PDA

View Full Version : Crossbows [4e]

Spooner6
2010-04-06, 09:01 PM
I was looking through the books last night and couldn't find a class that actually would use a crossbow regularly with a power. I can see that a couple classes could (Warlord PH1) that would tote one of them around for the occasional at will long range shot but other than that, nothing. The Ranger, Seeker, and Ranged Warlord would all use a bow. Crossbows, what good are you?

Maybe a cross class into a Ranger power? It just seems that every ranged (non-spellcaster) attacker uses Bows. I do notice that a couple classes are getting thrown weapon specs.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Chris

GenPol
2010-04-06, 09:06 PM
For the Ranger at least, I don't think the powers specify that you need to be using a bow. I thought they just required a range weapon. If I'm wrong, it doesn't seem like a ludicrous decision to house rule it.

With the hand crossbow however, I think the rogue makes heavy use of it.

tcrudisi
2010-04-06, 09:14 PM
The superior crossbow is a very popular archer Ranger weapon. It's very good, being +3 to hit and 1d10 damage.

The hand crossbow is incredibly good for Drow.

The regular crossbow is much like a normal bow is much like a longsword. Sure, you can use it, but if you care about your damage output, you pick up weapon proficiency and get a better weapon (superior crossbow in this case) and use that.

You are right -- not too many classes used ranged weapons, but I do know that the Ranger loves it.

Mando Knight
2010-04-06, 09:42 PM
:smallconfused: Rangers tend to use the flashier Longbow (higher damage, higher reload speed, no feat), or the massive Greatbow (1d12 damage!) due to their already decent to-hit and high rate of fire.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-06, 09:45 PM
I was looking through the books last night and couldn't find a class that actually would use a crossbow regularly with a power. I can see that a couple classes could (Warlord PH1) that would tote one of them around for the occasional at will long range shot but other than that, nothing. The Ranger, Seeker, and Ranged Warlord would all use a bow. Crossbows, what good are you?

Maybe a cross class into a Ranger power? It just seems that every ranged (non-spellcaster) attacker uses Bows. I do notice that a couple classes are getting thrown weapon specs.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
ChrisI'm pretty sure the Rogue has some crossbow powers.

tcrudisi
2010-04-06, 10:16 PM
:smallconfused: Rangers tend to use the flashier Longbow (higher damage, higher reload speed, no feat), or the massive Greatbow (1d12 damage!) due to their already decent to-hit and high rate of fire.

hmm.... I disagree. An average of 1 point of damage (1d10 vs. 1d12) is nothing compared to +1 to hit (+2 vs. +3). That extra +1 to hit can easily be worth 5 points of damage in the epic levels. The Superior Crossbow really trumps the Greatbow, but then spending an extra feat better be worth it. In this case, it usually is.

Also, I've played without the Speed Loader feat before and got by perfectly fine.

DragonBaneDM
2010-04-06, 10:17 PM

The best move overall would be towards the Sup. Crossbow. You have to take rapid reloader but it's basically for a +1 to hit.

On top of that, you're gonna want Snap Shot on any Ranger/Rogue build, which pulls off the best ranged weapon nova rounds in the game.

Excession
2010-04-06, 11:27 PM
Rogues will use a crossbow rather than a bow, because they can't sneak-attack with a bow. Thrown daggers are still a good option because of the +1 to hit, but the Superior Crossbow has d10 damage and range 20/40, making it the ideal sniper's weapon.

Rogue's also don't have class feature that uses their minor action, so may be better able to do without without the Speed Loader feat.