View Full Version : The March Across Maltak Revisited [Sijian, Tetrada, & Alsen Gor]

Kyeudo
2010-04-06, 12:17 PM
Two travelers, one a stranger and one strange-looking, make their way into the foothills of south-western Maltak, following a winding trail as it ascends towards the mountain caves where the local Shintula tribe should dwell. Here in the shadows of the surrounding hills, the heat is less oppressive than it was out on the plain, but the vegetation is still sparse, limited to scruffy-looking shrubs and stringy grasses.

The first traveler seems normal enough. A man not yet to his thirties, he wouldn't seem out of place in any of the cities in the Scavenger Lands. But he's not in the Scavenger Lands. This deep into Maltak, humans are rare. Before the start of Callanian settlement, only those few peddlers willing to trade with the native orcs could be found this far from civilization. With the war causing deep distrust of humans among the orcs, if not outright hatred, even the peddlers are gone.

The other is more unusual. Resembling a pangolin covered in stone scales, the elemental ambles along beside the first, unfazed by the heat. Her kind have little to fear from the orcs, with their reverance for the spirits of the land. Perhaps her presence will be enough that the Shintula will choose to talk first instead of attack.

Meanwhile, in the Shintula caves, Alsen Gor finishes the last words and gestures of a ceremony to honor the tribe's ancestors. If there ever was a time when the orcs need the guidance of their forbearers, it is now. Though the humans haven't yet come this far south to slake their accursed lust for shiny rocks, it's really only a matter of time. The Alheera clan, stubborn fools though they are, is already a shell of its former self, holding onto its identity through pure bloody-minded stubborness. If the Shintula are to avoid such a fate, they must act, and soon.

Kirindal
2010-04-06, 02:01 PM
Reylis mopped the sweat off his brow for what felt like the hundredth time in the past five minutes. He took another swig from his waterskin and looked at the sky. The hills provided a bit of shade, but the heat was still pretty grueling. Reylis looked at his elemental guide and smiled,

"Tetrada, it's no fair to not sweat. Could you at least pretend that the heat affects you even slightly? Think of my poor ego for a minute."

Jukashi
2010-04-06, 06:44 PM
Tetrada maintained her pace, her movements seeming slow on her large frame as she kept pace with the human beside her, but turned her head down to look at him. He had begun to learn how to read emotions in those black eyes, and she seemed mildly nonplussed. Could she? She couldn't sweat. What else did mortals do when they felt hot?

Drink? He needed the water to live. Stay in their tents? No tent. Put on a hat? She didn't have one. Take off their clothes?

She glanced down at herself.

"Mmm... How would you like me to pretend?" she asked, her voice as slow, smooth and cool as ever.

Kirindal
2010-04-06, 09:19 PM
Reylis stared for a moment at Tetrada, dealing with elementals was a tricky business. It was hard to tell when they were being facetious...if they were being facetious to begin with. He hadn't had too much experience summoning elementals but he knew that some of them could be startling intelligent while others were equally dim-witted. He wondered which Tetrada was.

Reylis shook his head,

"Never mind, I was just posing a rhetorical question."

Reylis paused for a moment to look around. The hills seemed to go on for quite a bit and he wondered how much further it would be to reach the Shintula caves.

"Tetrada, how much further is it to where the Shintula dwell?"

Jukashi
2010-04-07, 08:50 AM
"Not far..." she replied, raising a heavy arm to gesture vaguely ahead of them. "The Shintula are strong, so of course they get targeted by Callan, and by young orcs who want to prove themselves... They conceal themselves so that they're not bothered..."

She glances down at him.

"We could get there faster if I carried you. No rolling," she added; their one experiment with him as a passenger for that mode of transport proved it... uncomfortable. "But I don't get tired easily anyway... But, then, that might make you look weak..."

Kirindal
2010-04-07, 06:59 PM
"That could be problematic, I think I want try to keep all the dignity I have left." Tetrada's suggestion of rolling brought back some rather unpleasant memories that he preferred left locked away. "I think I'll walk."

Reylis left the words hanging for a moment in the air before he spoke again. "Could you help me brush up on my Shintulan history and protocols? The books back in Callan weren't very useful and what I did know might be a bit out of date. Best not to make a horrible first impression."

Jukashi
2010-04-07, 07:58 PM
Tetrada let the question hang for a moment, considering, then said: "I'm an elemental, so, the way I deal with the them is different from how you would... But..." she lifted a thick claw-finger to her mouth for a moment as she thought. "... Even if I tried to remember how the orcs deal with each other, you're Exalted. It might be patronizing to try act like one of them, especially since you're human, too..."

The spirit shrugged, setting some of her stone scales clattering against each other with a mildly pleasing clink sound.

"The important thing is to remember that this is their place," she continues. "Be respectful of them, and their home, the land they live on... and especially the chief, because he represents the whole thing... in a way. I think. I don't usually have to bother much with formality," added the nine-foot rock-beast-woman.

Another silence.

"The Shintula are very close to the... nakta..." Tetrada's long tail swooshed over the dust behind her, speaking a momentary discomfort. "... So they're not as friendly. Maybe if they knew you were Exalted, they would be more respectful, at least... Though I hear they have one themselves, now."

Kirindal
2010-04-08, 12:04 PM
"They do? That's quite interesting, I wonder who they are..."

Reylis pondered, he hadn't really encountered an Exalt since his time at the Heptagram. Well barring that encounter with some Dragonblooded mercenaries hiring out to protect that site. It would be interesting to meet another Exalt although he hoped that it wouldn't be a violent meeting. He had no desire to repeat their last encounter at one of the tent communities where the orcs had taken offense at something he said and it came to a brawl.

He sighed, best to take everything step by step. Who knew what the future would bring so it was best not to jump ahead to conclusions. Reylis continued to probe Tetrada with idle chatter get a better sense of the elemental. Despite journeying together for a few weeks, Reylis still knew very little about Tetrada. Their conversation seemingly ate up the rest of the journey and they were soon nearing the caverns that Tetrada mentioned.

OOC: Apologies about pushing ahead a bit, I figured we might want to pick up the pace so Alsen has a chance.

Justyn
2010-04-08, 05:33 PM
Alshen sprinkled a bit more of the powdered Belkla root to the mixture in his mortar and began to mix it into the paste. Feeling that the paste was mixed throughly enough, Alshen reached-

"<Honored Nakta, may I enter?>"

Alshen shook, the voice has startled him. "<Y-yes, just a moment.>" Alshen reached over to his side and picked up his scarf and wrapped it around his face, then pulled the hood of his robes over his head, leaving only his eyes uncovered. "<Enter.>"

The orc, three orcs actually, entered. Hunters.

"<Honored Nakta, while our group was leaving for today's hunt we saw something... well, two somethings.>"

Alshen scowled. "<Don't pause for dramatic effect; if you came to me, it must be important, so tell me already.>"

"<A human... And... well, something else.>"

"<What did I say about being dramatic?>"

"<But, we really don't know what it is.>"

Alshen cocked an eyebrow. "<Describe it.>"

"<Uh, I'm not too sure that...>"

"<I got a good look.>" the hunter to the right chimed in. "<It looked like some kind of giant animal made of stone. But I've never seen anything like it before>."

"<Made of stone?>"

"<Yes.>"

"<Alright, I should investigate myself then.>" Alshen said as he placed his mortar and pestle on a small outcropping and pulled himself up. Reaching back down, he grabbed some cloth strips and handed them to the smallest of the three hunters.

"<Dump the mixture in that small bowl there into that big tub of liquor there, don't drink any though, it'll make you throw up and give you bad stomach cramps.>" he pointed. "<Then soak these bandages in it until they turn dark yellow, then take them out and wring out the liquid, and repeat that until they stop changing colors at all, it shouldn't take too long. I've gotten it to the point where it's idiot-proof, and I doubt you're an idiot; just don't spill any.>"

The hunter's eyes shot open. "<W-why?>"

"<Because it's very hard to clean up off stone, and no one in ten generations, not even my great grandfather, has had any luck of cultivating the plants needed to make it.. and we are out of one of the ingredients.>"

"<"Now,">"Alshen reached to the doorway and grabbed his staff. "<Let's get going to where you saw them.>"

Forgot to do this earlier, so I might as well kill two birds with one stone.

Demons summoned and bound:
Amayala, an Angyalka: bound under The Functionary ("Play your music", the first demon Alshen Gor summoned, he tried to keep the bindings simple but strong. Because of the nature of the bindings, Alshen knows that if he dismisses her from his presence, he can usually find her playing in the more active caverns.)
Nameless Sesselja: bound under The Functionary (Bound to keep Alshen in good health, but can be convinced to help others, but only if allowed to return to Alshen post haste.)
Oolthil, a Demjen: Bound under The Functionary ("Sing in the tunnels to find metal". She has had little luck thus far, finding only chalcopyrite and bismuthite. She however, is delighted that her chalcothetes are such delightful colors; she has also assisted in expanding the Shintula's caverns, but she only does so if she can be convinced that there might be ore to animate.)
Ikuljul, a Haranhal: bound under The Ecstatic (Having no ready access to metal or a forge, Ikuljul usually assists Alshen and the other Nakta with creating alchemical products; he also spends a great deal of time flirting with any woman he encounters.)

Kyeudo
2010-04-09, 12:34 AM
From the last cliff overlooking the pathway below, Alsen Gor can see the two travelers making their way up the trail. One is an earth elemental, an aegeris, but the other is a human.

Jukashi
2010-04-12, 08:04 PM
Ok, I'm going to make a Perception + Awareness roll to see if I notice these fellows, maybe get things moving again. Tetrada's total is 7.

EDIT: Tarnation, it's been ages since I've used this forum's dice and I messed it up. I'll try again tomorrow.

Kirindal
2010-04-12, 10:52 PM
"So that explains all the stories about boulder-skinned people down in the South. That's interesting, I didn't realize they were about aegeris and not Wyld barbarians. That should change some of the texts about the ecology over there."

Reylis smiled, always happy to learn something new about the world. He continued hiking along, the heat stopped being oppressive once one got into the swing of things.

OOC: Also making a Perception+Awareness roll to see if I notice Alshen and company. 7d10

OOC 2: Buggerit, I'm doing something wrong, let's use this for the meantime: Perception+Awareness to notice Alshen & Orcs (7d10=[1,5,9,2,1,8,1] Two Successes) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2476784/)

Jukashi
2010-04-13, 03:52 PM
"... I'm the only one of my species that I know now..."

Tryin' again!
[roll0]

Kyeudo
2010-04-13, 03:58 PM
If Alsen isn't trying to hide, then you both see him. If he is, you see him if you beat his Dexterity+Stealth.

Kirindal
2010-04-14, 10:47 PM
"Is that a fact? You're the only one of your kind? Perhaps the people saw some other kind of earth elemental that looked similar to your kind."

OOC: Tetrada doesn't know about other aegeris? Apologies for making assumptions while generating idle conversation.

Jukashi
2010-04-15, 05:10 PM
"There were others I knew of... born from the earth to protect this land, as I was," Tetrada answers, turning her head this way and that as she scans the landscape for threats. "The war created us; we come into existence to answer and forestall injury. But those others were destroyed, one by one, by the soldiers of Callan, and I am the last... now there is not enough life in the stone of Maltak to birth more. Perhaps there are others in the world... I wouldn't know. We stay with that which we protect."

Kirindal
2010-04-15, 08:08 PM
"Ah, that might be a possible explanation. I have a question for you. You said you were created the war. As in the land of Maltak birthed you out to defend it without prompting by the orcs? Was your creation prior to or after the taint started to plague Maltak?"

Jukashi
2010-04-16, 04:51 PM
"After..." she answers, "but only just, I think. My birth was to protect the land itself... We are each born with powers not only of stone, but related to our charge; and mine is to manipulate the substance of sanctity and corruption. I am of the Sacred Earth... So, I think, perhaps I was born to answer the very first tainted strike against these plains. I like to think so. I do not know... Maltak is vast, and the history of war is confused. But I have never known any peace here."

Kirindal
2010-04-18, 08:35 AM
"If I can figure out the exact nature of nakta, I might be able to help you. There must be some sort of solution to purge it from the land. The taint of shadowlands don't strike me to be a natural occurrence which means that if cut off properly, it won't just reappear at another location."

Reylis wondered if his current mastery of sorcery was sufficient to back him up on the task. He hadn't recalled reading anything in the treatises his patron had provided on the matter. Perhaps he needed to combine Emerald level sorcery with necromancy to achieve the full effect?

"In the meantime, could you describe to me how the taint of nakta feels like in the earth? In comparison to non-tainted earth, of course. If I could understand the exact interaction of the taint, perhaps there is a key to its removal."

Jukashi
2010-04-19, 08:44 AM
Tetrada tilts her head slightly to the side, and lifts two claws.

"The taint and the nakta are two different things," she says. "The one comes from the infernal powers of demons and those who serve them, and are my foremost enemies... The other is the power of the Underworld, bleeding through into the lands of the living. My nature rejects these as well, but there have always been a few of the nakta-places... far too many, now, but you should know that many orcs consider them sacred, for their ability to commune with their ancestors there... so be careful what you say."

She lifts a hand to her mouth as she ponders a moment.

"As for what they feel like... the infernal taint is like poison, like acid and harsh light and broken sad songs. The nakta is cold, and hungry. They both cling to you, like blood."

Justyn
2010-04-21, 02:29 AM
Rollin' to see if you see what I see me seeing you seeing me.[roll0]

Kyeudo
2010-04-21, 08:09 AM
Alright, looks like Tetrada spots Alsen Gor.

Jukashi
2010-04-23, 11:56 AM
Tetrada pauses. Speaking of sensation had drawn her attention to her senses; the comfort of the earth beneath, the passing of the wind, the scent it carried, and...

"There are orcs watching us..." she says, more quietly than before. "Up on the cliff."

Does Alshen have any demons with him? The sesselja, maybe? Just for later reference.

Kirindal
2010-04-23, 03:28 PM
"Interesting insights Tetrada, I'll see what I can think of. If the taint is demonic in origin, then there must be a way to isolate...."

Reylis trailed off as he started mumbling to himself. Perhaps some sort of method to reformat the materials to separate the earth from the taint? How would that be accomplished? Perhaps utilizing motonic engineering, Reylis recalled from his lore about devices that the First Age Solars had used to convert the Wyld into stable Creation. Maybe a device that extracts the demonic taint straight out of the land... Reylis' musings were interrupted by Tetrada's next statement. Reylis looked up at cliff before looking back at Tetrada.

"How many are there? I wonder if they're from the Shintula or a different clan."

Jukashi
2010-04-23, 06:11 PM
"It is too rare for other orcs to come here... I cannot see the clan markings, but they must be Shintula," she replies. "I doubt they will attack. They can see me."

Kirindal
2010-04-24, 05:38 PM
"I'll keep that in mind to remind you if we get attacked by them later."

Reylis faintly smiled as he kept walking. First impressions were always important and he did not want the orcs to think he was a coward or an indiscriminate homicidal maniac. He started going over the lines in his head as they continued on and finally the mouths of the caves were in sight. Reylis looked around to see if there was going to be someone coming out.

Kyeudo
2010-04-27, 12:49 AM
What can I do to facilitate you people actually meeting up, talking about whatever it is you need to talk about, and then get on with whatever plans you have?

Kirindal
2010-04-27, 08:50 AM
I think perhaps we could bump into a few of the Shintulan sentries before being allowed to meet Alshen. Make some enemies from people wondering what a human's doing on Shintula land.

Kirindal
2010-04-27, 11:03 PM
Reylis was a bit surprised, it had been a few minutes since they had reached the cavern openings and there was no sign of life. Normally by now, there would have been some sign of life like a orc with a grimcleaver to grind against humans. Which meant either they were at the wrong caves or the orcs were bringing up something bigger and nastier to use on them. He looked at Tetrada quizically for a moment before speaking loudly in Orcish towards the cavern.

"<Greetings, I am an humble traveler who seeks the wise council of the Shintula and its chief.>"

Jukashi
2010-04-28, 08:29 PM
"I don't think you can really say you're humble with me by your side..." Tetrada says. "It does make you look like a sorcerer."

A pause.

"That's probably why they're wary."

Kirindal
2010-04-29, 11:07 AM
"Good point, perhaps I should point out that I'm a sorceror?"

Reylis looked at Tetrada,

"I'm very sure that will endear me to them. I'm only here to learn, not to cow the Shintula into submission."

Kyeudo
2010-04-29, 01:35 PM
Your call does not go unanswered long. A half dozen orc warriors, armed with obsidian-tipped spears and javalins, apear from cracks in the rock wall above and leap down to surround you. They level spear tips at Reylis, faces grim. One of them speaks "<What makes you think a human is worthy to speak to our chief?>"

Justyn
2010-04-29, 07:31 PM
Your call does not go unanswered long. A half dozen orc warriors, armed with obsidian-tipped spears and javalins, apear from cracks in the rock wall above and leap down to surround you. They level spear tips at Reylis, faces grim. One of them speaks "<What makes you think a human is worthy to speak to our chief?>"

"<That is not necessary, warriors.>" Alshen stated as he came out from behind an outcropping. "<I will speak to him, and discern his... worthiness myself.>"

Jukashi
2010-04-29, 07:59 PM
The scales across Tetrada's shoulders shift slightly, flattening down in wariness and checked aggression as the orcs appear. The elemental steps a fraction closer behind her charge and moves one heavy, shield-like arm around, across the front of Reylis' body. She directs a black-eyed glare down at the burliest orc warrior, for good measure.

As Alshen appears, her long face turns toward him. The spirit sniffs, and a sense of anger suddenly floods her posture; settling lower, claws flex, muscles tensing with the slight creak of stone. Her tail flicks in agitation, slapping the dusty ground with a thump. A hostile glower settles on the orc.

Since I didn't get an answer, I'm going to assume Alshen keeps his stomach bottle bug with him (as most would) and that it'd be close enough to sense.

1m spent for Measure the Wind.

Kyeudo
2010-04-30, 12:52 AM
"<As you wish, honored nakta.>" The warriors lower their spears as the shaman approaches, then seeing the elemental's sudden reaction, raise them once more, moving to protect Alsen from the aegeris.

Kirindal
2010-04-30, 09:18 AM
"<Lower your weapons, please. My friend means you no harm.>"

Reylis attempted to speak in a reasonable tone. Getting skewered by orc spears in Maltak was not his idea of a good time. Besides hostility would only ensure that the Shintula would definately never share with him the secrets of necromancy. Reylis turned to look at Tetrada and spoke in a softer tone,

"Tetrada, what are you doing? Is there something wrong?"

Jukashi
2010-04-30, 10:40 AM
"He has a demon smell on him," the elemental replies in a low tone, scraping one set of claws across the ground in agitation. "A summoned thing, maybe. I don't like it."

She keeps her eyes on the nakta, seeming to have no concern for any of the other orcs.

Kirindal
2010-05-01, 09:13 AM
Demons? That was just wonderful, it was bad enough Maltak already had an problem with the infernal taint poisoning the land, there was someone foolish enough to add to its problems by summoning demons onto Maltak? Reylis wondered if the other Shintula knew about the demon summoner in their midst and were complicit with their deeds. If that was the case, Reylis couldn't conceivably see how they would let him off their lands with such damning evidence. He had to take this nice and slowly and hopefully only a few people would get hurt later.

"Which one, Tetrada? Which one has the scent of demon taint on them?"

Reylis whispered softly to Tetrada, while keeping a careful eye on the orcs assemebled trying to see if he could guess which one was the fool.

Justyn
2010-05-01, 07:54 PM
"He has a demon smell on him," the elemental replies in a low tone, scraping one set of claws across the ground in agitation. "A summoned thing, maybe. I don't like it."

OOC: what language are you guys speaking here?

Kirindal
2010-05-01, 10:37 PM
OOC: I was assuming Rivertongue, but Tetrada doesn't speak it. So I guess it would be Old Realm then.

Jukashi
2010-05-02, 01:57 AM
That was my assumption.

"The shaman," she replied, still keeping her onyx eyes on that orc. "He has a sesselja in him. Few mortal demon-callers would have the... stomach for it. Perhaps the rumours of an Exalt are true..."

Kirindal
2010-05-03, 01:36 AM
"The shaman is the demon caller?"

Reylis eyed the shaman speculatively. Presumably, one of his stature would be aware of the risks of furthering the tainting of the plains. The orc seemed to be a reasonable person, so for now there was no need to jump to any particular hasty conclusions. If violence was needed, then that would come later.

"I'll keep a close eye on him. If he turns out to be consorting with corruptive powers, then we will deal with him together. Okay, Tetrada?"

Reylis spoke to Tetrada in Old Realm. He turned to bow to the orc shaman and spoke again in Orcish.

"<I have heard that the Shintula are truly knowledgeable in the ways of Nakta. I was wishing to meet with your chief to seek permission to learn from you, shaman.>"

Justyn
2010-05-03, 09:51 PM
"If it would put you at ease, allow me to introduce myself." He bowed a bit at the waist, flaring out the arm that held his walking staff. "I am Alshen Gor, one of the Nakta of the Shintula."

Standing up straight again, he continued, speaking to Tetrada solely. "<It is true, I have indeed summoned one of the Sesselja, and I have bound it to ensure my health for a year and a day, it is of no danger.>"

Alshen cocked an eyebrow at Reylis. "<I... am not one from whom you would wish to learn, I am one of the most junior of this tribe's nakta.>"

OOC: Sorry, I thought I already posted this. DX I hit the preview button instead of the post button.

Kirindal
2010-05-04, 11:32 PM
<"Ah, my pardon then for making an incorrect assumption.">

Reylis returns Alshen's bow as he spoke before straightening up again to look Alshen square in the eyes,

"<Where are my manners? Allow me to introduce myself, I am Sijian Reylis, wandering scholastic. Could you tell me then, who I would need to consult about learning more of your traditions?>"

Kirindal
2010-05-11, 09:03 PM
"<Although, I would prefer to meet your chief first. I must pay my respects first to your leader.>"

Reylis looked at the others before back at Alshen.

"<It would be horribly rude for me to snub him, would it not?>"

Jukashi
2010-05-12, 12:36 PM
Tetrada took a moment to nod at Reylis in response to that last idea; there is a sense, however, that her gaze remains on Alshen. She has only relaxed slightly.

Justyn
2010-05-13, 08:28 PM
"<Although, I would prefer to meet your chief first. I must pay my respects first to your leader.>"

Reylis looked at the others before back at Alshen.

"<It would be horribly rude for me to snub him, would it not?>"

Alshen nodded. "<This would be for the best. Follow me.>" He said as he passed by the two, heading deeper into the caves.

Kirindal
2010-05-13, 09:11 PM
"<Excellent, you have my thanks Alshen.>"

Reylis continued to smile genially as he followed Alshen gesturing for Tetrada to keep pace. He sighed slightly as the cool air of the caves beat away the heat locked in his clothes. It was good to be out of the hot afternoon sun. Reylis looked around idly at the interior of the cave examining whatever caught his eye as he continued to walk.

"<I imagine you don't get many visitors here, especially human ones.>"

Justyn
2010-05-14, 01:59 AM
"<Excellent, you have my thanks Alshen.>"

Reylis continued to smile genially as he followed Alshen gesturing for Tetrada to keep pace. He sighed slightly as the cool air of the caves beat away the heat locked in his clothes. It was good to be out of the hot afternoon sun. Reylis looked around idly at the interior of the cave examining whatever caught his eye as he continued to walk.

"<I imagine you don't get many visitors here, especially human ones.>"

"<We get more than you would think, actually.>" Alshen said as he rounded a corner. "<But most of the Shintula are... not as welcoming of outsiders as I am; and unfortunately for you, our chief is one of them."

He pauses for a second, apparently to take a breath.

"<He is not the type to kill any human who comes by here though; but after the indecent with those humans who tried to remove us over a nearby demesne, I doubt he would be apt to just trust you on your word. Although, having earned some respect from an Elemental will lend you some credibility with him, and perhaps a bit with the other Nakta well.>"

Jukashi
2010-05-14, 09:28 AM
Tetrada follows behind, and seems to become a little more comfortable as they enter the caves; despite her size, the walls of the tunnel seem to never get in the way. At one point, she pauses to stroke a claw along a vein of some darker stone that runs through the rock beside her.

After this brief moment of contemplation, she casts a look at Alshen's back, and moves up closer behind him.

"Are you Exalted?" she asks bluntly, leaning over the nakta.

Taking the three ticks needed to recover a mote from contact with the earth. Might as well!

Kirindal
2010-05-15, 09:33 PM
"<Oh good, some credibility.>"

Reylis replied dryly, after all what was an elemental or two? Perhaps he should have summoned a few demons instead. The chief probably would be exceptionally thrilled to deal with a human infernomancer.

"<I believe the chief will be a reasonable person. I'm sure we can come to some sort of arrangement...>"

At Tetrada's interruption, Reylis looks at her with a indeterminable expression on his face. Alshen could be the Exalted she had mentioned earlier? That would explain a few things especially about why the other orcs had deferred to him. Perhaps it would be best to get on Alshen's good side too. Allies in Creation were an hard commodity to come by.

Justyn
2010-05-16, 09:22 PM
"<Oh good, some credibility.>"

"<Having a small advantage is better than having no advantage at...>"

"Are you Exalted?" she asks bluntly, leaning over the nakta.

Alshen stops in his tracks when Tetrada asked him, nearly bumping into her as she kept walking. Nearly. Turning himself around while taking a step backwards from the two of them, he spoke.

"<I wasn't expecting you to figure it out so quickly, but, yes, I am Exalted.>"

Jukashi
2010-05-16, 10:03 PM
Tetrada sways slightly as she stops, trying to avoid bumping into the orc but carried forwards slightly by her own weight. She keeps her eyes on his, and nods slightly as he affirms her suspicion; with a little deference now, maybe?

"Mortals..." she responds, "... cannot "bind" demons - only beckon them. And certainly not for a year and a day."

She leans forward suddenly, peering close at him and running her gaze - again, one senses the movement of her eyes despite their featureless onyx appearance - up and down his body.

"If you would feel like answering - what kind?"

Tetrada tries to look for a Tell or Aspect markings, but since there aren't any I won't bother rolling. :P

Kyeudo
2010-05-19, 01:51 AM
Alshen doesn't get to answer the question because you round a corner and enter the chieftain's chamber.

Dangling chains of charms made of bone, feathers, and carved wood hang all along the cieling. Niches chipped into the walls hold ritual objects, like decorated animal skulls, wooden idols, and large chunks of crystal. Occult symbols adorn the walls and cieling. Woven mats scattered around the edges of the room seem to be the only furniture. A second chamber, used for sleeping, apears to open off this room towards the far end.

The chief sits near the far wall, shaving small pieces off an unfinished bone carving. His eyes narrow at the sight of the human behind Alshen, then his expression becomes puzzled when he sees Tetrada. "What have you brought here, my son?"

The sesseljae shifts uneasily inside your guts, repelled by the numerous talismans against demons dotting the room.

Jukashi
2010-05-19, 05:48 PM
Does this count as a sacred place? Just in case of... whatever. ;)

Kyeudo
2010-05-21, 11:04 AM
I'll count it, though its more a place of occult significance than a religious location.

Kirindal
2010-05-23, 10:25 PM
Reylis watched the chief talk to Alshen and thought of speaking up. However, the question was not addressed to him and chieftains tended to be a very prickly lot. Instead, he looked around studying the talismans and other ritual objects that the chief had gathered in the room. He kept an eye on Tetrada to gauge what appropriate reactions he should have.

Justyn
2010-05-27, 04:23 AM
Upon entering into the chamber of the chief, Alshen bows down on one knee before the chieftain. Gesturing back to Sijian and Tetrada, he spoke in Orcish.

"<Honored chief, I bring before you these two: this human who goes by the name Sijian Reylis; I do not believe he is of Callan. And next to him is one of the Noble Spirits of the Element of Earth, I believe she goes by the name Tetrada. The wish to speak with you.">

The chief nodded his head and put down both his knife and project, and spoke, also in Orcish.

"<You both come before me for a reason, and I doubt that that reason is to have some dreamweed. Tell me what you are here for.>"

"<Um, Honored Chief," Alshen said, in a much lower voice. "they do not speak our tongue, so you may wish to speak to them in the Language of the Spirits, as I have found that they both speak it.>"

The chief rolled his eyes and groaned. "<I do wish you had told me that earlier, Alshen>."

"<M-my apologies.>"

The chief cleared his throat and spoke again, repeating himself virbatim, save now in Old Realm. "You both come before me for a reason, and I doubt that that reason is to have some dreamweed. Tell me what you are here for."

Jukashi
2010-05-27, 01:30 PM
We can all speak orcish, actually.

Tetrada casts a glance at the human beside her, pondering a slightly tricky problem that had occurred to her. Tradition dictated that an elemental should defer to their Exalted summoner; but if Reylis wanted to keep concealing his divinity, she needed to pretend she was the one in charge.

It would probably be easier for her to speak anyway, she decided; spirits were not expected to adhere so tightly to formal modes of speech, which he might have trouble with in any case.

"As a spirit of the earth," she began, "my purpose is to clear the taint of the supernatural poisons that have infected Maltak. This man..." she said, indicating Reylis by reaching up behind and placing a heavy hand on his shoulder, "Is a scholar. He both possesses and seeks knowledge, and wisdom. I have accepted a partnership with him; in exchange for his assistance in my duty, I agreed to bring him here to you, in hopes that he can learn of the nakta, which is essential in understanding the essence of this land..."

She traces a claw through the air; thin glittering strands of sun-golden light curl like smoke as she momentarily pulls fragments of holy essence into existence, drawn from the ambient influence of the wardings strung all around the room. She waves her thick stone digits through the air, spinning the delicate strings into a beautiful cats-cradle of materialized magic before letting them dissolve back into the spirit world.

"... which in turn, may present the possibility of curing its ills. We would both be grateful for such an indulgence," she finishes.

5m on Creation of Perfection.

Kirindal
2010-05-27, 05:27 PM
Reylis stared blankly at Alshen and the chief while they were conversing in Orcish. He wasn't entirely certain if Alshen was aware that Reylis had spoken Orcish earlier, but Alshen probably had some reason not to mention that fact to his chief. However, he had a feeling that the chief would be offended anyway if Reylis started speaking in his native tongue. So for the moment it was better to feign ignorance.

When Tetrada started speaking, Reylis nodded in agreement. He really couldn't have said it better and hopefully the chief would look upon the request more favorably if an respected elemental of Maltak stated it.

"My partner speaks for me, great chief."

Kyeudo
2010-05-30, 03:29 PM
"And I am supposed to instruct this outsider in our sacred traditions, with only the hope that he can help deal with the problems plagueing our lands as compensation? What guarantee do we have he is up to such a task?"

Jukashi
2010-05-30, 06:41 PM
Tetrada spares a moment to look at Reylis again. Again, she had to assume that he still wanted his nature concealed. She turns back towards the chief, and fixes her gaze onto his. She wouldn't lie, but she could skirt the full truth. Would he be cunning enough to unravel her words? She decided to risk it.

"You have my personal guarantee," she declares, "That if there is any kind of human being who can help heal these plains, this man is one of them. And if any god or elemental spirit were here in my place, they would agree with me."

Her voice lowers.

"If the worth of Sijian Reylis not proven to you within a year's time, I will repay you a year's service myself. But that will not become necessary."

Kyeudo
2010-06-01, 01:40 AM
The chief's eyes widen a little at your ardor in vouching for this human. "If you are that sure, then perhaps teaching him may be useful."

His eyes narrow. "But know this: I will hold you to your word and I have to skills to enforce it."

Jukashi
2010-06-03, 06:33 PM
"I know," she replies simply.

Kyeudo
2010-06-04, 12:05 PM
"Then let us see if this human can learn anything."

He turns to Alshen. "Find him a place to sleep. We'll begin in the morning."

Before you leave, he calls out one last thing. "Oh, and Alshen, you should attend as well. It is more than time that we saw to your own training."

So, if I'm understanding your characters correctly, both Sijian and Alsen want to add necromancy to their repetoire. This seems the best oppourtunity to get the training in. Do you want to handle the training time as a montage or do you want to roleplay out some or all of the five Trials?

What will Tetrada be doing in the meantime?

Kirindal
2010-06-05, 01:20 AM
Reylis listened to Tetrada and the chief talk, looking a bit testy when Tetrada offered a year's service if he failed at his task. Reylis failed at very little, thank you very much. However, he held his tongue since he was aware that he did not have a way with words that others did and anything he would say would spoil Tetrada's efforts. Reylis marshaled himself to stowaway the sour look and remain calm.

When the chief finally agreed to allow him to stay and learn, he felt a slight smile creep onto his face and he relaxed slightly. Soon he would be able to learn what those odd fragmented formulas were. Reylis bowed slightly to the chief,

"Thank you, your faith will not be misplaced."

Reylis turned to follow Alshen while walking next to Tetrada. He looked at her as he spoke,

"Why did you volunteer a year of service? If I failed, I would have been more than willing to work longer as their hostage."

OOC: Roleplaying the Trials would be fun.

Jukashi
2010-06-05, 02:56 PM
Tetrada returned his question with a blank look, the type - he was learning - that she used whenever some peculiar human thing had her mildly puzzled.

"They have no reason to trust your word," she explains quietly, "Whereas I am a spirit, and therefore, respected. I offered my service to lend weight to my words. I don't expect to have to do it. I knew the offer would tempt him... moreso than would the same from you, as I am an elemental."

"Besides," she adds, dropping her voice again. "It would not be proper for you to offer service to mortals."

Well, assuming there's no possibility of martial arts training, perhaps Alshen or Reylis could offer to start her on sorcery in their spare time?

Kyeudo
2010-06-07, 02:45 PM
The next morning you return to the chief's chamber to find an occult diagram drawn on the stone floor in dried blood. Lines spiral out from a clay pot containing a young oak sapling on one side of the diagram to a clay pot that apears to contain nothing but dirt. Chief Thuen Gor sits at the edge of the diagram across from you, a fresh bandage around one wrist.

"Have a seat."

Once you are seated, the chief begins. "You wish to learn about the Nakta. I must wonder if you really understand what it is you ask. The Nakta is not something that one can just explain. What it does? That can be shown and explained, yes, but that does not mean you understand why the Nakta does what it does or how necessary it is."

He reaches out and lays one hand on the edge of the diagram. The redish-brown lines deepen in color to a rich chocolate brown, spreading out from his touch until the color encompasses the whole. "The Atka is the flow of life. It is the heartbeat of our land. Where the Atka is, our land flourishes." A small sprout, growing before your eyes, pokes up out of the pot of soil and puts out a pair of small leaves.

The sapling's leaves, however, have turned from a healthy green to a sickly yellow, growing worse by the second. "The Nakta is not so kind. The Nakta takes life instead of giving it. The unenlightened would think that this makes the Nakta undesirable, a plague to be rid of. Such fools they are."

"The Nakta is like the space between heartbeats. Too long, and death is inevitable." The brown color beneath his hand fades back to its original color and with it the sapling's condition immediately begins to improve. However, the new sprout immediately turns yellow and wilting. "Shorten it and life blooms." A second ripple of brown spreads through the diagram, a brown so dark it is almost black, and health returns to the new sprout. Several more break free of the soil, all growing into full blossoming sunflowers in a matter of heartbeats.

"But shorten it too much and you invite disaster." The diagram darkens all the way to black and the flowers go wild. One turns purple, a second grows teeth and begins to devour a third, and then the whole pot catches fire. The color fades from the diagram, leaving lines of ash upon the floor, a burning pot of sunflowers, and the dessicated husk of the sapling.

"Without the Nakta to balance the Atka, our lands would have fallen away into the Wyld centuries ago. In its own way, it provides for us. Through it, our ancestors may pass down their wisdom though they have been gone for generations. It warns us when our petty squabbles have gone too far. And for those that have the strength of will to master it, it serves us as a useful tool."

"But it is not a tool to be used indescriminately. Each use can upset the balance of life. One must learn wisdom when one seeks to master the Nakta or disaster will surely follow in your footsteps."

"Still, all of this barely begins to scratch the surface of what the Nakta truly is. If you truly wish to understand, you must learn it for yourself. Because Tetrada has chosen to sponsor you, I have agreed to teach you, but if you wish to learn you will do as I say for as long as you are my student. Do you still wish to continue?"

If we're going to roleplay out the trials, then I'll need a few things from both Sijian and Alshen. What would drive your characters to absolute rock bottom emotionally? That is perhaps one of the hardest trials to figure out, especially since you are both Solar Exalts. Nothing phases Solars for too long.

In the meantime, Tetrada has a solid amount of free time now. Jukashi, you can have her do whatever would be in character for her to do.

Jukashi
2010-06-07, 07:20 PM
With no demands or suggestions from her summoner - she checks on him several times a day - Tetrada easily slips back into her default state of being. During the day, she patrols through the rock and soil surrounding the Shintula's home, seeking out the touches of infernal essence that carry from afar on the dragon lines and well up through the presence of Alshen's demonic servants; as if they were tangled knots in the cloth of Creation, her divine touch eases them out into nothingness. Wary of the orcs' reverence for the nakta, she keeps herself away from the places it resides. In place of such direct work against death, she reworks the stone around the caves to provide the orcs with greater protection against any future invaders; as an elemental, her work is indistinguishable from nature.

At night, when creatures of flesh and blood need sleep, she sits near Reylis, wondering if and how she, too, could be making herself more powerful than she is. Lacking any other opportunity for self-improvement, she follows her instincts and simply allows the earthen essence of the stone all around to collect in her body.

Assuming no opportunity for MA or sorcery training, Tetrada divides her time between general home improvement and soakin' up dirt-magic.

Kirindal
2010-06-08, 01:00 AM
As Reylis retired for the night prior to the first day of instruction, he thought he sensed something uneasy in the way that Tetrada was carrying herself. Reylis wasn't certain but the time spent together had made her familiar with some of her odd affectations. He wasn't entirely certain if his observation was accurate or mistaken due to sleepiness. Perhaps he would ask Tetrada tomorrow after Nakta study.

The following day, Reylis got seated as instructed and absorbed what the chief stated. Some of what he said seemed to correlate with what little he had read about in the libraries but there were some interesting nuggets of enlightenment. How exactly was necromancy the balance of sorcery? Did the presence of necrotic Essence channeled through necromancy cancel out the essence of Creation leaving nothing where both once were? Was the opposite equally true? Many questions to be explore, that was for certain. Reylis realized that the chief was looking at him for his answer to the question and Reylis nodded before replying,

"Indeed, I'm willing to continue, Master."

OOC: For Reylis, it is the abandonment of his past. As it is, he doesn't feel comfortable wearing the guise of Sijian Reylis as he still feels that he is still Amilar Dainho of Lookshy. Every step he takes that cuts him off from what he was leaves him frightened. It's like living in a house where you're blasting the foundations to smithereens while you're still in it. You don't know what will happen with the next blast and if the next blast will bring the house crashing on your head. As such, he is unwilling to abandon or destroy anything that was proof that once Amilar Dainho existed.

Reylis is willing to tutor Tetrada in sorcery if she prefers, martial arts less so since he hasn't even attained the Form charm for the Arms style yet. All she needs to do is ask. :D

Kyeudo
2010-06-09, 10:50 PM
"Then follow me."

The orc chieftain picks up a torch and leads you deeper into the cave. The room he leads you too is circular and the walls unadorned, but across the floor are scattered dozens of rocks of all shapes, sizes, and shades. "You will sort these rocks until you do it properly."

Kirindal
2010-06-14, 01:48 PM
Reylis looked at the pile of rocks and looked back at the chieftain,

"Into what categories should I sort the rocks, Master?"

Kyeudo
2010-06-16, 01:35 AM
Sijian

"Figure it out." He leaves you to your rocks.

Fluff your attempt however you want and roll whatever seems appropriate to you.

Tetrada

Tetrada's ministrations reveal a disturbing trend. The stain of necrotic Essence along the local dragon lines is growing, slowly but steadily. Were this the edges of a shadowland, on a recent battlefield, or even near a graveyard, this might be understandable, but the traces lie in mountain passes rarely frequented except by orc hunters and scouts.

Kirindal
2010-06-18, 01:18 AM
Reylis studied the rocks for a moment observing their immediate characteristics to see if there was an obvious pattern that the chieftain wanted. At first he set them in a row according to size but after staring at it a moment, he wondered if he was missing some alternative pattern and he started rearranging them again...and again...and again...

After what felt like hours at it Reylis paused to glare at the pile of rocks stonily looking back at him. The rocks were mocking him, he was sure of it. He sat on the ground, his arms crossed across his chest as he started to wonder why he felt so discomforted despite sorting the rocks into new criterias. Perhaps he was missing some sort of underlying factors of the rocks. Reylis picked up one of the rocks and began studying it closely for a moment. The rock seemed to defy analysis as he examined it and Reylis threw it back onto the stack and wondered what he was missing. Perhaps he was supposed to organize them by how the rocks could be interpreted as fundamental sorcerous principles? Reylis started examining the rocks and sorting them into the order by principles.

Intelligence+Occult to see what rocks match what principles and sort them in the order that the principles were created: [roll0]

Kyeudo
2010-06-18, 02:18 AM
Nicely done. Two stunt dice:[roll0]

At the end of the day, the chief returns to see your work. Thuen Gor takes one look at the rocks laid out across the cavern floor and then glares at you. "This is not the correct way. Tomorrow, you will begin again."

Question: How is our orc chief to pick up on the past life that Reylis is hiding?

Jukashi
2010-06-20, 07:03 PM
Tetrada spends some time edging around the areas where the essence of death flows, judging their area and position in relation to the landscape and the alignment of the dragon lines throughout the rest of the plains that she is familiar with.

Worried, she tunnels back to the home of the Shintula; with the strange casually-formal air of a spirit at their duty, she seeks out the chief, not bothering with such mortal concerns as doors as she passes straight through the stone in which the clan lives.

"Chief Thuen Gor," she says upon finding him; "The land has seemed strange as I tended it. The scent of the nakta carries in places where it is not its nature to dwell. Do you have the knowledge of why this may be so?"

4m for Landscape Travel, if it matters.

Kirindal
2010-06-21, 03:15 PM
Reylis wondered what he was missing if he wasn't supposed to sort the rocks by sorcerous principles. Perhaps the chief wanted something more fundamental to the sorting process. Perhaps sorting by the principal laws that governed Creation? Reylis pondered how he would do this as he wandered through the tunnels in search of Tetrada. He was far from discouraged, after all this was only the first day.

Kyeudo
2010-06-23, 04:29 PM
"If what you say is true, then only two possibilities exist. Either the souls of our ancestors wander there for some reason or someone has been using necromancy there without care. Either answer is worriesome."

Jukashi
2010-06-23, 07:34 PM
"The traces seem to linger in certain mountain passes, as if left by the passage of some creature," Tetrada explains. "Yet I do not think the spirits of your ancestors would need travel in that manner. There are other things which carry the spirit of death with them, however, yet walk like beasts or men do; things that you would not welcome. There are monsters in the lands of the dead as well as of the living, and sometimes they cross over."

She shakes her head a little, to herself.

"If needs must, I will walk the spirit world and speak to the gods of this place; at least some would almost surely know what passed. But it would tax me to travel there and return."

Kyeudo
2010-06-28, 01:22 PM
"I know of those things of which you speak. If the walking dead are wandering our lands, then we must find out where they are and why they are here. Such perversions of the Nakta cannot be allowed to continue their existance."

"I will have scouts sent out, to see if we can find the intruders, but I am afraid that my options in hunting them directly is more limited than your own. I can summon other elementals and ask for their help, but they will have much the same difficulties as yourself."

Kirindal
2010-06-28, 05:39 PM
Reylis wandered through the tunnels, one hand idly feeling the wall as he passed through. Where had Tetrada gone off to? He looked for the first orc he could find to ask if they had seen Tetrada.

Kyeudo
2010-06-29, 12:51 AM
Reylis

"No one has seen the honored Tetrada since she left this morning."

Kirindal
2010-07-03, 12:26 AM
Reylis nods,

"<Thank you for your help.>"

Reylis walked down the tunnels in search for Tetrada. Perhaps she would have some insights about the significance of rocks in Shintula tradition. Reylis wondered where Tetrada might be. Perhaps she was meditating at a locus. He headed off to go find the chief again for directions.

Jukashi
2010-07-04, 10:56 AM
Tetrada nods in response to the chief's words. "I will continue searching as I can, then... but I will save my strength, in case this is an omen of some deeper plot. On somewhat lighter matters, how is Reylis taking to his first lessons?"

Kyeudo
2010-07-04, 11:51 PM
"I shall ask a few of our ancestors to see if they will consent to aid you."

"As for Reylis, it is too soon to tell." As though summoned by the sound of his name, the young Solar walks into the chief's rooms. The chief frowns. "Although given his lack of dedication to his work, I would guage not well."

Kirindal
2010-07-08, 03:08 PM
Reylis bowed slightly to the chief as he entered,

"<Ah, my apologies. I was looking to speak with Tetrada, but it seems you are both busy at the moment. I wish talk with you later, Tetrada after you are done.>"

Reylis took a step out of the chamber and back down the corridor for a bit to wait for Tetrada.

Jukashi
2010-07-17, 05:21 PM
As Reylis moves away, Tetrada turns her head back to the chief to share a look with him. Without speaking, she shrugs - her stone scales clatter gently - and gives a respectful nod before going after the Solar. What did he want?

Kirindal
2010-07-26, 01:33 PM
Reylis only leaned against the wall to wait for Tetrada to be finished when she walked out of the chamber soon after he did. Reylis straightened up, looking a bit concerned at Tetrada.

"I hope I didn't interrupt anything Tetrada. I was hoping to look for you so I could have someone to talk to after my studies today. Petty of me, I suppose."

Jukashi
2010-07-29, 09:19 PM
Tetrada gently shakes her head.

"I am here to help you," she replies, "and I was, in fact, just speaking to the chief about you. What would be your problem?"

Kirindal
2010-08-06, 01:46 PM
Reylis scratched his chin for a moment,

"I was hoping to mine your knowledge of the occult and sorcery. The chief wants me to be able to sort rocks in some order I can't perceive. I tried using a sorting method by sorcerous principles but that wasn't correct. So I was hypothesizing that perhaps there was something I wasn't able to see. I figured that as an elemental you have the ability to perceive dragon lines and essence rich objects.

So are there any particular minerals or materials that are particularly essence-absorbent?"

OOC: Apologies for the long delay between posts, finals in summer classes are a hassle.

Jukashi
2010-08-09, 10:28 PM
Tetrada tilts her head slightly to the side.

""Rocks"," she quotes, and sighs, puffing a small cloud of dust. "It was a long time before I understood that word. So terribly generic. I don't see "rock" when I look at the fruits of the earth. I see..."

She gestures vaguely.

"Limestone, sandstone, marble, granite, flint, hematite, basalt, onyx... all with their own patterns of erosion, faults and veins and striations and..." she trails off, and shakes her head ruefully. "They're all different. Different history, different qualities. As to essence? Some carry traces of other elements. Touches of Fire from volcanic birth, the Water of the tiny shelled creatures that formed chalk or limestone long ago, the Wood that turned to coal. Crystals attract and focus essence easily. Every form of stone has its own little peculiarities."

"Of course, there's any stone that comes from a Demense. And Jade is special, of course. And salt. Beyond that? I can't think of anything any mortal would notice."