PDA

View Full Version : A challenge- a Theurge Base Class

TheYoungKing
2010-04-05, 07:59 AM
Well, you read it right. Could you make a base class that can cast divine AND arcane spells? And by that, I mean no Adept/Necro shenanigans. This Theurge Base Class must draw from the Wizard/Sorc spell list AND the Cleric spell list to qualify.

Is it possible? Would the result be anywhere near balanced or would it have to be nerfed so much as to be unplayable?

Telonius
2010-04-05, 08:11 AM
Take Sorcerer. Rename it to True Theurge. Change this section:

A sorcerer casts arcane spells which are drawn primarily from the sorcerer/wizard spell list. He can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time, the way a wizard or a cleric must (see below).

to this:

A True Theurge casts spells from any spell list. If a spell is on multiple lists, the True Theurge can cast it as soon as a Wizard or Cleric would be able to. (Spells that are on the list of half-casting classes, such as Holy Sword, count as twice their level). He can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time, the way a wizard or a cleric must (see below).

Xallace
2010-04-05, 08:59 AM
I'd say take what Telonious said, add in that you can't choose spells from the cleric domains (just for clarity), and add in that your spells count as both arcane and divine.

And then probably replace the familiar with something more thematically appropriate.

Zeta Kai
2010-04-05, 09:03 AM
That could actually work. Without a Wizard's infinite playlist & bonus feats, or a Cleric's domains & turn attempts, a tweaked Sorcerer would make a viable Theurge base. I'd ditch the familiar, replacing it with d6 HD, proficiency with their god's favored weapon, & the ability to spontaneously cast certain spells (based on which god they worship). But the concept is sound, IMO.

EDIT: Oddly enough, I've been ninja'd. Huh.