PDA

View Full Version : Other than....

Loki Eremes
2010-04-05, 06:22 PM
Hi there people
got a doubt...

DMing a lvl 20 one shot last night...
Have this PC friend of mine that casted Freedom of movement on himself, and said "yay!"

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/freedomOfMovement.htm

The problem is: He's Quadriplegic.

Will Freedom of movement work?

Gorbash
2010-04-05, 06:24 PM
Putting the idea of Quadriplegic character aside...

How did he cast the spell if he's quadriplegic, to begin with?

And no, it wouldn't work. Paralysis effect isn't the same as parlaysis induced by a sickness. Heal/Regenerate would work, though.

TaintedLight
2010-04-05, 06:25 PM
This spell enables you or a creature you touch to move and attack normally for the duration of the spell, even under the influence of magic that usually impedes movement, such as paralysis, solid fog, slow, and web.

I'd go with no. The condition preventing him from moving is not magical in nature and he has no *normal* mode of movement.

Yora
2010-04-05, 06:25 PM
It will work so far that no magical effects that restrict his movement have an effect on him.
It doesn't help against nonmagial restrictions.

AslanCross
2010-04-05, 06:26 PM
Probably not a good idea to refer to real life religion in your title.

Anyway, Freedom of Movement allows him to move normally.

Normally, in his case, is "cannot move." Freedom of Movement, by my reading, cannot make someone who has been Dex-drained to 0 move again.

EDIT: Ninja'd several times, and what Gorbash said. Freedom of Movement has V/S/M/DF components. He can neither retrieve the material components (unless someone put them in his hand) nor make the somatic gestures.

Loki Eremes
2010-04-05, 06:29 PM
Probably not a good idea to refer to real life religion in your title.

Why not??????
Im not ofending anybody though...

Heliomance
2010-04-05, 06:33 PM
Against the forum rules. And you never know if it'll offend someone; religion's a very touchy subject.

Verdict: Freedom of Movement won't do jack. Iron Heart Surge would work, though.

AslanCross
2010-04-05, 06:35 PM
Why not??????
Im not ofending anybody though...

Forum rules. You may not intend it, but others may not see it the way you do. The rules say it's strictly forbidden. As far as I've seen, there are no excuses or concessions.

Deca
2010-04-05, 06:35 PM
Does he have Stilled Spell or something?

NekoJoker
2010-04-05, 06:36 PM
Verdict: Freedom of Movement won't do jack. Iron Heart Surge would work, though.

And thus thy lord sayeth. Thou shalt use the Tome of Battle.

An he casteth his gaze upon the holy book, and he saw its brokenness, and it was good

GOD ALMIGHTY!!

GOD ALMIGHTY!!

GOD ALMIGHTY!!

(just had to do that. Hope I don't get banned lol)

Loki Eremes
2010-04-05, 06:40 PM
sry, I didn't express myself correctly
Someone casted it on him.

herrhauptmann
2010-04-05, 06:46 PM
Would he be able to cast it if he used a lot of metamagics?
Still spell, eschew materials, what else?
But even if he can do it, why make a quad'd character? Need a lot of magic just to get your character to the adventure site. And you'd use up your highest level slots just to cast your mid levels.
Your low levels would be essentially useless, unless you put those metas on your cantrips, using up a 3rd level slot or higher.

Did you mean a paraplegic character? One who has lost use of their legs?
Depending on the reason for lack of mobility, you could do a few of the following.
Die and reincarnate. Though you might come back as an orc or something.
Have fighter chop the useless limbs off while cleric has a readied action for regenerate (or whichever gives back limbs). But DM might rule you die if the fighter cuts your body in half at the bellybutton. In which case, a resurrection/true resurrection should give you back an intact body.
(True) Resurrection might only work if the reason for the paralysis is due to an injury you sustained. If you didn't have mobility from birth, those spells wouldn't help you.

Are you playing Stephen Hawking?

NekoJoker
2010-04-05, 06:54 PM
Are you playing Stephen Hawking?

Well... Stephen Hawking would be an Epic wizard if he was on Greyhawk wouldn't he? :smallbiggrin:

lsfreak
2010-04-05, 06:59 PM
This spell enables you or a creature you touch to move and attack normally
Emphasis added. Normally, for him, is still 'not at all.' It doesn't grant him the ability to attack/move when he couldn't in the first place.

Loki Eremes
2010-04-05, 07:06 PM
one word: WheelChair xD