PDA

View Full Version : Vorpal on a non-20

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-05, 09:14 PM
Okay, you know how vorpal weapons suck now, right? Massive amounts of money for an ability that only works 5% of the time (assuming it happens on something that can actually be criticalled)?

Anthropomorphic (or awakened, with hands of man) razor boar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/razorBoar.htm#vorpalTusks) disciple of Dispater with Keen Weapon Aptitude kukris.

Feel the pain.

Or not.

'Cuz you're dead.

Starbuck_II
2010-04-05, 09:22 PM
Animorphic Razor boar alone makes it 16th lv minimum.
Plus, only the tusk sever heads. You need Kensai.

balistafreak
2010-04-05, 10:00 PM
WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN.

Bad memes aside, it does clearly state "the razor boar's tusk slash attack". Yes, you need Kensai to make the tusks Keen, and even then that's hardly an effective boost. Now you vorpal on 19-20... but that's a whole lot of hoops to jump through simply to increase Vorpal range.

Not to mention all the questions a Kensai Razor Boar raises. How do they dedicate themselves to a cause? :smallconfused:

While a Razor Boar Kensai is a hilarious concept at first (my tusks are KEEN AND VORPAL) I'll have to say that this one really doesn't fly in the end.

Adrayll
2010-04-05, 10:06 PM
Or fight jabberwocks (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Jabberwock_(3.5e_Creature))! They get snicker-snack'd on 18-20.
(Alice in Wonderland Joke, anyone?)

T.G. Oskar
2010-04-05, 10:07 PM
Eh? Necklace of Natural Attacks makes your tusks Keen AND also provide at least a +1 to them.

Still, if an anthromorphized Razor Boar gets to be a Disciple of Dispater...good times, good times...

Klurichir (sp) also get vorpal pincers. Those are fiends, so they get the bonus naturally. Though, not sure if they're tanar'ri, in which case you'd need to make them lawful to get to be a Disciple of Dispater. That would be even more hilarious.

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-05, 10:07 PM
WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN.

Bad memes aside, it does clearly state "the razor boar's tusk slash attack". Yes, you need Kensai to make the tusks Keen, and even then that's hardly an effective boost. Now you vorpal on 19-20... but that's a whole lot of hoops to jump through simply to increase Vorpal range.

Not to mention all the questions a Kensai Razor Boar raises. How do they dedicate themselves to a cause? :smallconfused:

While a Razor Boar Kensai is a hilarious concept at first (my tusks are KEEN AND VORPAL) I'll have to say that this one really doesn't fly in the end.Not even with Improved Critical, disciple of Dispater, and exotic weapon master? If you're a deep crystal creature you can add in psychic weapon master too.

Just how big of a critical threat range can we get on a natural weapon, anyway?

Eldariel
2010-04-05, 10:08 PM
That's a pretty awesome, if less-known, Polymorph-form; Ex special attack, 15 HD! Of course, you need to upgrade your crit range but I'm sure you'll find a way.

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-05, 10:09 PM
That's a pretty awesome, if less-known, Polymorph-form; Ex special attack, 15 HD! Of course, you need to upgrade your crit range but I'm sure you'll find a way.Metamorphosis or polymorph or true mind switch to avoid the excess HD problems.

Better if you go anthropomorphic, of course.

Eldariel
2010-04-05, 10:13 PM
Metamorphosis or polymorph or true mind switch to avoid the excess HD problems.

Well, I specifically mentioned it 'cause it just fits the limits of Polymorph (and yes, Meta too).

Glimbur
2010-04-05, 10:16 PM
Have you considered the awesome inherent in Surge of Fortune+Bless Weapon against evil foes with only one head? It's... probably best done by an Archivist due to the spells needed, and quite silly.

balistafreak
2010-04-05, 10:24 PM
Not even with Improved Critical, disciple of Dispater, and exotic weapon master? If you're a deep crystal creature you can add in psychic weapon master too.

Just how big of a critical threat range can we get on a natural weapon, anyway?

Wait, I thought critical modifiers didn't stack!

Good god, are we playing Neverwinter Nights' Kukri Weapon Master all over again? :smalltongue:

Eldariel
2010-04-05, 10:27 PM
Wait, I thought critical modifiers didn't stack!

Most don't. 3.0 ones that haven't been updated do. Disciple of Dispater and Weapon Master of either flavor (Psychic or Real) are the most common ones. This, unfortunately, only gets you 15-20 or 14-20 (not sure) by my math.

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-05, 10:31 PM
Most don't. 3.0 ones that haven't been updated do. Disciple of Dispater and Weapon Master of either flavor (Psychic or Real) are the most common ones. This, unfortunately, only gets you 15-20 or 14-20 (not sure) by my math.Yes. "Only."

ericgrau
2010-04-05, 10:54 PM
Now we need boots of speed and pounce for 4 attacks and maybe 2-3 hits so you can "only" decapitate 1 opponent per 1-2 rounds.

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-05, 10:57 PM
Now we need boots of speed and pounce for 4 attacks and maybe 2-3 hits so you can "only" decapitate 1 opponent per 1-2 rounds.Q: How do you make multiple gore attacks?

A: Multiheaded template.

Deth Muncher
2010-04-05, 10:57 PM
Or fight jabberwocks (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Jabberwock_(3.5e_Creature))! They get snicker-snack'd on 18-20.

GHK! (that's the sound of me choking in disbelief)

You are aware that the Jabberwocky existed before the Alice in Wonderland movie, yes?

Eldariel
2010-04-05, 11:10 PM
I vastly prefer Surge of Fortune to auto-decapitate someone. Auto-20s are cool! But yeah, Barbarian + Haste...can we fit some maneuvers in? Dancing Mongoose would be an extra attack or two, Whirling Frenzy would be one more.

Sir_Elderberry
2010-04-05, 11:15 PM
GHK! (that's the sound of me choking in disbelief)

You are aware that the Jabberwocky existed before the Alice in Wonderland movie, yes?

Presumably he refers to Alice in Wonderland, the book. Which is, I believe, the Jabberwock's first appearance, in a poem recited by the Cat.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-04-05, 11:16 PM
Okay, you know how vorpal weapons suck now, right? Massive amounts of money for an ability that only works 5% of the time (assuming it happens on something that can actually be criticalled)?

Immunity to critical hits does not give immunity to vorpal weapons just as it doesn't stop a flaming burst. In the vorpal weapon description they explicitly pointout decapitating a vampire as being fatal.

Now here's something scary one can do, take a razor boar, kill it, animate it then cast awaken undead Extraordinary special attacks are thus restored and its still your minion.

sofawall
2010-04-05, 11:20 PM
Presumably he refers to Alice in Wonderland, the book. Which is, I believe, the Jabberwock's first appearance, in a poem recited by the Cat.

Through the Looking Glass, and What Alice Found There you mean?

EDIT: Vampires do not die when losing heads. They are just fairly blinded by it. :smallwink:

EDIT2: Totally ninja'd somebodyeverybody!

Gaiwecoor

Almost. I'm pretty sure it was Through the Looking-Glass, in a book that Alice found there.

The Rabbler

It's actually from the poem "The Jabberwocky".

the exact wording escapes me, but it was something along the lines of: "and the vorpal blade went snicker snack"

easily my most favorite poem ever.

EDIT: this was recited by the cat in through the looking glass.

DOUBLE EDIT: ninja'd

krossbow
2010-04-05, 11:41 PM
Through the Looking Glass, and What Alice Found There you mean?

EDIT: Vampires do not die when losing heads. They are just fairly blinded by it. :smallwink:

EDIT2: Totally ninja'd somebodyeverybody!

Stuffing their decapitated head's mouth with holy wafers would do them in though.

sofawall
2010-04-05, 11:47 PM
Stuffing their decapitated head's mouth with holy wafers would do them in though.

With ease, even. Hard to chase a head thief with no sight.

Although I did just think of an intriguing video game bit. Enemy steals your head, puts in backpack, you can see out of backpack, you must use this vision to chase thief with body.