PDA

View Full Version : Found Wyvern eggs for raising! :O

Flail_master
2010-04-05, 03:36 PM
well ok basically, half our party (other half was unavailable) was out doing a sort of side quest to pass the time, me included, it was an already printed wizards of the coast campaign that our DM was using/modifying for our enjoyment.
We were told by a sphinx spirit (who was killed by kobolds... how in the holy hell?) that he had some treasure he was willing to give us if he killed the kobolds that killed him (weakened kobolds! they were weakened from their normal state to have 2 health!?!?! wth?) so we did naturally otherwise, what? just not play?... anyways on the way to the cave we encounter a wyvern (something the sphinx failed to mention) and we absolutely destroy it with a chain of interesting events, including my paladin slicing off a massive chunk off its chest with a crit so its heart was visible, our half-dragon monk then proceeded to rip out its heart while my lion grappled it :D

as it turns out it was a female wyvern, a pregnant female wyvern, so in the process of chipping off its scales for later use to bolster a shield and cutting off its poison sac for our rogue to use, as well as obtaining several trail rations and a meal for my lion from its flesh, leaving this thing nothing more than a bloodied skeleton... talk about using what u have available to you, we found 3 fertilised eggs!

i then found out that using my pallys handle animal skill i can actually hatch and raise these wyverns! i however have a feeling that our DM did not know or anticipate this.

We are already an 7-8 man party at level 5-7, we already find it difficult to get difficult encounters! I wanted to ask (after a lengthy intro apparently) whether possibly 3 CR 6 wyverns could make our party seriously unbeatable!? and i would assume they level too!?

Lysander
2010-04-05, 03:58 PM
Can you actually raise them with your handle animal skill though? Training a magical creature like the wyvern is usually a DC60 + creature's HD check.

Flail_master
2010-04-05, 04:04 PM
far as i read its DC 15 plus its HD... it may be diff for magical creature but im pretty sure it just said the creature nothin specific

drakir_nosslin
2010-04-05, 04:10 PM
Epic Handle Animal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#handleAnimal)
The DC for rearing a Magical Beast is 30+HD, training is 40+HD, so I don't think that your DM needs to worry too much right now.

Lysander
2010-04-05, 04:16 PM
Epic Handle Animal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#handleAnimal)
The DC for rearing a Magical Beast is 30+HD, training is 40+HD, so I don't think that your DM needs to worry too much right now.

It gets even harder because technically a wyvern isn't a "magical beast", it's a dragon, and so it falls under the even more difficult "other creature" category.

drakir_nosslin
2010-04-05, 04:17 PM
It gets even harder because technically a wyvern isn't a "magical beast", it's a dragon, and so it falls under the even more difficult "other creature" category.

Ah, that's true, thanks.

Flail_master
2010-04-05, 04:22 PM
huh fair dous, what was the skill in the PHB reffering to then?

... soley animals?

drakir_nosslin
2010-04-05, 04:32 PM
huh fair dous, what was the skill in the PHB reffering to then?

... soley animals?

Pretty much, yea...

herrhauptmann
2010-04-05, 06:34 PM
(who was killed by kobolds... how in the holy hell?)

Tuckers Kobolds man. Tuckers effing kobolds.

Jack_Simth
2010-04-05, 06:41 PM
Tuckers Kobolds pretty much require you to chase after them, though....

FlamingKobold
2010-04-05, 06:54 PM
There are specific rules for training dragons from birth that require diplomacy rather than handle animal. I think it's in the A&EG.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-04-05, 06:58 PM

Alternatively: Pun-Pun.

arguskos
2010-04-05, 07:00 PM
Sell the eggs. Don't bother raising them, since it's crazily difficult and not really worth it for the effort. Find someone who wants them, and sell them to him for a tidy profit. Alternatively, have Wyvern omelette's.

IonDragon
2010-04-06, 02:12 AM
I think you're using the wrong numbers for Handle Animal. A hippogriff (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/hippogriff.htm) is a Magical Beast of 3 HD and requires a DC 25 Handle Animal check to raise. A pegasus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/pegasus.htm) is also a Magical Beast of 4 HD, and requires the same check.

Further, aren't all creatures 1 HD at birth?

Flail_master
2010-04-06, 04:42 AM
I think you're using the wrong numbers for Handle Animal. A hippogriff (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/hippogriff.htm) is a Magical Beast of 3 HD and requires a DC 25 Handle Animal check to raise. A pegasus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/pegasus.htm) is also a Magical Beast of 4 HD, and requires the same check.

Further, aren't all creatures 1 HD at birth?

hmmm... point made, im still willing to question this :P

herbe
2010-04-06, 11:52 AM
Wyvern is a dragon not a magical beast. Look at MM1 pg 259

Akal Saris
2010-04-06, 12:13 PM
First off, congratulations! I'm jealous - we never find cool stuff like this in the games I play in :P

I just saw Rescuers Down Under last night, so immediately I thought of the Golden Eagle and how valuable its eggs were to the evil poacher! Also, having a pet wyvern that acted like Joanna (the poacher's water monitor) would be so adorable :P

Assuming you're playing in 3.0/3.5, Arms and Equipment Pg. 87 lists the Handle Animal DC for wyverns. It's DC 25 for young and newly hatched, and DC 32 for adults. Price: 3,000g for young, another 3,000g to hire somebody to train it.

"Despite its claws and wicked sting, a wyvern is a far safer mount than one of its more intelligent cousins. Once caught and tamed, a wyvern behaves predictably and follows relatively standard training procedures.

Though reputably stupid, wyverns are better described as "tactically challenged." When properly disciplined and cared for, a wyvern can learn many different commands and follow complex orders, even away from its master. However, if it is confused or hurt without a master to issue orders, it reverts to instinct and attacks the source of its discomfort. A wyvern can never be domesticated."

Personally, I'd try to raise the wyverns, but consider leaving them at home with a responsible NPC except for major adventures, since three well-trained wyverns will likely make it a bit more difficult for the DM to challenge you appropriately. Oh, and don't forget to harvest poison from the young ones and sell that - a single dose of concentrated wyvern venom is worth 3,000g!

awa
2010-04-06, 05:33 PM
Handle animal (in 3.5 arms and equipment is 3.0 so i dont know about that) only works on creatures of int 1 or 2 and while a wyvern is not very smart is is 3 times two smart to be trained by handle animal.

This is like asking if you can use handle animal on a baby ogre (ogres and wyverns have the same base int)

Akal Saris
2010-04-07, 12:04 AM
Oh, come on. Wyverns in D&D are meant to be ridden into battle, and there's specific rules for it in an book. Just let it happen already!

IonDragon
2010-04-07, 12:26 AM
Handle animal (in 3.5 arms and equipment is 3.0 so i dont know about that) only works on creatures of int 1 or 2 and while a wyvern is not very smart is is 3 times two smart to be trained by handle animal.

This is like asking if you can use handle animal on a baby ogre (ogres and wyverns have the same base int)

See my Pegasus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/pegasus.htm) argument again. A Pegasus has a HIGHER Int and is listed as tamable. Not only that, but they have the Intelligence to cast spells. As for training an ogre, slavery is not illegal everywhere in many D&D worlds.

Flail_master
2010-04-07, 05:49 AM
First off, congratulations! I'm jealous - we never find cool stuff like this in the games I play in :P

I just saw Rescuers Down Under last night, so immediately I thought of the Golden Eagle and how valuable its eggs were to the evil poacher! Also, having a pet wyvern that acted like Joanna (the poacher's water monitor) would be so adorable :P

Assuming you're playing in 3.0/3.5, Arms and Equipment Pg. 87 lists the Handle Animal DC for wyverns. It's DC 25 for young and newly hatched, and DC 32 for adults. Price: 3,000g for young, another 3,000g to hire somebody to train it.

"Despite its claws and wicked sting, a wyvern is a far safer mount than one of its more intelligent cousins. Once caught and tamed, a wyvern behaves predictably and follows relatively standard training procedures.

Though reputably stupid, wyverns are better described as "tactically challenged." When properly disciplined and cared for, a wyvern can learn many different commands and follow complex orders, even away from its master. However, if it is confused or hurt without a master to issue orders, it reverts to instinct and attacks the source of its discomfort. A wyvern can never be domesticated."

Personally, I'd try to raise the wyverns, but consider leaving them at home with a responsible NPC except for major adventures, since three well-trained wyverns will likely make it a bit more difficult for the DM to challenge you appropriately. Oh, and don't forget to harvest poison from the young ones and sell that - a single dose of concentrated wyvern venom is worth 3,000g!

AH sweet man, thanks i think this settles it for me :P i shall tell the guys but im definitely gonna do it now :)

Kaiyanwang
2010-04-07, 06:10 AM
As far as I know, reading all the sources:

- By PH:

You can handle animals for the standard DCs

You can handle beings different from animals if their int score is 1 or 2. -5 to the check.

- By monster manual:

Some monster can be handled regardless what said above, is explicitly pointed out by the final part of its description. Costs and DCs are reported.

- By DoTU:

You can train vermin if you have a feat. Some vermin can be handled anyway, is reported in the description (few spiders in this book).

- By ELH, Epic Handle Animal skill

IF NOTHING OF THE ABOVE APPLIES, use the "zomg" DCs reported (as an example, the 40+HD).

This allows to train cool things smarter than you and without a description about handling them like a Phoenix or a Thunderbird.

A&EG case, IMHO, is like MM or DoTU: Specific overrides generic.

If there is a source that allows it, IMHO you can do it at the DC pointed out by Akal Saris.

LibraryOgre
2010-04-07, 02:19 PM
I agree with the "sell them to someone else" idea, but I would say that training a wyvern would actually be a combination of Diplomacy, Intimidation, and Handle Animal. They're intelligent creatures, so you can use Diplomacy to convince them of things. They're stubborn sons-of-dracoliches, so you need to intimidate them every so often, and Handle Animal will give you proficiency in teaching things to accept riders and fight in concert with them.

Akal Saris
2010-04-07, 02:44 PM
AH sweet man, thanks i think this settles it for me :P i shall tell the guys but im definitely gonna do it now :)

Glad to hear it, good luck! :)