PDA

View Full Version : Magic Items and Cost

bartman
2010-04-06, 11:07 PM
I was wondering about magic items that allow you to cast a spell that has a material or XP cost. The item in question is the Candle of Invocation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#candleofInvocation). Would I have to pay the 1000 XP cost to summon a creature, or is that included in the cost of the candle, with the creator paying it during creation? I have not yet run this by my DM yet, but I can see him houseruling that I have to pay it (He houseruled my Warlock to use a standard attack for Vitriolic Blast as opposed to a touch attack:annoyed:) What would you say, as a DM, if a player brought this up in one of your games and wanted to summon a 34HD monster to help for 17 rounds.

Dr Bwaa
2010-04-06, 11:13 PM
You do not have to pay the XP when you use it.

Douglas
2010-04-06, 11:16 PM
Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any and all XP costs related to magic items are paid by the item's creator when he makes it. The fact that the Candle of Invocation's price does not reflect this is one of the reasons this item is one of the most brokenly overpowered magic items in the game. The Gate spell itself is the other.

If I were a DM and one of my players asked about this, my reply would either be that the item (or just that function of it, the other use of the Candle isn't so bad) is banned entirely or that I am adjusting its price a LOT.

bartman
2010-04-07, 09:47 AM
If I were a DM and one of my players asked about this, my reply would either be that the item (or just that function of it, the other use of the Candle isn't so bad) is banned entirely or that I am adjusting its price a LOT.

OK, thats what I figured, just wanted to get some input from other DMs before I approach MY DM with this

Thank You