PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Renaissance Games

Forever Curious
2010-04-06, 09:56 PM
I just uncovered tragic information that Renaissance Games in Fallston, MD has closed. I am personally wrought with grief, because it was one of the few places I know of to purchase Magic: the Gathering cards and make merry with my fellow geeks....

Let us mourn its passing.

Rauthiss
2010-04-06, 10:06 PM
</mourn>

In all seriousness, I'm with you there. It's always a shame to see the local game store close up shop. :/

Yay driving for hours for every prerelease from now on.

rakkoon
2010-04-07, 12:36 AM
We've never had a store that stayed open for more than 5 years. I know at least 5 that had to close. One guy is still in business but changed name and location 3 times already so he doesn't count.

Starscream
2010-04-07, 12:40 AM
I feel your pain. My favorite comic book/gaming shop closed to make way for a new development area. There's a shoe store there now. I don't want new shoes nearly as often as I want new comics.:smallannoyed:

arguskos
2010-04-07, 01:54 AM
Dude, I'm so happy that the local shop, the Guardtower, is still there. Been there for as long as I can recall (at LEAST 12 years now, since I gamed there when I was 9, and I'm currently 21). Sadly, they're almost exclusively a wargaming shop now, but still, it's an FLGS.

Temotei
2010-04-07, 01:56 AM
Guardtower

My goodness.

I live in the wrong place.

arguskos
2010-04-07, 02:04 AM
Dude, the Guardtower is awesomesauce in a store, or well, it was. It's less awesome now, since they don't really do RPG gaming or card gaming much anymore, though that's more cause the scene for cards in the area is weak, and most folks RPG at houses or whatnot. But, they wargame every day of the week, and there's a fairly healthy boardgame scene there too. It's pretty tech.

Innis Cabal
2010-04-07, 02:08 AM
Dude, the Guardtower is awesomesauce in a store, or well, it was. It's less awesome now, since they don't really do RPG gaming or card gaming much anymore, though that's more cause the scene for cards in the area is weak, and most folks RPG at houses or whatnot. But, they wargame every day of the week, and there's a fairly healthy boardgame scene there too. It's pretty tech.

Your from Colombus? There's no shocked face...so I'll just say holy crap, there's more of us then I thought.

And yes, the Guardtower is quite awesome

Temotei
2010-04-07, 02:10 AM
Your from Colombus? There's no shocked face...so I'll just say holy crap, there's more of us then I thought.

:smalleek: doesn't do it for you? :smallamused:

arguskos
2010-04-07, 02:13 AM

...waitwaitwait, you are too? I only knew Starscream was, though he's in Florida currently, IIRC. Dude, I had NO IDEA you're in C-Bus. I'm over in Upper Arlington, just down the street from OSU. Yourself?

Innis Cabal
2010-04-07, 02:21 AM
...waitwaitwait, you are too? I only knew Starscream was, though he's in Florida currently, IIRC. Dude, I had NO IDEA you're in C-Bus. I'm over in Upper Arlington, just down the street from OSU. Yourself?

I don't live there, but I find myself in the C-Bus at least two to three times a week. I live in Akron, the comute is killer on gas bills but I love the city and all of my friends live down there. When I am in C-Bus...generally closer to down town. I have a buddy that works out of the Upper Arlington post office, or there abouts. Forget what actual office it is tbh with you.

arguskos
2010-04-07, 02:23 AM
I don't live there, but I find myself in the C-Bus at least two to three times a week. I live in Akron, the comute is killer on gas bills but I love the city and all of my friends live down there. When I am in C-Bus...generally closer to down town. I have a buddy that works out of the Upper Arlington post office, or there abouts. Forget what actual office it is tbh with you.
The UA post office is off of Ohio State Route 33, also called Riverside Road, alongside the Sciota River. He probably works at that one, but that's just a ballpark.

Also, yeah, the Akron commute is pretty rough, but Akron's a pretty neat place. Well, at least, it was last time I was out there (been a few years honestly). Good to know there's someone in the area though!

Innis Cabal
2010-04-07, 02:25 AM
I'm pretty sure there are a few more actually. I know there are two or three from Cleveland, thats more my neck of the woods, I know there's one Mansfiled...but I can't for the life of me remember their names here.

Serpentine
2010-04-07, 02:32 AM
A new place, called Sleeping Dragon, has just opened here :smallcool: It even has the oots game! And manga, and D&D, and Pathfinder, and Cthulu, and plush Cthulu, and the Cthulu game, and Alien figurines, and manga, and anime, and dice, and funky t-shirts, and game cards, and minis, and...

Forever Curious
2010-04-07, 02:34 AM
A new place, called Sleeping Dragon, has just opened here :smallcool: It even has the oots game! And manga, and D&D, and Pathfinder, and Cthulu, and plush Cthulu, and the Cthulu game, and Alien figurines, and manga, and anime, and dice, and funky t-shirts, and game cards, and minis, and...

...well I feel much better. :smallsigh: Ren Games had that all too...sigh.

I hear there's another store in my general area. I'll explore tomorrow, time permitting...

arguskos
2010-04-07, 02:36 AM
I'm pretty sure there are a few more actually. I know there are two or three from Cleveland, thats more my neck of the woods, I know there's one Mansfiled...but I can't for the life of me remember their names here.
There's another one in Columbus, but it's pretty crappy. The Soldiery is run by a dude who doesn't actually play ANYTHING, and is in it for cashy money, not cause he likes gaming, which turns me off pretty heavily.

Innis Cabal
2010-04-07, 02:37 AM
There's another one in Columbus, but it's pretty crappy. The Soldiery is run by a dude who doesn't actually play ANYTHING, and is in it for cashy money, not cause he likes gaming, which turns me off pretty heavily.

We have Kenmore Comics and Jac Games up here, Never been to Jac but Kenmore is run on the same principle. I've only been there once or twice. Honestly, the Guard Tower is/was the best place to go for general nerd-dom in Central or North East Ohio.

arguskos
2010-04-07, 02:38 AM
Still is, still is, even if card/RPG gaming is pretty low these days. The dudes there actually play games, and are pretty sweet. :smallcool:

V for Victory
2010-04-07, 05:31 AM
I just uncovered tragic information that Renaissance Games in Fallston, MD has closed. I am personally wrought with grief, because it was one of the few places I know of to purchase Magic: the Gathering cards and make merry with my fellow geeks....

Let us mourn its passing.

Dude, just go to Washington Street Books in Haver de Grace.That's where I go. If your not sure which one it is its the one with storm troopers and spiderman in the window.

Bhu
2010-04-07, 06:01 PM
Dude, I'm so happy that the local shop, the Guardtower, is still there. Been there for as long as I can recall (at LEAST 12 years now, since I gamed there when I was 9, and I'm currently 21). Sadly, they're almost exclusively a wargaming shop now, but still, it's an FLGS.

WOOO Guard Tower!

Theres also the Bookery Fantasy if you head towards the south in Ohio

RandomNPC
2010-04-14, 07:37 PM
Wow, thats a lot of ohio folks. I usually feel so alone on the net, I assume everyone is half a world away, seeing as some people admit to being from Austrailia.

I've only got Ground Zero Comics in strongsville, but he carries cards, RPG books, and he's always got a good videogame going on the high-def flatscreen above his oldschool arcade setup. He even keeps a home made (not pre-boxed set) Lego X-wing in the display counter. Also, every christmas he plays the Weird Al song "Christmas at Ground Zero"

CMOTDibbler
2010-04-14, 09:24 PM
I have several stores around, the closest being AniMagination. They've moved several times, but thankfully never closed. Then there's Ogres Games, a little farther away. It's worth the trip, though, because the owner, Ogre, is a good friend.

arguskos
2010-04-14, 09:32 PM
I have several stores around, the closest being AniMagination. They've moved several times, but thankfully never closed. Then there's Ogres Games, a little farther away. It's worth the trip, though, because the owner, Ogre, is a good friend.
...are you in St. Louis? The only Ogre's Games I know is in St. Louis (visited a friend there, hit up the shop, bought some Norin the Wary's for my collection).

ForzaFiori
2010-04-14, 09:39 PM
Planet Comics is in Anderson, about 25 to 30 minutes from me. They sell all kinds of stuff, and have weekly magic and wargame tournys.. There used to be a place in Clemson called the Newsstand, sold comics, cards, and minis (no RPG stuff that I ever saw though). They even gave out comics on Halloween. They shut down a long time ago though.

Flickerdart
2010-04-14, 10:33 PM
This one place that did MTG tournaments and sold the cards closed down a long while ago, leaving me 1 event away from redeeming them for token cards from DCI. All that's left is more general hobby shops that charge more and don't host anything. Part of the reason I stopped playing.