PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 DnD class Marksman (version 7)

Kayoden Usoden
2010-04-05, 11:34 AM
A work in progress

I spent 4 hours testing this thing and the results... are a little off... to sum up what I got, this thing still needs some work.

Marksman

Hit dice: d8

Skills: (6 +int. mod)
Climb(STR), Craft(INT), Heal(WIS), Hide(DEX), Jump(STR), Listen(WIS), Move Silently(DEX), Spot(WIS), Search(INT),and Survival(WIS).

A Marksman is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, medium and light armor, but not with shields.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+2|
+0|Eagle Eye

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+3|
+0|Deadly Aim +1d6

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+1|Bonus Ranged Feat

4th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+1|D.A. +2d6, Augmented Ammo

5th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+1|Armor Adaptaion

6th|
+4|
+5|
+5|
+2|D.A. +3d6, B.R.F. Improved Deadly Aim

7th|
+5|
+5|
+5|
+2|Trackless Step, Camouflage

8th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+6|
+2|D.A. +4d6, Heavy Impact Ammo

9th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+6|
+3|B.R.F.

10th|
+7/+2|
+7|
+7|
+3|D.A. +5d6

11th|
+8/+3|
+7|
+7|
+3|Hide in Plain Sight

12th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+8|
+4|D.A. +6d6, B.R.F., Fragmentation Ammo

13th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+8|
+4|Improved Armor Adaptation

14th|
+10/+5|
+9|
+9|
+4|D.A. +7d6, Greater Augmentation

15th|
+11/+5/+1|
+9|
+9|
+5|B.R.F.

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+10|
+5|D.A. +8d6, Squad Buster Volly

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+10|
+5|-

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+11|
+6|D.A. +9d6, B.R.F.

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+11|
+6|-

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+12|
+6|D.A. +10d6[/table]

Eagle Eye: The Marksman receives a +1/per two levels to all ranged attacks, rounded up

Deadly Aim: As a full round standard action, a Marksman may fire a shot that inflects massive damage to a target, this damage is not multiplied on a critical hit. Creatures immune to critical hits are not affected by this damage. This damage stacks with sneak attack, death attack, sudden strike, and the like. The target must be within 30ft. This ability may be considered Sneak Attack for the purposes of qualifying for feats or prestige classes.

Improved Deadly Aim: The range of Deadly Aim increases to 60ft. at level 6, 120ft. at level 12, and at level 18 it is only limited by the weapon used.

Bonus Ranged Feat: [Working on the list...] (the Marksman’s level is equal to that of a fighter for the purpose of fighter-only feats)

Armor Adaptation: The armor check penalty for a Marksman is reduced by 1, to a minimum of 0.

Improved Armor Adaptation: The armor check penalty for a Marksman is now reduced by 2, to a minimum of 0.

Trackless Step: See Druid

Camouflage: a Marksman may use the hide kill in any terrain with no penalty.

Hide in Plain Sight: a Marksman can hide while being observed.

Augmented Ammo: Upon reaching level 4 a Marksman has learned how to modify his weapon’s ammunition. Any projectile that a Marksman makes or uses is now Masterwork.

Heavy Impact Ammo: At level 8 a Marksman has learned how to make hard hitting projectiles. A creature struck this ammo must make a Fortitude save DC: 10 + 1/2 the Marksman’s level or be knocked prone.

Fragmentation Ammo: At level 12 a Marksman has learned how to make projectiles that explode on impact dealing 2d6 bludgeoning damage to the target, anything within 5ft. of the projectile will also be affected unless it makes Reflex save DC: 10 +1/2 the Marksman’s level for half damage.

Greater Augmentation: After reaching level 14, any projectile that a Marksman makes or uses is now Greater Masterwork.

Squad Buster Volley: At level 16, Marksman can now make special cluster like ammo. Once a Squad Buster Volley is fired it will separate into multiple projectiles covering a 10ft. area. The damage dealt to anything in the area is one damage die lower than that of the weapon that fired it. Anything in the area must make a Reflex save DC: Dex mod + the bonus from Eagle Eye, or be stuck by a number of projectiles equal to the weapons base damage. Due the size and wieght of the projectile, the weapon' range when using Squad buster Volly is redused by 50%.

Tinydwarfman
2010-04-05, 11:50 AM
This class is a huge trap. 3/4 BaB and deadly aim is only on a full-round action action? Seems like a warlock but worse to me. Not even any of the cool flavorful abilities of the warlock, just static bonuses and camouflage and HiPS gained way too late. What tier are you aiming for here? I also assume this is supposed to be a ranged sniper?

Iferus
2010-04-05, 01:01 PM
How about making the first attack of a round the deadly aim attack?

Temotei
2010-04-05, 02:19 PM
Hit dice: d8

Fine.

Skills: (6 +int. mod)
Climb, craft, heal, hide, jump, knowledge dungeoneering, knowledge nature, knowledge geography, listen, move silently, spot, search, survival.

You'll want to follow the SRD format, as that's the proper way. It's easier on the eyes.

The fighter’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Ride (Dex), and Swim (Str).

Weapon and armor proficiencies: all light, simple, and martial weapons, light and medium armors, not with shields.

This should be below the table, "armor" and "proficiencies" should be capitalized, and "all" should be capitalized. Make "Weapon and Armor Proficiencies:" bold as well. Use the format below.

A fighter is proficient with all simple and martial weapons and with all armor (heavy, medium, and light) and shields (including tower shields).

Eagle Eye: The Marksman receives a +1/per two levels to all ranged attacks, rounded up

Bold "Eagle Eye:" and don't capitalize the class name unless it's at the beginning of a sentence or right above the table or some such. Get rid of the "rounded up" part, since that never applies. What does the bonus apply to? You'll want to say "+1 attack bonus per two levels to all ranged attacks." You'll probably also want to say "(minimum +1)," unless you want to change the position of this to second level on the table. I recommend keeping "(minimum +1)."

Deadly Aim: As a full round action, a Marksman may fire a shot that inflects massive damage to a target, this damage is not multiplied on a critical hit. Creatures immune to critical hits are not affected by this damage. This damage stacks with sneak attack, death attack, sudden strike, and the like. The target must be within 30ft. This ability may be considered to be Sneak Attack for the purposes of qualifying for feats or prestige classes.

Put a hyphen between "full" and "round." It's "inflicts," not "inflects." Put a period after "massive damage to a target." You should also spell out "feet" instead of abbreviating it "ft." Don't capitalize sneak attack.

Improved Deadly Aim: The range of Deadly Aim increases to 60ft.

Boring, but good.

Greater Deadly Aim: The range of Deadly Aim increases again to 120ft.

Again, boring, but good.

Supreme Deadly Aim: The range Deadly Aim is now only limited by the weapon used.

Nice. Don't capitalize deadly aim in any of the above, by the way.

Bonus Ranged Feat: [Working on the list...] (the Marksman’s level is equal to that of a fighter for the purpose of fighter only feats)

Alright. Put a hyphen between "fighter" and "only."

Armor Adaptation: The armor check penalty for a Marksman is reduced by 1, to a minimum of 0.

Improved Armor Adaptation: The armor check penalty for a Marksman is now reduced by 2, to a minimum of 0.

Hmm...I think you'll need a bit of fluff to support this. I'm not seeing how an archer should be able to maneuver better in heavy armor than a fighter who's trained in melee and avoiding hits all the time.

Trackless Step: See Druid

Is this becoming a hunter or something?

Camouflage: a Marksman may use the hide kill in any terrain with no penalty.

Capitalize skill names. Change "kill" to "skill."

Hide in Plain Sight: a Marksman can hide while being observed.

This comes a bit late.

Overall, I'm thinking you'll need some more unique abilities. Right now, it just seems like a ranger/rogue combination with a better range on sneak attacks and random armor adaptation.

Kayoden Usoden
2010-04-06, 11:42 AM
Overall, I'm thinking you'll need some more unique abilities. Right now, it just seems like a ranger/rogue combination with a better range on sneak attacks and random armor adaptation.

I am trying not to overpower this class with anything ungodly strong... hence the version 7...

as for all of your nit-picky quotes... >_> happy now?

Kayoden Usoden
2010-04-06, 12:00 PM
This class is a huge trap. 3/4 BaB and deadly aim is only on a full-round action action? Seems like a warlock but worse to me. Not even any of the cool flavorful abilities of the warlock, just static bonuses and camouflage and HiPS gained way too late. What tier are you aiming for here? I also assume this is supposed to be a ranged sniper?

The first two versions of this thing were WAY to frigging nasty... the other ones just sucked... So I am trying to find a middle ground between death incarnate and expendable diversion.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-04-06, 12:07 PM
I am trying not to overpower this class with anything ungodly strong... hence the version 7...

You may not be overpowering it, but as it stands this class gives nothing of value. I MIGHT be persuaded to take it if it's abilities were compressed into a three level Prestige Class, but at the moment you give 9 abilities over 20 levels, two of which serve only to advance existing class features. Four of those abilities add flavor but little mechanical benefit, two are subjectively useful for a hidden sniper, one requires a full round action for a single, sub-par attack, and one gives you some bonus feats...which are so-so at best.

I'd be interested to see your original class, actually, as well as a write up of what you hope to accomplish with the Marksman. I feel you may have made a few wrong steps in the design process, and seeing your original and your intent will help me better analyze where the class went wrong.

Tinydwarfman
2010-04-06, 12:31 PM
RIght now it resembles Order of the Bow Initiate, which gives d8s of bonus damage and still sucks.