PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e] A Log of My First Time DMing

UCDPride
2010-04-05, 12:05 AM
Hello there weary traveler!
Herein lies the "journal" of my first campaign as a DM. Though I have played a variant 3.5 campaign for the last 2 years, the art of DMing is still new to me! Therefore, I am recording my experiences in the hope that future retrospection will aid in analysis of what I am doing wrong and right. Criticism (constructive) is always a plus, especially from experienced players/DMs.

My World: Triskelium, a world consisting of three main continents with a central island that has long been rumored to be the source of a tremendous power, one that might be responsible for the creation of the world itself!

A. Continents: There are three approximately equal sized continents in the world that spread out from the central island in accordance with the triskelium symbol (see Isle of Mann for real world reference to symbol). In no particular order, let me begin on the subject of Ustengar!

I. Ustengar: the prototypical human continent consisting of three sister cities: Eistal in the subartic region, Bruckehaus connecting two main waterways in the temperate region, and Flussgard lying at the intersection of a vast jungle tributary system. Between these expansive and powerful cities lies vast regions inhabited by peasants and their farms. This continent took a drastic turn 200-300 years prior to current time when the various religious orders banded together to exterminate and push out the Mage Guilds who had become abusive of their power and skill.

a. Cities: The rule of the cities follows the same general format: a house of founders and a council of the Church. These two councils function independently and can see be equated to the English House of Lords and American Supreme Court respectively. Without going into the particulars, it can be safely said that each ruling body keeps a close eye on the other for corruption to ensure the continuity of success seen in the respective city. The specific functions of the councils are simple, the house of founders oversees the regulation of trade and social concerns while the council of the church oversees the continuing suppression of arcane development. Jointly, they maintain a trained army. Beyond the functionality of the city's political system is the relationships of the three cities to one another. The primary ties are that off interdependence. Eistal provides precious ore, timber, and fish in exchange for grain and clothing fiber from Bruckehaus. Bruckehaus uses its connection to Eistal to export ore and timber to Flussgard which is the main trading port between the other continents. However, the cities' ties to the power and protection of the church have created a greater sense of connection and community between the cities whereby rivalry and strife is infrequent and often not worthwhile.

b. Rural Areas: As mentioned above, the vast regions between the cities have created the opportunity for the mass cultivation of two key land segments on Ustengar. Primarily, the Golden Plains between Flussgard and Bruckehaus (approximately 400 miles wide and 300 miles in length) has provided conditions for the farming of grains and raising of herds. Equal in importance are the Mountain ranges and respective temperate zones that occupy an equivalent amount of space between Eistal and Bruckehaus. The mountains provide a great deal of ore and the temperate zones are a vital supply of good timber for the rest of the continent. Throughout these two zones, a great many villages and towns have sprung up as centers of trade for farmers and herdsmen to exchange their goods for necessary tools or items of luxury.

c. Populace: Ustengar is populated by close to 70% humans, 20% dwarves, 5% gnomes, and the occasional elf, half-elf or even half-orc. As mentioned above, The Great Purge effectively removed most of the arcane influence on Ustengar. Elves, sensing the upcoming minority cleansing, left the continent in droves given that their magical nature would surely be a red flag to Church armies. Gnomes were also encouraged to leave though many remained resulting in a sizable thinning of gnomish citizenry based on their magical nature. Dwarves, inherently untrusting of arcane art, continued their lives as ever.

(edit note: I have split up a discussion of each continent into different sections for organizational purposes)

UCDPride2
2010-04-07, 10:33 PM
I'm one of other players in UCDPride's game in addition to being arbitrarily tertiary co-DM (arbitrary because there is no secondary). I wrote a short character background for my half-orc Barbarian Uzruk that might give you a better idea of what the world looks like on the ground. So at my DMs request I thought I'd post it. The writer is a mysterious chronicler because my character, like most Barbarians, is now and will for the foreseeable future be illiterate.

I am unsure if the life of Uzruk the half-orc will prove to be worthy of the paper and ink that I now dedicate to it. The troubled nature of Uzruk's early life is indicative of the misfortune that often befalls those of his kind's dichotomous parentage. However, from the beginning Uzruk has shown not only the hardiness of body and spirit required to weather these challenges, but the knowledge of self and surroundings to learn from his experiences, and thereby grow into a person of rich character and iron principle, avoiding the slavery to rage and greed that so often plagues one of his ancestors, as well as the lust for power that plagues the other. Indeed, my subject's story seems to prove that chance and personal strength can forge from the lowliest origins one who in the face of fate's battering assaults displays the nobility of kings.

Uzruk was born of human mother and orcish father. His father was the commander of a minor raiding party which plagued the small coastal town of southern Ustengar for almost three years. In the fall, Uzruk's father and his party happened upon one of the humble harvest festivals typical of that region and proceeded to soak the happy day with pillaging and murder. Taken from her parents, Uzruk's mother is said to have drawn a dagger and scarred Uzruk's father's chest, overcome with the combination of lust and rage typical of orcish males, he forced himself on her. 7 months later, the shortened term being one of the peculiarities of the abnormal coupling, Uzruk was born to a dying mother locked in a remote cave. In an oddity of chance, Uzruk's maternal grandfather was a thief and adventurer of some note, and soon after his birth, he stole into the orc's hideout while Uzruk's father was away and stole the boy. Raised to the age of seven by his grandfather, Uzruk learned of human society and it's failings, his grandfather's wild ways mirroring his own inability to find a place. Sometime in that year Uzruk's quiet life was interrupted by his father, who killed his grandfather and put their home to the torch. The creature did not get far, however, before he was found and slain by an overdue knight of Ustengari law. Finding Uzruk even more disgusting than his captors, but unable to kill him due to his youth, the knight dragged him to a naval vessel of the confederated navy of Ustengar and sold him as a galley slave. For the next seven years, Uzruk rowed the vessels of the navy and found something like a place in human society. He was given praise and reward for his strength, and began to feel camaraderie toward his fellow soldiers. Though chained to his oar, he saw the dirty side of war, and slowly began to enjoy the thunder of the ram speed drums and the creak of the ship's speeding timbers. It is no surprise that during this time Uzruk first tapped into the bloody rage of his ancient heritage, and became famous for performing impossible feats of strength when the need was most dire. All too soon, Uzruk's ship was decommissioned following the establishment of an uneasy truce between the lands of his father and mother. Rather than being released, Uzruk and the fleet's other galley slaves were sold to commercial vessels in order to offset some of the cost of the war. Up to this point, Uzruk's chains had only been an occasional nuisance, but the harsh conditions and poor treatment of slaves on trade vessels made his chains into a constant reminder of his honorless existence for someone else's profit. Kept in darkness and near starvation for over a year, Uzruk's ship was taken apart for timber and the slaves were released before he could make his escape. Faced with freedom for the first time in his adult life, Uzruk resolved that he would die before he was again chained to another's whim. To maintain his independence and improve his situation, he went into business with a fellow sailor as an adventurer and warrior for hire.

It is unclear whether Uzruk will succumb to his father's ways in the face of freedom, or rise to find a place in civilization. Most likely though, he will struggle his whole life to live with his own duality, and will never find a perfect place anywhere except on the road.

UCDPride
2010-04-08, 01:01 AM
II. Tazen'Kan: the realm of hobgolins and their orcish and goblinoid slaves. The cities of Tazen'Kan are said to spread past comprehension. The militaristic nature of Hobgoblins was finally brought under control by the Great Hobgoblin Council of Elders a thousand years preceding current time. Additionally, a clan of fire giants makes the coastal mountain ranges of Southern Tazen'kan home.

a. Cities: The main urban center and capital of the hobgoblin empire is the city of Barga'tyun. With an estimated population more than 100,000 humanoids, this city holds the title of the largest city in all of Triskelium. Its immense size is a result of its importance in the political and military arenas. The primary ruling body of elders, three representatives from each of the nine great tribes, calls Barga'tyun their home for most of the year. The ruling elders oversee the appointment and operations of high level commanders of the hobgoblin military forces. In fact, the whole of the city is devoted to the maintenance of the expansive hobgoblin army. To the West of Barga'tyun lies the city of Gubyulen. With a population of approximately 50,000 humanoids, this city lies at the forefront of controlling the distribution of goods produced on the continent. Despite traditional views, the hobgoblin society is highly involved in supplying their war machine and, as such, has expansive "slave" labor in vast agricultural areas to raise enough supplies for the ever active military. The two cities each have trade connections to the Corsgar fire giant clan in the southern ring of mountains and islands of the continent. Although the hobgoblins are in firm control of the continent, they do share and work in harmony with the Corsgar clan of fire giants. The critical exchange of goods is food, alcohol, and fiber (for clothing) from the agricultural fields of the flat lands for metals both forged and unforged from the mountainous fire giants.

b. Rural Areas: The entirety of Tazen’Kan’s perimeter is lined with great watchtowers of hewn stone with smaller, wooden barracks surrounding each tower. These outposts are strategically located at the mouths of rivers, the peaks of peninsulas, and the openings of channels. Beyond this defensive shell lie vast plantations devoted to the production of food stuffs. These plantations are run by the sweat of goblins and orcs who are overseen by hobgoblin commanders. The origin of these organized farms is the original tribal lands of the hobgoblins; therefore it is understandable that hobgoblin command of plantations is assigned along tribal lines out of respect for tradition. The use and distribution of resources are carefully overseen by hobgoblin shaman and magi to ensure the continued success of the Tazen’kani Empire.

c. Populace: The percentages for humanoid creatures are as follows: 40% goblin, 30% orc, 20% hobgoblin, and 10% fire giant. Given the relatively low hobgoblin population, it is particularly impressive that they have maintained such a tight grip on power over the other 70% of population. This maintenance of power is based on the society’s focus on war and tradition which has kept the goblins and orcs in a position of weakness and reliance. Beyond this it is worthy to note that the hobgoblins extensively used shamanistic and arcane magic to help maintain their power and control their populace.

UCDPride
2010-04-08, 01:02 AM
III. Odes'Lem: this continent is the current home of the elves. Before the migration of the elves, this land was primal and raw without the presence of any organized/intelligent life. In respect of nature, the elves seamlessly integrated into the continent's environments and have established a vast network that can only be describe as a loosely connected city spanning the entirety of the continent.

UCDPride
2010-04-08, 01:06 AM
I'm one of other players in UCDPride's game in addition to being arbitrarily tertiary co-DM (arbitrary because there is no secondary). I wrote a short character background for my half-orc Barbarian Uzruk that might give you a better idea of what the world looks like on the ground. So at my DMs request I thought I'd post it. The writer is a mysterious chronicler because my character, like most Barbarians, is now and will for the foreseeable future be illiterate.

I am unsure if the life of Uzruk the half-orc will prove to be worthy of the paper and ink that I now dedicate to it. The troubled nature of Uzruk's early life is indicative of the misfortune that often befalls those of his kind's dichotomous parentage. However, from the beginning Uzruk has shown not only the hardiness of body and spirit required to weather these challenges, but the knowledge of self and surroundings to learn from his experiences, and thereby grow into a person of rich character and iron principle, avoiding the slavery to rage and greed that so often plagues one of his ancestors, as well as the lust for power that plagues the other. Indeed, my subject's story seems to prove that chance and personal strength can forge from the lowliest origins one who in the face of fate's battering assaults displays the nobility of kings.

Uzruk was born of human mother and orcish father. His father was the commander of a minor raiding party which plagued the small coastal town of southern Ustengar for almost three years. In the fall, Uzruk's father and his party happened upon one of the humble harvest festivals typical of that region and proceeded to soak the happy day with pillaging and murder. Taken from her parents, Uzruk's mother is said to have drawn a dagger and scarred Uzruk's father's chest, overcome with the combination of lust and rage typical of orcish males, he forced himself on her. 7 months later, the shortened term being one of the peculiarities of the abnormal coupling, Uzruk was born to a dying mother locked in a remote cave. In an oddity of chance, Uzruk's maternal grandfather was a thief and adventurer of some note, and soon after his birth, he stole into the orc's hideout while Uzruk's father was away and stole the boy. Raised to the age of seven by his grandfather, Uzruk learned of human society and it's failings, his grandfather's wild ways mirroring his own inability to find a place. Sometime in that year Uzruk's quiet life was interrupted by his father, who killed his grandfather and put their home to the torch. The creature did not get far, however, before he was found and slain by an overdue knight of Ustengari law. Finding Uzruk even more disgusting than his captors, but unable to kill him due to his youth, the knight dragged him to a naval vessel of the confederated navy of Ustengar and sold him as a galley slave. For the next seven years, Uzruk rowed the vessels of the navy and found something like a place in human society. He was given praise and reward for his strength, and began to feel camaraderie toward his fellow soldiers. Though chained to his oar, he saw the dirty side of war, and slowly began to enjoy the thunder of the ram speed drums and the creak of the ship's speeding timbers. It is no surprise that during this time Uzruk first tapped into the bloody rage of his ancient heritage, and became famous for performing impossible feats of strength when the need was most dire. All too soon, Uzruk's ship was decommissioned following the establishment of an uneasy truce between the lands of his father and mother. Rather than being released, Uzruk and the fleet's other galley slaves were sold to commercial vessels in order to offset some of the cost of the war. Up to this point, Uzruk's chains had only been an occasional nuisance, but the harsh conditions and poor treatment of slaves on trade vessels made his chains into a constant reminder of his honorless existence for someone else's profit. Kept in darkness and near starvation for over a year, Uzruk's ship was taken apart for timber and the slaves were released before he could make his escape. Faced with freedom for the first time in his adult life, Uzruk resolved that he would die before he was again chained to another's whim. To maintain his independence and improve his situation, he went into business with a fellow sailor as an adventurer and warrior for hire.

It is unclear whether Uzruk will succumb to his father's ways in the face of freedom, or rise to find a place in civilization. Most likely though, he will struggle his whole life to live with his own duality, and will never find a perfect place anywhere except on the road.

Damn good work! everytime i read it, the nerd inside me is pleased hehe

UCDPride2
2010-04-08, 06:45 PM
Barga'tyun...
What did I tell you about apostrophes?

This is getting out of hand.

UCDPride
2010-04-14, 11:14 AM
I just wanted to post some pictures of my what I have done on my poster sized map to give everyone an idea of what the world looks like.

Here is a world view of Triskelium:
http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af117/cabaileyritezel/Triskelium/P1010198.jpg

A view of Ustengar:
http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af117/cabaileyritezel/Triskelium/P1010199.jpg

View of Tazen'Kan:
http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af117/cabaileyritezel/Triskelium/P1010201.jpg

View of OdesLem:
http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af117/cabaileyritezel/Triskelium/P1010202.jpg

View of Center Region Xyltiram:
http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af117/cabaileyritezel/Triskelium/P1010200.jpg

Clearly, I am not quite finished yet, but so far I have spent at least eight hours working and then reworking the map.