PDA

View Full Version : Effectiveness of Heartfreeze from Frostburn <3.5>

LichPrinceAlim
2010-04-07, 11:49 AM
My DM modified the Soul of the North feat so I instead of Resistance gain the Heartfreeze spell, which does the following

The target becomes exhausted.
Target dies in 1d4 rounds.

is this a good spell, or did my DM give me a wasted SLA?

Tinydwarfman
2010-04-07, 11:52 AM
What level is this? What is the save? If no save, it's crazy good. But I doubt that.

The Glyphstone
2010-04-07, 11:53 AM
Your DM took away a 1/day Cantrip that gives +1 to a save, and gave you a 1/day 6th level Save-or-Die that still deals 5d8 damage on a successful save. Can I havea share of whatever he's smoking?:smallcool:

druid91
2010-04-07, 11:54 AM
The only thing I remember about frostburn was Flashfrost spell. and thats because I had a druid who would use flashfrost blizzard to kill a city.

Tinydwarfman
2010-04-07, 11:56 AM
Who needs flashfrost when you have control winds?

LichPrinceAlim
2010-04-07, 11:56 AM
Your DM took away a 1/day Cantrip that gives +1 to a save, and gave you a 1/day 6th level Save-or-Die that still deals 5d8 damage on a successful save. Can I havea share of whatever he's smoking?:smallcool:

He's Straight-Edge, so sorry! No drugs used. He thought a +1 to a save was useless, considering I'm a Dragon Disciple

LichPrinceAlim
2010-04-07, 11:58 AM

My DM said I cant have that spell because my last character was a blatant pervert...

A necropolitan death master with control winds... PERV!!!

druid91
2010-04-07, 11:58 AM

what does control winds do?

Tinydwarfman
2010-04-07, 12:02 PM
He's Straight-Edge, so sorry! No drugs used. He thought a +1 to a save was useless, considering I'm a Dragon Disciple

Dragon Disciples don't use saves? :smallconfused: But seriously, I looked it up now, and it is a very good trade.

Eloel
2010-04-07, 12:03 PM

Take a wild guess. Yes, it involves 'control' and 'winds'.

Starbuck_II
2010-04-07, 12:04 PM

Depending caster lv, creates serverity of wind effects (Light breeze, strong gust, Tornado, etc).

Tinydwarfman
2010-04-07, 12:07 PM

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/controlwinds.htm

It can make winds more powerful. In this case, a level 12 caster can turn strong winds into a tornado, or a hurricane at level 9.

Hurricane force winds (75+ mph) destroy wooden buildings, sometimes uproot even large trees, and cause most ships to founder.

A tornado (175+ mph) destroys all nonfortified buildings and often uproots large trees.

Will pretty effectively destroy most towns or cities.

druid91
2010-04-07, 12:07 PM
I thought so,:smalltongue: I thought maybe he was talking about something different because who needs that when you can make it so cold it deals 2 cold damage a round while outside(no save) and drop an upwards mile of snow on them. follow up with a fimbulwinter and your enemies are snowed in for 1d4x12 weeks.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/controlwinds.htm

It can make winds more powerful. In this case, a level 12 caster can turn strong winds into a tornado, or a hurricane at level 9.

Will pretty effectively destroy most towns or cities.

why do you want to destroy the city?:smallconfused: the point is to kill everyone in the city but leave the city, and its loot alright.

Starbuck_II
2010-04-07, 12:15 PM
I thought so,:smalltongue: I thought maybe he was talking about something different because who needs that when you can make it so cold it deals 2 cold damage a round while outside(no save) and drop an upwards mile of snow on them. follow up with a fimbulwinter and your enemies are snowed in for 1d4x12 weeks.

why do you want to destroy the city?:smallconfused: the point is to kill everyone in the city but leave the city, and its loot alright.

Maybe they have VoP so don't care about the money...

Tinydwarfman
2010-04-07, 12:17 PM

You're comparing Control Winds to an 8th level spell? :smallamused: Seriously?

EDIT: Wait, I can't find any spell called Flashfreeze, are you sure that's its name?

druid91
2010-04-07, 12:29 PM
You're comparing Control Winds to an 8th level spell? :smallamused: Seriously?

EDIT: Wait, I can't find any spell called Flashfreeze, are you sure that's its name?

Flashfrost its a feat, ccombined with blizzard, wich means if you could give control winds the cold type then it would be able to do 2 cold damage a round as well. I think blizzard is a 6th level spell.

Maybe they have VoP so don't care about the money...

What!!? no money? what kind of adventurers are they then?

Tinydwarfman
2010-04-07, 12:36 PM
Flashfrost its a feat, ccombined with blizzard, wich means if you could give control winds the cold type then it would be able to do 2 cold damage a round as well. I think blizzard is a 6th level spell.

What!!? no money? what kind of adventurers are they then?

Real ones. Adventurers should be stopping/winning wars, journeying into hell, or saving the world from destruction by the time they can cast 6th level spells. And by the standard D&D economy, any city that wouldn't have it's own wizards to to prevent you from doing that would give you a pitiful profit.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-04-07, 12:50 PM
Real ones. Adventurers should be stopping/winning wars, journeying into hell, or saving the world from destruction by the time they can cast 6th level spells. And by the standard D&D economy, any city that wouldn't have it's own wizards to to prevent you from doing that would give you a pitiful profit.

true, but a player far wiser than I (our Half-Aasamir Half-Orc Paladin to be precise) one said, "Heroism is nice, but it doesn't fill my belly or shoe my horse..."

Tinydwarfman
2010-04-07, 12:54 PM
true, but a player far wiser than I (our Half-Aasamir Half-Orc Paladin to be precise) one said, "Heroism is nice, but it doesn't fill my belly or shoe my horse..."

So he isn't interested in preventing world destruction? Or a war that will take millions of lives? :smallconfused: Seriously? He's a paladin?

LichPrinceAlim
2010-04-07, 01:10 PM
So he isn't interested in preventing world destruction? Or a war that will take millions of lives? :smallconfused: Seriously? He's a paladin?

Paladin 5/Dragonslayer 5/Cavalier 2 to be exact. and he worships Wee Jas.

Eldariel
2010-04-07, 03:44 PM

If a level 10+ adventurer needs effort to acquire food, horse shoes or anything mundane (or any amount of money for that matter, really), he's doing something very wrong.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-04-08, 11:13 AM
If a level 10+ adventurer needs effort to acquire food, horse shoes or anything mundane (or any amount of money for that matter, really), he's doing something very wrong.

He's shelling all of his money to keep authorities off his back... So for extra money, he kills dragons and sells the corpses. Our DM is trying to be ultra-realistic about game economy, meaning we barely get paid jack squat for our jobs.

satorian
2010-04-08, 11:17 AM
So he's a paladin of tyranny, I hope?

LichPrinceAlim
2010-04-08, 11:22 AM
So he's a paladin of tyranny, I hope?

No. LG Paladin of Justice. He just killed the evil ruler of the Continent of Zhar...

Emmerask
2010-04-08, 11:24 AM
Dragon Disciples don't use saves? :smallconfused: But seriously, I looked it up now, and it is a very good trade.

Well itīs none stacking afaik so really useless after very few levels^^
and yes itīs a good trade what are the saves on that one and sr?

tyckspoon
2010-04-08, 11:26 AM
He's shelling all of his money to keep authorities off his back... So for extra money, he kills dragons and sells the corpses. Our DM is trying to be ultra-realistic about game economy, meaning we barely get paid jack squat for our jobs.

You're not really supposed to be getting paid for jobs at those levels anyway (at least not as your primary income source, because frankly nobody can realistically afford the proper fee for a 12th level party.) You're supposed to be finding and salvaging unrealistically large treasure hordes as perks of the jobs you take. If you're not, you may have to resort to Greyhawking things.. remember that decorative dungeon elements are often quite valuable. Magical dungeon elements even more so. The eggs and young of exotic beasts have significant value. The next time you take down an Evil Wizard (or a Good Wizard, depending on party) don't just rifle his study for spellbooks and scrolls- take his office furniture, the tapestries on his wall, the fine crystal inkwell from his stationary set, and the glass from his windows. There are rules for value on art goods like that, make your DM use 'em.

Gorbash
2010-04-08, 11:28 AM

Bowen from Dragonheart said that first. :smallamused:

LichPrinceAlim
2010-04-08, 11:33 AM
True, but we mostly get paid by nobles and rich people, but we work for gods, such as Io and Bahamut, who pay us in gold and cool items

and I knew Bowen said it first...