PDA

View Full Version : Next book bonus content?

Rin_Hunter
2010-04-06, 07:49 PM
We only saw what Elan and Haley did with the searching. Do you think the Giant has planned the other four (or at least V's since we know where he is at the moment and he has already done his searching) to be bonus content for the next book?

Not sure if anyone thought of this before.

ref
2010-04-06, 08:47 PM
Hmm... I think it's very possible... Rich has stated several times in commentary that now he has the books more in mind and that given the different tempo it is possible to have strips in the book that had to be cut from online.

Rin_Hunter
2010-04-06, 08:49 PM
Hmm... I think it's very possible... Rich has stated several times in commentary that now he has the books more in mind and that given the different tempo it is possible to have strips in the book that had to be cut from online.

Like Elan's underwater adventure and some of the forest/bandit stuff. Yeah, that was in my thoughts when writing this thread.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-04-06, 08:53 PM
Hmm... I think it's very possible... Rich has stated several times in commentary that now he has the books more in mind

W-wait...He doesn't care about the online strip anymore?

Rin_Hunter
2010-04-06, 08:57 PM

I think he does, but his priority is making sure it will fit into a book (For example, we can clearly see since the start of the next book we are in Round 3) and he decides what is and isn't right for the online strip, but anything he missed he will include in the books.

ref
2010-04-06, 09:13 PM
Exactly. Not that he doesn't care about the strip, but that the fact that it has to go on a book figures into his decisions.

Moogleking
2010-04-07, 06:32 AM
I'm betting on an O'Chul/Lien strip or two.

Nimrod's Son
2010-04-07, 06:54 AM
I'm betting on an O'Chul/Lien strip or two.
He said in the last book that O-Chul might not be in the next book at all, or if he was it wouldn't be much. Since he's already featured in a one-panel joke, I wouldn't be in the least surprised if we don't see him again at all until book #6.

The bonus strips are usually there to flesh out the existing plot. I don't see any more reason to include a bonus strip of O-Chul & Lien than there would be for one of, say, Julia.

SavageWombat
2010-04-07, 02:17 PM

Since the books bring in more money, wouldn't you prioritize them too?

NerfTW
2010-04-07, 02:37 PM
That is not what he said.

He said he sees the story AS A BOOK, as opposed to the first two, which were a tad haphazard. This does NOT mean that he prioritizes the book over the strip.

What it does mean is that the pacing of the strip is done as if you're reading it in a book, as opposed to several days to a week between strips. If this becomes detrimental to the flow of the webcomic, he removes unnecessary strips to keep the plot flowing.

For instance, Elan's underwater adventure would have caused speculation on the Adult Black Dragon weeks before it appeared, lessening the impact of the reveal. So it was left out to make the flow of the webcomic work better.

Neither version is being pushed to the back burner, there are simply times when he leaves out strips to allow for better online reading.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-04-07, 03:07 PM
Ah, okay. Thanks.

Surfing HalfOrc
2010-04-07, 03:33 PM
And you never quite know what he will do with the bonus strips. While I enjoyed the whole "Get Roy" sequence and felt it added a lot, I was left scratching my head on the whole "Elan's Underwater Adventure."

Not that it was bad or not enjoyable, but it had sort of a "Deleted Scene because we didn't know how to fit it in with the rest of the story" vibe. Maybe it was intentional...

Ancalagon
2010-04-07, 03:48 PM
Not that it was bad or not enjoyable, but it had sort of a "Deleted Scene because we didn't know how to fit it in with the rest of the story" vibe. Maybe it was intentional...

On reading it the second time, it made much more sense and didn't stand out anymore. It's a bit different than the rest... but has its place.

The shadow-thing was also quite nice, I wish we had that in the main comic back then.

t3h l3g1t m4g3
2010-04-07, 04:15 PM
It probably will be bonus content, which is too bad for the stingy people like me who won't buy the books. :smallsmile:

ref
2010-04-07, 07:57 PM
I didn't say he was priorizing one over the other, just that the book influences the webcomic strip, allowing Rich to skip some issues if he feels it's better for the website, and add them to the book later.

zql
2010-04-08, 12:03 AM
Curses! Now I want to spend all my salary in the six books and the shipping cost! Bonus content :smallfrown:

U$S 1 = Arg $ 3.87 :smallfrown:

Lissou
2010-04-08, 12:41 AM
I think it's more that he sees how they work differently and keeps both in mind. Now he has had time to see how both work, and some strips, if put online, would make the pacing to slow (and cause many, many people to complain that nothing is happening) or give people enough time to guess something that should be a surprise but isn't surprising anymore as a result.

The bonus strips remain non-necessary strips for the story, you still don't need to buy the books to follow what's going on, but because books work differently, some strips can be added that help it work better as a book, but would have made it work less well as a webcomic. Because they work differently, due to one being read possibly in one go and the other one page at a time.