PDA

View Full Version : Vlogging the Appalachian Trail

Izmir Stinger
2010-04-07, 12:44 AM
Most of my DnD friends moved away and I lost interest in this site (but not the comic) as a result, but some of you might be interested in what I am doing this summer, and I remember my password:

I am going to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail, starting April 10th. As if that weren't crazy enough, I am also going to Vlog it and send updates via Facebook and Twitter using solar powered electronics. It is incredibly ambitious and can't possibly work, so make sure you subscribe to all my feeds to watch my epic fail.

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=MADhatterIZZY)
Become a fan on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mad-Hatter-Izzy/259266314314)
Follow me on Twitter (http://twitter.com/MADhatterIZZY)

Izmir Stinger
2010-04-08, 12:59 PM
Of the 8 forums I posted this message to, this is the only one without any replies. The other DnD forum I posted this to has only one reply and that was simply, "Waste of a good hike."

Guess the Appalachian Trail doesn't interest RPGers in general.

arguskos
2010-04-08, 01:13 PM
It's probably more that threads get buried rapidly on this forum. I know I'd be interested to see your vlog once completed.

Tirian
2010-04-08, 01:31 PM
Good luck. The AT is a real challenge, and from what I've heard about it you're going to tangibly feel the space and weight of whatever video capture tech you bring along with you. But if that's your dream, then you're right to follow it.

smellie_hippie
2010-04-08, 02:41 PM
That sounds awesome! I hope things go well for you. I can't imagine how much extra weight the electronic gear would be for an AT hike.

Do you plan on videoing the actual hiking? Are you going to do a Survival Man kinda thing and just post a recap of the day's hike at the various shelters?

Keep us posted!

Tirian
2010-04-08, 03:43 PM
I had a friend who tried it eight or ten years ago, and according to her journalling it really is a game of ounces when you're carrying a full pack for two thousand miles through fairly rugged mountainous terrain. Even if you're a very fit and active hiker and outdoorsperson, you apparently really get a quick education on how much of your gear you don't want to be hauling.

Danne
2010-04-08, 04:23 PM
Oof, I can't imagine needing to carry video tech with me when backpacking. Especially the AT. I've never been, but I've done a little backpacking elsewhere, and it all comes down to how much weight you're carrying. As in, people generally cut their toothbrushes in half just so that they don't have to carry the extra .00x lbs.

Still, should be a very interesting experience. Good luck! :smallsmile:

Izmir Stinger
2010-04-08, 11:15 PM
Oh cool, some responses.

Are you going to do a Survival Man kinda thing and just post a recap of the day's hike at the various shelters?

If you are revering to the Discovery channel show, Survivor man, yes, I am ripping off imitating his filming methods.

Keep us posted!

In this thread? In your dreams! Follow me on one or more of those site in the OP, or learn nothing. This is my last post here. Sorry, I can't surf forums on the AT.

smellie_hippie
2010-04-09, 05:57 AM
In this thread? In your dreams! Follow me on one or more of those site in the OP, or learn nothing. This is my last post here. Sorry, I can't surf forums on the AT.

Understood.:smallbiggrin:
I'll try and follow your links from the OP... but when you get finished, I'd still love to see the finished products, as apparently would some others.

OverdrivePrime
2010-04-09, 06:22 AM
Dude, that's pretty cool. I'm jealous of your solar electrics, but moreso of your opportunity to through-hike the AT. The most I can hope for until I'm an old man is to hike Wisconsin's Ice-Age trail in pieces.

Please do post links - I'll be very interested!

KilltheToy
2010-04-09, 06:56 AM
" Appalachian Trail" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Sanford_disappearance_and_extramarital_affair #Disappearance), eh?

I jest, naturally :smalltongue:. Good luck on your hike!