PDA

View Full Version : Ways of casting Plane Shift from items

Volthawk
2010-04-06, 04:53 PM
Apart from scrolls, what other magic items I can cast Plane Shift from?

It's just for my Artificer, as I had an idea that I could scribe a scroll or two of Genesis, and let all my followers/creations/etc live there. I just want something more reliable than scrolls.

EDIT: Found Amulet of the Planes, but is there a way that doesn't mean I need to make an Intelligence check?

Jack_Simth
2010-04-06, 05:05 PM
Apart from scrolls, what other magic items I can cast Plane Shift from?

It's just for my Artificer, as I had an idea that I could scribe a scroll or two of Genesis, and let all my followers/creations/etc live there. I just want something more reliable than scrolls.

EDIT: Found Amulet of the Planes, but is there a way that doesn't mean I need to make an Intelligence check?
Cubic Gate, Figurine of Wondrous Power: Obsidian Steed. If you can get a Well of Many Worlds pointed there, just leave it in place and it's a permanent portal. All three of these are in the DMG.

Edit:
As you're playing an Artificer, Eberron-specific things seem to be fair game - doesn't it have some portal crafting feats?

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-06, 05:07 PM
Creating Magic Items (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm)

Should come to 81,000gp if my maths is right.

QuantumSteve
2010-04-06, 05:21 PM
Creating Magic Items (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm)

If your Artificer just needs to go between two planes, this should do nicely. At only half the price of a Cubic Gate, being keyed to infinite planes seems beyond the scope of such a custom magic item.

Volthawk
2010-04-06, 05:22 PM

To buy or craft?

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-06, 05:23 PM
To buy or craft?

Buy, but I admit I've missed a cost for it being unlimited/day. Couldn't see it so I gave up, I'm tired. So sue me :smalltongue:

Volthawk
2010-04-06, 05:25 PM
Buy, but I admit I've missed a cost for it being unlimited/day. Couldn't see it so I gave up, I'm tired. So sue me :smalltongue:

Doesn't have to unlimited per day. Just last a while, as I can't see a way to recharge them (MiC says you can't :smallfrown:)

QuantumSteve
2010-04-06, 05:52 PM

81,000 is unlimited. A per day charged item would be divided by (5 divided by charges per day)

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-06, 05:54 PM
81,000 is unlimited. A per day charged item would be divided by (5 divided by charges per day)

So I was right by RAW, but wrong according to other pre-existing items? How come they cost so much more then? Apart from the game writers being a bit thick, which goes without saying :smallamused:

ericgrau
2010-04-06, 05:57 PM
If you want a single use item try candle of invocation for 8,400 gp, though I don't know if that's a 2 way gate. A mirror of mental prowess for 175k works too. A well of many worlds for 82k is an interesting way to do it.

Amulet of the planes is expensive because it brings you to a specific location, unlike plane shift.

EDIT: An obsidian steed is only 28,500 gp and you could have it make multiple trips to carry everyone. It sometimes has issues with good aligned riders though. A custom item would be only 16,200 gp per daily use and could transport "up to 8 willing creatures holding hands".

Volthawk
2010-04-06, 05:57 PM
I'm not sure how many charges to use/day. It's mostly going to be to so I can get followers/constructs/other stuff out of a demiplane created by genesis scrolls.

Jack_Simth
2010-04-06, 06:05 PM
So I was right by RAW, but wrong according to other pre-existing items? How come they cost so much more then? Apart from the game writers being a bit thick, which goes without saying :smallamused:
The item creation guidelines are not hard rules. If you actually read through them, you'll note:
1) One of the tables involved is called "Estimating Magic Item Gold Piece Values" (emphasis added)
2) There's that pesky: "Not all items adhere to these formulas directly. The reasons for this are several. First and foremost, these few formulas aren’t enough to truly gauge the exact differences between items. The price of a magic item may be modified based on its actual worth. The formulas only provide a starting point."

For instance, a widget of continuous Mage Armor, at caster level 1 (appropriately slotted, that's market price 2,000 gp), would be far superior to actual Bracers of Armor+4 (16,000 gp). A Use-activated widget of True Strike (+20 to all attacks, negates miss chances) would also be 2,000 gp (4,000 gp, unslotted).

They're not "rules" so much as they are "guidelines". They're intended for DM use, not player use. People keep treating them as hard-and-fast rules, however.

There's also a great many things that are much, much more useful when they're at-will than they are when they're per-day.

Now, your usage of it - making a widget to mass-transport minions to a safe haven - isn't going to be gamebreaking at all. But the above is the big "why" of things not following the "rules" on their pricing.

Darrin
2010-04-06, 06:16 PM
The Ur'Epona (Planar Handbook) and Ether Scarab (MM2) can be summoned with a summon monster II spell/scroll/etc. Ur'Epona has plane shift 1/day for itself and one rider, and the Ether Scarab has planar rip.

QuantumSteve
2010-04-06, 06:49 PM
The item creation guidelines are not hard rules. If you actually read through them, you'll note:
For instance, a widget of continuous Mage Armor, at caster level 1 (appropriately slotted, that's market price 2,000 gp), would be far superior to actual Bracers of Armor+4 (16,000 gp). A Use-activated widget of True Strike (+20 to all attacks, negates miss chances) would also be 2,000 gp (4,000 gp, unslotted).

This is way off topic, but a widget of use-activated True Strike is way less cool that it sounds. A standard action to get +20 to one attack? Most fighters are better full attacking twice.
Also, IIRC, a Wonderous Item with a first level spell has to be crafted at 3rd level because of the feat requirement. But I don't remember where I read that.

Jack_Simth
2010-04-06, 07:00 PM
This is way off topic, but a widget of use-activated True Strike is way less cool that it sounds. A standard action to get +20 to one attack? Most fighters are better full attacking twice.
Also, IIRC, a Wonderous Item with a first level spell has to be crafted at 3rd level because of the feat requirement. But I don't remember where I read that.
Command-word vs. Use Activated. For an extra 200 gp*spell level * caster level, it's just something you use as part of another action. So your use-activated Gloves of True Strike (you use them to swing a weapon) give you +20 to your attack roll ... for 200 gp over the command-word widget of True Strike, which requires a standard action to activate.

Also:
Counterexamples on the caster level: Brooch of Shielding (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#broochofShielding), Hat of Disguise (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#hatofDisguise), Phylactery of Faithfulness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#phylacteryofFaithfulness), and basically any wand or potion of a 1st level spell (both feats require a caster level higher than 1st).

Show me where the caster level requirement is stated for other than qualifying for the feat itself, please.

ericgrau
2010-04-06, 07:04 PM
Which is why a command word activated item of true strike is not broken but a use activated item is.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-07, 04:18 AM
...They're not "rules" so much as they are "guidelines". They're intended for DM use, not player use. People keep treating them as hard-and-fast rules, however.

There's also a great many things that are much, much more useful when they're at-will than they are when they're per-day.

Now, your usage of it - making a widget to mass-transport minions to a safe haven - isn't going to be gamebreaking at all. But the above is the big "why" of things not following the "rules" on their pricing.

I stand corrected.

TheMadLinguist
2010-04-07, 04:21 AM
Build a stronghold, give it plane shift 2/day.

A scepter (LEoF) of plane shift would likely be too expensive.

I think craft portal allows you to go between planes as well as just teleport

Optimystik
2010-04-07, 06:22 AM
Psionics!

Pay for a Psionic Tattoo of Plane Shift, find a dorje of Plane Shift, or get a Psicrown made with Plane Shift in it. The dorje and psicrown will require UPD, the tattoo won't.