PDA

View Full Version : Reincarnate Question

Cisturn
2010-04-06, 08:35 AM
Ok, so in our last session, one of our players, a natural lycanthrope were-elephant was killed and brought back using a scroll of reincarnate. My question is would he remain a were-elephant? The Dm is going with no, because he was born a lycanthrope, so it's more of race ability. Does anyone know the actual rules on this?

Starbuck_II
2010-04-06, 08:40 AM
Ok, so in our last session, one of our players, a natural lycanthrope were-elephant was killed and brought back using a scroll of reincarnate. My question is would he remain a were-elephant? The Dm is going with no, because he was born a lycanthrope, so it's more of race ability. Does anyone know the actual rules on this?

No, templates don't stay. You are a new body/creature. Unless you roll were-elephant, you aren't.
The only exception is roll 100. Then DM decides what you become so you could.

Keshay
2010-04-06, 08:48 AM
No, templates don't stay. You are a new body/creature. Unless you roll were-elephant, you aren't.
The only exception is roll 100. Then DM decides what you become so you could.

Which is the reason Maximized Reincarnate is so much fun.

tonberrian
2010-04-06, 09:02 AM
Which is the reason Maximized Reincarnate is so much fun.

Alternatively, Intensified (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#intensifySpell) Reincarnate. Double the fun.

Parra
2010-04-06, 09:03 AM
So how would that template loss, and hence +LA loss transfer to the characters new body? do they suddenly spurt up a few levels? depending ofc on level and LA they had before

Volthawk
2010-04-06, 09:09 AM
So how would that template loss, and hence +LA loss transfer to the characters new body? do they suddenly spurt up a few levels? depending ofc on level and LA they had before

I think they would just lose those levels, so they'd be a lower level. They would catch up quickly enough.

Ranger Mattos
2010-04-06, 09:09 AM
I have a similar question. What about bloodlines, do they stay? And what if you Reincarnate into a form with LA/RHD, like Bugbear or Lizardfolk?

Farlion
2010-04-06, 09:11 AM

From the D&D Wiki:

"A reincarnated creature recalls the majority of its former life and form. It retains any class abilities, feats, or skill ranks it formerly possessed. Its class, base attack bonus, base save bonuses, and hit points are unchanged. Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores depend partly on the new body. First eliminate the subject’s racial adjustments (since it is no longer of his previous race) and then apply the adjustments found below to its remaining ability scores. The subject’s level (or Hit Dice) is reduced by 1. If the subject was 1st level, its new Constitution score is reduced by 2. (If this reduction would put its Con at 0 or lower, it can’t be reincarnated). This level/HD loss or Constitution loss cannot be repaired by any means. "

For human this ability score modification is +0 +0 +0 (Str, Dex, Con).

So I would say, you lose your LA without gaining any class levels for it.

unre9istered
2010-04-06, 09:18 AM
If the DM was interested in not screwing the player out of the LA that they've paid for then he could make a new Reincarnate chart populated by +3 LA races/templates.

Parra
2010-04-06, 09:39 AM
From the D&D Wiki:

"A reincarnated creature recalls the majority of its former life and form. It retains any class abilities, feats, or skill ranks it formerly possessed. Its class, base attack bonus, base save bonuses, and hit points are unchanged. Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores depend partly on the new body. First eliminate the subject’s racial adjustments (since it is no longer of his previous race) and then apply the adjustments found below to its remaining ability scores. The subject’s level (or Hit Dice) is reduced by 1. If the subject was 1st level, its new Constitution score is reduced by 2. (If this reduction would put its Con at 0 or lower, it can’t be reincarnated). This level/HD loss or Constitution loss cannot be repaired by any means. "

For human this ability score modification is +0 +0 +0 (Str, Dex, Con).

So I would say, you lose your LA without gaining any class levels for it.

0 = lvl 1 Racial Level
1,000xp = lvl 2 Racial Level
2,000xp = lvl 3 Racial Level
3,000xp = lvl 4 Racial Level

4,000xp = lvl 5 race level adjustment
5,000xp = lvl 6 race level adjustment
6,000xp = lvl 7 race level adjustment

7,000xp = lvl 8 class lvl 1
8,000xp = lvl 9 class lvl 2
9,000xp = lvl 10 class lvl 3

Total of 45,000 xp

You then die, get reincarnated and lose 1 level in the process. This is equal to 9000xp, hence dropping you xp total to 36,000.
You also lose any racial hit dice, and templates

Does this then leave you with;
a lvl 9 character with 36,000xp (9,000 xp loss)
or
a lvl 3 character with 3,000xp (42,000 xp loss)

the lvl 3 character option is quite sucky, loosing the equivilant to 7 levels is a harsh harsh blow. If it happened to a character of mine, I would probably ditch the character at the first chance i got (presuming ofc it wasn't at the centre of some awesome story)
Personally I like unre9istered's idea