PDA

View Full Version : Lycanthrope Template or Race [3.5 PEACH]

Kaishi
2010-04-07, 04:20 AM
Hello, I'm working on a lycanthrope for a campaign setting being created by the players essentially. I didn't like the WotC template, so I created my own. I'll spare you the details of how this template fits into the setting.

My main concern is balancing this thing to LA +1 at most. I'm thinking about making it a race (essentially just humans with animalistic qualities that have the traits of this template).

Lycanthrope Template

Application:
This template can be applied to any Humanoid or Giant (called the base creature).
When applying this template, choose an Animal (called the base animal) that is relevant to how the base creature attained this trait.
Both the base creature and the base animal must be within one size category of one another.

Stats:
+2 Wis (the base creature’s senses and instincts are honed by the animal’s abilities)
-2 Int (the creature’s closeness to his animal narrows his capacity to learn)
+[(a-10)/2] Str
+ [(a-10/2] Dex
+ [(a-10/2] Con
(a = corresponding ability score of base animal)

Special Effects:

The base creature gains all of the following:
the (shapechanger) subtype
sensory abilities of the base animal (scent, vision, sense, etc.)
feats of the base animal (but may only use them if they qualify for them)

Transform (Ex): The base creature may, as a move action, assume the form of its base animal or a hybrid form of that animal.
If it chooses to transform into its full animal form, then its physical ability bonuses gained from this template change to [+(a-10)]. It also gains extraordinary abilities, size, special qualities, natural weapons, movement speeds, racial bonuses, and natural armor of the base animal. All items carried by the base creature are dropped when it transforms.

If the base creature chooses to transform into hybrid form, then it does not gain a size bonus and the ability score changes of the base animal. In addition, all non-land movement speeds of the base animal are halved. It loses none of its held items, though.

Berserk (Ex): Whenever the base creature uses its Transform ability, it must succeed on a Will save (DC 15) or succumb to feral instincts. Its alignment becomes chaotic evil, and it must attack the closest target. Upon failing this save, the creature always assumes full animal form. This effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to the amount the base creature’s Will save failed.

If the base creature experiences the effects of Berserk, then it permanently shows slightly more defined qualities of the base animal. This effect is simply a cosmetic change. No penalties are incurred; however, this change may attract attention of others if they are not familiar with lycanthropes.

Lycanthrope Race

+2 Wis, -2 Int, +[(a-10)/2] Str, +[(a-10)/2] Dex, +[(a-10)/2] Con
Medium Humanoid (human)(shapechanger)
Base Land Speed: 30 ft.

The lycanthrope possesses all special qualities and all feats of its animal form. It doesn’t need to qualify for those feats, but it may not use any feats it does not qualify to gain.

Transform (Ex): The lycanthrope may, as a move action, assume the form of its animal or a hybrid form of that animal.
If it chooses to transform into full animal form, then its racial physical ability bonuses change to [+(a-10)]. It also gains extraordinary abilities, size, special qualities, natural weapons, movement speeds, racial bonuses, and natural armor of its animal. However, it loses the ability to hold items and drops all carried items upon transformation.

If the lycanthrope chooses to transform into hybrid form, then it does not gain a size bonus and the ability score changes of the animal. In addition, all non-land movement speeds gained by Transform are halved. However, it does not lose the ability to hold items and equipment.

Berserk (Ex): Whenever the lycanthrope uses its Transform ability, it must succeed on a Will save (DC 15) or succumb to its feral instincts. Its alignment becomes chaotic evil, and it must attack the closest target. If there are no perceived targets (most living creatures), then it hunts for prey in the area. Upon failing this save, the lycanthrope always assumes full animal form. This effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to 15 minus the result of the Will save.

If the lycanthrope experiences the effects of Berserk, then it permanently shows slightly more defined qualities of its animal. This effect is simply a cosmetic change. No penalties are incurred; however, this change may attract attention of others if they are not familiar with lycanthropes.

I'm not sure how to balance this well. I could up the [(a-10)/2] to (a-15) and have the animal form gain (a-10).

As a tiger lycanthrope, there would be the following difference:

Tiger: 23 str, 15 dex, 17 con

+ [(23-10)/2] = 6 Str
+ [(15-10)/2] = 2 Dex
+ [(17-10)/2] = 3 Con

Or

+ (23-15) = 8 Str
+ (15-15) = 0 Dex
+ (17-15) = 2 Con

In fact, I could just remove the Wis bonus completely and apply a -2 Cha as well. I rather don't like the (a-15) idea, though, because it ends up incurring massive penalties for animals that some low physical stats. Maybe that's a good thing, but I'm not so sure.

As another fun idea, I could add a scaling mechanism to this.

Scaling
The lycanthrope gains +2 Wis and -2 Int.
At level 5, the lycanthrope also gains +[(a-10)/4] Str, Dex, and Con.
At level 10, this changes to +[(a-10)/3] Str, Dex, and Con.
At level 15, this changes to +[(a-10)/2] Str, Dex, and Con.

Of course, the Transform ability would scale accordingly.
+[(a-10)/4] at first
At level 5, +[(a-10)/3]
At level 10, +[(a-10)/2]
At level 15, +(a-10)

This seems to work strangely with negative bonuses, seeing as how dividing a negative bonus would actually help the player and would get worse eventually. I could add a minimum, I suppose.

Thoughts?

Kaishi
2010-04-07, 05:37 AM
Well, I'm definitely liking the race idea. I'm just reviewing while I wait for some feedback. I changed both of them. I'm making a second post because I'd like some feedback on how it's improving or worsening.

(as a reminder, a is equal to the corresponding ability score of the animal)

Juudai Lycanthrope

+2 Wis, -2 Int
Medium Humanoid (human, shapechanger)
Base Land Speed: 30 ft.

The lycanthrope possesses all special qualities and all feats of its animal form. It doesn’t need to qualify for those feats, but it may not use any feats it does not qualify to gain. In addition, if the character does not qualify for these feats, it may not use these feats to qualify for anything with them as prerequisites.

Transform (Ex): The lycanthrope may, as a swift action, assume the form of its animal or a hybrid form of that animal. This ability may be used [Wis modifier] times per day, and each use lasts for [level + Con modifier] minutes.

Changing into full animal form causes the lycanthrope to gain its animal’s extraordinary abilities, size, natural weapons, movement speeds, racial bonuses, and natural armor. In addition, it gains +(a-10) Str, Dex, and Con. When the lycanthrope assumes this form, all items carried either blend into its body or fall into its space (at the discretion of the character). In this form, the lycanthrope cannot cast spells nor speak except its animal’s language (meaning it can only talk to other members of that animal group).

Changing into hybrid animal causes the lycanthrope to gain the same bonuses as full animal form except for size and natural armor. In addition, all non-land movement speeds of the animal are halved. The lycanthrope also does not gain the full animal form’s ability bonuses. Instead, it gains +[(a-10)/2] Str, Dex, and Con. However, transforming into hybrid animal form does not cause the character to lose the use of items. It may still use weapons normally, etc.

Berserk (Ex): Whenever the lycanthrope uses its Transform ability, it must succeed on a Will save (DC 15) or succumb to its feral instincts. Its alignment becomes chaotic evil, and it must attack the closest target. If there are no perceived targets (most living creatures), then it hunts for targets. Upon failing this save, the lycanthrope always assumes full animal form. This effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to 15 minus the result of the Will save.

If the lycanthrope experiences the effects of Berserk, then it permanently shows slightly more defined qualities of its animal. This effect is simply a cosmetic change. No penalties are incurred; however, this change may attract attention of others if they are not familiar with lycanthropes.

Juudai Lycanthrope Template

Application: This template can be applied to any Humanoid or Giant (called the base creature).
When applying this template, choose an Animal (called the base animal) that is relevant to how the base creature attained this trait. Both the base creature and the base animal must be within one size category of one another.

Abilities: +2 Wis, -2 Int

Special Effects:
The base creature gains the (shapechanger) subtype.
It also gains the special qualities and feats of the base animal. These feats may not be used if the base creature does not qualify for them. In addition, if the base creature does not qualify for them, then it cannot use those feats as prerequisites to qualify for other feats.

Transform (Ex): The base creature may, as a swift action, assume the form of the base animal or a hybrid form of the base animal. This ability may be used [Wis modifier] times per day, and each use lasts for [3 + Con modifier] rounds.

Changing into full animal form causes the base creature to gain its base animal’s extraordinary abilities, size, natural weapons, movement speeds, racial bonuses, and natural armor. In addition, it gains +(a-10) Str, Dex, and Con. When the base creature assumes this form, all items carried either blend into its body or fall into its space (at the discretion of the character). In this form, the base creature cannot cast spells nor speak except its base animal’s language (meaning it can only talk to other members of that animal group).

Changing into hybrid animal causes the base creature to gain the same bonuses as full animal form except for size and natural armor. In addition, all non-land movement speeds of the base animal are halved. The base creature also does not gain the full animal form’s ability bonuses. Instead, it gains +[(a-10)/2] Str, Dex, and Con. However, transforming into hybrid animal form does not cause the base creature to lose the use of items. It may still use weapons normally, etc.

Berserk (Ex): Whenever the base creature uses its Transform ability, it must succeed on a Will save (DC 15) or succumb to its feral instincts. Its alignment becomes chaotic evil, and it must attack the closest target. If there are no perceived targets (most living creatures), then it hunts for targets. Upon failing this save, the base creature always assumes full animal form. This effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to 15 minus the result of the Will save.

If the base creature experiences the effects of Berserk, then it permanently shows slightly more defined qualities of its animal. This effect is simply a cosmetic change. No penalties are incurred; however, this change may attract attention of others if they are not familiar with lycanthropes.

The main difference between the two is the length of the transformation.
I pretty much changed most of the ability score generation. I also added a few stipulations for the forms, namely the inability to speak and cast in full animal form.

Kuzimu
2010-04-07, 07:15 AM
First off, I would like to say that I really like what you're doing. Other than the shifter, WotC has not really given us a way to play anything approximating a lycanthrope.

You should, if you are willing to do the work, compile a list of LAs for different lycanthrope animals. You need to do it on a case-by-case basis, I think, because even among animals there are a wide range of special abilities. For instance, scent is a surprisingly powerful ability, and a lot of animals get it.

For instance, a were baleen whale gets blindsight. That alone is worth a separate LA.

I think it's okay for different lycanthropes to have different LAs, or to have scaling like you thought at first.

Kuzimu
2010-04-07, 07:17 AM
edit: I didn't see your second update. This seems to be less of a problem now.