PDA

View Full Version : Baby Names

Lioness
2010-04-06, 08:07 AM
I've been thinking about this a lot lately (no, I'm not pregnant)

What do you want to name your children (if any), or what names do you like, and why?

For me, I like:

Boys: Gabriel, Alain, Matthew, Daniel

Girls: Audrey, Adrienne, Elaine, Corinne

I like most of them just for how they sound. Matthew, Daniel, and Elaine I've loved since I was a little girl. Alain is a variation on my grandfather's name (so is Elaine, come to think of it). Corinne is the name of the teacher who got me addicted to English (I swear she's changed my life), and it sounds nice. And I like the meaning of Adrienne - dark - it just doesn't seem like a dark name.

So what are yours? What do you wish you were called? Would you change your name if you could?

rakkoon
2010-04-06, 08:13 AM
I've always liked Myriam and Alexander as names for kids.
Now I have two kids myself and neither of them has that name.
Tastes change over time...

Viera Champion
2010-04-06, 08:13 AM
Boys: Lucas, David, Stephen

Girls: Sarah, Rachel, April

I'm not quite sure why I like these, I just do. Except for Rachel, I have a reason for that name, but it has an incredibly long story behind it.

Dr. Bath
2010-04-06, 08:14 AM
Barold is perhaps the greatest name that I've heard come up in one of these conversations.

thubby
2010-04-06, 08:15 AM
i have always liked the name Alex. and it's gender neutral so I'm set :P

Capt Spanner
2010-04-06, 08:31 AM
I grew up with a very unusual name. (My screen name is from my birth certificate). I'll probably inflict the same on any kids I have.

For girls: Gaia, Jaya, I'd also give Emily serious consideration, since every Emily I've met has always been a great friend.

I don't really have any boys' names though out.

UncleWolf
2010-04-06, 08:34 AM
Boy: James Tiberius <Last Name>

Girl: Jamie Tiberianna <Last Name>

I think they have a certain ring to it. :smallbiggrin:

Timberwolf
2010-04-06, 08:38 AM
I'd call my kids -

Girl - Alexandra, Julia, Catherine, Erin, Molly, Elizabeth, Rebecca

Boy - John, David, Marmaduke.

The J Pizzel
2010-04-06, 08:40 AM
My wife and I have a nine month old and we went round and round on names. In fact, there's an entire thread on here somewhere about names.

My favorite name for a girl was Cadence (I'm a drummer). Followed closely by Kaylee (Firefly). She shot both of those down with a fiery vengeance. We then tossed between Aleena, Sophia, Raven, and many others. We eventually settled on Kylee (I call it a win). Her middle name is Denae :smallbiggrin:

We plan to have one more in a couple of years and if it's a boy we've decided on Caden Joseph (Joseph being my name).

If it's a girl, she said she might finally let me have Cadence, but then she offered Kailyn (which I love). Which again, is kind of a compromise for Kaylee. So we'll see.

Gourtox
2010-04-06, 08:54 AM

Well if you do that you are going to have to legally change your last name to Kirk.

LCR
2010-04-06, 09:01 AM

Your child will love you for this!

Anyway, I'd name my child Alistair or Basil, regardless of gender.

Anuan
2010-04-06, 09:18 AM
William Felix Lastname and Jack Tobias Lastname for boys.

For girls I like Lisa, Ariel...I'm nowhere near as definite with girl's names, I'm afraid.

danzibr
2010-04-06, 09:25 AM
Whoa, what a coincidence. My wife's name is Adrienne and my name is Daniel and we've been thinking of baby names.

Boys: Gabriel Olaf (Olaf is my middle name), Aiden, Theodore

Girls: Leslie Marie (Marie is Adrienne's middle name), Addison

Szilard
2010-04-06, 09:26 AM
I always thought Szilard III would be pretty cool.

rakkoon
2010-04-06, 09:32 AM
So "Lord Slizard the Third, Master of the Empire" or simply "Junior" to his friends?

308HTR
2010-04-06, 09:46 AM
I've been toying around with the super market test to come up with a list.
1. Go to a super market
2. Yell your potential kid's name.
3. If it sounds weird, scrap it. If you like it, keep.
That said, I'm going to name my first born, my name exactly. no Junior or anything. Then every night, for a bedtime story, I'll read to him from a book of my deeds, ensuring he'll understand the importance of his roll as my successor.

Amiel
2010-04-06, 09:47 AM
I wonder what will happen if I gift a child of mine with the name "Moon Unit" :smallconfused:

:smallbiggrin:

MandibleBones
2010-04-06, 09:52 AM
I wonder what will happen if I gift a child of mine with the name "Moon Unit" :smallconfused:

:smallbiggrin:

He/She/It will get beat up a lot in school and will likely request emancipation as soon as they can drive?

Hmm...

Girls' names: Autumn, Summer, Winter

Boy's names: T.B.D. (my wife gets first call on those if we have kids).

Syka
2010-04-06, 09:57 AM
Girl: Inara
Boy: Talyn Augustus (Tal for short)

(I'm still fighting to give any boy a different middle name than Augustus...He needs at least one normal name, lol. It sounds nice, at least. And yes, these have both been agreed upon.)

And yes, both these names are inspired by science fiction TV shows and the boy's middle name is in fact inspired by Caesar Augustus. :smallwink: This is what happens when both partners are sci-fi nerds, one is a Classicist, and the other enjoys historical video games.

Sliver
2010-04-06, 09:58 AM
Well, I like screwing around with people, but I know this will have long lasting consequences so I know I'm staying away from the naming business... I suck at naming characters, naming real people? No way!

ForzaFiori
2010-04-06, 10:01 AM
@Amiel: You can't steal the Zappa's names, you have to come up with something even wierder! :smallbiggrin:

As for me, what little thought I've put into it (hopefully wont have kids for a little while yet. I'd like to be out of school first) has rendered these results:

Guys: Jonathan David (still not sure about the middle name. I'm trying to find one that goes great with Jonathan)

Girls: Caitlynn Marie

Both first names are the names of my two best friends. Strangely, both their names sound good with my last name.

Edit: Also on the subject of names: I was ALMOST George Edward (last name) III. Thankfully, my mom didn't let my dad do that. Although she said he could if I could go by Gef (my last name begins with F). He didn't like the idea

Yora
2010-04-06, 10:06 AM
I would want to name my first son after me. And my dad. And his uncle. :smallbiggrin:

In Germany, Martin has been a common name in every decade and all social groups for the entire 20th century. It never seems odd, like if you'd name a kid Hermann or Rüdiger or Rudolf or something like that. But Martin has never been out of fashion as a boys name at any time, so it's actually a very good name to pass on for generations.

And it's funny. :smallbiggrin:

Dragonrider
2010-04-06, 11:14 AM
I have a Welsh name and so do all my siblings; I'd like to continue the tradition with my own kids. Of course, I don't want to curse them with something *totally* unpronounceable. For girls:

Gwenllian Emma -
Gwen for short; having recently remembered how much I love the name Emma, and it being the name of one of my good friends
[though not named *after* her]
[and since Cycoris was so adamantly opposed to the "rose" I used to have the middle name position. Ingrate. <3 ;)]

Catrin Daniella -
Cat for short, probably, though Catrin is short enough on its own. Daniella after my dad.

Branwen Linda -
Because I adore the name Branwen. I'm not a huge fan of the name Linda, but she's my bestest aunt and I love her.

BOYS:

Dafydd James -
Okay, this is a name I could never give a child because of the horrible mispronunciations that would sadly result. And "David" is just not the same. But James is still a good middle name; it's a name I've always loved.

Conlan Briar -
I think I made this name up. Last time a "names" thread popped up someone suggested I liked it because of my affinity for conlanging (ha, ha). And Briar? I guess I'm a hippie.

Morgan Mirren -
Just kinda like the sound of it.

I'm not planning on six kids. Just like to keep my options open. :smalltongue: I'm gonna have to pick all names that end with N, though, I think, because looking at the list there's just one that doesn't. Hmm.

cycoris
2010-04-06, 12:24 PM
I'm not planning on six kids. Just like to keep my options open. :smalltongue: I'm gonna have to pick all names that end with N, though, I think, because looking at the list there's just one that doesn't. Hmm.

Well, or you could continue the semi-theme of having 'a' as the second letter. (You silly odd one out, you.)

For me, some combination of the below-

BOYS:
Conrad
Lyron
Merrill
Mikael
Neirin/Aneirin
Rhys
Robin
Timon
Tobias/Tobiah
William

GIRLS:
Aderyn
Beatriz
Chava
Darra
Katharine
Margot
Merielle
Phoebe
Sophie
Zahar

Starscream
2010-04-06, 01:11 PM
Boys: Bruce, Richard, Alfred, Tim, Edward, Johnathan, Oswald, Jervis, James...

Girls: Barbara, Selina, Pamela, Harleen, Talia, Helena, Katherine, Renee...

My only hope is to find a girl who either is not geeky at all and doesn't get it, or one who is as geeky as I am and approves. Place your bets as to which one is harder.

Player_Zero
2010-04-06, 01:15 PM
Rumpelstiltskin.

Methuselah.

Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton-Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser III

Tim.

Edward Teach.

Quasimodo.

Heh. I should never be allowed children anyhow.

Isak
2010-04-06, 01:20 PM
Rumpelstiltskin.

Methuselah.

Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton-Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser III

Tim.

Edward Teach.

Quasimodo.

Heh. I should never be allowed children anyhow.

I fully approve of the bolded.

Also, Cthulhu.

Krade
2010-04-06, 01:27 PM
Hmm... I don't usually name my meals, but I suppose it could be fun:smalltongue:

Let's see... for a boy, I've always liked Gabriel. It's really just a nice sounding name.

For a girl I would want Lorelei (not from Pokemon, more like the Styx song).

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-04-06, 04:13 PM
Boy names:
Damien Edwyn (Damien's always been my favourite guy's name, and Edwyn after my grandfather, Edward, but I don't like the name Edward.)
Also: Aethelwulf as a middle name. Yay for pilfering the names of old Saxon cynings!

Girls names:
Naomi Vasilia
Any variation on Kate, Katie, Kaelan, Kaitlyn, etc. I've never met a K that I didn't like.

Closak
2010-04-06, 05:28 PM
Boys:
Killer
Death
Agony
Thunder
Bull
Kefka

Girls:
Barbie
Betty
Pain
Cinder

...I should never be allowed to have children...

Dallas-Dakota
2010-04-06, 05:32 PM
William Felix Lastname
Good to see you honouring your two bestest friends(Me 'n Felix) by naming your firstborn child after us.:smallamused::smalltongue:

Fay Graydon
2010-04-06, 05:36 PM
When I end up getting married and adopting a child.
If it's male I will insist on calling him Leonard (leo) >=3
If female ill make sure it has an exotic name.

But i recommend the name Leonard ^^ :smalltongue:

Player_Zero
2010-04-06, 05:37 PM
I fully approve of the bolded.

Also, Cthulhu.

For the right reasons?

Tirian
2010-04-06, 05:42 PM
My suspicion is that many of you need to be introduced to Baby's Named a Bad, Bad Thing (http://www.notwithoutmyhandbag.com/babynames/).

Dihan
2010-04-06, 06:06 PM
I'd probably go for Welsh names for my kids (being Welsh myself).

For boys:

Iwan
Llwyd
Ianto
Gethin
Lloyd
Wynn

For girls:

Ffion
Cerys
Seren
Lowri

Yeah, I prefer male Welsh names.

Player_Zero
2010-04-06, 06:10 PM
As long as you stay away from 'Owain'. Stupid name if you ask me.

Dihan
2010-04-06, 06:19 PM

Yeah. I agree.

Even if that is my first name. I can't stand it so I use my middle name.

Krade
2010-04-06, 06:24 PM

The only time I have ever seen that name used was Cyan's son (who was dressed in pink btw) in Final Fantasy 6. I always thought it was a silly name. Owain died. It warmed my stone cold heart.

I use my first and middle names interchangably. So much so that sometimes I have trouble thinking of which one I should introduce myself as when meeting new people:smalleek:

Dihan
2010-04-06, 06:29 PM
Yeah, I hated that bit in FFVI because it serves as a reminder to me of this name that will curse my life for all eternity.

I don't care if Owain Glyndwr had it as a name; I still hate it. Just to clarify on pronunciation, it rhymes with wine, not Wayne.

V for Victory
2010-04-06, 06:46 PM
Yeah. I agree.

Even if that is my first name. I can't stand it so I use my middle name.

I'm trying to start doing that for myself. When did you start?

Dihan
2010-04-06, 06:56 PM
Since I was born pretty much. It's a family tradition to use our middle names.

Krade
2010-04-06, 07:06 PM
See, I go by my middle name with my family for the simple reason of "Mom thought it would be cool to have a kid that goes by his middle name." Now that I'm older and its usually too much of a hassle to mention to bosses/teachers that I go by my middle name, I just use my first name (which usually results in people asking me if I'm from Germany).

Zocelot
2010-04-06, 07:27 PM
I haven't given much thought to names for girls, but I've considered changing my own name. Gabriel, Michael, and James are all standard names I like in a guy. Duke is a less standard name, but I like it too.

Assassin89
2010-04-06, 07:52 PM
For me, thinking of potential names for girls is easier than for boys. The use of media for some names is a good source, but then again would you want to name your daughter after the abomination to vampires everywhere?

Girls: Alice, Marissa, Remilia, Erin, Angua, Ellen, Esme

Boys: Ian, Henry, James, Sam, Jacob

deuxhero
2010-04-06, 07:55 PM
Simo (Per the White Death).

Perenelle
2010-04-06, 09:04 PM
Girls:
Carmen
Rebecca
Claire
Lillian/Lilly
Autumn

Boys:
Luke
William
Blake
Dillon
Drew

No one in my family has ever had any of those names, I just like the way they sound. :smallsmile: I considered changing my name to Carmen at one point, but never went through with it.

Amiel
2010-04-06, 09:19 PM
Simo is my nickname actually. Good name that, strong, mysterious, attuned to wealth and success, prosperous long life.

For names, I really would like to experiment with unusual and highly unorthodox names. Like food groups for example, or dairy products. Batman.
Though this will no doubt conclude in me getting a rolled up newspaper to my head, repeatedly, and with vigorous action.

I've also been partial to Welsh and Irish names. They just look awesome; must be a pain to pronounce though. Also some of the more obscure Hebrew names, Keter, Malchut, Yesod, Ein Sof, Sefiroth are always interesting.

TheThan
2010-04-06, 09:27 PM
Whatever the first and last names are the middle name must be “danger”.

Aside from that, I’ve always been partial to Luke or Leia, especially if its boy/girl twins. (and yes I’m serious about the middle name).

Dragonrider
2010-04-06, 10:37 PM
Cerys

I REALLY like this one.

Also: my oldest brother goes by his middle name. Always has. He's greatly annoyed by doctors or teachers who call him by the first.

ForzaFiori
2010-04-06, 10:43 PM
I've also been partial to Welsh and Irish names. They just look awesome; must be a pain to pronounce though.

This has kept me from even considering most Welsh names. While they look and sound awesome, They are hard to pronounce (probably due to the fact that Welsh, for some reason, never invented vowels. :smalltongue:) Add that to a heavy southern accent, and an area where people only complete grade school 50% of the time, and your gonna have problems.

Though I could just move to Wales...

Anuan
2010-04-06, 10:49 PM
Good to see you honouring your two bestest friends(Me 'n Felix) by naming your firstborn child after us.:smallamused::smalltongue:

Actually, the William comes from a Scottish knight with the same surname as m'self :smalltongue: Felix is the source of the middle name, though.

Syka
2010-04-06, 10:53 PM
Whatever the first and last names are the middle name must be “danger”.

My sister is very close to having her fiance agree to that for when they have kids. It helps that me, Oz, AND my mom all have been rooting for that.

She wants to name a daughter Scheherazade, which he actually has already been convinced of (...he doesn't mind a nigh unspellable name for an English speaker, yet Danger is an issue...one of these things is not like the others...). I told her she can't give Scher the middle name of Danger, though. The girl needs to have at least ONE normal name, lol.

Dragonrider
2010-04-06, 11:15 PM
This has kept me from even considering most Welsh names. While they look and sound awesome, They are hard to pronounce (probably due to the fact that Welsh, for some reason, never invented vowels. :smalltongue:) Add that to a heavy southern accent, and an area where people only complete grade school 50% of the time, and your gonna have problems.

They're not nearly as hard to pronounce as they look (though that's still a problem for people trying to go by the spelling). I know very few people who get my name right the first time round, but I'm used to it. (I have one of those names that, by English standards, doesn't have any "real" vowels.) If it helps, W is a vowel in Welsh . . . so, actually, it has more vowels than English does.

Em Blackleaf
2010-04-06, 11:29 PM
I think about this all the time. I love names.

Girls:
Florence
Bryn
Lily
Ellie (or Ella, Elle, etc. I don't like Ellen so much)
Rose

Boys:
Eli
William James (family name that I happen to love)
Nels (also a family name that I happen to love)
Martin (family name I love)

There are probably more...

Zevox
2010-04-06, 11:35 PM
Huh. Well, this isn't something that I've ever really given any thought to - I'm still a long way off from having any kids - but one does come to mind, oddly enough. For a girl, I like the name Jade.

Zevox

Boo
2010-04-06, 11:46 PM
I get "Danger" but... Star Wars?

...Why do I get "Danger"? /rhetorical

My children? If I ever have any, I guess I'd be partial to a few names.

Boy: Michael, Zeppa (not Zappa), David, Gene (Common name between Kelly and Wilder), Frederick (Astaire, plus I have never met a Fred), Charlie, Danny, George, Orson (Welles/Scott Card), Adam (Worth), and maybe one or two others. Maybe I'd just name him after a notorious serial killer? :smallwink:

Girl: Tea (tae-ah), Mary, Elanor (Rigby), Lily, Alice (yes, after that Alice), Emma, Ginger (Rogers), Billie (Holiday), Audrey (Hepburn), and... other ones that I can't remember.

I guarantee this list will expand if I ever find myself and a future SO expecting a child.

Starscream
2010-04-07, 12:42 AM
Why has nobody listed names from Order of the Stick, yet? Okay, so naming your kid Xykon or Monster In The Darkness is probably going to get him laughed at, but I see no problem with Haley or Roy.

Boo
2010-04-07, 12:55 AM
Is it mandatory? Must we like the names of characters in a comic so much that we'd want our children to share such names? You don't see me leaping at the opportunity to name my kid "Batman", do you? Although Robin isn't a bad name (I have a good friend named Robin).

In review, this post comes off as way too harsh. It's not meant to be.

Mando Knight
2010-04-07, 01:57 AM
I'm the traditional sort, so my children would probably share names in common with their grandparents and great-grandparents. Even though doing so would make a few kids look like their parents were Final Fantasy diehards (maternal grandfather was named Cecil, paternal was named Edward).

Dihan
2010-04-07, 02:46 AM

Some digraphs like Ll and Ch can be a bit tricky to get correct but vowels (being A, E, I, O, U, W and Y) all have two, or in the case of Y, three sounds each. Most names don't use all the sounds anyway.

CWater
2010-04-07, 02:54 AM
Hmm...if I ever had kids I'd like to name them:

Girls:Meri(this one is a must, it's the Finnish word for sea!:smalltongue:), Viola, Laura, Aleksandra(couldn't spell it with an 'x', cos according to law it wouldn't be Finnish enough:smallannoyed:), Sandra, Valeria or Timotei(though the kid would hate me for this one:smallamused:)

There are very few male names that I like, but these are okay:
Lauri, Kimi, Mikael, Leo and Karri(pronounced like 'curry', almost)

Kim would be a nice name too. It's the only gender-neutral name I've come across in this country.:smallwink:

(I won't bother you by trying to explain how all these names are pronounced, it would get too boring. Use your imagination!)

Quincunx
2010-04-07, 05:29 AM
For a long while I toyed with the idea of making Minta Rose live, then ascertained who I'd have to breed in order to get a likely genetic mix, and shelved that idea. :smallyuk: Now I have my man, and the curious yet usable custom that his culture uses the middle name as the given one: first name needs to be readable to the American eye, middle name needs to be pleasing to the Swedish eye, and neither should include 'å', 'th', 'j' or other letters which are confused between those languages. (That last requirement annoys me. It spoils my spelling for every matrilineal and patrilineal female name I like. May Minta continue to kill off the half-blooded daughters and spare me having to approve a female name.) I would've been happy enough to invert my husband's name for a son, since he's got a strongly Swedish first name and an acceptably American middle name, but he doesn't like his first name--though not to the extent that my younger sister hated her middle name and changed it. Our anniversary's nameday names are. . .female? They also look like suitable matronymics, yet don't scan as American names--back into the bin of unsuitable names. Bother. The nameday names of our birthdates are relics. Rejected. Nameday of our meeting isn't even a Swedish name (danskt mansnamn--nej tack!). . . .Can I get back to you later on this topic?

TheThan
2010-04-07, 12:39 PM
I get "Danger" but... Star Wars?

...Why do I get "Danger"? /rhetorical

Because danger is the most awesome middle name ever.

your child can say "danger is my middle name" and mean it.

also Luke and Leia happen to be very nice names on top of being a reference to Starwars (and not quite as obvious and silly sounding as Anakin). At least I'm not naming a kid Chewbacca.

didn't some celebrity name his son Kal-El?

Tirian
2010-04-07, 01:20 PM
They're not nearly as hard to pronounce as they look (though that's still a problem for people trying to go by the spelling). I know very few people who get my name right the first time round, but I'm used to it.

My brother's name is Sean (which is Irish and not Welsh, of course), and he has never gotten used to the fact that nobody knows how to spell or pronounce it. Which knocks me out what with all the high-ranking actors with the name, but in an increasing diverse society there seem to be no lack of people who think that it is pronounced "See-ann".

Just one extra data point out there, but he'd ask everyone with exotic or even not-very-exotic-at-all name suggestions to keep in mind that your kid will have to spend their entire lives repeating and spelling it out on the phone.

Dragonrider
2010-04-07, 02:24 PM
My brother's name is Sean (which is Irish and not Welsh, of course), and he has never gotten used to the fact that nobody knows how to spell or pronounce it. Which knocks me out what with all the high-ranking actors with the name, but in an increasing diverse society there seem to be no lack of people who think that it is pronounced "See-ann".

Well, that's bizarre. Really bizarre. But then, my aunt's last name is Cook and people still mispronounce it. :smalltongue:

Just one extra data point out there, but he'd ask everyone with exotic or even not-very-exotic-at-all name suggestions to keep in mind that your kid will have to spend their entire lives repeating and spelling it out on the phone.

I firmly believe that it's worth it to have a unique name. Sure, I've yet to go to a doctor's office where the nurse says it right on the first try (the first name or the last, for that matter) but I can live with it because a) I like my name, and b) I get "wow, that's a pretty name! I've never heard it before!", which is gratifying.

didn't some celebrity name his son Kal-El?

Nicholas Cage.

TheThan
2010-04-07, 02:39 PM
Nicholas Cage.

Ahh that's right.

ForzaFiori
2010-04-07, 02:40 PM

Not positive, but it may be because in most places that use the name (and aren't Ireland/Wales) the spelling has changed to "Shawn" so that its phonetic. I know that in my area, while Shawn is a common name, it is almost always spelled the "new" way. Which sucks, cause I like Sean. In fact, the only person I know with that spelling is a girl in my grade, Seana. Every teacher pronounces it See-in-a or See-anna

Dragonrider
2010-04-07, 02:58 PM
Not positive, but it may be because in most places that use the name (and aren't Ireland/Wales) the spelling has changed to "Shawn" so that its phonetic. I know that in my area, while Shawn is a common name, it is almost always spelled the "new" way. Which sucks, cause I like Sean. In fact, the only person I know with that spelling is a girl in my grade, Seana. Every teacher pronounces it See-in-a or See-anna

I realize it makes me a stick-in-the mud and pedantic to the extreme, but anglicizing names just BOTHERS me. Yes, it makes it easier for us ignorant mainstream Americans to pronounce; but I Feel like it also loses something. That's why, while I am pretty much in love with the name Dafydd, I would rather not name my child that at all than anglicize to some vulgar approximation like Davith. I guess I feel like it's culturally insensitive. :smalltongue: Sort of like insisting on calling American Indians by literal translations of their names rather than by their actual names.

Dogmantra
2010-04-07, 03:05 PM
I'm quite partial to Lucas myself.

Dihan
2010-04-07, 05:07 PM
I realize it makes me a stick-in-the mud and pedantic to the extreme, but anglicizing names just BOTHERS me. Yes, it makes it easier for us ignorant mainstream Americans to pronounce; but I Feel like it also loses something. That's why, while I am pretty much in love with the name Dafydd, I would rather not name my child that at all than anglicize to some vulgar approximation like Davith. I guess I feel like it's culturally insensitive. :smalltongue: Sort of like insisting on calling American Indians by literal translations of their names rather than by their actual names.

Davith?...

DAVITH?!

If they're going to go for an Anglicised version just translate it to English and use David. :smallsigh:

Cobalt
2010-04-07, 06:33 PM
Smyth.

It has a 'Y' in it for crying out loud. And it fits quite well with my last name.

Y is my favorite letter.

onthetown
2010-04-07, 06:41 PM
James, Alexander, or Hunter for a boy. Michelle, Erin, or Caitlin for a girl.

I'm kind of plain. I'll take any of those above, but I like the combinations of James Alexander (has a lot of family meaning) and Erin Michelle.

Unfortunately, Michelle is my middle name and what I go by sometimes, so I wouldn't want to name her that on pain of sounding egotistic or something like that. But I might just take the risk, I like it so much.

Krade
2010-04-07, 06:56 PM
I'm kind of plain. I'll take any of those above, but I like the combinations of James Alexander (has a lot of family meaning) and Erin Michelle.

I knew a James Alexander in high school. He had 2 middle names. And was the third. James *middle name* *middle name* Alexander III. Yeah, Long name.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-04-07, 07:07 PM
I'm a traditionalist and an Englishman, so I will give my children nice, traditional English names, such as Charles, Edward, William, Albert, John... I could go on with potential names. They just need to suit my surname.

Incidentally, I find naming girls harder than naming boys. I think I will use the same principle there though, if and when the time comes.

The Extinguisher
2010-04-07, 07:16 PM
I have a list of really awesome names and I would probably name a kid of mine one of these.

Amy, Emma, Ashling, Seline, Tara, Lilly, Anna, Alexandra, Alexander, Rhys, Isaac, Shawn, Michael, Scott