PDA

View Full Version : Discern Distance (Cantrip - PEACH)

Lysander
2010-04-06, 01:52 PM
Discern Distance
Divination
Level: Sor/Wiz 0, Drd 0
Components: S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Effect: Learn distance to nearest barrier
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

You point in any direction and learn the distance to the nearest barrier in that direction that blocks line of effect. You do not learn what the barrier is however.

arguskos
2010-04-06, 01:54 PM
So... this finds walls. What use does this have? Even for a cantrip, this is remarkably useless.

Lysander
2010-04-06, 01:59 PM
Potential uses of the spell:

Finding depth of water or depth of a chasm
Taking precise measurements of buildings
Detecting distance to the wall or ceiling in a dark area or when blind
Detecting invisible walls
Discovering illusions of walls

Forever Curious
2010-04-06, 02:00 PM
Potential uses of the spell:

Finding depth of water or depth of a chasm
Taking precise measurements of buildings
Detecting distance to the wall or ceiling in a dark area or when blind
Detecting invisible walls
Discovering illusions of walls

Wow, with all those uses it's almost 1st level material! :smalltongue:

Seems like a solid cantrip to me.

arguskos
2010-04-06, 02:04 PM
It's cantrip material at best, given that those uses can be duplicated in some cases with a rock with a rope tied to it, or with a piece of chalk and rope, or a spyglass.

I guess, if you need to know in inches how far away that wall is, then it's fairly useful. And it'd be good for fighting a terrain-altering illusionist.

herbe
2010-04-06, 02:48 PM
This is a really useful cantrip as useful than other. It could be useful in general especially for every scholastic pedant. And its really useful when you are blinded.
What block line of sight? that would be clarify (darkness, failed if out of spell range, fog, trees, paper, living creatures....) however i like it as other cantrip more,more,more.... :smallsmile:

Lysander
2010-04-06, 02:52 PM
What block line of sight? that would be clarify (darkness, failed if out of spell range, fog, trees, paper, living creatures....) however i like it as other cantrip more,more,more.... :smallsmile:

Here's the description of what line of effect is:

Line of Effect

A line of effect is a straight, unblocked path that indicates what a spell can affect. A line of effect is canceled by a solid barrier. It’s like line of sight for ranged weapons, except that it’s not blocked by fog, darkness, and other factors that limit normal sight.

You must have a clear line of effect to any target that you cast a spell on or to any space in which you wish to create an effect. You must have a clear line of effect to the point of origin of any spell you cast.

A burst, cone, cylinder, or emanation spell affects only an area, creatures, or objects to which it has line of effect from its origin (a spherical burst’s center point, a cone-shaped burst’s starting point, a cylinder’s circle, or an emanation’s point of origin).

An otherwise solid barrier with a hole of at least 1 square foot through it does not block a spell’s line of effect. Such an opening means that the 5-foot length of wall containing the hole is no longer considered a barrier for purposes of a spell’s line of effect.

So no, darkness and fog doesn't block it. It could only find a creature if they were big enough to block line of effect...pretty damn big that is, and it would depend on what angle you're aiming at. It could detect a tree trunk wide enough to block line of effect but not a narrower trunk. A paper wall could block it. If there was no barrier within range you'd simply detect nothing, which would still be useful information.

Ashtagon
2010-04-06, 03:03 PM
I'd let it last a duration of one minute per level.

Lappy9000
2010-04-06, 03:30 PM
I'd let it last a duration of one minute per level.Cantrips don't normally increase per level; it might almost make them useful :smalltongue: Edit: Granted, the spell range does increase, and I don't think it really would matter much either way.

Nice little spell! I'd certainly add it to my spellbook :smallcool:

herbe
2010-04-06, 03:33 PM
Nice little spell! I'd certainly add it to my spellbook Me too :smallwink:
and thanks for clarification to Lysander

Ashtagon
2010-04-06, 03:39 PM
Cantrips don't normally increase per level; it might almost make them useful :smalltongue: Edit: Granted, the spell range does increase, and I don't think it really would matter much either way.

Nice little spell! I'd certainly add it to my spellbook :smallcool:

ok then, make it a flat one minute. The point is to avoid the meta cheese in which the player points at the ledge in the chasm and misses the pit of despair either side 9or vice versa).

Lappy9000
2010-04-06, 03:40 PM
ok then, make it a flat one minute. The point is to avoid the meta cheese in which the player points at the ledge in the chasm and misses the pit of despair either side 9or vice versa).Yeah, that's a good idea. Nothing wrong with a one minute duration.

Lysander
2010-04-06, 03:45 PM
ok then, make it a flat one minute. The point is to avoid the meta cheese in which the player points at the ledge in the chasm and misses the pit of despair either side 9or vice versa).

The best way to do that probably is to change it from instantaneous to concentration with a maximum duration of 1 round/level. Each round you could point in a new direction.

sreservoir
2010-04-06, 08:09 PM
would it really do that much harm just to let it last for concentration? (and is casting another spell while casting a concentration spell legal?)

Lysander
2010-04-07, 08:33 AM
would it really do that much harm just to let it last for concentration? (and is casting another spell while casting a concentration spell legal?)

No, it isn't.

DracoDei
2010-04-07, 09:26 AM
IF the GM is doing his job right and NOT giving accurate ranges to distant enemies casually, then this could be good for making sure you really ARE in range to start blasting before springing a surprise attack.