PDA

View Full Version : Can you teleport into an enemy's prismatic sphere?

Lysander
2010-04-06, 09:59 AM
I don't see why not. The sphere blocks all spells that pass through it, but teleportation spells route you through the astral plane, not directly through the sphere walls. The sphere has a 10ft radius around the caster, which provides plenty of room for another person. Just avoid touching the walls (and have some way of flying so you don't fall through the bottom). Even if you do accidentally brush the walls, the purple layer would be first on the inside. So worst case you just get sent to a random plane without taking any damage.

You could dimension door inside and use a quickened spell on the sphere's occupant, or carry someone else inside to attack. Any flaw in my logic?

ericgrau
2010-04-06, 10:04 AM
Yeup, you can. You need to use greater teleport not dimension door, though, if you want to do anything else afterwards in the same round. The DD spell text disallows additional actions in the same round. Teleport could work too, but is more risky.

alexthemad
2010-04-06, 10:13 AM
Well...I don't have any rules logic or anything concrete, but I read a book where Elminster was confronted by a Prismatic Sphere that a friend or relative was in, and he didn't just teleport in. He actually dispelled enough of the sphere so that he could toss in his eversmoking pipe so the person inside would know it was safe to dispel the sphere.

My point here is if Elminster didn't think of or attempt to teleport in, then it might not be possible or a good idea. But I don't have any rule definition to help me argue this, so it might be possible.

gallagher
2010-04-06, 10:17 AM
Well...I don't have any rules logic or anything concrete, but I read a book where Elminster was confronted by a Prismatic Sphere that a friend or relative was in, and he didn't just teleport in. He actually dispelled enough of the sphere so that he could toss in his eversmoking pipe so the person inside would know it was safe to dispel the sphere.

My point here is if Elminster didn't think of or attempt to teleport in, then it might not be possible or a good idea. But I don't have any rule definition to help me argue this, so it might be possible.

in that story line, i believe is the one where magic went all wonky, so it was unsafe to do magic, or for Elminster just too strong of magic. dispelling was much safer than a teleport, where one would not know where he ended up. at least with dispelling he would minimize damage done with a mistake, or at least the girl inside the sphere would be safe

The Glyphstone
2010-04-06, 10:21 AM
Or because it's Elminster. Not exactly the most reliable or consistent of individuals.

Lysander
2010-04-06, 10:46 AM
Yeup, you can. You need to use greater teleport not dimension door, though, if you want to do anything else afterwards in the same round. The DD spell text disallows additional actions in the same round. Teleport could work too, but is more risky.

Does that only apply to the DD caster, or to passengers as well?

ericgrau
2010-04-06, 10:51 AM
Hmm, Dimension Door (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dimensionDoor.htm) says "you" so it looks like it only applies to the caster.

Lysander
2010-04-06, 11:27 AM
Hmm, Dimension Door (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dimensionDoor.htm) says "you" so it looks like it only applies to the caster.

So assuming you can bring someone inside and they can act that same turn, what would be the best strategy to use? Bring in a grappler? Another caster? Should they try to dispel the enemy caster's buffs? Telekinetically push them out of the sphere so your allies can attack them? Unleash AoE spells to force the caster out of the sphere?

Dr Bwaa
2010-04-06, 11:45 AM
Unleash AoE spells to force the caster out of the sphere?

This cannot possibly be a good idea. Any AoE effect in the sphere is going to hit you, too (since you can't cast spells through it). And if you're trying to force him out, well... The onyl way I can see that working is if your friend is an Archmage who is sculpting his spells to avoid himself and avoiding you. But then, why in the hell is he using AoE spells in a 10-foot-radius sphere? A grappler or dispeller might be good (but you should have a talk with your abjurer about why he didn't just get rid of the PS in the first place).

I think a decent strategy is Greater Dimension Door with a Belt of Battle. Use your swift action to get an extra move action (BoB). Use this to GDD into the sphere. The rest of your turn recommences, you grab the wizard, and GDD back out with him. Please bear in mind that I'm not looking at the text for GDD, so it's possible that it's worded in such a way that this wouldn't work. If it doesn't, greater Celerity (once you're inside) would accomplish the same effect, but obviously at a higher cost.

Of course, you could always just hang around outside and wait for the spell to end/the wiz to come out. It's not like he can hurt you in there.

Emmerask
2010-04-06, 12:05 PM
This cannot possibly be a good idea. Any AoE effect in the sphere is going to hit you, too (since you can't cast spells through it). And if you're trying to force him out, well... The onyl way I can see that working is if your friend is an Archmage who is sculpting his spells to avoid himself and avoiding you. But then, why in the hell is he using AoE spells in a 10-foot-radius sphere? A grappler or dispeller might be good (but you should have a talk with your abjurer about why he didn't just get rid of the PS in the first place).

Fireburst + explosive spell (to force him out) + extraordinary spellaim (to exclude the other pc) would do the trick ^^

or the good old defenstrating sphere :smallbiggrin:

not the best method I´m sure but it should work ^^

Lysander
2010-04-06, 12:06 PM
You could use a spell you have immunity to, for example casting cloudkill if you're undead or acid fog if you have acid immunity or resistance. Or it could be something nasty that still hurts you a bit, and you escape the next round with another dimension door. The idea is just to force out the caster.

peacenlove
2010-04-06, 12:36 PM
You could use a spell you have immunity to, for example casting cloudkill if you're undead or acid fog if you have acid immunity or resistance. Or it could be something nasty that still hurts you a bit, and you escape the next round with another dimension door. The idea is just to force out the caster.

Bull rush or Telekinesis (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/Telekinesis.htm) will do the trick. High level wizards-sorcerers aren't known for their strength and bull rush works even if the wizard is flying.

Sinfire Titan
2010-04-06, 12:42 PM
Fireburst + explosive spell (to force him out) + extraordinary spellaim (to exclude the other pc) would do the trick ^^

or the good old defenstrating sphere :smallbiggrin:

not the best method I´m sure but it should work ^^

Doesn't really do anything, as he can just walk through the sphere unharmed and resume being immune to you're allies (after forcing you through it via Defenestrating Sphere, of course).

jiriku
2010-04-06, 01:00 PM
My solution is usually to tell my golem to walk through the sphere and pound anything he finds inside it. But I guess you're looking for something more elegant than that.

A couple of spells would eject the caster. A fell frightening fear spell with do it if he's not immune toi fear: even on a successful save, he's frightened for 1 round, and will run out of the sphere. If you want an effect that will kick him out for a substantial duration, even if he tries to re-enter, an explosive energy subbed (lightning or sonic) acid fog of the three thunders would do it.

Dr Bwaa
2010-04-06, 02:39 PM
You also have to make sure you really want to force him out of the sphere. Remember, you can't leave without teleporting, either.

It also gets harder if he's really in a sphere (that is, if the wiz is flying and thus has a full sphere around him). In this case, everyone jumping in had better have Fly activated, or they're going to be falling through the bottom...

I actually like this idea--Prismatic Sphere in the air, with Mirage Arcana to make it look like that's where the ground is. Then, when the obnoxious adventurers teleport in, they just fall right out the bottom...

strider24seven
2010-04-06, 04:15 PM
My old favorites work wonders here.

Teleport+Battle Jump: Even dimension door might work here. Teleport 5' above the enemy, putting you right at the edge of the sphere and fall onto the enemy. Have your way with him. If he's flying, grapple him. Then you both fall out of the sphere.

Telport+Sun School+Knockback: With this rare combo, you can teleport onto an enemy, whack him, and send him flying out of his sphere, all in the same turn!

Teleport+Shadowpounce: My old standby for magekilling. Should be self explanatory.

*Snap Kick nets you an extra (unarmed) attack for all three combos.
**You can mix and match, or even use all three of these combos at once.
***The Horizon Tripper (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80415) can actually pull off all of these moves, with a little modification.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-06, 08:13 PM
My old favorites work wonders here.

Teleport+Battle Jump: Even dimension door might work here. Teleport 5' above the enemy, putting you right at the edge of the sphere and fall onto the enemy. Have your way with him. If he's flying, grapple him. Then you both fall out of the sphere.Not a good idea. The caster won't be affected by passing through his own sphere (it's right there in the spell description). But you probably will be. By every single layer.

Lysander
2010-04-06, 08:40 PM
Not a good idea. The caster won't be affected by passing through his own sphere (it's right there in the spell description). But you probably will be. By every single layer.

My assumption is that you'd hit the violet layer first and be banished to another plane. Though if you make your will save you might continue on down through the deadly layers. Autofailing your save on violet might be a smart bet.

Jack_Simth
2010-04-06, 08:52 PM
No, no no... you've got it all wrong. You have a Psion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#burrowingPower) take care of the guy in the sphere. Violently. You want him to stay inside, as it blocks Line of Effect back to you.

LibraryOgre
2010-04-07, 02:13 PM
I would say that an intact indigo layer would simply stop a teleport, as it is a spell.

ericgrau
2010-04-07, 05:01 PM
But a teleport is targeted at the caster. It never causes a spell to pass through the sphere, nor does the caster pass through the sphere. But a dimensional lock could protect the caster inside the sphere.

PinkysBrain
2010-04-07, 05:14 PM
I would say that an intact indigo layer would simply stop a teleport, as it is a spell.You never cross it, you go to the astral plane and you then come back inside the sphere.