PDA

View Full Version : Used Laptop?

Syka
2010-04-05, 12:16 PM
(Insert specs on an old netbook)

My gut told me not to do it, and it looks like it won't be good for what I need.

Le sigh...The search continues.

MandibleBones
2010-04-05, 12:37 PM
With 2 GB HD space, you're unlikely to be able to install MSOffice and an OS. The shortness of RAM is a problem, but not insurmountable - you should be able to boost that to 1GB if you look around.

It's so tiny, though!

I'd say pass, unless you're looking for a second computer solely for writing-on-the-go (like a NaNoWriMo-dedicated laptop, for instance).

raitalin
2010-04-05, 12:41 PM
ETA: Also, just realized it only has Linux. I'm not all that computer literate and I NEED MSOffice.

Are you familiar with OpenOffice? Is there something you need it to do that it can't?

Also, a lot of netbooks come cheap when you get them with an internet plan, so while this is a good deal, its easy to pass it up.

Syka
2010-04-05, 12:41 PM
I'm trying to replace my dying laptop. :smallfrown:

I'll probably pass, then. So much is going against it, since I need to do more than word process (I've begun using Excel/PowerPoint heavily, and I often need to multitask it with all three open plus a web browser).

ETA: Yeah, OO is what's currently on my laptop. It's OK for most stuff, but it is completely lacking for Excel. It apparently doesn't like regression analysis. :smallwink: I have to get on my desktop for that stuff. It's good for basic spreadsheets, but we're doing way more than that in my courses.

Ichneumon
2010-04-05, 01:11 PM
I'd say try to get a 13" laptop form somewhere. 13" laptops are bigger and usually more powerful than a netbook, while still likely relatively cheap.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-04-05, 01:26 PM
Do NOT buy used laptops. Period. You don't know where they've been.

Force
2010-04-05, 04:09 PM
Syka, at my university I can get a copy of Office (I think Ultimate, but might just be Home & Student) for $90 because I'm a student. You should be able to do the same. Not a bad price considering the functionality you get.

As for what others have said, yeah, if you can at all avoid it don't buy a used laptop.

Syka
2010-04-05, 04:20 PM
Syka, at my university I can get a copy of Office (I think Ultimate, but might just be Home & Student) for $90 because I'm a student. You should be able to do the same. Not a bad price considering the functionality you get.

As for what others have said, yeah, if you can at all avoid it don't buy a used laptop.

I found it for 59$ :D Some special or something on the Microsoft website. I'm mostly waiting until I get my new computer, unless it's possible to transfer the copy from my dying computer to a new one?

Winter_Wolf
2010-04-05, 05:01 PM
I found it for 59$ :D Some special or something on the Microsoft website. I'm mostly waiting until I get my new computer, unless it's possible to transfer the copy from my dying computer to a new one?

It depends on how old your copy of Office is, but my experience is that I bought a copy of Office XP for my very first Windows based laptop and have been using it ever since. Granted, I was waiting at least two years between installs, but after X number of installs with internet verification I finally had to call their hotline and do the nasty business of phone verification, but I say give it a shot. I should also mention that my copy of Office is retail and not OEM, which probably makes a difference. Give it a shot, if it doesn't work you can go for the deal later.

Syka
2010-04-05, 05:30 PM
I was more wondering if I bought a copy of windows and put it on my current laptop (the dying one), and get a new laptop soon-ish, could I transfer it without an issue.

I'm assuming as long as I keep the product code or whatever I should be able to?

If so...I might shell out for Office this week. I'm so tired of dealing with OpenOffice Calc and it's issues with regression analysis. :smallsigh:

Force
2010-04-05, 07:12 PM

Ooh, the ultimate special? Yeah, I got that too. You should be able to re-download it from Microsoft; did you opt for the backup media?

Syka
2010-04-05, 07:59 PM
Ooh, the ultimate special? Yeah, I got that too. You should be able to re-download it from Microsoft; did you opt for the backup media?

Haven't done it yet but I probably will since apparently I can transfer it to another computer. :smallbiggrin: