PDA

View Full Version : How can I get my iPhone to show normal web pages?

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-07, 06:22 AM
Basically, I recently caved and bought an iphone 3gs. And frankly mobile versions of web pages annoy the hell out of me. I don't use it that often, but Facebook is the worst offender, it shows barely anything.

Is there any way to make it show the normal site instead of the mobile version? I've tried amendding the URL address, but it just redirects back to the mobile version.

Thanks in advance,

K-B

Jinura
2010-04-07, 06:51 AM
There's an application for facebook that works better than using the regular internet.

Ashen Lilies
2010-04-07, 06:54 AM
On most mobile web pages there should be a link somewhere on the page that will bring you to the normal page.

valadil
2010-04-07, 09:31 AM
I don't condone this and will not provide instructions, but jailbreaking your iPhone allows your to set your browser's user agent. The user agent is what tells websites you're on "safari-iphone" as opposed to "safari". Use at your own risk.

As a less risky option, Opera has been written for the iPhone and submitted to the app store. I don't know when or if it'll be approved, but it will likely also have user agent setting options.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-07, 11:30 AM
On most mobile web pages there should be a link somewhere on the page that will bring you to the normal page.

On some, but not all unfortunately.

There's an application for facebook that works better than using the regular internet.

Thank ye.

I don't condone this and will not provide instructions, but jailbreaking your iPhone allows your to set your browser's user agent. The user agent is what tells websites you're on "safari-iphone" as opposed to "safari". Use at your own risk.

As a less risky option, Opera has been written for the iPhone and submitted to the app store. I don't know when or if it'll be approved, but it will likely also have user agent setting options.

I spent more on this phone than I do on a month's rent, I will not be risking a jailbreak :smalltongue:

I'll look into this other one though. Thanks.

Jack Squat
2010-04-07, 11:55 AM

Any particular reason you don't condone jailbreaking? I mean, there's the potential to turn the iPhone into a brick - but so long as you backup everything on the phone (including OS) beforehand, I don't see it being a huge issue. Plenty of people have successfully done it following online instructions, so I'd call doing so relatively safe.

So far as using Opera, I don't know if anyone knows when (and if) Apple will approve of it. If you're committed to going this route though (and if it's approved, Opera is a better browser on the iPhone anyways, if the reviews I saw were right), keep up on the news as to it's progress. Opera has a countup (http://my.opera.com/community/countup/) that's tracking how long it's taking to go through the process, and has a little status location at the bottom of the page.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-04-07, 12:00 PM
I spent more on this phone than I do on a month's rent, I will not be risking a jailbreak :smalltongue:
Or you could have bought an already jailbroken phone for something like 1/2 the price mobile providers charge you...

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-07, 12:09 PM
Or you could have bought an already jailbroken phone for something like 1/2 the price mobile providers charge you...

Perhaps. But for all it's expense and limits I wanted a brand new one, just because...:smallredface:

Yes I a freak, and also now a hypocrite for complaining about the web pages, but that's the reason why.

valadil
2010-04-07, 12:46 PM
Any particular reason you don't condone jailbreaking? I mean, there's the potential to turn the iPhone into a brick - but so long as you backup everything on the phone (including OS) beforehand, I don't see it being a huge issue. Plenty of people have successfully done it following online instructions, so I'd call doing so relatively safe.

Condone was the wrong word. I think I meant support. I don't want anyone to think I'm responsible if they brick their phone. I have enough people expecting free tech support without convincing random forumites to hack their phones.