PDA

View Full Version : Feat: Rapid Strike [PEACH]

BRC
2010-04-05, 01:12 PM
Rapid Strike (General)
Requirements:
BAB+6
Two Weapon Fighting

If you are wielding a one or light handed weapon in your main hand and nothing in your off hand, you may make an extra attack on a full attack action, though all attacks take a -4 penalty if the weapon is one-handed or a -2 penalty if the weapon is light. Effectively, you may use two weapon fighting with only one weapon as if you were wielding that weapon in both hands.
Special: You gain additional attacks if you take the feat Improved Two Weapon Fighting and Greater Two Weapon Fighting just as if you were wielding a second weapon.
A fighter may selected Rapid Strike as one of his fighter bonus feats. This feat has two purposes. First, it allows the awesome "Dude with just a sword in one hand" type character. Secondly, it makes non Two-hander melee builds easier to use, since you don't need to spend extra money on a second weapon.

Anasazi
2010-04-05, 01:27 PM
an interesting take, it seams somewhat balanced, my only worry is its combination with prestige classes that take advantage of the benefits of only using one weapon. But other than that, it seems balanced.

Temotei
2010-04-05, 01:42 PM
The BAB requirement is somewhat harsh. I'd let that come in at +1 or have no BAB requirement at all. Poor rogues.

I'd also get rid of the Two-Weapon Fighting requirement and make a few other feats for one-handers. It's smoother that way, and the people who want this don't have to take Two-Weapon Fighting (another feat used up).

I'd even do something like combine Two-Weapon Defense and Two-Weapon Fighting into one, then rename it to a proper one-hander-style name.

The name is a little off. A rapid strike could be done by anyone, really. That name should go to a feat doing something along the lines of making a foe flat-footed for one attack per encounter (or something).

BRC
2010-04-05, 01:47 PM
The BAB requirement is somewhat harsh. I'd let that come in at +1 or have no BAB requirement at all. Poor rogues.

I'd also get rid of the Two-Weapon Fighting requirement and make a few other feats for one-handers. It's smoother that way, and the people who want this don't have to take Two-Weapon Fighting (another feat used up).

I'd even do something like combine Two-Weapon Defense and Two-Weapon Fighting into one, then rename it.
Well the thing is, let's look at the pros of this feat vs TWF
TWF you can main hand a One-Hander and off-hand a light weapon at no extra penalty (Compared to wielding a light weapon in both hands). With Rapid Strike you can't do that.
With this feat you can save a good deal of money by only buying one magic weapon instead of two.

Temotei
2010-04-05, 01:51 PM
Well the thing is, let's look at the pros of this feat vs TWF
TWF you can main hand a One-Hander and off-hand a light weapon at no extra penalty (Compared to wielding a light weapon in both hands). With Rapid Strike you can't do that.
With this feat you can save a good deal of money by only buying one magic weapon instead of two.

Two-Weapon Fighting is also such a feat-heavy choice that you really shouldn't have to do that. That's why I would get rid of the Two-Weapon Fighting requirement. That's just another feat you have to spend to be effective in your character's fighting style. At level 6, minimum.

Wannabehero
2010-04-05, 01:53 PM
I agree, it is an interesting take on a situation.

I can see this as improving certain PrC's, such as the duelist, immensely. And that is a good thing.

I agree with lowering or removing the BAB requirement.

Tinydwarfman
2010-04-06, 03:08 PM
Isn't there already a monster feat called rapid strike?

imp_fireball
2010-04-06, 03:22 PM
Yah, change it to 'swashing strike' or 'belligerent strike'.

Cieyrin
2010-04-06, 03:48 PM
Isn't there already a monster feat called rapid strike?

Rapidstrike (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Rapidstrike) does indeed exist, as well as an improved version.

I also vaguely recall Arcana Evolved having something very similar to this feat, though it was sillily limited by having a uses/day clause to it.

Speaking of the Arcana Evolved version, why not build this more like a melee version of Rapid Shot? +1 attack at -2 to all? A flurry is a flurry is a flurry and I think this should likewise follow.

As for an alternative name, I suggest Rapid Assault. Also making this accessible at an earlier level would be nice as well, if you want to justify One-Hander style from the get-go.

imp_fireball
2010-04-06, 07:44 PM
Rapid assault was my name for Cervantes leaping dual back stab executioner combo that only applies while he is flatfooted!

Anyway, make it so that it only applies to weapons wielded in the PC's main hand. Hence, they'd need ambi-dexterous to apply it to both weapons and receive even more attacks.