PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Adventures needed

Doodleface
2010-04-06, 01:57 AM
Hi, I'm going to start running a 3.5 game with some friends who have never played before. I just need some good modules (starting at level 1 obviously) to use.

This will be my first time being the DM for a regular game.
(as opposed to random ones every few months)

IonDragon
2010-04-06, 02:27 AM
If you're running (as a novice) for first time players your first session will probably be mudling through character creation rules. Your 2nd session would be well spent as a practice combat. Set up like an arena thing or something for them so they can try out their characters.

After that, I don't know. I don't use modules. I know you can find tons of them (originally designed for Pathfinder) on the pathfinder site. Though I do see the appeal of modules for first time players.

Another option I kind of like is finding a more experienced player to run a few sessions for you and adjudicate the rules so you can get the feel for D&D.

reptilecobra13
2010-04-06, 03:52 AM
Check out The Sunless Citadel. It's a great low-level adventure module with awesome flavor.

Tyrmatt
2010-04-06, 04:12 AM
While it'll probably get me stoned to death on these boards, an interesting concept for teaching new players that I've used before is to create a DMPC who will assist the PCs in their first fight, split off from the party for an encounter or two and then return to help with the first boss, where they usually undergo a scripted death at the hands of an agent of the main villain or the main villain himself if it's a low-level campaign overall.

While I no longer have my notes on the campaign that was most successful on, a module that catches my eye might be A Dark and Stormy Knight. It takes place in a keep that's periodically racked by terrible storms. In this module, there is the optional concept of "storm-peace", where it's considered courtesy not to fight during these terrible storms as it leads to senseless deaths, even if the creatures meeting under storm-peace are normally enemies. If it would help, you could have the PCs meet an adventurer who agrees to storm-peace and aids them once inside. The module would require a slight power bump to accommodate the DMPC (I'm seeing a Factotum, in order for you to display how all aspects of the game work) but it's not the worst possible option.

Generally I don't like being dropped on a blank battle grid with some theoretical opponent to fight is all. I'd rather the story goes on around the PCs as they find their feet.

Irreverent Fool
2010-04-06, 04:43 AM
While it'll probably get me stoned to death on these boards, an interesting concept for teaching new players that I've used before is to create a DMPC who will assist the PCs in their first fight, split off from the party for an encounter or two and then return to help with the first boss, where they usually undergo a scripted death at the hands of an agent of the main villain or the main villain himself if it's a low-level campaign overall.

While I no longer have my notes on the campaign that was most successful on, a module that catches my eye might be A Dark and Stormy Knight. It takes place in a keep that's periodically racked by terrible storms. In this module, there is the optional concept of "storm-peace", where it's considered courtesy not to fight during these terrible storms as it leads to senseless deaths, even if the creatures meeting under storm-peace are normally enemies. If it would help, you could have the PCs meet an adventurer who agrees to storm-peace and aids them once inside. The module would require a slight power bump to accommodate the DMPC (I'm seeing a Factotum, in order for you to display how all aspects of the game work) but it's not the worst possible option.

Generally I don't like being dropped on a blank battle grid with some theoretical opponent to fight is all. I'd rather the story goes on around the PCs as they find their feet.

I like the "storm-peace" thing, it gives a nice flavor to the world and goes a long way toward immersion, I think.

What you described isn't DMPC, unless you immediately rolled up a new one to continue playing with the party while you DM. There's nothing wrong with an NPC guide who helps a little and then dies spectacularly (as long as he doesn't overshadow the party).

obnoxious
sig

HunterOfJello
2010-04-06, 04:59 AM
http://www.treasuretables.org/woadwrimo-adventure-downloads

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20030530b&page=1

Second link has several good adventures that I've used. A Dark and Stormy Knight is a great first adventure for a lvl 1 groupl