PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Quick Break Enchantment

koeldflare
2010-04-04, 09:10 PM
Quick question for you guys, and hopefully it's an easy one.

I need some way to be able to get a break enchantment spell cast in a lot less time then the standard spell is cast as. 10 minutes is not going to cut it in the situation I need it for. I thought there was an invocation for either Warlocks or Dragonfire Adepts that let them cast it as a standard, although it become range touch, but I can't seem to find it.

Any and all help with finding a way to reduce the speed is helpful, but try not to go too crazy. Lets not go Planar Shephard time shennanigans here.

-Koeldflare

Keld Denar
2010-04-04, 09:12 PM
SpC has a 6th level spell called Ruby Ray of Reversal that should do the trick, along with a half a dozen other things.

Well, it doesn't work for EVERY use of Break Enchantment, but it does undo petrification and baleful polymorph, 2 of the main reasons to use it in combat. If you are decursing an item, you can generally afford the 10 min casting time.

Douglas
2010-04-04, 09:31 PM
Break Enchantment's casting time is 1 minute, not 10 minutes.

Limited Wish can do it as a standard action. Rapid Spell metamagic from Complete Divine would reduce it to 1 full round, provided you're reasonably flexible about the "measured in X" phrasing that would, RAW, make the feat have no effect whatsoever on a casting time of 1 minute.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-04, 10:13 PM
Will Remove Curse do the job? There's a lot of overlap, and the casting time is just 1 standard action.

deuxhero
2010-04-04, 10:19 PM
Scrolls are always a standard action to use, so there is an option if you have prep time.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-04, 11:12 PM
Scrolls are always a standard action to use, so there is an option if you have prep time.
That's not the case. Rules Compendium made everything match.
Activating a scroll takes the same amount of time as the casting time of the spell stored on the scroll and provokes attacks of opportunity as spellcasting does.

Optimystik
2010-04-04, 11:18 PM
I thought there was an invocation for either Warlocks or Dragonfire Adepts that let them cast it as a standard, although it become range touch, but I can't seem to find it.

It's in Complete Mage, and it's for Warlocks. Caster's Lament.

Unfortunately, it's a Dark Invocation, and not a terribly useful one at that :smallsigh: There are better uses for your very limited DI slots.

deuxhero
2010-04-05, 10:33 AM
That's not the case. Rules Compendium made everything match.

The fact that it is errata you have to pay for and it breaks an OotS plot make me lean to ignoring it.

RagnaroksChosen
2010-04-05, 10:38 AM
The fact that it is errata you have to pay for and it breaks an OotS plot make me lean to ignoring it.

wasn't the rules compendium just the normal erratta in book form for easy look ups?

Like i didn't think there was any thing new it just the updated rules in a book.

El Dorado
2010-04-05, 10:42 AM
A bard gets a single target break enchantment at 12th level (song of freedom). If he has a harmonizing weapon, he doesn't even need to concentrate after casting it.

Not at all helpful but it just occurred to me.

lesser_minion
2010-04-05, 10:47 AM
Doesn't Greater Dispel Magic have the ability to undo harm that can be reversed by Break Enchantment?

EDIT: No, it looks like it got nerfed by the update so that it only works on effects that Remove Curse can remove.

Also:

However, the casting time of a spell is the time required to activate the same power in an item, regardless of the type of magic item

This overrides the "casting a spell from a spell completion item is a standard action" line.

Starbuck_II
2010-04-05, 11:11 AM
Quick question for you guys, and hopefully it's an easy one.

I need some way to be able to get a break enchantment spell cast in a lot less time then the standard spell is cast as. 10 minutes is not going to cut it in the situation I need it for. I thought there was an invocation for either Warlocks or Dragonfire Adepts that let them cast it as a standard, although it become range touch, but I can't seem to find it.

Any and all help with finding a way to reduce the speed is helpful, but try not to go too crazy. Lets not go Planar Shephard time shennanigans here.

-Koeldflare

Apply Rapid Spell metamagic?

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-04-05, 11:22 AM
wasn't the rules compendium just the normal erratta in book form for easy look ups?
It included the normal errata. But it also introduced new errata that was never included in free errata sheets.

It’s not the first book to do this, either. Spell Compendium and Complete Psionic are two books that stand out in my mind for pulling the same trick.

deuxhero
2010-04-05, 06:52 PM
This overrides the "casting a spell from a spell completion item is a standard action" line.

Rules for the action using a scroll specifically trumps the general rules for magic item use.

lesser_minion
2010-04-05, 07:24 PM
Rules for the action using a scroll specifically trumps the general rules for magic item use.

Note which one takes the other into account.

The general rule for magic items is that it's a standard action. The specific (hence, overriding) rule for magic items that cast spells is that it takes as long as the spell.

It's specific as in 'specific to the case at hand', not specific as in 'under a lower-level heading'.

Glimbur
2010-04-05, 08:08 PM
Just cast a Disjunction.

deuxhero
2010-04-06, 08:00 AM
Note which one takes the other into account.

The general rule for magic items is that it's a standard action. The specific (hence, overriding) rule for magic items that cast spells is that it takes as long as the spell.

It's specific as in 'specific to the case at hand', not specific as in 'under a lower-level heading'.

This is the activation method for scrolls. A scroll is a spell that is mostly finished. The preparation is done for the caster, so no preparation time is needed beforehand as with normal spellcasting. All that’s left to do is perform the finishing parts of the spellcasting (the final gestures, words, and so on). To use a spell completion item safely, a character must be of high enough level in the right class to cast the spell already. If he can’t already cast the spell, there’s a chance he’ll make a mistake. Activating a spell completion item is a standard action and provokes attacks of opportunity exactly as casting a spell does.

Where is "However, the casting time of a spell is the time required to activate the same power in an item, regardless of the type of magic item " from anyways?

Optimystik
2010-04-06, 08:19 AM
Just cast a Disjunction.

You must really hate the poor guy.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-06, 01:07 PM
Where is "However, the casting time of a spell is the time required to activate the same power in an item, regardless of the type of magic item " from anyways?
Dungeon Master's Guide, page 213, under the heading of "USING ITEMS".

jiriku
2010-04-06, 01:14 PM
The dweomerkeeper class, from the Complete Divine web enhancement, would allow you to cast the spell as a spell-like ability, reducing its casting time to a single standard action. Dweomerkeeper advances either divine or arcane spellcasting, so most any sort of base caster can benefit from the class.

Doh.

Douglas
2010-04-06, 01:28 PM
The dweomerkeeper class, from the Complete Divine web enhancement, would allow you to cast the spell as a spell-like ability, reducing its casting time to a single standard action. Dweomerkeeper advances either divine or arcane spellcasting, so most any sort of base caster can benefit from the class.
It's a supernatural ability, actually, and it requires that the spell already have a casting time of a standard action or less so it doesn't help.

Sinfire Titan
2010-04-06, 01:45 PM
Limited Wish could do it.

Uncanny Forethought does it as a Full Round action by RAW.

Combining Arcane Spellsurge with Rapid Spell cuts the casting time from one minute to 2 rounds.