PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian/Sorcerer Gish? [Pathfinder]

Ravens_cry
2010-04-06, 03:17 PM
The flavour is excellent. Big burly tribesman out ion the wilds, finds power growing within him he cannot contain. Gets exiled after a few incidents involving the chiefs yurt. Now a big, burly, ANGRY tribesman with power he cannot contain.
How to execute though? This is why I come to you people.
Pathfinder 20 point buy most likely (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/ability-scores#TOC-Generating-Ability-Scores).
Pathfinder Core, plus possible Magic Item Compendium use.
Help Please?

Starbuck_II
2010-04-06, 03:19 PM
So barb 1/Sorceror X till reach DD lv 1.
The standard Dragon Deciple now with actual spellcasting.
Warning: may contain dragon wang. Not for use if pregnant.

You need 5 ranks. So Sorceror 4?
It would look like: barb 1/Sorceror 4/DD 1
This has better casting.

or Barb 1/Sorceror 3/Barb 2/DD 1
This has 1 Rage power/Uncanny dodge and 2 extra rage rounds.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/dragon-desciple

Ravens_cry
2010-04-06, 03:26 PM
So barb 1/Sorceror till reach DD lv 1.
The standard Dragon Deciple now with actual spellcasting.
Warning: may contain dragon wang. Not for use if pregnant.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/dragon-desciple

I am going to be pretty fragile though in close combat until the dragon disciple starts kicking in, though. I agree DD is the best prestige class though.

Starbuck_II
2010-04-06, 03:30 PM
Not exactly, you can have Shield spell protecting you (if 2 handed Barb).
True Strike if you want for extra chance to hit.

Are you limited to Pathfinder spells?

nedz
2010-04-06, 03:34 PM
With the spells Enlarge Person and Prestidigitation you can be the Incredible Hulk :) Disguise Self might be a bit quicker for the colour change though.

Ravens_cry
2010-04-06, 03:39 PM
Not exactly, you can have Shield spell protecting you (if 2 handed Barb).
True Strike if you want for extra chance to hit.

Are you limited to Pathfinder spells?
Almost certainly. Definitely not allowed to use the 3.5 versions of Pathfinder spells.
I was considering half orc (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/half-orc), simply because Intimidate, though sub-optimal in-combat, can be a lot of fun out of it. It's like Diplomacy, but you get to yell at people.
What should my ability scores look like?

Starbuck_II
2010-04-06, 03:46 PM
No, I meant if you are allowed 3.5 splatbooks like Spell Compendruim (they collected spells from a couple 3.5 source books in one big book, although not every spell just alot of them).

Or Complete Mage or PHB 2.

But I'd suggest Focus on Str/Cha/Con for stats.
Example 20 (22) points:
Str 16/18*
Dex 12
Con 14
Int 10
Wis 8
Cha 16/18*

I dump Wis because Sorceror grants good Will saves.
*Then choose racial bonus of 2 for Cha or Str.
You could dump Int as well, but I like to be average smart-wise.

Ravens_cry
2010-04-06, 03:59 PM
I'll have to ask the DM, but in all likelihood, no.

Keld Denar
2010-04-06, 04:16 PM
Barbarian3/Duskblade3/SuelArcanamach1/RageMage10/AbjChamp rest would be kinda interesting. Suel has its own casting and some neat abilities to make up for the fact that you didn't start at level 1 as a caster. Rage Mage allows you to cast while raging, and normally the half casting would REALLY hurt, but with Suel it only mostly hurts. Arguably, Extra Rage would give you extra Spell Rages per day, since its a type of rage. Arcane Channeling from Duskblade allows to to pop off some nasty channeled Suel spells. A little Versatile Spellcaster in there would also allow you to convert your DB spells into Suel Spells, and also get you more higher level spell bang for your buck.

Rixx
2010-04-06, 04:25 PM
Barbarian3/Duskblade3/SuelArcanamach1/RageMage10/AbjChamp rest would be kinda interesting. Suel has its own casting and some neat abilities to make up for the fact that you didn't start at level 1 as a caster. Rage Mage allows you to cast while raging, and normally the half casting would REALLY hurt, but with Suel it only mostly hurts. Arguably, Extra Rage would give you extra Spell Rages per day, since its a type of rage. Arcane Channeling from Duskblade allows to to pop off some nasty channeled Suel spells. A little Versatile Spellcaster in there would also allow you to convert your DB spells into Suel Spells, and also get you more higher level spell bang for your buck.

Wow. That stopped being a plan for a core Pathfinder game very quickly.

Akal Saris
2010-04-07, 12:10 AM
Melee heavy: Human Barbarian 4/Sorcerer 1/Dragon Disciple 10/Fighter 2/Barbarian +3
BAB +16, 12th level casting

Spells-heavy: Human Barbarian 1/Sorcerer 4/Dragon Disciple 10/Eldritch Knight 5
BAB +15, 15th level casting

Not a whole lot of options really.

QuantumSteve
2010-04-07, 12:36 AM
Other than DD, which has already been suggested several times, maybe you could try to convert some kind of Rage Mage/Pathfinder home brew. It would involve lots of DM cooperation, but it would be the only way to advance spell casting and rage simultaneously.

PinkysBrain
2010-04-07, 04:57 AM
The Barbarian caster really never worked well in 3.5 ... a game with good low level swift spells (ie. combat synergistic) a poor dual progression rage/spellcasting progression class (poor, but better than nothing) and long duration rages (lasting even while unconscious) with a feat to get extra rage uses per day.

I agree with QuantumSteve, ask your DM to adapt the Rage Mage. I'd say, full BAB, same spellcasting progression, every rage is a spell rage, full duration progression for rages, replace the +1 spell rage per day with an extra rage power (effective barbarian level is normal + rage mage) and leave everything else as is (maybe move up spell fury a bit).