PDA

View Full Version : Uzumaki [Elder Evil collaboration]

Icarus
2010-04-06, 11:49 AM
Ok, on another board I was directed to a manga called Uzumaki (http://www.onemanga.com/Uzumaki/) and I thought it would be great basis for an Elder Evil.

If you haven't read it, its about a town that is being consumed by "the power of the spiral." People start obsessing over the shape, contorting themselves into spirals; the smoke from the dead being cremated rises and spreads out over the town in a spiral, and people even begin to turn into large animals, such as snails that have a spiral pattern on their bodies.

I want to try to keep away from the whole "There is an Elder Evil. People are insane" theme that seems to pop up with them. While there definitely is a compulsion at work, I think violent obsession would be more fun in the end.

I'm just starting this, and I'm not really coming up with any good ideas so far; so anything is welcome. I recommend reading the manga. I'm usually not a big fan, but it was entertaining in a creepy sense.

On an unrelated note: Are there any other printed elder evils outside of the main book?

Edwin
2010-04-06, 12:03 PM
Ok, on another board I was directed to a manga called Uzumaki (http://www.onemanga.com/Uzumaki/) and I thought it would be great basis for an Elder Evil.

If you haven't read it, its about a town that is being consumed by "the power of the spiral." People start obsessing over the shape, contorting themselves into spirals; the smoke from the dead being cremated rises and spreads out over the town in a spiral, and people even begin to turn into large animals, such as snails that have a spiral pattern on their bodies.

I want to try to keep away from the whole "There is an Elder Evil. People are insane" theme that seems to pop up with them. While there definitely is a compulsion at work, I think violent obsession would be more fun in the end.

I'm just starting this, and I'm not really coming up with any good ideas so far; so anything is welcome. I recommend reading the manga. I'm usually not a big fan, but it was entertaining in a creepy sense.

On an unrelated note: Are there any other printed elder evils outside of the main book?

Might just be me, but I didn't really get a clear vibe as to what you want, but I assume it's statting and such? :smallsmile:

Icarus
2010-04-06, 12:07 PM
Sorry, I'll try to make it clearer.

But yeah, I'm looking for more fluff and crunch, mainly abilities. I think once those are out of the way I can come up with the rest.

Edwin
2010-04-06, 12:09 PM
Sorry, I'll try to make it clearer.

But yeah, I'm looking for more fluff and crunch, mainly abilities. I think once those are out of the way I can come up with the rest.

Mh, cool. Maybe you could include some more information, and save possible forumgoers the trouble of reading every bit of comic there is? :smallsmile:

For example, some important abilities, traits, quirks, anything that's vital to the Elder Evil, and maybe a place to reference it in the comic itself.

DarkSunLord1
2010-04-07, 03:26 PM
I am familar with Uzumaki, having seen the manga as well as the alive-action movie. Both are distubing, with the manga possibly the most so of the two.

Leliel
2010-04-07, 08:27 PM
Hey, good call!

I don't own 3.5, but I'm a hell of a author, so I can help with fluff.

Fiery Diamond
2010-04-07, 08:49 PM
Let me be the first to say,

Naruto.

*runs away*

Admiral Squish
2010-04-07, 09:33 PM
Let me be the first to say,

Naruto.

*runs away*

*pursues with torch and pitchfork* :smallfurious:

Eurus
2010-04-07, 09:45 PM
Well this definitely sounds like an interesting idea. I've read Uzumaki, but not Elder Evils, so I'll try to get my hands on that.

Draken
2010-04-07, 10:43 PM
Hmm... Few recomendations, as I have seen the source material.

While the entire effect on the city is very similar to a Sign of the Apocalypse, the effect is concentrated on an area that is too small to be considered such.

It looks more like an aura generated by a colossal creature that would live beneath the city, and perhaps even be melded into the landscape. Some sort of fey, aberration or Far Realmer (possibly all three) is most fitting.

horngeek
2010-04-07, 11:56 PM
Unless, of course, you're talking a bigger version of whatever it is.

...:eek:

Callos_DeTerran
2010-04-08, 12:37 AM
Unless, of course, you're talking a bigger version of whatever it is.

...:eek:

That does seem to be what the OP is aiming for. :smalltongue: And more power to him! Hmm...I would suggest some kind of...suicide Sign for this Elder Evil. It'd need to be home-brewed but it oddly fits. The people of Uzumaki don't go out of their way to get themselves killed, but you can't deny that what they do directly leads to their deaths. Will save against inheriting a destructive obsession/mental problem/physical problem? The intensity of the sign relating to the save DC and just how severe it gets?

Icarus
2010-04-08, 01:00 AM
The way I'm thinking about it is, yes, it will be bigger than what is portrayed in the comic. I'm choosing to leave out the localized effects (the time-warping, rebuilding the city in a spiral and such), but I do like the idea of some strange underground city, where the Elder Evil would be elder eviling.

Hmm, maybe if I should think about some localized effects.

Eurus
2010-04-08, 01:42 AM
I love the idea of it giving every creature within a certain radius the ability to spontaneously generate tornadoes. Incredible amounts of destruction. :smallbiggrin:

The Tygre
2010-04-08, 10:09 AM
Oh my God...

The anti-spirals were right.

Draken
2010-04-08, 11:06 AM
Well... For a larger effect. Basic suggestions.

Faint: People must make will saves upon interacting with or seeing a spiral or become temporarily fascinated with it. Too many failed saves in a row and the temporary fascination becomes permanent obsession.

Moderate: Daily fortitude saves must be made against random effects from a table. Effects act as a disease (as per D&D diseases), starting with some sort of minor effect and (d)evolving into more terrible things. Examples:

Slowness (reduces movement speed). Eventualy turns you into a giant slug.
Obsesion (Wisdom damage). Reaching zero wisdom causes the person to unconsciously seek out to become a spiral. Death by massive trauma ensues.
Mutation... A harder one... As we have the situation with the hair, the people spiraling their bones around... Not sure how this would work.

Strong: As Moderate, but saves become harder and more frequent.

Overwhelming: Moving more than half your move speed in a move action or more than your move speed in a double action causes a tornado. Performing any standard action in an open area causes a tornado. Performing any full round action in an open are causes a tornado. In spite of my liberal use of the word tornado, strenght of the winds depends on the action performed.

The EE itself would probably be the underground city itself, not something that lives in it. A place that is inherently dangerous and alien.