PDA

View Full Version : Synad -> Construct?

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-05, 08:34 AM
Is there a cheap (and easy) way to turn a synad (aberration from CPsi) into a construct, without losing its special abilities, mental ability scores, or losing levels/gaining LA?

I'm making a shaper/constructor, and it annoys me to no end that I have to take not one, but TWO useless powers (ecto protection and psionic repair damage). The first is unavoidable, but at least the second can be useful, if I'm a construct myself. (This is the first psionic build I've ever made without a psicrystal, y'see.)

Help is appreciated.

JeminiZero
2010-04-05, 09:01 AM
Maybe use a Warforged instead of a Synad?

Golem Grafts turn you into a Construct on a failed Will save but those are somewhat expensive and LA: -. It also grants Magic Immunity which no sane DM will allow.

Starbuck_II
2010-04-05, 09:09 AM
Is there a cheap (and easy) way to turn a synad (aberration from CPsi) into a construct, without losing its special abilities, mental ability scores, or losing levels/gaining LA?

I'm making a shaper/constructor, and it annoys me to no end that I have to take not one, but TWO useless powers (ecto protection and psionic repair damage). The first is unavoidable, but at least the second can be useful, if I'm a construct myself. (This is the first psionic build I've ever made without a psicrystal, y'see.)

Help is appreciated.

If 1/2 Golem template had LA, you could just get a construct graft. Sadly, they never gave it one.

I think Hyperconsciousness had a Reflection template which would turn you to a construct, but I don't remember LA.

Optimystik
2010-04-05, 09:28 AM
Why Synad and not Warforged/Psiforged? And why on earth no psicrystal?

Oslecamo
2010-04-05, 09:32 AM
If 1/2 Golem template had LA, you could just get a construct graft. Sadly, they never gave it one.

Considering how expensive the graft is, I believe it works like a normal graft and doesn't give out LA.

On the other hand, it does give -6 to int, wich really hurts a psion.

Optimystik
2010-04-05, 09:36 AM
On the other hand, it does give -6 to int, wich really hurts a psion.

"Krunk SMASH! With brain!"

Oslecamo
2010-04-05, 09:39 AM
"Krunk SMASH! With brain!"

Half-Golem also gives -6 Cha, wich means, assuming the psion dumps cha it would be something more like:

Kraj STOMPY SMASHY drool Wath BraInZ drooolllll!

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-05, 09:41 AM
Why Synad and not Warforged/Psiforged? And why on earth no psicrystal?The character is a lab-rat of the illithids, and is schizophrenic (:smallwink:). I wanted the three-fold mind, and I'm using a few grafts as well. Being a construct is just taking this a bit further (but I still want the racials of the synad).

As far as no psicrystal goes, I'm using lots of incarnum, and metapsionics, both of which are feat-intensive (and I don't get flaws; I'd take Psicrystal Containment, but I'm just that strapped for feats).

Any other ideas?

Oslecamo
2010-04-05, 09:46 AM
Not really. Half-golem is really the only way I remember to become a construct whitout losing your original race.

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-05, 09:56 AM
Not really. Half-golem is really the only way I remember to become a construct whitout losing your original race.Well, I CAN get some construct grafts, but they're not golem grafts.

And -6 to Int will put me at a 16, though +3 age categories will bump that up to 19. Cha I can deal with, since he's LE and isn't at all a social butterfly.

I wouldn't want magic-immunity, though, since that would make psionic repair damage rather useless anyway.

[edit] Although...doesn't magic immunity say the construct can affect itself with its own abilities?

Oslecamo
2010-04-05, 10:25 AM
[edit] Although...doesn't magic immunity say the construct can affect itself with its own abilities?

Don't know about golems, but the ethergaunt has magic immunity combined with wizard spellcasting, and it clearly says that the creature can buff itself no problem.

Of course, if you're not using magic-psionics transparency, you can just argue that you're immune to magic but not psionics.

Trekkin
2010-04-05, 10:25 AM
If you can use third party content, you might have some luck with the Advanced Bestiary, specifically Clockwork Creature.That said, constructs are so powerful it's hard to find templates that allow you to become one without a level adjustment, unless you're willing to use Miniature from the same book for a net 0 LA.

DragoonWraith
2010-04-05, 10:43 AM
The character is a lab-rat of the illithids, and is schizophrenic (:smallwink:). I wanted the three-fold mind
That's not schizophrenia, that's Dissociative Identity Disorder (formerly Multiple Personality Disorder). Schizophrenia is very, very different - in fact, schizophrenia is what the mind is trying to protect against with DID (and many other disorders that stem from over-use of a protective mechanism). Schizophrenia involves massive separation between the individual and reality - hallucinations, delusions, paranoia, etc. Schizophrenics are at least halfway into their own little worlds, and most simply cannot function on their own, from what I understand. It's basically the ultimate breakdown of the mind.

strider24seven
2010-04-05, 10:48 AM
Couldn't you just get a wizard to use Polymorph any Object on you to turn you into a golem or warforged?

Starbuck_II
2010-04-05, 10:59 AM
Well, I CAN get some construct grafts, but they're not golem grafts.

And -6 to Int will put me at a 16, though +3 age categories will bump that up to 19. Cha I can deal with, since he's LE and isn't at all a social butterfly.

I wouldn't want magic-immunity, though, since that would make psionic repair damage rather useless anyway.

Magic immunity is a just SR infinite. Thus, you can be affected since SR doesn't block your own spells/powers.

Trekkin
2010-04-05, 11:07 AM
If you would like a specifically psionic construct, Hyperconscious has the psimech template, but you'll need to go Lifespark or Incarnate construct to become playable again.

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-05, 01:00 PM
Well, the half-golem won't work, as it becomes unplayable if you fail your saving throw, and you don't become a construct if you don't.

Reflexion creature isn't a construct.

I'll have to check out the psimech template, and Lifespark. The DM doesn't like 3rd party stuff, but I'll probably be able to use Hyperconscious.

I suppose I can drop some funds on a polymorph any object, though it's not exactly satisfactory (especially since my Int will drop into the toilet)...

Oh well. If nobody has anything workable, I suppose I'll just take the hit.

Thanks y'all! I appreciate the effort.

[edit] Hmm. Pay for a true mind switch with a warforged, then refluff? Really, REALLY expensive, but I MIGHT be able to do it...

Oslecamo
2010-04-05, 01:04 PM
Well, the half-golem won't work, as it becomes unplayable if you fail your saving throw, and you don't become a construct if you don't.

Well, technically speaking, you don't lose your Int, so you should still be capable of independent tought. Talk to your DM.

[edit] Hmm. Pay for a true mind switch with a warforged, then refluff?
Don't you lose your racials with that?

Optimystik
2010-04-05, 01:05 PM
Psimech is a bad idea - +5 LA.

I personally think you should squeeze a feat in for Psicrystal (even if it can't hold a focus for you) to justify the power instead of jumping through all these hoops.

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-05, 01:11 PM
I could always pull a magic jar/haunt shift shenanigan with that spell that makes you count as undead. Undoubtedly cheaper than true mind switch, at least, and I can have whatever construct body I want (though I'd go easy on the DM and make it just like my actual body, but with construct traits).

Refluffing is happy-fun-time.

FishAreWet
2010-04-05, 02:35 PM
Dustform I think turns you into a construct.

Or talk to the GM about Effigy.

strider24seven
2010-04-06, 04:01 PM
Try this for fun:
Cast Polymorph any Object on an object to turn it into a golem. Preferably a good one. True Mind Switch with it.

Bam. You have a golem's physical stats and all of your (better) mental stats.

All you need is a midlevel Wizard and a highlevel Psion. Or a highlevel StP Erudite.

Optimystik
2010-04-06, 04:17 PM
Try this for fun:
Cast Polymorph any Object on an object to turn it into a golem. Preferably a good one. True Mind Switch (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/mindSwitchTrue.htm) with it.

There's a flaw in your plan, I'm afraid :smalltongue:

(Hint: what can't you do to constructs?)

strider24seven
2010-04-06, 04:23 PM
There's a flaw in your plan, I'm afraid :smalltongue:

(Hint: what can't you do to constructs?)

If, theoretically, you were not playing with transparency, it would work.
Good call pointing that out, though.

+1 for magic jar shenanigans.

Can a ghost possess a construct with malevolance?