PDA

View Full Version : Magic Weapon Variant Spell (PEACH)

Lysander
2010-04-05, 12:51 PM
Here's a magic weapon spell that has no duration but only provides one magical attack. Could be useful though for a single high damage attack, like a sneak attack. The spell also lets you build up stockpiles of magical ammunition over time for free, but it takes a while since each arrow has to be enchanted individually.

Imbue Weapon
Transmutation
Level: Clr 1, Pal 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Weapon touched
Duration: Permanent until discharged
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless, object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless, object)

Imbue weapon gives a weapon a +1 enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls that expires after the next time the weapon makes an attack. (An enhancement bonus does not stack with a masterwork weapon’s +1 bonus on attack rolls.)

You may enchant a ranged weapon, which bestows its benefit on the first piece of ammunition fired, or you can enchant an individual unit of ammunition.

You can’t cast this spell on a natural weapon, such as an unarmed strike (instead, see magic fang). A monk’s unarmed strike is considered a weapon, and thus it can be enhanced by this spell.

Wannabehero
2010-04-05, 05:47 PM
Magic Weapon already does this, is a 1st level Cleric, Paladin, and Wiz/Sor spell, and lasts 1min/lvl. Did you instead mean this to be a 0-lvl spell Cantrip or Orison?

If so, then I think a short duration would be in order, such as 2 rounds/lvl or until first used. Seems just about on par with other 0-lvl spell powers, possibly just a little to powerful but hey, we all know some spells are plain better than others.

Temotei
2010-04-05, 05:48 PM
Magic Weapon already does this, is a 1st level Cleric, Paladin, and Wiz/Sor spell, and lasts 1min/lvl. Did you instead mean this to be a 0-lvl spell Cantrip or Orison?

If so, then I think a short duration would be in order, such as 2 rounds/lvl or until first used. Seems just about on par with other 0-lvl spell powers, possibly just a little to powerful but hey, we all know some spells are plain better than others.

That's no reason to follow their lead.

Eurus
2010-04-05, 05:59 PM
I assume the idea was to replace Magic Weapon with this, which I don't really see a problem with (assuming you also make a greater version to replace Greater Magic Weapon), since it would at least make buying an actual enhancement bonus on your weapon higher than +1 not be a complete waste of money.

Corporate M
2010-04-05, 06:27 PM
If you really want to change magic weapon, I'd change it into a better level 1 spell, not a better level 0.

Scale it. Something like "gains an enhancement bonus of +1, and an additional 1 every four levels thereafter. (To a maximum of +6 at level 20)"

I'd still much rather be using true strike+power attack feat as a mage-warrior. But atleast its a decent level 1 option now.

Melayl
2010-04-05, 07:41 PM
I think it's fine. It is meant, I assume, to just stockpile low-bonus items. I think it best for use with ammunition, since that's generally single-use anyway. I might suggest dropping it to 0th level, but I think the permanent (until discharged) duration warrants 1st. It's not a spell many would prepare for a day of adventuring, but it is one I'd prepare multiples of every day for weeks before adventuring.

A scaling ability to it might not be bad, but I'd go no higher than +3 (otherwise this would totally be more cost effective for ammo than the standard magic weapon creation).