PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Quick Inquiry Into Construct Races/Templates

balistafreak
2010-04-05, 09:47 PM
So I realize I've fallen in love with the Necropolitan template. There's simply so many things it does right: keep full class benefits, no LA, even get the benefits of a particular race; you simply happen to be undead as well, for what that's worth.

Running parallel to my recent quest to explore and break Undeath as much as possible as allowed for a PC, another side of me has expressed interest in sidestepping life and undeath altogether, going into a realm far more scientific in nature - a construct PC.

And no, a Warforged is not what I'm looking for. "Living" construct has many weaknesses when compared to an undead, aside from the whole "turn undead and get pwnt" thing. (Constructs have their own inherent weaknesses, and comparing them to undead weaknesses is apples to oranges. I won't bother.)

I'm basically looking for the Necropolitan-equivalent of a Construct template, but one that is PC legal/friendly at least, preferably without ridiculous Level Adjustment. One with full construct benefits but also full benefit from class levels, once again, ala Necropolitan. Full construct weaknesses are perfectly fine, and even encouraged. No, the character doesn't have to start as something else and then add on the template, but that is perfectly fine as well.

And if you hadn't already guessed, I was thinking of giving a Necropolitan character a Construct Cohort to help him (it?) out, for all of the interesting questions and interplay that'll create.

balistafreak
2010-04-06, 09:42 AM
2nd try. Question is same as above. I've looked at golems and the basic Construct template - no dice on becoming one as a PC, at least not meaningfully. Surely someone's made a Construct that isn't "living" already?

... yeah, I know, I'm not a fan of Warforged. :smalltongue:

Trekkin
2010-04-06, 09:57 AM
Not much luck in WoTC content; they tend to like their constructs mindless and unplayable. Green Ronin's advanced bestiary has the clockwork creature template, as well as the lifespark golem for making existing golems playable.

balistafreak
2010-04-06, 11:58 AM
Looked up Green Ronin. Blast, 3rd party non-WOTC is hard to get.

You'll excuse me when I don't shell out for it sight-unseen. :smallannoyed:

Did some more google-fu, even looked through half a dozen books. Got nothing, yet.

Starbuck_II
2010-04-06, 12:02 PM
So I realize I've fallen in love with the Necropolitan template. There's simply so many things it does right: keep full class benefits, no LA, even get the benefits of a particular race; you simply happen to be undead as well, for what that's worth.

You do lose a level or two. So it isn't all good and no bad, but yeah for most part it is cool.