*
[roll2] psychic damage and dazed (save ends).
Miss: Half Damage, no stun.

Shadow_Elf
2010-07-25, 05:03 PM
Eleanora swipes at the illithid with her vicious signature move as it steps away. Then, she channels the power of her Periapt to dismiss the mental effects of the illithid's nauseating attack. She slips forward to pin the mind flayer between herself and the crate. That's it, soldier. Tactical positioning is key. Hit em' where it hurts! Great, my own imaginings are patronizing me...

AoO: Sly Flourish
Minor Action: Periapt of Cascading Health, dismiss Dazed
Move Action: Shift to O5
Standard Action: Sly Flourish

AoO: [roll0] vs. AC

Standard Action: [roll2] vs. AC
Hit: [roll3] damage.

Maharrg
2010-07-26, 01:35 PM
Ryltar

Hoping to shift the tide of battle he taps into his stronger abilities

Standard: Blinding Bolt V. Ref [roll0] [roll1] radiant and blinded UENT. When blind ends target then treats each creature more than 5 squares away as having concealment (save ends)
Miss: half damage and UENT creature more than 5 squares away has concealment
Move: back 1 to N12

HP: 52/73

Encounter
ACTION POINT
Second Wind
Cloud of Darkness
Darkfire
Ray of the Moon
Swirling Stars
Blazing Soul Bolts
Fog Form
Spatial Trip
Fate's Chaos

Daily
Blinding Bolt
Season's Malaise
Palest Flames

Jokes
2010-07-27, 03:56 AM
The mind flayer reels back from Ryltar's attack. He holds his hands over his eyes a moment, but you suddenly feel a sound in your mind, slowly growing in intensity. He's laughing. "You think you have me beat? Maybe... I was hoping I wouldn't have to share you." There is silence, then a rustling from somewhere in the room and a shadow leaps atop a crate. It makes a high pitch call and is answered by another creature further back.

The illithid lunges at where Eleanora was, hoping again wrap his tentacles around her head.

The creature's call rises to an ear piercing pitch, directed at Eleanora. While you can only make out the silhouette of one creature, you are certain there is at least one more in the room.

Illithid
vs AC
[roll1] and grabbed (until escape)

Creature 1 (atop crates, 5ft higher)
[roll2] vs Reflex
[roll3] thunder damage.

Maharrg
2010-07-27, 11:20 PM
I'll delay until the bottom of the round.
If they hit him Ryltar will use Instinctive Darkness.

Jokes
2010-07-28, 11:49 AM
Dungeoneering checks may be helpful :smallwink:

Maharrg
2010-07-28, 02:01 PM
Dungeoneering- [roll0]

Shadow_Elf
2010-07-28, 03:28 PM
C'mon gal, you're better'n that! Get up! comes the voice of Sandra in her head. Renewed with energy, she slips next to the illithid, still entangled, and tries to break free. Then she gives it a good smack in the face with her rapier.

Minor Action: Majestic Word. Regain [roll0] HP and get slid to N6.
Move Action: Escape attempt.
Standard Action: Sly Flourish, again.

Escape: [roll1] acrobatics vs. Illithid's reflex
Sly Flourish: [roll2] vs. AC
Hit: [roll3] damage.

Jokes
2010-07-28, 10:08 PM
The tentacles hold tight around Eleanora's head, and she fails to escape. The Illithid grabs her sword arm as she attacks, the flayer whispering into her mind. "Shhh, we are both going to enjoy this."

[I've updated the initiatives on the Map (http://www.editgrid.com/user/jokes/Asylum_fights) (I was lazy :smallredface:), just so you know, Ryltar should take his turn now, otherwise he'll be wasting a round by delaying.]

Maharrg
2010-07-29, 10:18 AM
Ryltar

Trying to break his companion free of the tentacle faced beast, Ryltar blasts it with a force of cold.

Used a daily power so I switch to Phase of Stars: Whenever an enemy's attack misses you, you can teleport 3 squares as a free action. You also gain resist 10 radiant, +2 feat bonus to Insight checks and Perception checks. Hit with an at will: You become insubstantial uent or until you are hit by an attack.

Standard: Dragon Frost on the Illithid V. Fort [roll0] [roll1] cold and push 1.
grrr a 1!!!

HP: 52/73

Encounter
ACTION POINT
Second Wind
Cloud of Darkness
Darkfire
Ray of the Moon
Swirling Stars
Blazing Soul Bolts
Fog Form
Spatial Trip
Fate's Chaos

Daily
Blinding Bolt
Season's Malaise
Palest Flames

Maharrg
2010-07-29, 10:20 AM
[use my move action as another check?]
Dungeoneering - [roll0] oh jeez the random gods hate me today

Jokes
2010-07-29, 10:54 AM
Eleanora feels something sharp at the back of her skull, tearing through flesh as the illithid laughs in her mind.

The creature on the crates leaps down behind the illithid, and blasts the pair of you with a thunderous pulse.

Another creature comes into view in the doorway ahead of Ryltar. It lowers its head, then rears back and fires a pulse of thunder at the drow.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/jokersmods/destrachan1.jpg

Illithid-
[roll0] vs Fort
[roll1] and you are dazed (save ends)

Creature 1-
[roll2] vs Fort
[roll3]
[roll4] thunder damage and dazed (save ends).

Creature 2-
[roll5] vs Reflex
[roll6] thunder damage.

You can't re-roll knowledge checks, you either know or you don't. However, because you are working on just the sound the creature made, you do get to roll again when you can actually see one. Also, I had to move Eleanora back to where she was because she's all immobilised.

Shadow_Elf
2010-07-29, 11:00 AM
((It was a slide from an effect (force movement), not a shift.))

Eleanora will hope that Ryltar can disengage her, and delay her turn until after his. EDIT: Damn, cannot delay when dazed. Turn, limited as it may be, will be up in a sec.

Shadow_Elf
2010-07-29, 11:09 AM
You can't eat my brains that easily! laughs Eleanora, as the tentacles fail to hurt her at all. She stops laughing when the sound wave hits her, though. This is not a good situation, kiddo. Grab the Drow and leave as soon as you can, comes Red Lily's voice in her head. Eleanora just shouts and smacks the illithid over the head again.

Standard Action: Sly Flourish @ the illithid

Saving throw vs. Dazed: [roll2]

Dungeoneering @ Squidface: [roll3]
Dungeoneering @ Sound: [roll4]
Dungeoneering @ Loud Creatures once visible: [roll5]

Jokes
2010-07-29, 11:13 AM
((It was a slide from an effect (force movement), not a shift.))

Huh, thought grabbing would make you restrained, but seems it's just immobilised. I'll edit the map to account for this.

The creature is a Destrachan, a blind abberation that stalks dark dungeons using it's other senses to hunt prey. They are adept vocalists, often imitating sounds they hear often in an attempt to lure prey in.

Can I also get Insight checks from you both?

Maharrg
2010-07-29, 01:35 PM
Ryltar

Covering his ears from the deafening bellow. Ryltar casts a vortex of swilling starts right next to "tentacle face"

Standard: Swilling Stars V. Ref burst 1 on N4
On Illithid [roll0]
On Destrachan 1 [roll1]
[roll2] cold and thunder

Insight-[roll3]

HP: 41/73

Encounter
ACTION POINT
Second Wind
Cloud of Darkness
Darkfire
Ray of the Moon
Swirling Stars
Blazing Soul Bolts
Fog Form
Spatial Trip
Fate's Chaos

Daily
Blinding Bolt
Season's Malaise
Palest Flames

Jokes
2010-07-30, 02:39 AM
@Ryltar
You get a niggling feeling worming through your mind, something that doesn't sit right. Your mind keeps backtracking to the Warden's office. What was it?

Maharrg
2010-07-30, 02:01 PM
hmm..the papers..was Illithid among the creatures brought into the Asylum? Do I recognize the Illithid voice as the warden's? Does he wear pants? heh

Jokes
2010-07-30, 10:05 PM
hmm..the papers..was Illithid among the creatures brought into the Asylum? Do I recognize the Illithid voice as the warden's? Does he wear pants? heh
Roll an Int or Wis check to figure if Illithid was on the list. It's impossible to tell if the voices are similar, telepathy isn't restricted to sounds normal vocalisations have.

The Illithid is indeed wearing pants.

Maharrg
2010-07-31, 08:52 AM
int check - [roll0] <--im pretty!

Jokes
2010-07-31, 09:42 AM
You cannot recall if there was anything Illithid or the like on the shipping manifests.

Jokes
2010-08-22, 11:18 PM
The illithid again tries to bore into Eleanora's skull, hoping to get to the sweet nectar inside. One Destrachan claws at the bard, while the other shrieks at Ryltar.

Illthid:
[roll0] vs Fort
[roll1] and E is dazed (save ends)

Destrachan 1:
[roll2] vs AC
[roll3]

Destrachan 2:
[roll4] vs Fort
[roll5] thunder damage and dazed (save ends)

Shadow_Elf
2010-08-24, 05:29 PM
You die now, aberrant scumbag! shouts the bard out loud. In her mind, the elven paladin's voice echoes. 'Atta girl! Show that monstrosity who's boss. You've got the majesty of Corellon in ya, lass. Use it!

She slips next to the wall again, and then lets loose a resounding thunder-roar of her own.
KIAI!

Move Action: Shift to O5
Standard Action: Shout of Triumph

Attacks:
vs. Squidface: [roll0] vs. Fortitude
vs. Destrachan: [roll1] vs. Fortitude

Hit: [roll2] thunder damage. On a hit, target is also pushed 4 squares (Illithid to J6, Destrachan to I4).

Do we have an action point, since we did some RP encounters since our last fight with the Roper? If so, I may use it to charge the illithid if my push succeeds.

Jokes
2010-08-24, 05:58 PM
[Eleanora is still immobilised]

Shadow_Elf
2010-08-24, 08:03 PM
((Then no shift, and the Destrachan gets +2 to Fort against the attack due to cover. And they are pushed towards the back of the room, Illithid to N2 and Destrachan to M2. Sorry. I may add more to my turn depending on whether my pushes work.))

Jokes
2010-08-25, 03:59 AM
Both Illithid and Destrachan are blown backward, the Illithid tries to hold on to Eleanora but is forced to let go. The destrachan doesn't appear to be otherwise phased by the attack. [Resists 10 Thunder]

[Yeah, have a free action point, go nuts :smallwink:]

Maharrg
2010-08-25, 10:13 AM
Ryltar

Covering his ears from the thundering blast he becomes like a ghost. Dazed he takes aim at the tentacle being again.

Immediate Interrupt: Fog Form
Effect: become insubstantial uent
Standard: Palest Flames on Illithid V. Ref [roll0] [roll1] Fire and gain venerable 10 cold (save ends)
Miss: half damage venerable 5 cold UENT
Action Point
Standard: Dragon Frost on Illithid V. Fort [roll2] [roll3]

Save : dazed [roll4]

HP: 35/73 (bloodied)

Encounter
ACTION POINT
Second Wind
Cloud of Darkness
Darkfire
Ray of the Moon
Swirling Stars
Blazing Soul Bolts
Fog Form
Spatial Trip
Fate's Chaos

Daily
Blinding Bolt
Season's Malaise
Palest Flames

Shadow_Elf
2010-08-25, 05:43 PM
((This all takes place before Ryltar's turn))

Hang in there, Ryltar! We've got him on the ropes, I think. CHAAAARGE!

Minor Action: Majestic Word on Ryltar. Heal your surge value + [roll0] HP and get a free 1 sq. slide.
Action Point!
Standard Action: Charge to N3! Sly Flourish on the Illithid

Sly Flourish Charge:
[roll1] vs. AC
Hit: [roll2] damage.

Jokes
2010-08-25, 06:48 PM
[You already used Effortless Dilettante to make an opportunity attack this encounter. Which I'm assuming is what you are using to charge with sly flourish.]

Shadow_Elf
2010-08-25, 06:52 PM
((Oh, didn't realize it was only 1/encounter. That misreading on my part makes my whole build kinda invalidated, and that feat pretty terrible, since I am focused around getting as many free/good basic attacks as I can to use Sly Flourish a whole bunch :smallannoyed:. Oh well, I still have a move action, so I will just move and attack with sly flourish anyway. Subtract 1 from the roll to attack, I guess.))

Jokes
2010-08-26, 06:53 AM
Eleanora's sword sings through the air as she slices off a pair of the illithid's tentacles. The mind flayer seems truly upset now, but it's short lived, as Ryltar's first spell is enough to bring the creature to it's knees. It coughs, blood dripping from its jaws, then falls flat on its face.

The two destrachans don't seem put off. More for them.

Ryltar can keep his action point, the second attack wasn't needed.
Destrachan 1
[roll0] vs Fort
[roll1] thunder damage and dazed (save ends).

Destrachan 2
[roll2] vs Ref
[roll3] thunder damage.

Shadow_Elf
2010-08-26, 09:42 PM
You'll pay for that!

Standard Action: Sly Flourish @ the Destrachan.

Saving Throws: [roll2] vs. Dazed

Maharrg
2010-09-05, 07:27 PM
Ryltar

Feeling invigorated from Eleanora's healing he shift back and readies to attack again. He is then deafened again by the beastie. Dazed he blasts it with one of his oldest, and coldest spells. "These things are quite annoying!" he shouts to his bardic companion

Free: Slide back one
Standard: Dragon Frost V. Fort on D2 [rol]1d8+14 cold and push one into the room N7

Save : dazed [roll1]

HP: 60/73

Encounter
ACTION POINT
Second Wind
Cloud of Darkness
Darkfire
Ray of the Moon
Swirling Stars
Blazing Soul Bolts
Fog Form