PDA

View Full Version : [3.5/PF] More AoOs

EpicEvokerElf
2010-04-05, 08:28 PM
Looking for ways to get more AoOs per round besides boosting my Dex with combat reflexes. Could an item be created to grant extras?

balistafreak
2010-04-05, 08:32 PM
To be honest, I'm pretty sure there's an item that gives you Combat Reflexes. An item replicating a feat is around 7.5K. :smalltongue:

But if your Dexterity modifer is too low to have Combat Reflexes accomplish anything... that you want a straight up digital +1 to AoOs... I'm not a master of magical items, so you'll have to have someone else help you.

EpicEvokerElf
2010-04-06, 07:20 PM
I have combat reflexes; I'm looking for a way to boost my AoOs per round without boosting Dex because a) I'm a heavily armored dwarf with little else to gain from a higher Dex (no AC, certainly), and b) because I'm tight on cash and can't afford an ability enhancer unless I'm going to get more out of it than that.

Dr Bwaa
2010-04-06, 07:26 PM
Robilar's Gambit and Karmic Strike (or whatever it's called) come to mind.

Also check out Jack B Quick (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869062/6_hits_to_1:_Jack_B._Quick).

true_shinken
2010-04-06, 08:15 PM
Robilar's Gambit and Karmic Strike (or whatever it's called) come to mind.

Also check out Jack B Quick (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869062/6_hits_to_1:_Jack_B._Quick).

All that stuff gives you is more opportunities to use your AoO, not extra AoO.

EpicEvokerElf
2010-04-06, 08:16 PM
No, I mean I want to be able to take more AoOs per round, not that I want more things to provoke AoOs. Robilar's Gambit is useless if I've already taken as many AoOs as I'm allowed in a round (3, in this case, with Combat Reflexes and 14 Dex). So at higher levels, using it only gets me AoOs for part of a foe's full attack (for example).
EDIT: Ninja'd by true_shinken!

I realized that the PF Headband of Vast Intelligence (Intellect, for the 3.5 folks at home) grants you max ranks in one skill per 2 points of Int given; this property does not increase its cost.

sofawall
2010-04-06, 11:27 PM
I realized that the PF Headband of Vast Intelligence (Intellect, for the 3.5 folks at home) grants you max ranks in one skill per 2 points of Int given; this property does not increase its cost.

:smallconfused:

Kaiyanwang
2010-04-07, 02:00 AM
Dragon magazine:

Improved Combat Reflexes: Whenever ou can make an AOO, you can make a second one with -5 to hit. This use one of your Dex modifiers (as you just made a second AOO).

Greater Combat Reflexes: The same, but you can do a third AOO at -10.

Miniature handbook:

Double Hit: If ou fight with 2 weapons, you can make AOOs with both.

Ok, missed the point.

olentu
2010-04-07, 02:04 AM
Aside from raising dex and combat reflexes the bracers of opportunity from the magic item compendium is all that comes to mind.

arguskos
2010-04-07, 02:06 AM
A-ha! Obscure knowledge to the rescue! The Manti, from the Arms and Equipment Guide, is an exotic shortspear that grants you an extra AoO each round. :smallcool:

sofawall
2010-04-07, 02:08 AM
Dragon magazine:

Improved Combat Reflexes: Whenever ou can make an AOO, you can make a second one with -5 to hit. This use one of your Dex modifiers (as you just made a second AOO).

Greater Combat Reflexes: The same, but you can do a third AOO at -10.

These are examples of things that are not needed.

EDIT: I really need to read the A&EG, don't I?

arguskos
2010-04-07, 02:33 AM
These are examples of things that are not needed.

EDIT: I really need to read the A&EG, don't I?
Yes, you probably do. :smallcool:

VonDragon
2010-04-07, 02:50 AM
proberly doesnt help but the epic level handbook has improved combat reflexes
which requires lv 21+ dex 21, combat reflex which give infinite aoo's

John Campbell
2010-04-07, 10:50 AM

Yeah. Basically, it's giving you retroactively the skill ranks befitting your new, higher Int. I don't know that it makes any less sense than Con boosters retroactively giving you bonus HP for HD that you gained at past levels.

EpicEvokerElf
2010-04-07, 08:49 PM
What items boost initiative? That seems like a good starting point to build an item to add AoOs... I'm going to look at that spear from AEG tonight; thanks.

EpicEvokerElf
2010-04-08, 08:56 PM
Are there items that increase initiative? I feel like there must be... (I don't own MiC, unfortunately.)

Sinfire Titan
2010-04-08, 09:22 PM
Are there items that increase initiative? I feel like there must be... (I don't own MiC, unfortunately.)

A +1 Warning Eager Spiked Gauntlet gives a nice bonus (+7 total, IIRC). The infamous Belt of Battle also gives a +2.

Shape Soulmeld (Bluesteel Bracers) gives a +2 Insight.

Wands of Nerveskitter in a specially designed weapon (like said Spiked Gauntlet) can give another +5.

EpicEvokerElf
2010-04-08, 09:55 PM
That seems like a pretty fair equivalency; require Combat Reflexes, and replace +2 initiative with one or two extra AoOs per round. Kosher?

Where would I find those enchantments (warning, eager)?

Ernir
2010-04-08, 10:01 PM

Lots, actually. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6000.0)

deuxhero
2010-04-08, 10:16 PM
Kaupaer's Reflexive Strike (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050112a).

EpicEvokerElf
2010-04-08, 10:25 PM
So some bracers of reflexes that give me that spell, continuous, would cost... 3,000 gold? Count me in! How would that scale, then, if I wanted more?

Ooh! It also lets me make AoOs while flatfooted!

deuxhero
2010-04-08, 10:34 PM
No no no, it works like a ring of true strike, your next attack after putting it on get's the bonus (though as a DM, I'd be open to a magic item that gives an extra AoO a round for 6000).

EpicEvokerElf
2010-04-08, 10:48 PM
Well, I'm certainly going to run it past mine. Thanks!

DragoonWraith
2010-04-09, 09:14 AM
No no no, it works like a ring of true strike, your next attack after putting it on get's the bonus (though as a DM, I'd be open to a magic item that gives an extra AoO a round for 6000).
+2 to Dex is 4,000 and gives an extra AoO per round and loads of other stuff. I think you've got the price on that one way off. It's often difficult to use so many AoOs per round anyway.

If you're interested in homebrew, my Dualist prestige class (http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=Dualist) grants a lot of AoOs, but that's only if you're really focused on AoOs and probably doesn't fit a Dwarf so well...

deuxhero
2010-04-09, 10:10 AM
but said bracers would stack with dex increases (which become more expensive after the +2).

EpicEvokerElf
2010-04-09, 08:42 PM
Still, since you can get that and much, much more for only 4k, charging 6 seems a bit much. As an aside, I'm looking at this with regard to a dwarf warblade of mine who's in heavy armor anyway; doesn't impact the balance of the item for standard play, but in the circumstances it'll be used in the Dex boost is virtually useless.

Incan Road
2010-04-09, 09:36 PM
If you feel like it a third level Knight Protector, from Complete Warrior, gets an extra AoO per round that stacks with combat reflexes.

DragoonWraith
2010-04-09, 10:59 PM
but said bracers would stack with dex increases (which become more expensive after the +2).
And additional AoOs has serious diminishing returns.