PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 with 4e races

Geiger Counter
2010-04-06, 11:11 PM
I already consolidated many skills in 3.5 to be more like 4e.
I really like how races are handeled in 4e, though I hate how classes are.
Is there anything I would have to do to make 4e races playable in 3.5?

Kylarra
2010-04-06, 11:17 PM
You could use pathfinder races I guess. Those have 2 +2s and one -2 to throw around, excepting humans with their floating +2.

tcrudisi
2010-04-06, 11:22 PM
I already consolidated many skills in 3.5 to be more like 4e.
I really like how races are handeled in 4e, though I hate how classes are.
Is there anything I would have to do to make 4e races playable in 3.5?

Well, obviously the racial powers don't fit very well, but I think everything else is fine. Really, you should be able to just export all the races minus the racial powers, without it breaking the game.

Mando Knight
2010-04-06, 11:23 PM
Grab them wholesale, except for the Human, who could get an extra level 1 power/spell/maneuver/whatever known.

This is, of course, if you don't mind having races at a strength given only to LA races in 3.5.

valadil
2010-04-06, 11:24 PM
If you wholesale replaced 3.5 races with 4e ones I could see things working. I wouldn't mix them though. Races get more ability score bonuses in 4th and would probably be EL +1 or +2.

Racial powers would be a problem. I don't know how you'd deal with them. You might be able to get away with leaving them as they are and seeing how things go. Daily and at-will abilities still make sense in 3.5. Encounter powers don't though. Maybe you could convert them to abilities that recharge in 2d4 rounds?

You can probably backport in the bloodied condition without too much trouble, but I don't know how you'll deal with races that affect healing surges. Dragonborn for example get a bonus to their surges. Maybe give them a bonus whenever they get healed? Like, +1 per die healed?

Dwarves have an improved second wind. You might have to strip them of that. Dwarves are powerful enough anyway.

I don't know if any races do anything to action points, but that's something else that will need consideration.

Tiki Snakes
2010-04-06, 11:31 PM
Just to say, recharging in 2d4 rounds is much too quick to model encounter powers. Call it 5 minutes, no more, no less. Or simply hand wave it, as it's pretty obvious what an encounter is, and you get them back after a 5 minute breather. :smallsmile:

Eldariel
2010-04-06, 11:37 PM
Just to say, recharging in 2d4 rounds is much too quick to model encounter powers. Call it 5 minutes, no more, no less. Or simply hand wave it, as it's pretty obvious what an encounter is, and you get them back after a 5 minute breather. :smallsmile:

5 mins is how 3.5 normally does it so that seems as reasonable as any. I personally go for 1 min with encounter powers and find it about appropriate; few encounters are more than 1 min long and those that are...well, it's fine that you can use encounter-abilities twice.