PDA

View Full Version : Classes for a Futuristic Commander(3.5)

PersonMan
2010-04-05, 08:20 PM
In an upcoming DnD game I'll be DMing, the BBEG/G are the princess of one of the largest countries in the world and an airship captain that has come to invade and conquer the plane for his Empire.

I've been having trouble finding good classes for him, he needs to be competent with magic and able to handle himself in battle while also, ideally, being self-sufficient and able to provide buffs for allies.

I have most books available(3 of my players are a family and have quite a collection, together we have almost every 3.5 supplement I know of), other than ToB, the Incarnum book, the setting books and the book of Bad Latin.

When they encounter him, the PCs will be around 4th level, mostly mid to low optimization. I want him to be difficult to beat but not undefeatable. Like a video game-style boss battle.

FlamingKobold
2010-04-05, 08:43 PM
Bard. It's got the magic, the leadership abilities and the combat. Perfect.

What's the book of Bad Latin?

JeminiZero
2010-04-05, 08:46 PM
Simple one would be Cleric. Full casting (including "self sufficient" stuff like create food and water) while being reasonably competent in melee without buffs, and an absolute monster with.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-04-05, 08:46 PM
What's the book of Bad Latin?

Don't quote me on this, but I think it's Libris Mortis.

RandomLunatic
2010-04-05, 10:08 PM
If you like, you could mix in some Warchanter (CWar). Fights fairly well for a Bard-based PrC, and delivers the buffs in spade (Can you say "BAB=Perform skill mod?")

AslanCross
2010-04-05, 11:08 PM
Simple one would be Cleric. Full casting (including "self sufficient" stuff like create food and water) while being reasonably competent in melee without buffs, and an absolute monster with.

I'd go with cleric too. Besides, if the invading nation is a theocracy, it kind of gives a Xenogears or FF Tactics vibe, which resonates with the "video game RPG" idea.

PersonMan
2010-04-06, 05:07 AM

Seems good. At first I was unsure due to the lack of a patron deity, but then I had an idea-a specialized engine in his ship creates the magic he uses. So later the PCs can disrupt it to bring him down to their level.

Thanks for the help.

JeminiZero
2010-04-06, 05:32 AM
Seems good. At first I was unsure due to the lack of a patron deity, but then I had an idea-a specialized engine in his ship creates the magic he uses. So later the PCs can disrupt it to bring him down to their level.

Technically Cleric can be devoted to a cause. Like Expansionism. :smallbiggrin:

Or you could make the Empire's Head a "God-Emperor" who is able to grant spells.