PDA

View Full Version : Re: Gundam Battle Skirmish [Prototype Rules are up]

Vulkan
2010-04-05, 12:14 AM
I'm just posting this early just in case anyone here is from /m/ and is a complete and total troll.

Anyways I'm making a skirmish game using Gundams that takes place in
Gundam UC 0079 (wait for expansions for other years and series.)

I'm going to post the rules by the end of this week for you all to look over. This game uses actual models like for example a HG 1/144 Zaku I

Don't expect all your favorite suits in all at once.

Actions
Everything you do such as firing a weapon, charging into close combat and movement takes up a certain amount of movement described in the rules. You may repeat the same action as long as you have the remaining action points to do so. You recover your action points at the end of your opponent’s turn (if there are more than 2 players playing you recover your action points at the end of the turn of who ever went before you, if you went first then it’s whoevers turn is last.

Pose Action
Once during YOUR turn before you attack you may change the pose of your mobile suit. This cost one action and may not be done after Firing a weapon or charging into melee or while in melee.

Movement Action
Each mobile suit moves in a specific amount of inches on the table. Normal movement takes 1 of your pilot’s actions for the turn.

Boost Action
This action takes up 2 actions instead of 1 and allows the mobile suit to use its boost stat to move instead of its movement. While using a boost action you are unaffected by terrain and gain a free charge action. However if you fire a weapon while using a boost movement you get -2 to any rolls to firing a weapon.

Counter Fire Action
Once during your enemies turn if you’re mobile suit has any remaining action points on it, it may fire on one enemy that either declares fire on it or declares a charge on it. YOU MAY NOT DO THIS ON TURN ONE.

Crouching Action
As long as you don’t perform a boost action, charge action, or are in melee combat you may perform a Crouching Action (most mobile suits can do this) while in a crouching action you get get +1 to hit while firing a weapon, enemy's gets -1 to fire at you, a enemy that got into melee with you gets +4 to hit on the first turn and, you may use the Firing a Weapon action on the same weapon twice however (you will still have to pay an action point for each time you fire said weapon.)

Firing a weapon
Every weapon has two stats and in some cases its own rules. Firing a weapon takes up 1 action. Please note that you cannot fire the same weapon twice in the same turn unless the weapon has rules saying otherwise.

To measure to see if you are in range to fire you measure from the weapon you are firing. Remember if you can fire at them they can fire at you (If the range is equal or greater than the weapon you are firing.)

Hitting with a ranged attack:
Every mobile suit has a score to hit and every pilot and ranged weapon has a modifier to this the score to is in the mobile suit’s profile as “Aim” whatever the base number is, is what you need to roll equal to or above to hit your opponent (you must roll 2d6 per attack unless there are specialized rules.) For every attack that is successful to hit roll a D6 to see which part of the attack hits(See chart below)
1 Legs
2 -3 Body
4 Left arm
5 Right arm
6 Head

If the part you hit is already destroyed your attack counts as a miss unless the legs are destroyed. If that is the cast the next intact part is attacked instead.

Modifiers to hitting with a ranged attack

Boost Action: As previously stated you get -2 to hit while boosting.

Crouching Action: +1 to hit while firing a weapon, enemy's gets -1 to fire at you, a enemy that got into melee with you gets +3 to hit on the first turn and, you may use the Firing a Weapon action on the same weapon twice however (you will still have to pay an action point for each time you fire said weapon.)

From behind: If you fire a weapon at the back of your enemy you get +2 to your roll to hit

Firing at the back: If you are POSED that you may fire at a target in back of you, you get -3 to hit.

Firing at a model in cover: If a model is 50% covered from sigh it gains cover. -2 to hit

Ammo:
Certain weapons have a very limited amount of ammunition and, based on the amount of ammunition the weapon has is how many times per game it may be used. Weapons will state in their rules if they have this rule

Damaging with a ranged attack:
One a successful hit is made with a ranged attack roll 2 D6 and add it to the strength of the weapon. If this number is above the toughness then the part is damage and the amount above the toughness is how much damage the part takes till it is destroyed.

Shield Blocking:
If the enemy is equipped with a shield the shield unlike a weapon has its own health just like a part of a mobile suit. Whenever the body or arm equipped with said shield is attacked the shield will automatically count as being hit until it is destroyed.

Rules of destroyed parts
If a part is destroyed all equipment attached to that part is removed and can no longer be used or salvaged.

Head
If the head is destroyed then the amount of actions the pilot may make are halved rounded down if it is an odd number.

Arm
All equipment attached to the arm is removed. If that arm was used to hold the end of a two handed weapon then that weapon gains a modifier of -4 to hit (meaning the number of the roll is subtracted for example a roll of 12 will count as a roll of 8.)

Legs
If the legs are destroyed the movement of the mobile suit is reduced to 1 inch. All attacks against a mobile suit with destroyed legs gets +2 to hit said mobile suit.

Equipment

When you choose to purchase equipment the points of the equipment are added to your mobile suits point cost. Most mobile suits have slots to store certain equipment (this will be stated under special rules for the mobile suit.)

Dropping Equipment
At any time you may choose to remove a piece of equipment from your mobile suit. Once removed the part carrying said equipment is now free and may use a piece of slot equipment (if able to) to it. (To drop a piece equipment cost 1 action point regardless if it has a slot weapon or not.

I.E if a Zaku II may drop its Zaku Bazooka in favor to use its Heat Hawk

Weapons that use ammunition rule that have fired all they can automatically drop said weapon and switch

Zaku I Cost 25

Actions[2] Movement [8] Boost [6] Aim [8]

Leg: Toughness [8] HP [7]
Toroso: Toughness [8] HP [9]
Right Arm: Toughness [6] HP [6]
Left Arm: Toughness [7] HP [7]
Head: Toughness [5] HP [6]

Equipment:
105 machine gun

Equipment options may equip

Heat Hawk (Any Arm or can be placed aside as a backup weapon)
Zaku Bazooka (Right arm only)
Zaku I Combat Shield (Any Arm)

Special Rules:
Heat Hawk slot (legs) May store a Heat Hawk instead of equipping it to an arm
Zaku Bazooka Slot (legs) May store a Zaku Bazooka instead of equipping it to an arm

Zeon Armory

105 Machine Gun
Special Rules: There are no special rules for the 105 Machine Gun
Range: 10 inches
Strength: 5

Zaku Bazooka
Special Rules: Ammo 4
Range: 12 Inches
Strength: 7

Please note this isn't exactly playable yet... Unless you want to have a battle of a Zaku I's

Rules for creating pilots coming soon along with melee combat and other mobile suits.

Obrysii
2010-04-05, 06:13 AM
d20 Future has pretty decent mech rules.

Xallace
2010-04-05, 08:29 AM
d20 Future has pretty decent mech rules.

Respectfully disagree, d20 Future has so-so mech rules. Dragonmech has excellent, if complex, mech rules.

Now I just realized that there wasn't mention of d20 in the original post. So, Vulkan, is this going to be based on a previously established system or are you building a Gundam system from scratch?

Mulletmanalive
2010-04-05, 11:02 AM
Respectfully disagree, d20 Future has so-so mech rules. Dragonmech has excellent, if complex, mech rules.

True. I spent some time expanding those rules into something of an abomination on the completeness front for my Mecha Victoriana project. The issue with them is that Gundams have a crew of 1-3 while Dragonmech ones would need at least 12 people if they were the same scale...

For an actual system, check out the Deadlands: Great Rail Wars system. Relatively simple, i think savage worlds has an OGL attached to it and from experience, giant mechanical men work pretty well in the system as long as you don't get over excited stating up the weapons...

Vulkan
2010-04-05, 12:31 PM
I was actually going to make my own rules for creating pilots and use the warmachine rules for damaging things.

Now I just realized that there wasn't mention of d20 in the original post. So, Vulkan, is this going to be based on a previously established system or are you building a Gundam system from scratch?

For the most part aside from how to deal damage it's my own little system.

Vulkan
2010-04-05, 07:35 PM
UPDATED
Bare bone basic rules

GUNDAM BATTLE SKIRMISH
Base Rules UC 0079

Rules for creating pilots coming soon along with melee combat and other mobile suits.

Mercenary Pen
2010-04-07, 04:48 AM
You might also want to check out Attilargh's G-System (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7729239) which was another attempt at a mech combat system.

Vulkan
2010-04-07, 04:25 PM
Yeah but I'm trying to make a tabletop game using gunpla models.

Fri
2010-04-15, 12:20 PM
In other word, you want it so we can make our gunplas fight with more than simply making pew-pew and whoosing noises with our mouth :smallbiggrin:

Vulkan
2010-04-15, 12:37 PM
Exactly... Wait you do what now :smallconfused: