PDA

View Full Version : Will the ritual be completed? (Possible SoD spoilers)

Procyonpi
2010-04-05, 04:40 PM
You know, the big one. Involving the snarl, the gates and a high level caster of both the divine and arcane variety. I'm interested in people's opinions.

I personally feel that it's likely, because there's a lot of unresolved dramatic tension surrounding what the ritual actually does and the nature of the snarl in the first place. It'd be sorta anti-climactic if none of that got resolved... although I could also see all 5 gates being destroyed. Discuss.

Edit: Also, what do you think will actually happen if / when the ritual gets completed? Somehow, I feel things wouldn't dish out exactly as Redcloak expected.

Swordpriest
2010-04-05, 04:56 PM
It's hard to predict if the ritual will be completed, but I personally think it's a fairly good possibility. The revelation of a world inside the Snarl's prison pretty much demands that the climax of the story involve that element, so having a world exist in there might alter the outcome of the ritual in very interesting ways.

Magicyop
2010-04-05, 06:22 PM
Unless, unless the ritual works exactly as planned, and seizes control of the gate at the dark one's direction... but a floating hunk of rock is much less threatening to the gods than an unstoppable killing machine.

Lecan
2010-04-05, 07:00 PM
You know, it kind of begs the question why RC hasn't had something that can fly go up and peek in the giant rift. They had flying zombies, but those may have all been killed. Surely one of the wizards has a familiar like V's, or RC could summon a bird of some sort that could possibly report back.

NerfTW
2010-04-05, 07:08 PM
At this point we can't even be sure the ritual works as Red Cloak thinks it does.

There's WAY too many questions to be answered:

What is the true nature of the Snarl?
Is the story we heard from Shojo even remotely true?
Is the Snarl dormant?
Is there even a Snarl to begin with, or is it a philosophical concept created to explain something larger to mortal minds?
Is "The Plan"(TM) accurate, or is the Dark One misleading Red Cloak as well.

And of course:
Does Red Cloak know this, because (good point Lecan) it does raise the question of why he didn't have someone fly up and look in. A good reason is that he feared waking up the Snarl or losing troops if it was an "only when they're within 5 feet of the portal" type thing.

Conuly
2010-04-05, 07:59 PM
You know, it kind of begs the question why RC hasn't had something that can fly go up and peek in the giant rift. They had flying zombies, but those may have all been killed.

If he'd done that then he'd know as much as we do, or even more. We can't have that, can we?