PDA

View Full Version : PCgen 3.X other classes?

Evard
2010-04-05, 04:02 PM
Is there a way to gain other classes for the program to use such as from phb2 or tome of battle? I've never really dealt with the mechanics of it but i have been looking into the preferences and other menu items but no luck so far...

Erith
2010-04-05, 04:57 PM
I do not believe so, which is sad because I love that program. The best I could do was recreate the urpriest caster level progression and give spell books an arbitrary number of pages.

Evard
2010-04-05, 05:01 PM
Is there any other free generators out there that is like pcgen and the ability to put classes into it?

Also is there an online version? I'm not talking about the javascript ones since they don't explain most things...

playswithfire
2010-04-05, 05:07 PM
Poking around the subversion repository, it looks like it should be possible to at least do the PHBII classes with a custom .lst file. Tome of Battle would be more complicated, since it doesn't have a concept of maneuvers unless you fake them as spells. Seems to be a fairly powerful and customizable tool, but the learning curve looks pretty steep.

The legal issues of incorporating content not under OGL probably make doing so for anything other than personal use more trouble than its worth, though.

Erith
2010-04-05, 05:11 PM
There's always hero forge. Unfortunately, it always runs slowly for me, no matter what I run it on. It still has a problem with not explaining things too well, but at least it is better than the javascript builder I used to use.

link (http://www.nzcomputers.net/heroforge/default35.asp)

Evard
2010-04-05, 05:11 PM
how do you do the custom classes with a custom.lst file?

Allanimal
2010-04-25, 05:22 PM
how do you do the custom classes with a custom.lst file?

I have played with custom data sets and added a couple classes, feats, etc. here & there. I think your best bet is to start with the SRD class list file to see how it is done. Keep the list file documentation (found here: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/ ) open to understand what the various tags mean. The first one or two are pretty slow going, but after that it gets easier.

Heliomance
2010-04-25, 05:26 PM
HeroForge, definitely. It's incredibly customisable - being made in Excel, modifying stuff is mostly just a case of unhiding the right tab and adding in a few cells.

Tinydwarfman
2010-04-25, 05:38 PM
Heroforge is fantastic. You have to use Spellforge for spells, but it does almost every book, and even accepts homebrew.

Thurbane
2010-04-25, 07:48 PM
It is definitely possible to manually add classes to PC Gen...however, it can be extremely difficult, and there are some class features that may be beyond PC Gen's ability to list. I would strongly suggest reading the tutorial in the program, and looking for online assistance.

Allanimal
2010-04-26, 10:58 AM
It is definitely possible to manually add classes to PC Gen...however, it can be extremely difficult, and there are some class features that may be beyond PC Gen's ability to list.

That's true. I did fairly easy things like Duskblade, Hellreaver, & Bear Warrior. I am pretty sure the ToB stuff would be hard to do. You may be able to make maneuvers & stances like spells, but I am not so sure it can be done properly.