PDA

View Full Version : About Goblins...

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-04-05, 04:21 PM
How come OOTS goblins are so large? :smallconfused:

Shale
2010-04-05, 04:23 PM
Because if they all looked like green Belkars they wouldn't be as sympathetic, or as credible a threat.

BRC
2010-04-05, 04:25 PM
They arn't, they just look that way because there is no mind control, I will go back to my fun.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-04-05, 04:26 PM
But in the MM goblins are small and that's bugged me since 2003 when the comic came out. :smallconfused:

BRC
2010-04-05, 04:28 PM
But in the MM goblins are small and that's bugged me since 2003 when the comic came out. :smallconfused:
It basically boils down to "Rich decided to make them medium sized, and it's his comic".

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2010-04-05, 04:29 PM
If OotS goblins were small I wouldn't be able to lean my elbow against people's shoulders while smoking. Clearly, this would be a crime that could not be allowed.

Or drape my arm across people's shoulders while singing, for that matter. And then they'd get away before the chorus.

Shale
2010-04-05, 04:29 PM
Small goblins would get in the way of the story Rich wants to tell, so they're not Small. Simple as that. It's the cardinal rule of D&D: when the rules get in the way of fun, change the rules.

Draconi Redfir
2010-04-05, 04:30 PM
OOTSverse=/=MMverse.

the almighty giant may have just had an easier time drawing medium-sized creatures, and since Goblins would make so many appearances throughout DCF, he decided to make them bigger to make the job easier.

Dr.Epic
2010-04-05, 04:37 PM

Why's Celia so large? Sylphs supposed to be small.

NerfTW
2010-04-05, 04:41 PM
He's said before that it's because it looked better to have them medium sized. They're a more credible threat and look more imposing in frame. Notice how difficult it is to fit Belkar in frame, and multiply that by all the goblins in the early strips.

Drawing isn't an issue. You do realize all the characters are from templates, not hand drawn every time, right?

Lecan
2010-04-05, 06:30 PM

Roy wondered that same thing.

ThePhantasm
2010-04-05, 08:03 PM
How is it a big deal? Goblins are portrayed in all sorts of ways in different games and different fantasy stories.

Drolyt
2010-04-05, 08:12 PM

How come D&D Goblins are so small?

Because the creator said so!

KiwiImperator
2010-04-05, 08:54 PM
It was to make them look more serious in confrontation, and to make them easier to empathize with.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-04-05, 08:59 PM
Yes, but the giant could have used orcs or hobos.

Kish
2010-04-05, 09:01 PM
Why would he have done that? He doesn't care about goblins being Small in D&D.

Sholos
2010-04-05, 09:06 PM

Yes, but he didn't. I don't see why you're so worked up about a completely worthless detail like goblins being the "wrong" size. You can't get caught up in the myriad ways that OotS does not follow RAW, because there's way too many.

Besides, goblins are the goto evil-critter for low-level characters to slaughter for XP, which given the world's backstory makes them a perfect choice for main villain. It's also a nice subversion that one of the main threats is a creature that no high level character would be afraid of.

Haven
2010-04-05, 09:19 PM

or hobos

:smallconfused:

Herald Alberich
2010-04-05, 10:45 PM
I presume he meant hobbos, the board's shorthand for hobgoblins, which are Medium in D&D.

The Wanderer
2010-04-05, 10:56 PM
Because the Monster Manual only applies to Rich's story when he decides it does. Whenever he wants to he can disregard it, because 1) it's his story, and 2) this isn't a D&D campaign.

End of thread. Nothing else needs to be said.

Optimystik
2010-04-05, 11:09 PM
They arn't, they just look that way because there is no mind control, I will go back to my fun.

That's a rather suspicious way of answering...

*Rolls Sense Motive*

The Wanderer
2010-04-05, 11:18 PM
That's a rather suspicious way of answering...

*Rolls Sense Motive*

*Rolls too*

*Gets a 1*

I don't know what you're talking about, Optimystik. Of course there's no mind control here, why in the world would there any mind control going on?

So, have you heard the latest of what is going on with the GITP forum's war with Eastasia? :smallwink: :smallsmile:

erictheredd
2010-04-05, 11:20 PM
I think part of it has to do with the way D&D is played-- everyone always remembers that the short characters are small, but in my experience, people don't really think of goblins as being these terrificly small people-- they're nondescript weak(and therefore small) monsters. someone says "halfling" and you think "short". someone says "goblin" and you think "really easy"--not "short". also, goblins are common in fantasy, and they are rarely "small" (D&D)-- they are more just "smaller than humans"

Killer Angel
2010-04-06, 12:14 AM
Don't worry OP, this is one of the various thing that really don't matters: little differences between D&D and OotS are common.

why in the world would there any mind control going on?

I don't know, I was gone back to my fun a long time ago.

Scarlet Knight
2010-04-06, 11:36 AM

Roy wondered that same thing.

Maybe the "Trouser Titan" is a misnomer? :smallredface:

doodthedud
2010-04-06, 11:46 AM
{scrubbed}

The Wanderer
2010-04-06, 12:55 PM
{scrubbed}
Killing the hobgoblin prisoner was the only sensible choice in the situation.

Out of curiosity, exactly how sarcastic are you being here? Because if you're saying and meaning all of those points without any irony, you might have to count The Giant himself as one of those forum douches, since he has said that he is intentionally throwing a number of those points into doubt.

Callista
2010-04-06, 01:00 PM
I think it's an art thing. Probably a matter of wanting to use something orc-like without triggering the "too stupid to tie my own shoes" orc stereotype.

doodthedud
2010-04-06, 01:02 PM
Out of curiosity, exactly how sarcastic are you being here? Because if you're saying and meaning all of those points without any irony, you might have to count The Giant himself as one of those forum douches, since he has said that he is intentionally throwing a number of those points into doubt.

I know he is, which is entirely why i stand by my opinions on the matters and hate when people assert the opposite is true, it's just that, they are meant to be QUESTIONABLE, that doesn't mean you take the opposite and say that that's true instead, it means you go back and forth about why and how these things are how they are, and are always guessing who is the bad guy.

And yes, I do firmly believe the elves were entirely in the right and that familicide was 100% justified.

Wulfang
2010-04-06, 01:05 PM
And yes, I do firmly believe the elves were entirely in the right and that familicide was 100% justified.

Then please keep yourself out of any military or political careers, will ya?

The Wanderer
2010-04-06, 01:12 PM
familicide was 100% justified.

So, just to make this clear in real world terms, if you do some sort of wrong to me, it's okay for me to kill your brothers, sisters, children, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc?

BRC
2010-04-06, 01:16 PM
Doodthedud, can I ask you a question.

Do you hold these opinions, concerning Familicide, The Elves actions, ect, because you looked at them and came to conclusions about the specific situation, for example, that the risk of taking a Hobgoblin who had no real loyalty to the Azurite cause into the resistance was too much, so they killed him.
Or do you just think "All Goblinoids are evil, therefore, there is nothing wrong with killing them for any reason".

Also, have you read Start of Darkness?

Kish
2010-04-06, 01:21 PM
Wulfang, can I ask you a question.
You might want to reevaluate whom you want to be addressing.

Wulfang
2010-04-06, 01:23 PM
Wulfang, can I ask you a question.

Do you hold these opinions, concerning Familicide, The Elves actions, ect, because you looked at them and came to conclusions about the specific situation, for example, that the risk of taking a Hobgoblin who had no real loyalty to the Azurite cause into the resistance was too much, so they killed him.
Or do you just think "All Goblinoids are evil, therefore, there is nothing wrong with killing them for any reason".

Also, have you read Start of Darkness?

I think you meant doodthedud...

BRC
2010-04-06, 01:23 PM
I think you meant doodthedud...
I did, and you can't prove I said otherwise.

Gift Jeraff
2010-04-06, 05:50 PM
You haven't seen weird-looking goblins until you've seen Final Fantasy XIII's goblins (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM6fOlvD-uQ).

Dr.Epic
2010-04-07, 04:45 AM

Orc cleric? Really? I doubt they'd have the intelligence required to do all the stuff Red Cloak does.