PDA

View Full Version : I may be going to the UK.

_Zoot_
2010-04-05, 03:15 AM
Well, may is the word,

I have an interview for a gap year position for next year at a primary school in London and I was hoping that you people from the UK could give me some advice on what I should expect if I get the spot.

For back ground stuff: I'm Australian and have all ways been very fond of all things British and any thing from the British empire, so its not like it will be a total change of pace for me or anything. It however will be the first time that I have been away from my family and friends for a long period of time and I figure that if I get to know some of the little things about the UK it might make the change seem less massive.

Also I just want you all to know that I may be over there (Once more, MAY (I have the interview on Wednesday and I don't know when they will tell me if I get the spot)) in case any of you want to hang out for a bit with an over weight guy from the colonies that will be totally lost in London and most likely in need of a friend.

Also, I need a place to say it,

This gap project gives me the opportunity to meet Nobility, REAL NOBILITY!!

Isn't that so cool? :smallbiggrin: I must say, so far no one that I have told this to has been anywhere near as exited by this opportunity as I have. Still, I really do like the idea of meeting a Noble.

So, if any one has any advice about the UK (or anything else reliant) I'm all ears!

Nameless
2010-04-05, 03:39 AM
May I ask what part of London the primary school is? Well, London has changed a lot, even in my life time. Over the past few years it’s become very “multi cultural”, but you’ll notice that depending on what part of London you’re at.
Stay as far away as you can from Brixton (and many part of South London), Angel Islington, White City, Harrow, and most of the Essex area.
Nice places Include Bank, Monument, London Bridge, Oxford High Street, Marble Arch, Covent Garden, Leicester Square, Kings Cross, most of the West End, Muswell Hill, Highgate, and Camden Town. Though urr… Watch your pockets if you go there. Barnet (where I live) has a mixture of nice and yukky places, though isn’t very entertaining unless you’re looking for a park. In which-case, you always have Regents Park.
Oh, and you never quite know when a Londoner is angry, you could be standing there two hours later and still wandering if he’s upset about something. Though you will know when he’s really angry. When he really gets peed off he’ll say, “I… I’m gonna write a letter”.
Good news is, is that you can stop thinking for yourself if you come here. Health and safety regulations will stipulate anything that may cause you to use your mind.

_Zoot_
2010-04-05, 03:59 AM
The school is in Wandsworth in London, hope that means more to you than it does to me....

Nameless
2010-04-05, 04:10 AM
That's just over on the south side of the Themes. I've never really been there, but I it's okay from what I here. It has a sort of mixture of nice parts and not so nice parts. It's also close to a famous land mark.
http://www.yell.com/images/uk/london/wandsworth.jpg

_Zoot_
2010-04-05, 04:14 AM
What is that.... thing?

Nameless
2010-04-05, 04:20 AM
What is that.... thing?

An old factory. I'm not sure what it's used for now though. That isn't actually in Wandsworth by the way. It's outide somewhere. On the pluss side, you're also very close to Central London.
http://images.londontown.com/restaurants/images/boro/Wandsworth.gif

It takes me about 30-40 minuets to get there and I live right on the North side of London.

_Zoot_
2010-04-05, 04:29 AM
Nifty, does that mean that it is close enough that I will be able to see the sites of London with out too much trouble?

Etcetera
2010-04-05, 04:37 AM
The "thing" is Battersea power station. You should be able to see the sights of Lodon with consummate ease. Depending on how much public transport you intend to use an oyster card (http://visitorshop.tfl.gov.uk/) may be of use, but beware, for some bizarre reason some of Britain's many outstanding (and not in a good way) train operators refuse to properly integrate it. It's getting better now.

_Zoot_
2010-04-05, 04:41 AM
Oh, yes I know the oyster card thing, I got to use on when I last visited London, I intend to get one of them they did seem rather useful.

Etcetera
2010-04-05, 04:50 AM
Oh good. I'd recommend Richmond park as it seems to be fairly close to where you'll be.

Dr. Bath
2010-04-05, 05:00 AM
Nameless is spewing lies, damned lies and statistics.

Islington is fine, if slightly filled with yuppies, Essex is also pretty ok (for the most part) lots of lovely forest and country walks fairly close to London, although there is little point you going there to be quite honest as you're the opposite side.

Oxford street is a horrible place, filled with tourist, touts and t-shirts (expensive ones) Much better to visit any of the streets off it (Regent Street, Tottenham Court Rd etc) Holborn's very nice. The British museum, Cartoon Museum and the highest concentration of 'Nerdy' shops I've found in London. (Two tabletop gaming shops, three comic stores and forbidden planet all within five minutes walk of each other)

Hackney is in the main a not nice place you would most likely do best to avoid which nameless has neglected to mention. Although everywhere in London there are nice places and not-so-nice places. Just keep your wits about you, and look like you know where you're going.

I heartily recommend getting your fill of the museums and galleries in London, many are absolutely sublime. Make sure to keep an eye out for events too.

Also: don't worry about Health and Safety. It's basically writing down what common sense measure (which I would hope you would take anyway) you use in everyday classroom life and outings. You may come across some weird rules, but that's public sector work for you.

Are you 16-25? I would also recommend getting a young person's railcard (for regular trains, not the tube) as it can combine with your oyster to give you a bit of money off when travelling off-peak, and saves you bucketloads if you venture out of Greater London.

In closing: Ew. Barnet. :P

_Zoot_
2010-04-05, 05:06 AM
Great, thanks for the info about the 'Nerdy' shops, I was worried where I would find things like that. The train stuff will be good to as I have relatives that live outside of London so I will be visiting them at times.

Nameless
2010-04-05, 05:10 AM
Nifty, does that mean that it is close enough that I will be able to see the sites of London with out too much trouble?

Yeah, should be easy. I'm not sure what part of Wandsworth you live in, but I'm pretty sure that Tooting Broadway is one of the Underground stations there.

http://www.london-tube-map.co.uk/london-tube-map/tube-map.jpg

That's the Tube map. Tooting Broadway is the fourth station from last on the south side of the Northern Line (the black line that stretches down the middle). Once you found that, count 11 stops up and you’ll get to Tower Bridge. That's pretty much where the main part of London begins. Should take you 20-30 minutes to get there.
If you take one more stop up, you'll get to Monument and Tower Hill, that's where the Tower of London is. (I was actually there yesterday). If you take another stop up you'll get to Bank. This is where the Bank of England is.
At this point, there's a few things you can do, if you continue to go up on the northern line, after about 6 stops you'll get to Camden Town. It's become a lot more touristy over the years, but it's genuinely where all the weirdoes hang out. (in a good way) There's also loads of night clubs, markets, weird shops etc. Most of the clothing shops appeal to sub-cultures. There's a few Japanese Lolita shops, some traditional Goth shops, a couple of cyberpunk/Goth shops, one or two transvestite shops, vintage shops, Metal shops, Rasta shops, dodgy food stalls, dodgy tattoo Parlours, dodgy markets, voodoo shops etc etc...
If however, you change over to the Central line (the red line) at Bank instead and go 5 stops west, you'll get to Oxford Circus. You should also be able to see the stations Bond Street and Marble Arch. These places are within walking distance, so it doesn't really matter where you get off, but this place is good for shopping. Another awesome place to go shopping and wander about is Covent Garden. That's on the dark blue line just under the red one.
Another place you can go to is Waterloo. That's 10 stops away from Tooting Broadway (where you start). It’s where you have Southbank and the London Aquarium. It's also right next to the London Eye and Parliament and a lot of art-related stuff happens there.

One more thing, most of these places are within walking distance. On several occasions, I've walked between Waterloo and Marble Arch, all the way up to Regents park. Or from London Bridge, to Tower Hill all the way to Bank. Though, with friends, I'd get lost on my own as I don't really know my way around by foot. :smallbiggrin:
You’re also likely to come across some Museums, they’re always good.

EDIT: Oh, and Covent Guarden is a must. China town, gaming shops, cosplay shops are all there.

Nameless is spewing lies, damned lies and statistics.

Islington is fine, if slightly filled with yuppies, Essex is also pretty ok (for the most part) lots of lovely forest and country walks fairly close to London, although there is little point you going there to be quite honest as you're the opposite side.

Oxford street is a horrible place, filled with tourist, touts and t-shirts (expensive ones) Much better to visit any of the streets off it (Regent Street, Tottenham Court Rd etc) Holborn's very nice. The British museum, Cartoon Museum and the highest concentration of 'Nerdy' shops I've found in London. (Two tabletop gaming shops, three comic stores and forbidden planet all within five minutes walk of each other)

Hackney is in the main a not nice place you would most likely do best to avoid which nameless has neglected to mention. Although everywhere in London there are nice places and not-so-nice places. Just keep your wits about you, and look like you know where you're going.

I heartily recommend getting your fill of the museums and galleries in London, many are absolutely sublime. Make sure to keep an eye out for events too.

Also: don't worry about Health and Safety. It's basically writing down what common sense measure (which I would hope you would take anyway) you use in everyday classroom life and outings. You may come across some weird rules, but that's public sector work for you.

Are you 16-25? I would also recommend getting a young person's railcard (for regular trains, not the tube) as it can combine with your oyster to give you a bit of money off when travelling off-peak, and saves you bucketloads if you venture out of Greater London.

In closing: Ew. Barnet. :P

Islington is fine. Angel Islington is NOT fine.
Essex has nice rural parts, but after going to school there for several years, I've come to realise that the people are not fine. :smallannoyed:
Oxford street is touristy, but still a very nice place to visit.

And I live in a good place her in Barnet. It's quiet, but I'm 5 minuets away from High Barnet where there's a library, shops, my college and the tube station.
Unfortunately, I'm on the border line between nice High Barnet, and dodgy East Barnet.
I'm also not too far from Muswell Hill, which after living there myself, is an amazing place.

Dr. Bath
2010-04-05, 05:33 AM
No no. Angel is fine too. You are just crazy. Ugh muswell hill. Everyone I meet there is just so up themselves. Drains the fun of the place for me. Nice (incredibly expensive) houses mind.

Yeah southbank is quite nice. Make sure you see at least one show at the National Theatre, tickets often go for quite cheap.

I have never seen a cosplay shop in Covent Garden. I've not been looking out for one, but still.

Oh! Also go to Portabello Market at least once. All sorts of random stuff. From medieval ploughs to butterfly collections to looted Egyptian artifacts, you can probably find it there. Say hi to my godmother. :smalltongue:

_Zoot_
2010-04-05, 05:39 AM
Oh! Also go to Portabello Market at least once. All sorts of random stuff. From medieval ploughs to butterfly collections to looted Egyptian artifacts, you can probably find it there. Say hi to my godmother. :smalltongue:

Egyptian artifacts eh? Well that is a must!

Nameless
2010-04-05, 05:44 AM
No no. Angel is fine too. You are just crazy. Ugh muswell hill. Everyone I meet there is just so up themselves. Drains the fun of the place for me. Nice (incredibly expensive) houses mind.

Yeah southbank is quite nice. Make sure you see at least one show at the National Theatre, tickets often go for quite cheap.

I have never seen a cosplay shop in Covent Garden. I've not been looking out for one, but still.

Excuse me, but I have met plenty of lovely people in Muswell Hill. Most people there, are in fact, very friendly.
And yes, go to Portobello Market. Also, Trocadero is a MUST.

http://www.propertyweek.com/Pictures/460xAny/i/r/m/Trocadero_inside.jpg
http://www.sxc.hu/pic/m/c/cr/creatweb/164424_trocadero_london.jpg
http://tokyotoys.com/images/Conventions/2008/YAYA-2_L.jpg
http://www.londonerseye.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/trocadero-arcade.jpg

It's like an every hypernes in the world rolled into one giant arcade.

Dr. Bath
2010-04-05, 05:49 AM
Goddamn Trocadero. It always explodes when I go there.

The cinema does Orange Wednesdays though. Which is cool.

Personal experience. It doesn't help that it's where my Aunt and her family (who all hate me for some reason) live. The Ed's Diner near there is quite nice I suppose.

Hazkali
2010-04-05, 05:49 AM
Being from Australia, I don't think there'll be all that many cultural differences to overcome.

My main piece of advice would be to travel outside of London, and the commuter belt, into "proper" England (I'm absolutely unbiased, honestly:smalltongue:). There's lots of culture and history outside of the capital, and the last vestiges of a green and pleasant land.

Nameless
2010-04-05, 06:03 AM
Being from Australia, I don't think there'll be all that many cultural differences to overcome.

My main piece of advice would be to travel outside of London, and the commuter belt, into "proper" England (I'm absolutely unbiased, honestly:smalltongue:). There's lots of culture and history outside of the capital, and the last vestiges of a green and pleasant land.

Tr00 dat. I recommend Oxford, Devon, Swanage. Also, going to north Wales is good if you want to travel out of England but don't want to go as far as Ireland or Scotland.

_Zoot_
2010-04-05, 06:07 AM
I have been to Wales for about a week, it was nice but the language was..... something else.

GrlumpTheElder
2010-04-05, 06:45 AM
I have been to Wales for about a week, it was nice but the language was..... something else.

Yr oedd yn Cymraeg... :D

I think that if you can you should try and visit cornwall. Now that's an amazing partof England!

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-04-05, 09:15 AM
Travelling from London by train is very easy, though expensive (I very much second the advice to get a railcard; my 16-25 one gives me a third off of rail fares). I also recommend Oxford, Devon and Cornwall, and you should also take a trip down to the real south-east (in other words, not Greater London); my county of Sussex is nice for the most part, as is non-London Kent.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-05, 04:26 PM
Come to the North; we have electricity and running water and everything now :smalltongue:

Only ever been to London once and that was for two days because my sister was performing in the Millennium Dome, so I can't offer any real advice for you sorry.

BisectedBrioche
2010-04-05, 04:37 PM
Learn how to pronounce the following Loughborough ("luff-burra", not "loo-gah-barooga" as one lost Aussie tourist once asked my dad :smalltongue:).
Don't mention cricket.
Make sure you make it clear you aren't an American tourist. :smallwink:

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-05, 04:40 PM
... Make sure you make it clear you aren't an American tourist. :smallwink:

DO NOT TRY AN ENGLISH ACCENT. PEOPLE WILL STAB YOU. A LOT. :smallamused: (Ok they won't but they frown at you /be very high strung and think your being a racist or something)

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-04-05, 05:02 PM
It'll come across as mocking rather than in earnest, unless you have elocution lessons or something, in which case you'll end up with a delightfully plummy accent.

Klose_the_Sith
2010-04-05, 05:44 PM
...And even if you get it right all you'll have is an annoyingly nasally voice, so just don't try :smalltongue:

Castaras
2010-04-05, 06:49 PM
Come to the North; we have electricity and running water and everything now :smalltongue:

And that's in the high-tech places. :smallbiggrin:

You could visit Cambridgeshire as well - we've got fields! and... umm... fields. And the Universities! And we has Fenlands as well which are interesting.

But yes - Railcard, Oyster Card, and have fun.

Nameless
2010-04-06, 03:27 AM
And that's in the high-tech places. :smallbiggrin:

You could visit Cambridgeshire as well - we've got fields! and... umm... fields. And the Universities! And we has Fenlands as well which are interesting.

But yes - Railcard, Oyster Card, and have fun.

Yeah, well here in London we have fields, universities, and civilisation!

Altaria87
2010-04-06, 03:34 AM
No! Don't go to his part of the North. Come to the other bit- the North West. We WON the War of the Roses. Plus we have fields, and a surprising amount of Llama farms! Also funny Lancashire accents!

We have all that in Lancashire AND Llamas!

Nameless
2010-04-06, 03:43 AM
We have all that in Lancashire AND Llamas!

No you don't. :smalltongue:

Altaria87
2010-04-06, 03:51 AM
No you don't. :smalltongue:
... Ok, maybe not the running water.
But we DO have Llamas!

Nameless
2010-04-06, 04:05 AM
... Ok, maybe not the running water.
But we DO have Llamas!

No you don't.

_Zoot_
2010-04-06, 04:11 AM
Wait, are there or are there not Llamas there?

Because if there are then I am SO going there to see them!

Nameless
2010-04-06, 04:15 AM
Wait, are there or are there not Llamas there?

Because if there are then I am SO going there to see them!

I assure you, there are no llamas.
...Well, there are, but only in Zooz and such.

Dr. Bath
2010-04-06, 04:16 AM
There are a surprising number of llama farms.

Also llamaland in Cornwall somewhere.

Altaria87
2010-04-06, 04:28 AM
I assure you, there are no llamas.
...Well, there are, but only in Zooz and such.
Trust me, there are Llama farms, I live near one and I go past one every day on the bus.
I'm not sure if you can go and view the Llamas. But I assure you that there are Llamas in abundance

Nameless
2010-04-06, 04:52 AM
Trust me, there are Llama farms, I live near one and I go past one every day on the bus.
I'm not sure if you can go and view the Llamas. But I assure you that there are Llamas in abundance

why are there llama farms where you live? :smalltongue:

Hazkali
2010-04-06, 04:57 AM

Ah, but in Oxfordshire you have fields, universities, civilisation and you're not in London!

:smalltongue:

Dr. Bath
2010-04-06, 05:10 AM
Llamas are delicious.

Although it's mainly for wool.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-04-06, 05:14 AM
No! Don't go to his part of the North. Come to the other bit- the North West. We WON the War of the Roses.

Wars. Plus, I'm sure Henry Tudor's army of Frenchmen and Welshmen weren't from the North-West :smalltongue:

Anyway, in Sussex you have fields, woodland, the seaside, civilisation and you're not in London, but only a convenient hour-and-a-half-or-so away!

GrlumpTheElder
2010-04-06, 05:21 AM
Anyway, in Sussex you have fields, woodland, the seaside, civilisation and you're not in London, but only a convenient hour-and-a-half-or-so away!

And a Llama farm by the south Downs!!! :smallbiggrin:

Edit: Actually, they may be alpacas...

paddyfool
2010-04-06, 05:36 AM

Yep, and I might be able to give you a free tour of Cambridge if I'm about. Sussex is indeed worth a visit, as are (parts of) Surrey and Kent, plus Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Dorset, Oxfordshire, Norfolk, Suffolk, Cumbria, Scotland, Ireland, a little place to the south called The Continent etc.

On the Oxford Street controversy: it's a truly horrible tourist trap, and pretty much everything North, South, East or West is more interesting. If you want to experience overcrowded examples of outlets of fashion chains etc. which you can find anywhere in the UK, however, knock yourself out - but for the love of all that is holy, stay away on weekends.

On the whole, _Zoot_, you may experience the following problems:
- Londoners are famously standoffish. You won't find making conversation on tubes/buses etc. easy; something that friends of mine from outside London have found very strange, since that's generally not the case on public transport elsewhere in the UK.
- First language issues in primary school kids - there's no guarantee the kids you're teaching will all speak English. At some primary schools in London, only a minority do to start with.
- A general assumption that you either work in a bar or are a backpacker, like the other 10,000-odd gap year Aussies in London.
- A total inability on the part of the locals to differentiate your accent from a Kiwi one.
- Way, way too many tourists and tourist traps
- High cost of living (although the cheap(er) pound right now should take the edge off a bit)

You may also experience the following consolations:
- A high population density means there's a club or a society for absolutely anything you might ever have wanted to do or learn about. Yes, even that.
- Some pretty good green spaces around the capital; plenty of good spots for walks, picnics etc.
- Museums, theatres, and other cultural stuff by the bucketload.
- We don't actually moan all that much. Only the quitters who left do that ;-).

Anyway, have fun and all the best!

KuReshtin
2010-04-06, 08:37 AM
If you get to the UK around 10th of July you can attend the UKitP meetup in London (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137348).

_Zoot_
2010-04-07, 04:06 AM
Well, I went for my interview today and it seemed to go well, don't hold your breath because I don't find out for about another four weeks if I got a spot....

And I'm afraid KuReshtin that I wont get there till next year, much to my dismay at learning that I can't meet up with all you pommy Gitp-ers.

Other wise please keep the advice coming because I will need to know as much about the UK as I can before I get there!

Nameless
2010-04-07, 04:15 AM
Well, I went for my interview today and it seemed to go well, don't hold your breath because I don't find out for about another four weeks if I got a spot....

And I'm afraid KuReshtin that I wont get there till next year, much to my dismay at learning that I can't meet up with all you pommy Gitp-ers.

Other wise please keep the advice coming because I will need to know as much about the UK as I can before I get there!

Well, Believe it or not, but we don't really wear bowler hats and drink tea with the queen.
I know, it's shocking. But it's true.

_Zoot_
2010-04-07, 04:41 AM
Well, Believe it or not, but we don't really wear bowler hats and drink tea with the queen.
I know, it's shocking. But it's true.

Right, never mind. I'm not going to England.

I was looking forward to tea with Her Majesty :smallfrown:

:smalltongue:

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-07, 04:45 AM
Good luck. And we seem to try to have two meetups per year, so you may still be able to come to one if your lucky.

paddyfool
2010-04-07, 05:10 AM
Incidentally:

Well, may is the word,
This gap project gives me the opportunity to meet Nobility, REAL NOBILITY!!

Isn't that so cool? :smallbiggrin: I must say, so far no one that I have told this to has been anywhere near as exited by this opportunity as I have. Still, I really do like the idea of meeting a Noble.

Hanging out with nobility in the UK happens about as much as hanging out with politicians and celebs... also, unless you're at some specific function run as the pet charity of Lord X or Duchess Y, you may well not know they're nobility when you meet them. You can go see a debate or something (http://www.parliament.uk/visiting/visitingandtours/overseasvisitors.cfm) at the House of Lords and try and work out which 12% or so of the people there are hereditary peers if you like (not something I've ever done myself yet), or visit stately homes (many are very pretty, and have nice gardens etc.) But actually meeting them can be tricky, unless you're a celeb yourself, a journalist wanting to do an interview or something similar.

Plus, I'm afraid they really aren't all that different from the rest of us.

_Zoot_
2010-04-07, 05:23 AM
Incidentally:

Hanging out with nobility in the UK happens about as much as hanging out with politicians and celebs... also, unless you're at some specific function run as the pet charity of Lord X or Duchess Y, you may well not know they're nobility when you meet them. You can go see a debate or something (http://www.parliament.uk/visiting/visitingandtours/overseasvisitors.cfm) at the House of Lords and try and work out which 12% or so of the people there are hereditary peers if you like (not something I've ever done myself yet), or visit stately homes (many are very pretty, and have nice gardens etc.) But actually meeting them can be tricky, unless you're a celeb yourself, a journalist wanting to do an interview or something similar.

Plus, I'm afraid they really aren't all that different from the rest of us.

Yep, The principal of the school that I'm hoping to go to is a Baroness, so I'm quite sure that I will be able to meet her, at some point or another... The idea of visiting stately homes is a good one now that I think about it, thanks for that (now I only need to find some stately homes =P)

And yeah, I know that there not really different from the rest of us but they are Nobles and we're not, and I'm one of those crazy people that thinks that that means they are... I don't know special or something...

That was vague.

Klose_the_Sith
2010-04-07, 05:41 AM
I just remembered something very important!

The people of England are filthy, unwashed savages - bring your own chickensalt :smallsmile:

paddyfool
2010-04-07, 07:09 AM
I just remembered something very important!

The people of England are filthy, unwashed savages have semi-functional taste-buds - bring your own chickensalt :smallsmile:

Sadly, you can buy just about anything in London (http://www.angloaustraliantrading.com/AustraliaShop/AUDetail.aspx?ID=3043) (available online or via an outlet in Covent Garden).

Klose_the_Sith
2010-04-07, 07:19 AM
Sadly, you can buy just about anything in London (http://www.angloaustraliantrading.com/AustraliaShop/AUDetail.aspx?ID=3043) (available online or via an outlet in Covent Garden).

Oh and be prepared to carry a supply of gravy if you want to have proper chips - the English are, as always, heretics :smallsmile:

Dr. Bath
2010-04-07, 08:36 AM
Whut. Chips and gravy is despicable. Salt and vinegar is the only way to go. Cheese at a push.

BisectedBrioche
2010-04-07, 08:51 AM
Remember that Marmite is more or less the same substance as Vegimite.

KuReshtin
2010-04-07, 08:57 AM
Whut. Chips and gravy is despicable. Salt and vinegar is the only way to go. Cheese at a push.

Hmmmm.. The salt'n'sauce vs salt'n'vinegar discussion.
That's a west coast/east coast discussion in Scotland.
I've heard stories of someone who wanted salt'n'vinegar on his chips and the chip.. er? Chipper? Chipster? Chippie server? Whatever. He forgot from the time of order to the time of serving that the guy had asked for salt and vinegar, and so put salt and sauce on the chips instead. When the customer told him about the error, instead of sorting another portion for the customer, the serving guy just too the vinegar bottle and flushed away the gravy..

Klose_the_Sith
2010-04-07, 08:57 AM

See? Their slander and lies are well entrenched indeed.

Remember that Marmite is more or less the same substance as Vegimite.

It really isn't :smallsigh:

Dr. Bath
2010-04-07, 09:00 AM
It's yeast extract. They are basically the same (having tasted both)

Also having tried chips with gravy I've come to the conclusion that you are both crazy in the coconut and in need of therapy.

KuReshtin
2010-04-07, 09:06 AM
Hang on.. I never stated a preference either way on the chips'n' whatever discussion.
Personally, I despise thick-cut chips altogether and only eat them when there's absolutely no other choice.

I just shared an anecdote. :smallsmile:

Dr. Bath
2010-04-07, 09:14 AM
It was a singular you. Curse you english language. Always up in my grill.

Klose_the_Sith
2010-04-07, 09:19 AM
It's yeast extract. They are basically the same (having tasted both)

Also having tried chips with gravy I've come to the conclusion that you are both crazy in the coconut and in need of therapy.

If you think that they're both the same then you've obviously scarred your taste buds off long ago and thus in no place to pass judgement.

(Seriously though, they taste completely different)

KuReshtin
2010-04-07, 09:22 AM
It was a singular you. Curse you english language. Always up in my grill.

I see my mistake here.. It was the "You are both" that confused me. I read it as 'you both' as in 'you two'...

Don't mind me..
Carry on.

paddyfool
2010-04-07, 09:23 AM
If you think that they're both the same then you've obviously scarred your taste buds off long ago and thus in no place to pass judgement.

(Seriously though, they taste completely different)

Agreed, they somehow manage to taste like two very different kinds of cr*p.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-07, 09:51 AM
Let's not turn this into marmite wars. In the end no one wins, were all just a bunch of losers :smalltongue:

Totally Guy
2010-04-07, 10:07 AM
Hmmmm.. The salt'n'sauce vs salt'n'vinegar discussion.

I remember that. The government slogan was "Want respect? Use a condiment."

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-04-07, 10:48 AM
Marmite is by far the greater yeast extract.

Whilst those eating chips are being indecisive, I shall just take a salty portion and vacate the premises.

Nameless
2010-04-07, 02:39 PM
- A high population density means there's a club or a society for absolutely anything you might ever have wanted to do or learn about. Yes, even that.

He's not joking by the way. Seriously, I cannot wait 'till I hit 18 in May.

Also, don't even bother with the coffee here. Seriously. It's like flavoured water. However, we do make splendid tea. And if you know where to look, there's some excellent pubs and strange gatherings. It's also a good place to buy clothes. You can find pretty much any kind of clothing from any time perdiod of any fashion or sub culture.

paddyfool
2010-04-08, 02:43 AM
Also, don't even bother with the coffee here.

Unless it's from the Monmouth Coffee Company (http://www.monmouthcoffee.co.uk/), who are awesome.

KuReshtin
2010-04-08, 02:56 AM
Also, don't even bother with the coffee here. Seriously. It's like flavoured water.

Of course it's like flavoured water. Because IT IS flavoured water.
tea is flavoured water as well.

_Zoot_
2010-04-08, 02:58 AM
Eh, I all ways did enjoy tea over coffee.

And Vegimite RULES!!!

Totally Guy
2010-04-08, 03:46 AM
You know I've been reading an Australian webcomic called Loxie and Zoot. Is that you? :smalltongue:

It's not warm enough over here.

Nameless
2010-04-08, 04:11 AM
Of course it's like flavoured water. Because IT IS flavoured water.
tea is flavoured water as well.

...OHYOUKNOWWHATIMEAN

Put it this way, I HATE coffee. However, I can drink English coffee. Why? Because it hardly tastes of coffee. :smalltongue:

Kaelaroth
2010-04-08, 04:18 AM
Some advice? Always make sure you know where your wallet is, always keep your door locked, and whatever you do, don't go outside panic when you hear about brutal crime in London - it's everywhere, really, so you should worry wherever you go!

paddyfool
2010-04-08, 04:31 AM
Some advice? Always make sure you know where your wallet is, always keep your door locked, and whatever you do, don't go outside panic when you hear about brutal crime in London - it's everywhere, really, so you should worry wherever you go!

And occasionally we roast people on spits if we don't like their accent too. :smallwink:

Seriously, though, the UK doesn't have a high rate of violent crime; it's largely trash media-fuelled paranoia. You'll be fine, as long as you don't do completely stupid stuff (wandering through bad parts of town by yourself flashing cash and/or a mobile phone, openly supporting West Ham in a pub filled with drunk Millwall supporters etc.) Standard rules apply, really - don't look like a target, and you won't be a target.

For instance, in four years of living in various bits of London I was fine wandering around by myself at all hours etc. I was only once threatened with violence, and that was when I went up to a pair of bicycle thieves to suggest they desist. (Well, actually, I only got as far as saying "Guys." Then one of them started running, while the other came up to me saying "I'llpunchyouinthefaaaaace" before seeing his friend running and deciding to scarper instead. I really don't look all that scary, but on the other hand, they looked about 15).

cheezewizz2000
2010-04-08, 04:45 AM
Can I just big up Hampshire a little? I know it doesn't get much love, considering it's the UK cultural equivalent of biege, but we DO have the New Forest, which is very pretty, and you have to get through us to get to the Isle of Wight, which is worth a day trip, and is a great place to motorcycle around if that's your bag.

Also we have Dorset very near by which has the Jurassic Coast, so if collecting ammonites is your thing, ey, fuggedaboudit. We've got fossils, and outcrop examples of the Kimmeridge clay (where North Sea Oil comes from). Durdle Door is a pretty badass natural arch that is worth a look, and Lulworth Cove has a nice beach.

Also, go to the West Counrty for surfing. May I reccomend a little town called "Westward Ho!" (yes, the ! is in the town's name). It's certainly nothing like the waves you get in Aus because you guys have a waaaaay longer fetch for the swell to build up than we do, but they're good none the less, and the surf community is very supportive.

So I guess my pitch for visiting Hampshire is "We have nicer places near by", but Southampton and Portsmouth are cool and have quite a long naval history. The Titanic stopped off in So'ton, so you can come and see the memorial and visit the largest Forbidden Planet outside of London, so it's not all dull.

Just, mostly dull.

_Zoot_
2010-04-08, 05:48 AM
Can I just big up Hampshire a little? I know it doesn't get much love, considering it's the UK cultural equivalent of biege, but we DO have the New Forest, which is very pretty, and you have to get through us to get to the Isle of Wight, which is worth a day trip, and is a great place to motorcycle around if that's your bag.

Also we have Dorset very near by which has the Jurassic Coast, so if collecting ammonites is your thing, ey, fuggedaboudit. We've got fossils, and outcrop examples of the Kimmeridge clay (where North Sea Oil comes from). Durdle Door is a pretty badass natural arch that is worth a look, and Lulworth Cove has a nice beach.

Also, go to the West Counrty for surfing. May I reccomend a little town called "Westward Ho!" (yes, the ! is in the town's name). It's certainly nothing like the waves you get in Aus because you guys have a waaaaay longer fetch for the swell to build up than we do, but they're good none the less, and the surf community is very supportive.

So I guess my pitch for visiting Hampshire is "We have nicer places near by", but Southampton and Portsmouth are cool and have quite a long naval history. The Titanic stopped off in So'ton, so you can come and see the memorial and visit the largest Forbidden Planet outside of London, so it's not all dull.

Just, mostly dull.

I LOVE beige.

I really must come and see this place because you make it sound really nice, a quiet spot to get away from London!

Klose_the_Sith
2010-04-09, 11:40 PM
Oooh! Oooh! Important note going down here!

Dunno if this has already been something you've approached, but consider getting some sort of phone card thing. When I stayed in England (never again) it at least made calling home cheap.

I can get you more details, but that requires time and thinking, two things I lack at this very instant.