PDA

View Full Version : So, my back yard was on fire.

Partof1
2010-04-05, 09:13 PM
Yeah, our coulee (sp?) was hosting a grass fire not an hour ago. Scary. My parents were also at a hockey game, so I'm a bit racked. Everything's fine, all that was burnt were a few trees, and a bunch of grass. I called my dad, my neighbours were already over, and by neighbours, I mean anyone who could see the smoke and knew my parents, as I'm on a acreage. The local fire depts were called, and they sorted it all out, so it's all good.

I'm just happy my pets weren't hurt, and no buildings were damaged. Still scary, but we got out with only a blackened part of our yard.

RandomNPC
2010-04-05, 09:20 PM
You know when we (people on the boards) tell you to kill things with fire, it's generally a joke yes?

[/joke]

It is good that nobody was hurt, and things could have been much worse. Good to hear it ended well.

Dr.Epic
2010-04-05, 09:23 PM
A tornado once tore across my parent's old home. I wasn't born yet and don't know the extent of the damage but my mom said it was like a train was going right across the property.

Starscream
2010-04-05, 09:27 PM
Nasty. Glad everyone/thing is okay. Apart from some of your yard, that is.

waterpenguin43
2010-04-05, 09:30 PM
You know when we (people on the boards) tell you to kill things with fire, it's generally a joke yes?

Well, duh! You kill them with WATER.

But in all serious behaviour, I have experience with pyromaniacal neighbours too. Why did someone sey your yard to flame, anyways? :smallconfused:
I'm glad everything was okay.

ForzaFiori
2010-04-06, 12:42 AM
I actually had something similar happen to me several years ago. Set off a bunch of fireworks for the 4th of July (there's an idea. Shoot flames everywhere during the driest month of the year. why couldn't they have signed the paper in October?). Anyway, we wake up the next morning, and our yard is completely black, and about 3/4 of the way up the bricks that our trailer rested on were scorched. We were SO close to going up in flames.

Glad to hear that you managed to avoid having important stuff burned too

Quincunx
2010-04-06, 02:07 AM
. . .Set off a bunch of fireworks for the 4th of July (there's an idea. Shoot flames everywhere during the driest month of the year. why couldn't they have signed the paper in October?). . .

Weather which is bad for preventing grass fires is better for moving foot armies and delegates on horseback, which might've had more impact on the date. :smalltongue:

thubby
2010-04-06, 06:02 AM

[/joke]

this could be read in a very bad way...

ForzaFiori
2010-04-06, 09:51 AM
Weather which is bad for preventing grass fires is better for moving foot armies and delegates on horseback, which might've had more impact on the date. :smalltongue:

Good point... Although, at the time, there was already an army, and all the delegates (except... Ceaser Rodney, I believe. And Washington, obviously.) were already in Philadelphia.

Thajocoth
2010-04-06, 11:46 AM
Years back, at my mom's friend's 4th of July event, they set the trees between their back yard and the highway on fire with fireworks. I was inside at the time and it was put out by the time I got back outside, so I missed it. Not sure how I failed to hear the fire sirens... Then again, we WERE playing the NES. How much else are we gonna be aware of?

Years before that... Elementary school age, a friend of mine wanted to burn leaves. I pointed out that, with the leaf coverage and woods and whatnot, he'd need something confined to do it in, so he was going to build a wooden fireplace. I found a metal bin in the woods we could use. Then he kept wanting to pour kerosene in it... Eventually, one of his other friends joined us, and was not very careful, setting his jacket on fire. He got it off quickly and my friend ran inside to get water while I kicked dirt at it. It was out LONG before my friend returned with a cup of water... My friend's friend said he didn't like that jacket anyway and only had it 'cause it was a gift from his aunt. I don't think he was allowed to hang out with my friend anymore after that.

arguskos
2010-04-06, 02:08 PM
So, the guys and I were burning a christmas tree the other day (like, two days ago), and one of the branches decided to fall out of the large ceramic bowl fireplace we were burning it in and start lighting the ground on fire. Happily, I had a large plastic rake and smothered it before it did too much damage.

Of course, when a friend of mine decided to put a large log across the bowl, and then hack it apart with an axe, the bowl broke under the force of the axe and spilled flaming cinders and branches everywhere. We were lucky to not burn anyone, or anything, down.

Ilena
2010-04-06, 02:12 PM
(there's an idea. Shoot flames everywhere during the driest month of the year. why couldn't they have signed the paper in October?).

i doubt they had fireworks and such in mind at that time anyway :P

Fiery Diamond
2010-04-06, 09:32 PM
That happened to me too! The yard catching on fire, I mean. We had this bonfire, see, and it was oh, I guess about fifteen-twenty feet high worth of fuel in a square about twenty feet or so on each side. Then the wind blew. A lot of the yard got burned away before we managed to put out the fire.

Partof1
2010-04-06, 09:44 PM
What scared me about this is that, odds are, it was set by someone. Based on what my bro saw of the fire early on, and the parts that were burnt, it had to have been deliberately set by someone.

Something similar happened in the ditch about half a klick up the road from my house, a small grass fire.

Amiel
2010-04-06, 09:51 PM
Dunno what all the fascination with fires is all about; fire does look beautiful though, and one can look at fires for long, long periods of time @_@

We have a very serious problem down here of people knowingly and liberally settings fires...on days with temperatures over 35 degrees celsius. That's so unbelievably stupid, no words suffice to explain the complete and utter braindeadness of these people.

Glad to hear no one was hurt.

Trog
2010-04-06, 11:40 PM
You shouldn't have been summoning those elementals. :smalltongue:

Partof1
2010-04-07, 10:28 PM
I swear, it wasn't me!

I just summoned the Lighter Fluid and Spark elementals!

TheThan
2010-04-08, 10:49 PM
About last week, our neighbor’s car caught fire. It pretty much burn to the ground but the police and fire department got there in time to keep it from spreading.

Dunno what all the fascination with fires is all about; fire does look beautiful though, and one can look at fires for long, long periods of time @_@

We have a very serious problem down here of people knowingly and liberally settings fires...on days with temperatures over 35 degrees celsius. That's so unbelievably stupid, no words suffice to explain the complete and utter braindeadness of these people.

Around here we call that arson, and its a felony.

Pika...
2010-04-08, 11:28 PM
"Woot, woot the roof is on fire!!!"

Sorry, could not resist. I am glad everything is OK. :smallsmile:

Poor trees, though. :(

RandomNPC
2010-04-09, 05:24 PM
this could be read in a very bad way...

um... sorry if it was, but could you elaborate? PM if necesary, im kinda curious. Usually I pick up on things I say, but the playground is a diverse place.

druid91
2010-04-09, 10:08 PM
Better than the time I set my hair on fire.

ForzaFiori
2010-04-09, 10:59 PM
Better than the time I set my hair on fire.

I did that once. I was at a boy scouts event, and we had a bonfire. I was putting a couple extra logs on, and right as I leaned down, the wind decided to switch directions. Into my face. Took my hair on the left side of my head from just below my shoulders to my ear.

The best part? The next day, I went to get a haircut to removed the melted hair. Gave the attendance lady at a school a note saying I had an "emergency haircut". She didn't even ask questions, just excused the absence.

druid91
2010-04-09, 11:42 PM
I did that once. I was at a boy scouts event, and we had a bonfire. I was putting a couple extra logs on, and right as I leaned down, the wind decided to switch directions. Into my face. Took my hair on the left side of my head from just below my shoulders to my ear.

The best part? The next day, I went to get a haircut to removed the melted hair. Gave the attendance lady at a school a note saying I had an "emergency haircut". She didn't even ask questions, just excused the absence.

Unfortunately for me, in my case it was me stupidly deciding that if I put lighter fluid on a plastic spoon and lit it on fire I could use it as a fire catapult.

The Glyphstone
2010-04-09, 11:43 PM

You have a local infestation of serial arsonists? This could be a problem.

Cealocanth
2010-04-12, 10:43 PM
So the other day my brother set the living room carpet on fire. It set off the smoke alarms and my dad was REALLY pissed. we have a big black spot on our carpet now.

(Was this appropriate for this thread or no?