PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 - How to get back to Material from Etherial

Natael
2010-04-05, 07:03 PM
I got hit with a prismatic spray and trapped in the etherial plane, with no clue on how to get back to the material.

Difficulty: Party is about 7th level and I am a non-magic variant ranger.
Bonus: I have a blink dog companion

Flickerdart
2010-04-05, 07:11 PM
You'll have to track down a wizard or cleric with Plane Shift, essentially.

Natael
2010-04-05, 07:15 PM
But they would have to switch to the etherial plane to cast it on me, and for them to planeshift to me, they would wind up X number of miles away from the casting of the spell in a random direction?

Flickerdart
2010-04-05, 07:26 PM
Well, you could find a Wizard who is under the effects of Ethereal Jaunt, at which point he'd Plane Shift you without having to go through too much trouble.

krossbow
2010-04-05, 07:30 PM
"Uh, hi; nice weather. I seemed to be, well, um, doomed. Mind saving me?"

Claudius Maximus
2010-04-05, 07:31 PM
You could always try to find one of those colored curtains. The silver ones lead back to the material plane, if memory serves. This may depend on your edition though.

Lysander
2010-04-05, 07:55 PM
Hire a wizard to retrieve you with plane shift and teleport, using the spellcasting service prices. The minimum price for two castings of plane shift and teleport (once to get there, once to return with you) cast by a level 13 wizard is 3120gp. All you have to do is not starve to death or be killed by ghosts until the party can find someone of sufficient level. Time for them to make gather information checks.

If you'd otherwise starve to death go and find a basilisk and stare at it in the eyes. Gaze attacks carry to the ethereal plane so you could preserve yourself as a statue until your party can come by with a plane shift and stone to flesh.

TheMadLinguist
2010-04-05, 08:45 PM
Have a bag of holding? Hand it to a friendly ghost, crawl into it, and have him use manifestation to appear on the material plane and dump out your stuff.

Or, I suppose, just die and become a ghost.

herrhauptmann
2010-04-05, 09:06 PM
Lysander, how's he supposed to hire the wizard if he's already stuck on the Ethereal?
I like the "find a silver curtain" are those like naturally occuring gates between the ethereal and material planes?

To OP: What's the rest of the party up to? What are their resources? You might be able to follow them (effectively haunt them) until they can purchase the services of a wizard.

Starbuck_II
2010-04-05, 09:13 PM
I got hit with a prismatic spray and trapped in the etherial plane, with no clue on how to get back to the material.

Is your character religious? There is Divine intervention as a possibility. Just pray really hard. Yours is the prayer that will pierce the very heavens!

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-05, 09:17 PM
Reload your auto-save?

Also, go kill things, level up and grab Iron Heart Surge as an initiator.

Jack_Simth
2010-04-05, 09:23 PM

For the most part, that's "hope the DM throws you a bone", "roll Survival until your party can get to a place where there's a 13th level Arcanist", or "roll up a new character".

Optimystik
2010-04-05, 09:31 PM
Lysander, how's he supposed to hire the wizard if he's already stuck on the Ethereal?

Find one that's walking around, looking for low tier classes to show charity to.

Eurus
2010-04-05, 09:37 PM
Find one that's walking around, looking for low tier classes to show charity to.

...I may have to use that in a campaign. A random wandering artificer who goes around giving away magic items to people who need a bit of extra help. With a portable hole full of nothing but +30 items of truespeech. :smallbiggrin:

Lysander
2010-04-05, 09:48 PM

The party does it for him. He has a blink dog. It can see and interact with creatures in both planes using blink. Use it to relay a message. If the spell displaced him he'll have to find the party again, but if it shifted him to the same spot on the ethereal then the dog should know he's there right now.

Also, any wizard PC should be entitled to a knowledge arcana and spellcraft check to identify what made him disappear. Once they know he's ethereal they can cast See Invisibility to see him, and he can write messages down or pantomime responses.

Finally, even if all the above can't work for some reason, Sending is just a 4th level spell and works across planes. Presumably a party cleric, if they have one, would try to contact him that way. Or the wizard can scry him and he can deliberately fail his will save.

balistafreak
2010-04-05, 10:04 PM
If you'd otherwise starve to death go and find a basilisk and stare at it in the eyes. Gaze attacks carry to the ethereal plane so you could preserve yourself as a statue until your party can come by with a plane shift and stone to flesh.

... that is both the most brilliant and most disturbing plan I have ever come across.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-04-05, 11:40 PM
First I have to ask why was the DM sending someone or something capable of casting prismatic spray at you Food shouldn't be a problem, the blink dog can simply pick something up on the material plane and drop on on the Ethereal.
That blink has its useses

Now getting home shouldn't cost you two planeshifts, just one casting of blink and a planeshift. A blinking creature can target an ethereal after all.

The problem with planeshifting to you is, you may end up between 5 to 100 miles from your intended destination.

To bad you don't gain the extraplanar subtype on the ethereal, otherwise a 7th level cleric could drink a potion of blink then cast dismissal on you.