PDA

View Full Version : Gaining improved unarmed strike from an item

Boci
2010-04-06, 09:02 PM
I seem to remember a set of braces that grant the benefit of the improved unarmed strike but I cannot find them anywhere. Does anyone know if they exist and if so which book they are in? Alternativly, anything that allows me to do lethal damage without provoking an AoO whilst unarmed would be acceptable. My build is not geared towards unarmed fighting, I just want to have it for when we are in settlements and drawing your weapon is frowned upon.

Eldariel
2010-04-06, 09:11 PM
Can't you just wear a gauntlet? At any rate, Fanged Ring [Dragon Magic] does it at least.

Darrin
2010-04-06, 11:31 PM
Can't you just wear a gauntlet? At any rate, Fanged Ring [Dragon Magic] does it at least.

Fanged Ring works very well, but is a little expensive (10000 GP).

Ring of Might (Magic of Faerun p. 146) is only 4000 GP.

Bracers of Striking (Magic of Faerun p. 155) are even cheaper, 1310 GP, and can be improved with weapon enhancements.

Boci
2010-04-07, 09:40 AM

Bracers of Striking (Magic of Faerun p. 155) are even cheaper, 1310 GP, and can be improved with weapon enhancements.

Thanks, braces of striking were the ones I was loking for. I might upgrade to ring of might latter though. Fang ring looks interesting, but would be wasted on a character whose main weapon is their shortsword.

Irreverent Fool
2010-04-07, 10:03 AM

This.

Improved Unarmed Strike: 1d3 damage
Spiked Gauntlet: 1d4 damage

Why do you want the feat?

obnoxious
sig

DeltaEmil
2010-04-07, 10:10 AM
Because you might be attacked when you're unarmed... Unless your characters always go to bed with a spiked gauntlet, or when they need to go to the toilet, or want to eat some soup... :p

Of course, it is also a prerequisite for other feats. Spiked gauntlets do not give the feat 'Improved Unarmed Strike' per se.

Sinfire Titan
2010-04-07, 10:20 AM

9 pages to make an item obsolete. I think that qualifies as a record for 3.5 (4E does it in under 2).

It seriously irks me when this happens.

Boci
2010-04-07, 10:57 AM
This.

Improved Unarmed Strike: 1d3 damage
Spiked Gauntlet: 1d4 damage

Why do you want the feat?

obnoxious
sig

So you wouldn't provoke an AoO when you attack with spiked gauntlets? (I don't have my player's handbook with me and my DM doesn't like using SRD for issues like this.)

The Glyphstone
2010-04-07, 11:01 AM
Because you might be attacked when you're unarmed... Unless your characters always go to bed with a spiked gauntlet, or when they need to go to the toilet, or want to eat some soup... :p

Of course, it is also a prerequisite for other feats. Spiked gauntlets do not give the feat 'Improved Unarmed Strike' per se.

Why does this strike me as an idea guaranteed to go horribly, horribly wrong...

jokey665
2010-04-07, 11:01 AM
So you wouldn't provoke an AoO when you attack with spiked gauntlets? (I don't have my player's handbook with me and my DM doesn't like using SRD for issues like this.)

Gauntlet, Spiked: Your opponent cannot use a disarm action to disarm you of spiked gauntlets. The cost and weight given are for a single gauntlet. An attack with a spiked gauntlet is considered an armed attack.

Emphasis mine.